To Those With A Very Physical Job

IncK

I’m a car mechanic, work 45 hours a week with no breaks and drink one coffee in the morning and drink whole milk as main source of food up to a gallon a day and that is the best thing I’ve found and because I can’t stop for lunch. I would take aspirin for any injuries I get or aches and pains.

Only supplement I would recommend is pregnenolone. But sometimes the body needs rest, I enjoy lounging around when I’m not working.
are u adding salt?? orange juice ,any other carbs

redsun

Do you consider things like b-vitamins and magnesium draining? I realize everybody's situation is different but how are fatigued people supposed to resolve energy issues without taking some sort of metabolic booster?
In high doses, B-vitamins can certainly be draining as many deal with much more frequent blood sugar drops from it. Lower doses is usually not as bad. Too much Mg can block NMDA function which can cause issues.

Something that artificially stimulates the metabolism and nervous system gives more energy but can worsen the problem of low energy in the long run. It doesnt resolve energy issues it just masks it. The most effective way of resolving energy is about proper feeding habits and feeding the right foods as well as sleep. Everyone thinks they have the right diet and yet still deal with being easily fatigued. As I explained before, heavy reliance on caffeine for example worsens fatigue by downregulating adrenergic tone. Our most naturally stimulating foods are animal proteins especially unprocessed animal meat.

Literal energy, the ability to do a task easily without fatigue, is primarily about glutamate and adrenergic tone. Glutamate is the most abundant excitatory neurotransmitter and its action is agonized and dependent on amino acids. Every excitatory function depends on it, including energy metabolism. Stimulants directly or indirectly affect glutamate and norepinephrine/epinephrine to give increase energy. Caffeine by antagonizing adenosine receptors increases release of glutamate and norepinephrine which increase energy.

Amphetamines strongly increase norepinephrine activity which is what triggers a higher energy state, and also why they make you prone to manic behavior and can make super productive because of the abundance of energy you get. With these principals in mind we can then understand what we need to do to increase our own energy levels and maintain steady energy throughout the day.

Sleep is super important. Along with adequate protein, fruit, saturated fats, some starches. For example right when waking up I would have a massive fruit smoothie. Then go to the gym come back have a massive breakfast with 3-6 eggs, krispy potatoes wedges with butter and salt. Along with celery and coffee. Basically Sunlight, relaxing activities and stretching. I used to kayak, go to the beach tan and swim, stretch, foam roll, walk, or jumprope on off days. I found active recovery to work well for me. There is this saying: “Without rest, a man cannot work; without work, the rest does not give you any benefit.” Anyways good luck man. Happy new year!

Last edited:

Zoltanman

@redsun Hi there, I saw your ideas on iron here, can you tell me if you've investigated the iron recirculating system in regards to this?

I'm asking because I've been told (a lot) that iron lodged in tissues and unable to move will mimic anemia. But those iron rich pockets are still super toxic and mal-adaptive. If that's true, could the answer be mobilizing stuck iron with food and supplements that do that, instead?

I'm keen to hear your thoughts, thanks in advance for the help!!

@mrdannyg3 have you ever used liver as a food or supplement? It'll help with iron intake and give a boatload of other things, like retinol and choline, even if desiccated + capped.

OP
M

mrdannyg3

@mrdannyg3 have you ever used liver as a food or supplement? It'll help with iron intake and give a boatload of other things, like retinol and choline, even if desiccated + capped.
+1 for liver, in fact just to make sure I get enough I usually have a few bites every day and wash it down with milk, just so I don't have to have that big 6 oz portion once a week which I would absolutely hate. I've noticed many times that if my thyroid function was low, it seemed I was lacking vitamin A from liver (maybe a few other things in there, too) cuz as soon as I ate it I felt calm, relaxed, warmer etc. As long as I ate it with enough sugar that is.

OP
M

mrdannyg3

@redsun I have a good feeling about meat, in fact a couple weeks ago I was just feeling "off," and cold, couldn't explain it. Tried everything to warm up, but finally it was a cup of ground beef that really increased my temps. To play devil's advocate though, what do you think about the high phosphate, tryptophan, cysteine and methionine?

Zoltanman

+1 for liver, in fact just to make sure I get enough I usually have a few bites every day and wash it down with milk, just so I don't have to have that big 6 oz portion once a week which I would absolutely hate. I've noticed many times that if my thyroid function was low, it seemed I was lacking vitamin A from liver (maybe a few other things in there, too) cuz as soon as I ate it I felt calm, relaxed, warmer etc. As long as I ate it with enough sugar that is.
I'm the same with my liver intake. I like it in caps, with coffee, and something sweet nearby. Daily intake makes a bigger difference to me than a plateful 1 day a week.

I've had a lot of help using retinil from idealabs, as well. Vit A being low can be a limiting factor in iron recirculation, I'm told.

As to the ground beef, look up Georgi's Bulgarian metabolic burger mix... I do it with my minced beef whenever I buy it. Boils down to calcium and gelatin added whenever you're cooking it, to deplete the other too high factors you mentioned.

I am a wildland firefighter. Sleep is crucial. When I'm not on assignment, I have a super comfortable mattress, inclined.

It goes against some nutritional philosophies here, but I drink tons of water and eat lots of red meat, mostly bison, elk, and venison.

Sunshine. If you can't get it, grab a red light.

I supplement magnesium through epsom baths.

Love what you do. I often see people who are mentally fatigued manifest physical fatigue.

redsun

@redsun I have a good feeling about meat, in fact a couple weeks ago I was just feeling "off," and cold, couldn't explain it. Tried everything to warm up, but finally it was a cup of ground beef that really increased my temps. To play devil's advocate though, what do you think about the high phosphate, tryptophan, cysteine and methionine?
Yeh we really do need meat, more than I think a lot of health experts recommend. Many recommend to minimize, I say maximize it. Especially if you have a physically demanding job.

Getting enough calcium (1g or so) is what is important long term for health. I dont think the calcium phosphorus ratio is a concern. The concern is prevent calcium depletion over a period of time. We lose around 200mg or so of calcium daily through urination. Absorption from dairy is about 30% so this allows us to prevent deficiency pretty easily if we get a few servings daily. Amino acids are not really a concern and all them are important for health and regeneration.

@redsun Hi there, I saw your ideas on iron here, can you tell me if you've investigated the iron recirculating system in regards to this?

I'm asking because I've been told (a lot) that iron lodged in tissues and unable to move will mimic anemia. But those iron rich pockets are still super toxic and mal-adaptive. If that's true, could the answer be mobilizing stuck iron with food and supplements that do that, instead?

I'm keen to hear your thoughts, thanks in advance for the help!!

This is ferritin. And you do need certain vitamins and minerals to properly use iron. If you lack one or some this may negatively iron-dependent processes.

And looks like a firefighter just posted about his diet, further confirming what you need. Massive red meat intake. Go figure, there is no way else can you have the kind of fortitude you need imo.

Zoltanman

Yeh we really do need meat, more than I think a lot of health experts recommend. Many recommend to minimize, I say maximize it. Especially if you have a physically demanding job.

Getting enough calcium (1g or so) is what is important long term for health. I dont think the calcium phosphorus ratio is a concern. The concern is prevent calcium depletion over a period of time. We lose around 200mg or so of calcium daily through urination. Absorption from dairy is about 30% so this allows us to prevent deficiency pretty easily if we get a few servings daily. Amino acids are not really a concern and all them are important for health and regeneration.

This is ferritin. And you do need certain vitamins and minerals to properly use iron. If you lack one or some this may negatively iron-dependent processes.

And looks like a firefighter just posted about his diet, further confirming what you need. Massive red meat intake. Go figure, there is no way else can you have the kind of fortitude you need imo.
Awesome, thanks for the info! I'm going to hit a higher red meat target after reading this thread, too :):

Do you think there's a daily glass ceiling for calcium intake? ie: you can only take in X so more than that is unnecessary?

I feel like I'm pretty calcium depleted, myself.

Demyze

gelatin and sodium

Veritas IV

There was a post i read here a week or two ago. The fellow mentioned working a construction job and noticing fatigue if he lapsed on his salt intake. He seemed to have in salt intake dialed in pretty good and easily noticed when his body was running low.

I agree with high quality protein as well. I also shake some collagen into my ground beef, after it's finished cooking, to improve the amino acid ratio a bit.

OP
M

mrdannyg3

I'm too understanding the importance of salt, as I pee more and sleep becomes worse if I don't have it in sufficient quantities. It's on the high end, I would say I have a tablespoon of salt a day to offset the high fluid intake of milk and oj. I don't have time to prepare meals so it's usually higher liquids as I can just throw in a thermos and go. I monitor blood pressure closely and it remains relatively normal, 130/80

Demyze

I'm too understanding the importance of salt, as I pee more and sleep becomes worse if I don't have it in sufficient quantities. It's on the high end, I would say I have a tablespoon of salt a day to offset the high fluid intake of milk and oj. I don't have time to prepare meals so it's usually higher liquids as I can just throw in a thermos and go. I monitor blood pressure closely and it remains relatively normal, 130/80
Do you eat liver and oysters?
Have you gotten a vitamin D blood test and do you supplement with it?
You may also just need more protein and sugar, you can make simple syrup and add it to milk.
Bodily Resources vs Demands – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
Carbohydrate Lowers Exercise Induced Stress – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
Simple Syrup
*I do this but add instant coffee powder

Luann

I have had fairly physical jobs before, but not now.
How is your footwear? The wrong kind can place lots of stress on the rest of your body.
I hope that you get your energy back.

GreenTrails

Heavily fatigued after work, guys. I need a few hours just sitting around to even want to move off the couch; clearly a big increase in estrogen, seretonin, lactic acid etc. from the work day (I'm in the trades). Any tips from those with a similar demanding, physical work day (maybe nurses, tradesmen, mechanics, those always on foot)? Do you take anything that really helps keep energy levels up and fatigue at bay? I'll address the obvious - yes it's just best to find a new job.
I think you got some very good advice here, especially from redsun, and others, also.

DMF

Do you have access to a pool, or even better, a natural body of water?
Swimming is the BEST activity (therapy) after a long day of physical labor - whatever it maybe.
Its non-weight baring, easy & good for the joints, and will leave you re-invigorated. Amazingly re-storative no matter how tired you feel.
Try it - you'll like it.

OP
M

mrdannyg3

Do you eat liver and oysters?
Have you gotten a vitamin D blood test and do you supplement with it?
I consume liver/oysters in adequate amounts and vitamin D runs a little low usually for me. I haven't seen it above 41, I test twice a year.
How is your footwear? The wrong kind can place lots of stress on the rest of your body.
I hope that you get your energy back.
Just got new boots, good suggestion. Thanks for the kind words.
Swimming is the BEST activity (therapy) after a long day of physical labor - whatever it maybe.
I've got a pool half a mile from my house, I think I'll be looking into passes for it. Thanks!

bornamachine

OP, 1)what to do you suspect may be causing the problem (since you are doing quite a bit diet related) and 2)when has this problem started? 3) what changed when this started and was it a gradual change or a sudden one? 4) what have you noticed that makes the biggest difference? 5)Have you investigated your house for mold?

Quote me if you reply otherwise I won't see notification

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals