Vitamin E Causing Strange Reactions?

AthenaT

Firstly, hello! I have been reading and absorbing the forum for a few months now and have practically changed my life in the best way - so thanks everyone :)

But this is my first post, and I thought I would just ask since it's been bugging me. The only supplement that I've tried which hasn't worked for me is vitamin E... I've tried 3 different brands (although not the brands recommended here, but they had no unfriendly additives) and every time from each one, about half an hour later, my throat feels swollen and more closed for the next few hours and I'm very sure it's because of the vitamin E. I'm guessing it's just a quality issue and that I'll just have to spend more money on a better one.

I was wondering if it's ok to just skip altogether? It seems like it might be an important one... ?

Thanks! :)

X3CyO

Vitamin E is important if youre eating pufa.

Keeping a 2mg to 1g ratio of e to pufa a day or more is good enough.

If youre certain that what youre taking is causing a negative reaction dont take it.

If youre trying to deplete pufa there are many other approaches. Generally, everything "peaty" in one way or another fixes this ratio anyways.

Filip1993

I have bad reaction to vit e too, both orally and topically. It gives me some sort of anxiety, almost a panic attack. Tried it multiple times.

sladerunner69

Firstly, hello! I have been reading and absorbing the forum for a few months now and have practically changed my life in the best way - so thanks everyone :)

But this is my first post, and I thought I would just ask since it's been bugging me. The only supplement that I've tried which hasn't worked for me is vitamin E... I've tried 3 different brands (although not the brands recommended here, but they had no unfriendly additives) and every time from each one, about half an hour later, my throat feels swollen and more closed for the next few hours and I'm very sure it's because of the vitamin E. I'm guessing it's just a quality issue and that I'll just have to spend more money on a better one.

I was wondering if it's ok to just skip altogether? It seems like it might be an important one... ?

Thanks! :)

Recently Dr. Peat recommended, via email, to avoid all vitamin E. He said there was a new extraction method the companies are using to cut costs, and it has not been studied for long enough yet. He says wait a few years to see what happens.

Or I think you could purchase a high quality mxed toccopherols wheat germ vitamine e, the only one I know being idealabs' tocovit.

ddjd

Recently Dr. Peat recommended, via email, to avoid all vitamin E. He said there was a new extraction method the companies are using to cut costs, and it has not been studied for long enough yet. He says wait a few years to see what happens.

Or I think you could purchase a high quality mxed toccopherols wheat germ vitamine e, the only one I know being idealabs' tocovit.
does this apply to health natura vitamin e also. i get a weird dizziness and anxiety also sometimes when i take it

Filip1993

does this apply to health natura vitamin e also. i get a weird dizziness and anxiety also sometimes when i take it

I get it from all sources of vitamin e, even Tocovit. I also had a Sunscreen with vitamin e that caused problems...

OP
AthenaT

AthenaT

Thanks for the replies!

I can assure you that I am avoiding PUFA and have done for a few months now :) I'm not carrying a LOT of fat, just a little squishy as a girl is, but I'm reasonably small, so maybe it's not an urgent issue.
I tried low fat for a few weeks recently (about 5-10% fat) and whilst it brought awesome energy. it seems to make my libido and skin so unpredictable which is strange for me so I'm still working out the best approach XD
I thought I did read that Vitamin E could be unreliable as a supplement so I thought I'd double check here what people thought.

Thank you for the suggestion as well sladerunner69 ^_^

sladerunner69

Thanks for the replies!

I can assure you that I am avoiding PUFA and have done for a few months now :) I'm not carrying a LOT of fat, just a little squishy as a girl is, but I'm reasonably small, so maybe it's not an urgent issue.
I tried low fat for a few weeks recently (about 5-10% fat) and whilst it brought awesome energy. it seems to make my libido and skin so unpredictable which is strange for me so I'm still working out the best approach XD
I thought I did read that Vitamin E could be unreliable as a supplement so I thought I'd double check here what people thought.

Thank you for the suggestion as well sladerunner69 ^_^

No problemo whatsoevero @AthenaT Just here to help the best I can! <3<3<3

schultz

Vitamin E can cause some intestinal irritation I think. I cannot think of another reason why it would cause the negative symptoms people are discussing in this thread, though @Filip1993 mentioned negative symptoms even from topical application which I find interesting.

The throat thing can come from the thyroid "breathing" if it's been struggling for a long time, or it can be gastric reflux pushing up. There won't ever be a vitamin E that isn't a little bit troubling for the stomach.

ddjd

Anyone tried haiduts vitamin E. Is supposedly the original recipe from wheat germ

OP
AthenaT

AthenaT

Hello there.

Did you try tocotrienols or tocopherols? Were the vitamin E products made from soy and in a soybean oil base or something similar?

Hi, thanks for getting back to me :)
The Vitamin E that caused the bad reaction states: '400 iu of dl-alpha Tocopherol per serving'. I just visited the site and although it doesn't say in the description, one of the comments DOES say that they disapprove of the 'soybean oil carrier', so there's your answer... and mine I suppose...

Damnit, it's kind of my fault, the site is Myprotein and I've had trouble with their quality in the past, I kind of had a feeling it was just a bad quality product but I never thought to look for that until you pointed it out... Do you know why it might be so toxic?

Cheers :)

lepetitcheval

I have used better than half a bottle topically. I use it when I travel (PUFA is unavoidable). I don't notice any adverse effects. I don't really notice any benefit other than the psychological satisfaction of doing the thing that supposedly neutralizes PUFA.

Wagner83

Hi, thanks for getting back to me :)
The Vitamin E that caused the bad reaction states: '400 iu of dl-alpha Tocopherol per serving'. I just visited the site and although it doesn't say in the description, one of the comments DOES say that they disapprove of the 'soybean oil carrier', so there's your answer... and mine I suppose...

Damnit, it's kind of my fault, the site is Myprotein and I've had trouble with their quality in the past, I kind of had a feeling it was just a bad quality product but I never thought to look for that until you pointed it out... Do you know why it might be so toxic?

Cheers :)
I don't know, allergenicity could be an issue, the soy could be genetically modified etc... Oral vitamin E can be an issue for people and 400 IU is a pretty big dose for daily use I think. Did you try it topically?

OP
AthenaT

AthenaT

I don't know, allergenicity could be an issue, the soy could be genetically modified etc... Oral vitamin E can be an issue for people and 400 IU is a pretty big dose for daily use I think. Did you try it topically?

It did feel like an allergic reaction and I've tried it both orally and topically with the same bad reaction. D:
ALTHOUGH, I probably should add, there is a vitamin E (also 400iu) that I bought from a chemist here in Britain, I stupidly didn't realise it contained sunflower oil. Butttt I decided to try it anyway (topically) and I didn't get ANY bad reactions, if anything, I had positive results.

But I'm not sure what the risk is with the oil? It doesn't really say how much there is...
I haven't been taking any E regularly because of all of this and I'm not sure if that could be affecting my health.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals