Broad Spectrum Improvements SANS Thyroid Medication

Jon

Hey all,

Wanted to share my experiences and improvements so far after implementing Peat diet and lifestyle strategies without ever using thyroid hormone (though I eventually will).

I'll cover Digestion, Temperature, Heart Rate, Fatigue, Sleep, and Body Fat.

Digestion: My digestion has been terrible all my life. It was either diarrhea or constipation since I can remember. Had terrible digestive ability to most good (i.e. Coming out looking like it went in) so my finding hopefully will help some people.

This digestive recovery began with 2 peat controversial foods: kimchi (fermented cabbage in chili paste) and white potatoes. Hear me out; I know kimchi is a no no because of goitrogens BUT it undeniably fixes my digestion. Is it a probiotic action? NO, it's a chelation action! Cabbage is apparently a very effective iron chelator! And by God it helped me! After 2-3 tbsp a day for 2 days, no matter how bad my digestion has gotten, makes it so everything is digested perfectly and comfortably. Have since stopped eating it since digestion is great, and am very interested in trying activated charcoal intermittently to see if it's effects are similar/better than kimchi. Also AC would help me to avoid the goitrogens and lactic acid kimchi contains.

Next is potatoes. Well cooked potatoes; preferably fried in a skillet OR mashed make BM transit times optimal. Well cooked potatoes seem to be just the right amount of fiber:starch ratio for proper consistency of bolus. I noticed that other food eaten with potatoes is integrated into the bolus very well seeming to help the digestion of those foods as well as easing their elimination, especially with fruit and veggies like mushrooms which were nearly impossible for me to digest before. One caveat here is that I do eat the whole potato. I believe the skin in valuable for its mineral content and is integral in slowing transit time to keep from diarrhea and malabsorption that just the starchy flesh might cause (it has for me anyway) if eaten without the skin. Potatoes make me feel warm, seem to help slow transit time of fruit enough to digest it properly, help me digest solid proteins (muscle meats) and keep me warm so for me they're a staple.

Short of these two things, the only other thing that has improved digestion is having a moderate amount of fat in my diet to sustain bile production, as well as making sure to disperse oral supplements throughout the day since taking a handful of pills always seems to make for a harder bolus coinciding with the point in time the pills were taken. Coffee also has helped as it actually stimulates the gal bladder for bile production.

A side note is that I believe a balance of solid and liquid foods is best as I have never had a good experience with a mostly liquid diet.

Temperature:
A difficult one for me. Temp is never above 97.5F but the one thing that has helped most profoundly is CO2 supplementation. I work in the medical field and often have to wear a surgical mask. After reading a study a member posted on surgeons increasing health parameters (though they didn't realize it lol) by wearing a surgical mask through long surgeries I decided to just wear one all day at work. IT WORKED. My temperature stayed above 98f all day!! The only thing that had a sustained temperature raising effect other than this was high dose niacinamide dispersed throughout a day (1g). The only sucky thing for most people would be having to wear a mask for 7+ hours a day if you don't work in the medical field like me. The other thing I did while wearing my mask was breathe through my nose calmly as much as I could (think buteyko). I'm now very interested in making the VoS paintball cO2 mask if a member here knows how to set one up I'd appreciate the info!

Hear Rate: best thing so far has been the cO2 supplementation (surgical mask) Niacinamide, Coffee, Sugar, and LOTS of potatoes lol also help but the cO2 was the most profound and sustained.

Fatigue: A multifaceted aspect of health and one of the most complicated to overcome. I've had some great strides in this area lately. Firstly, taking 2 weeks off of any and all exercise was huge lol. I know this doesn't apply to all members here but to those that do weight train it's a very important strategy. Deloads are a good idea after a couple weeks of strength training with the basic scheme being 3-8 weeks of progression and 1 week of 1/2 effort training to recoup from cns and structural overload. I would suggest if you're like I was and very fatigued, to take 1-2 weeks completely away from strength training and just keep eating a healthful diet. At first I got a big time "De-Stress" reaction where my stress hormones were clearly dropping and I felt very hypothyroid/metabolically low. After 5 days of those symptoms (lessening each day) I finally felt normal and even good. I also dropped all caffeine during the two weeks to assure my adrenals weren't getting taxed. Some studies have shown in certain reguards (like starvation) that 14 days with the proper substrate (food/rest) was the minimal amount of time to rebound hormonally to a well functioning metabolism, this is why the 2 week lay off made sense. Also studies have shown that 2 weeks away from strength training after 4 weeks of hard training led to no loss of lean tissue or strength gained. (Sorry for not posting the studies but a google search will readily bring them up)

The other part of fatigue is obviously food and rest but we all know that. 2 things that helped pretty much immediately with a transient total reversal of fatigue (I.e were contingent upon frequent use) were Baking soda and Gerolsteiner Mineral water (used apart) A tsp or 2 of baking soda over the course of 6-8 hours made any signs of fatigue disappear as well as made me stronger in the gym. BS is high in bicarbonate which reduces lactic acid and also stimulates cAMP levels. Mineral water has and does all the same things as baking soda plus has other minerals which aid in relaxation and fatigue reduction. No other mineral water has helped in this way like Gerolsteiner. It's very high in minerals, and after drinking about 70oz of it over the course of the day it had even better effects than the baking soda. It made me stronger in the gym AND won't hurt your stomach like baking soda can if you ingest too much.

Sleep: This is one I have yet to completely ameliorate but I can actually sleep now which is a vast improvement. I've realized that supplements ruin my sleep taken right before bed. Doesn't matter what it is, even things that should relax me like anti histamine, gelatin, or glycine. Cessation of supplements after 6pm is a must for me otherwise I can't sleep at all. Being able to sleep only came about when, just like stopping supplements, I stopped any exertion after 6pm and stayed away from cold foods like ice cream or cold juice or cold milk.

Body fat: I have always been controlled with calories so this has never exactly been hard to figure out for me BUT because I have always tracked my calories I am aware of just how much food I'm eating at any given time and what's happened lately is positive. After taking a long layoff from physical activity and implementing all the things I've talked about, I am now able to eat roughly 400 calories more a day without any weight gain. By just eating as often as I felt like and being mindful to watch for signs of stress reactions be it from to long without food or eating too much in a sitting and avoiding such reactions I have found that 8-9 meals a day at 300-400 cals each containing Protein:15-20g/Carbs: 40-50g/Fat: 6-9g. This comes to roughly 3200cals. The most impressive part of this is I gained no weight from stopping working out for the two weeks which my my calculation burned about 600-700 cals a session! So I quite possibly boosted my sedentary maintenance calorie level my 1100 calories! I love eating so it's awesome in that I get to eat more food lol but even more exciting that with my compromised thyroidbhealth I have made such strides. Visually I first became very puffy with edema when ceasing weight training and gained about 3lbs. I believe this happened because my body began eliminating the copious amounts of hydrophilic stress hormones circulating through me. Once the amount of stress hormone decreases from the serum I lost all the weight through urination plus a pound which led to me being a pound lighter than before I took the time off. I have not gained any of the weight back after 4 weeks which I believe shows signs of a sustained and improved inflammatory system.

This is my progression so far! Any questions or comments or advice is much welcomed and appreciated!

Peatful

Hi @Jon
Thx for this.
I want to to know your timeline. ie...when did you start? When did you notice improvement? Did you tackle all at once or stagger different strategies and changes in?
Lastly, what did not work for you?
You state a high liquid diet, which I completely agree with.
My opinion is the much overlooked blood sugar stabilization was key to your success looking at your macro ratio.

Last edited:
OP
Jon

Jon

Hi @Jon
Thx for this.
I want to to know your timeline. ie...when did you start? When did you notice improvement? Did you tackle all at once or stagger different strategies and changes in?
My opinion is the much overlooked blood sugar stabilization was key to your success looking at your macro ratio.

Hey Peatful :)

Well I should've mentioned that I've been having all the signs and symptoms of low thyroid for at least 4 years that I'm aware of definitively, but have possibly been hypo my whole life as it runs on both sides of my family. The greatest part of my findings is that most of the improvements happened in a couple hours to maybe 2 days at the most and if it took two days it was a constant improvement of symptoms throughout the 48 hours.

Nothing that helped me took long at all. Digestion was fixed in 2 days according to my journal that I keep. Kimchi and potatoes were the main players here! After two days of eating those with every meal I suddenly became able to digest anything with ease. Also I noticed that my nose cleared up and no longer got stuffy nor was it stuffed when I woke up which used to be my status quo and that's pretty telling given that I had severe asthma as a child into my pre teens and have had allergies to pet dander, grass, pollen etc all my life.

Things that didn't work for digestion were any and all probiotic supplements. They just constipated me and made me irregular. A copious amount of supps at one time always constipated me as well. Also as stated a high liquid diet messed with me and a high sucrose/fructose diet always showed signs of malabsorption upon elimination (oddly sweet smelling stools that were either runny or tarish and green). I fixed my digestion before my layoff from weight training.

Temperature and heart rate We're both improved to near normal healthy levels through c02 supplementation in 1 day of intensely focusing on a constant supply of c02 through use of a surgical mask. Niacinamide seemed to help as well which I did apart from the c02. Aspirin sent me into an intense state of hypothyroid at just one 80mg dose by lowering my stress hormones and my fat oxidation which in turn left me with only my poor ability to oxidize glucose and my poor thyroid based metabolism so I got very cold, tired, and hungry. Caffeine works for me in small 50mg doses through instant coffee but any more than that at once and get a stress response and hands and feet go cold and would also give me insomnia.

Fatigue: this one was also relieved in just a couple hours of baking soda or Gerolsteiner mineral water but the effects were contingent on constant frequent use (which really inst a hard thing to do soncevit just entails drinking water or a beverage spiked with baking soda). The more permanent solution to fatigue came drone enough food at frequent enough intervals to avoid hunger and stress and also not engaging in intense exercise for 2 weeks and just being a couch potato lol. After my 2 week layoff when going back to weight lifting I have still avoided all the fatigue I had before and will soon be taking another week off to make sure to manage my stress levels before they get out of hand again. B vitamins are something I have to say did not work for me (b1, b2, b3, b7) in large doses and actually initiated some stress and fatigue in the form of headaches and gastric pain, anxiety, and drowsiness. I've found that supplemental doses of each just above the rda don't have this effect if spread very thin throughout the day by adding a pure powder of each to the total amount of orange juice I drink throughout the day which is consumed 4-8oz; 3-6x a day for a total of 24oz of natural non concentrate juice.

Sleep: This one still gives me troubles and has taken the longest to improve out of the health markers I've covered. Reducing chronic stresses were key in being able to fall asleep at all. Staying asleep beyond 5hrs at a time is a different story. I have sleep disturbance every night at 5hrs of sleep which is something that didn't happen to me until the last 4 years. I believe it's a glycogen storage issue paired with low thyroid output during nightly hormonal pulsing. Thiamin, riboflavin, niacinamide, nor taurine have had any impact on staying asleep. Aspirin and niacinamide both definitely helped me relax enough to sleep HARD for my usual 5 hours but didn't keep me asleep.

Body fat: this one is complicated as far as time goes because it's sort of been a life long work in progress. I will say that in the two weeks I spent away from the gym my metabolism improved greatly but I've also had great success at improving it before that. There was a point about 6 years ago where anymore than 2200 calories a day and I'd gain fat (activity level is the same now as then) but after learning about things like optimal macro ratios "reverse dieting" and "lean muscle gain" I became able to consume 2880 calories a day without fat gain over the course of I'd say 2 years. The only reason it took so long is that I was actively practicing protocols while still not really understanding them lol I believe if I had understood how to implement metabolism boosting strategies back then as I do now I would have been able to accomplish the 620cal jump from 2200 to 2880 in 6 weeks. This most recent jump in calories happened somewhat unexpectedly and quite fast but really wasn't a focus like before, I just decided to pay very close attention to hunger and satiety cues and the extra 400ish calories were just what my body said I needed to not feel stressed. Things that haven't worked for me are shoveling in a ton of sugar as we already discussed. Though i can't say Weight gain was happening from it, I will say it gave me acne. Also copious amounts of fat have never treated me well, and does seem to make me gain weight easier (which makes sense) even when eating the same calories a fat ratio too high seems to lead to quicker weight gain and terribly satiety.

Ilalso as a couple of updates I did try 1/4 Cup of activated charcoal last night and it went well. Though after reading about its detoxification/chelation abilities I was bummed to find it does not chelate iron but still does some great things and gave me no bowel obstruction or slow transit time. Everything was normal except the color lol.

Also Vitamin C has become a big part of my supplementation. After reading in Nathan hatch's blog f*ckportioncontrol.com about vitamin c treating hypothyroid by healing the adrenals I decided to start taking 1g of vitamin c a day which at first did not work. My urinations burned alittle and nothing else seemed different after two weeks of trying it. This time aroubd I decided to try it again during my two week lay off from lifting and it's working! Insomnia has hit me for the past 4 weeks to where I can't sleep and the only thing that really changed was vitamin c. Supposedly this will happen if supplementing high amounts of vitamin c in the right fashion when trying to heal from adrenal fatigue as the vitamin c allows the adrenals to make adequate amounts of stress hormones and takes much taxation off the body from having to scrounge its limited stores of vitamin c for hormone production and immune system function. Nathan suggests if insomnia occurs to take a small dose of pregnenolone (50-100mg) and that should illeviate the latent insomnia. I'm going to try this tomorrow night if tonight I still have trouble falling asleep.

Hopefully I gave you some sense of time lines and dead ends?

Anymore questions just ask!

OP
Jon

Jon

@Peatful oh one more thing is that I always used a new supplement by itself after a day or two if ceasing other supplements and would give it atleast a week so see if it had any benefits or negatives. Keeping a journal of all my experiences has helped greatly with this and made it easier to be patient and delve into one thing at a time. I know the feelings of "I just wanna be healthy right now dammit!!" All too well but being rash and reckless with implementing new things never got me anywhere so I suggest to any and all that if you don't want to spin your wheels anymore, be patient, be concise, be accurate, don't chase perfect. Seemed to work for me so far after lots of disappointment doing the opposite.

OP
Jon

Jon

Hi @Jon
Thx for this.

And I also wanted to say your are undoubtedly right about blood sugar stabilization! Definitely not something I overlooked but it was easy to fall in line with it because it goes hand in hand with everything else in the body working as it should :)

Peatful

Very thorough responses. All those details are appreciated. Thanks for taking the time.
I have a bottle of pregnenalone, unopened.
Would love to hear your dosage and your impressions when you start it. You seem to be very aware and discerning, so I value your feedback.

OP
Jon

Jon

@Peatful

Just happy to share the knowledge with others who are perusing getting healthy. I think it's a very admirable persuit and should be rewarded with others help if a person is going about it earnhestly!

Will be sure to give you feedback should I decide to use the pregnenolone. It will be in a 60mg dose as all I have are 30mg capsules and I really don't wanna bust one open just to sepperate 10mg out lol. I believe starting in a low dose of anything new is best.

Constatine

Thanks for sharing. People underestimate the use of baking soda for lactic acid problems. It got me through lactic acidosis due to poor gut health (after antibiotics for a bad spider bite) a while back. Ill have to try Gerolsteiner.
I'm very impressed you beat all your symptoms in just 2 weeks. This thread needs to get a lot of attention.

Last edited:
OP
Jon

Jon

Thanks for sharing. People underestimate the use of baking soda for lactic acid problems. It got me through lactic acidosis due to poor gut health (after antibiotics for a bad spider bite) a while back. Ill have to try Gerolsteiner.
I'm very impressed you beat all your symptoms in just 2 weeks. This thread needs to get a lot of attention.

Baking soda is profound stuff! The only thing is it's hard to figure out just the right dose and it's easy to upset you stomach with it. That's why I like the Gerolsteiner because it has the same effects with no stomach upset and it's carbonated. It's pretty awesome how quickly things turn around if you're able to figure out the right things. Unfortunately temp and heart rate are more transient fixes as I still wake up with low temps and heart rate so I'm going to try a little t3 soon to make them more permanent fixes.

Thanks for the compliment :)

Constatine

Baking soda is profound stuff! The only thing is it's hard to figure out just the right dose and it's easy to upset you stomach with it. That's why I like the Gerolsteiner because it has the same effects with no stomach upset and it's carbonated. It's pretty awesome how quickly things turn around if you're able to figure out the right things. Unfortunately temp and heart rate are more transient fixes as I still wake up with low temps and heart rate so I'm going to try a little t3 soon to make them more permanent fixes.

Thanks for the compliment :)
Yeah baking soda almost always gives me an upset stomach. Do you know if it can be absorbed topically? Baking soda bath anyone?

OP
Jon

Jon

Yeah baking soda almost always gives me an upset stomach. Do you know if it can be absorbed topically? Baking soda bath anyone?

Seems reasonable that you could do that just like Epsom salts. A better option may be nebulizer treatments with a baking soda solution. If you don't have a nebulizer you might be able to rig up a humidifier to do the same by figuring out a way to funnel the steam to concentrate it and breathe it.

Constatine

Seems reasonable that you could do that just like Epsom salts. A better option may be nebulizer treatments with a baking soda solution. If you don't have a nebulizer you might be able to rig up a humidifier to do the same by figuring out a way to funnel the steam to concentrate it and breathe it.
No nebulizer but I can get creative. I'll have to try out the Gerolsteiner.

raypeatclips

@Jon When you eat potatoes, do you cook them fresh with each meal, or do you cook ahead and reheat? Do you cook them for 30+ plus as Peat mentions to prevent the starch persorption?

I noticed you said the iron lowering aspect of kimchi is what improved your digestion. I wondered if you had considered donating blood at all, and how did that compare to kimchi?

OP
Jon

Jon

@Jon When you eat potatoes, do you cook them fresh with each meal, or do you cook ahead and reheat? Do you cook them for 30+ plus as Peat mentions to prevent the starch persorption?

I noticed you said the iron lowering aspect of kimchi is what improved your digestion. I wondered if you had considered donating blood at all, and how did that compare to kimchi?

Actually I never really worried about presorption, at first out of ignorance to what it even was, then out of a viewpoint that maybe it's not as bad as we think due to studies done on resistant starch and how it will nearly instantly lower post prandial blood sugars and shunt triglycerides into muscle cells (clearing blood for insulin utilization) upon ingestion and that made me think it's mechanism must operate somewhat by presorption instead of just by helping flora create more byuteric acid (which would require it traveling to the lower intestines for processing which takes a minimum of 8-24hrs) all that being said, I actually would just dice them up and fry them in a skillet potatoes obrien style with about 6-10g of hydrogenated coconut oil. Usually this takes about 20mins on medium heat with a tight fitting lid on your skillet and tossing the potatoes once every 4-6 minutes. If I make enough to have left overs then I put them in a glass Tupperware and refrigerate them. I reheat them usually for around a minute in a microwave.

I never considered donating blood simply because I wasn't certain iron overload was my issue. It seemed plausible to me that it could be given my poor digestion issues, post nasal drip, and cavities as a child. But because I wasn't certain I decided to try kimchi because it seemed safer than donating blood and possibly lowering my iron too much. It seemed to work though! Digestion improved so drastically that it was almost like I never had issues in the first place! I don't eat kimchi regularly anymore as I don't like the bacterial by products in it but I do think it was a fantastic therapeutic intervention for me.

raypeatclips

@Jon I wondered if you considered the bacteria in kimchi being responsible for the improvement of your gut symptoms? I recently donated blood hoping it would improve some gut symptoms, as well as eating very low iron since (no red meat) and felt no improvement in gut symptoms. I started researching other gut things and came across a few things that reminded me of your experience. I found a list of foods and the bacteria found within them.

Beneficial lactobacilli in food and feed: long-term use, biodiversity and proposals for specific and realistic safety assessments | FEMS Microbiology Reviews | Oxford Academic

Sauerkraut, which is (as far as I'm aware) Very similar to kimchi, both fermented/pickled cabbage products lists "Lb. plantarum, Lb. brevis" as being contained within in.

Plantarum has been found to improve gut issues:

Clinical trial: Lactobacillus plantarum 299v (DSM 9843) improves symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome
Alteration of intestinal microflora is associated with reduction in abdominal bloating and pain in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. - PubMed - NCBI
Physiological Characteristics and Anti-obesity Effect of Lactobacillus plantarum K10. - PubMed - NCBI

Brevis

Effect of combined consumption of Lactobacillus brevis KB290 and β-carotene on minor diarrhoea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome-like symptoms i... - PubMed - NCBI

JustAGuy

@Jon I wondered if you considered the bacteria in kimchi being responsible for the improvement of your gut symptoms? I recently donated blood hoping it would improve some gut symptoms, as well as eating very low iron since (no red meat) and felt no improvement in gut symptoms. I started researching other gut things and came across a few things that reminded me of your experience. I found a list of foods and the bacteria found within them.

Beneficial lactobacilli in food and feed: long-term use, biodiversity and proposals for specific and realistic safety assessments | FEMS Microbiology Reviews | Oxford Academic

Sauerkraut, which is (as far as I'm aware) Very similar to kimchi, both fermented/pickled cabbage products lists "Lb. plantarum, Lb. brevis" as being contained within in.

Plantarum has been found to improve gut issues:

Clinical trial: Lactobacillus plantarum 299v (DSM 9843) improves symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome
Alteration of intestinal microflora is associated with reduction in abdominal bloating and pain in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. - PubMed - NCBI
Physiological Characteristics and Anti-obesity Effect of Lactobacillus plantarum K10. - PubMed - NCBI

Brevis

Effect of combined consumption of Lactobacillus brevis KB290 and β-carotene on minor diarrhoea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome-like symptoms i... - PubMed - NCBI
Regarding this just thought I'd chime in with my experience with probiotics.

When I was 13 years old I had pneumonia, and taken antibiotics for this.
Ever since the course of antibiotics I developed very severe IBS constipation. Literally could not go to the toilet without laxatives and had very painful stomach cramps (so painful that I fainted from the pain on multiple occasions). And it kept getting worse over the years needing more and more laxatives (I started with 1 sachet of the laxative powder daily initially when I was 13 and ended up taking 5 sachets daily when I was 19).
I had been to tons of Dr's etc over the years with 0 improvement.
Up untill I took matters into my own hands when I turned 19 years old, eventually after about a year of trying every single thing on the planet I managed to fix it, and have completely normal bowel movements now (for a few years already with 0 problems).
For me the golden ticket was home made raw milk Kefir.
Instantly upon taking it I had severe diarrhea, and within a few days (less than a week time) my IBS was completely gone.
I have not taken kefir for years and my bowel movements stay normal.

raypeatclips

Regarding this just thought I'd chime in with my experience with probiotics.

When I was 13 years old I had pneumonia, and taken antibiotics for this.
Ever since the course of antibiotics I developed very severe IBS constipation. Literally could not go to the toilet without laxatives and had very painful stomach cramps (so painful that I fainted from the pain on multiple occasions). And it kept getting worse over the years needing more and more laxatives (I started with 1 sachet of the laxative powder daily initially when I was 13 and ended up taking 5 sachets daily when I was 19).
I had been to tons of Dr's etc over the years with 0 improvement.
Up untill I took matters into my own hands when I turned 19 years old, eventually after about a year of trying every single thing on the planet I managed to fix it, and have completely normal bowel movements now (for a few years already with 0 problems).
For me the golden ticket was home made raw milk Kefir.
Instantly upon taking it I had severe diarrhea, and within a few days (less than a week time) my IBS was completely gone.
I have not taken kefir for years and my bowel movements stay normal.

Fascinating thanks for the story! How many times did you drink the kefir before stopping and retaining the benefits?

JustAGuy

Fascinating thanks for the story! How many times did you drink the kefir before stopping and retaining the benefits?
I took about 500ml daily for about a week. I noticed a change within a day (I had constipation for literally 6 years every single day, and I immediately had diarrhea after taking the kefir for one day, which subsided after a few days).
I recommend you to very slowly ease into kefir, start off with like 50ml to see what effect it has on you, I think I went in too radical, but it worked in the end.
I also remember that I had lots of gas in the first few days, so something was going on for sure bacteria-wise. Kefir supposedly also contains some prebiotic substances/yeasts etc.

vulture

Interesting what you said about Aspirin, that lowered your stress hormones and you ended up feeling cold and low heart rate...I've being trying tyronene and initially (two times) felt damn good, but now I don't see a rise in temp or pulse, I even feel colder and slower in heart rate than when I wasn't using it and just were using 11-Keto DHT and Methylene blue or Mesterolone and coffee. I guess that could be an hypothesis: lowered stress hormones.

Waynish

Hey all,

Wanted to share my experiences and improvements so far after implementing Peat diet and lifestyle strategies without ever using thyroid hormone (though I eventually will).

I'll cover Digestion, Temperature, Heart Rate, Fatigue, Sleep, and Body Fat.

Digestion: My digestion has been terrible all my life. It was either diarrhea or constipation since I can remember. Had terrible digestive ability to most good (i.e. Coming out looking like it went in) so my finding hopefully will help some people.

This digestive recovery began with 2 peat controversial foods: kimchi (fermented cabbage in chili paste) and white potatoes. Hear me out; I know kimchi is a no no because of goitrogens BUT it undeniably fixes my digestion. Is it a probiotic action? NO, it's a chelation action! Cabbage is apparently a very effective iron chelator! And by God it helped me! After 2-3 tbsp a day for 2 days, no matter how bad my digestion has gotten, makes it so everything is digested perfectly and comfortably. Have since stopped eating it since digestion is great, and am very interested in trying activated charcoal intermittently to see if it's effects are similar/better than kimchi. Also AC would help me to avoid the goitrogens and lactic acid kimchi contains.

Next is potatoes. Well cooked potatoes; preferably fried in a skillet OR mashed make BM transit times optimal. Well cooked potatoes seem to be just the right amount of fiber:starch ratio for proper consistency of bolus. I noticed that other food eaten with potatoes is integrated into the bolus very well seeming to help the digestion of those foods as well as easing their elimination, especially with fruit and veggies like mushrooms which were nearly impossible for me to digest before. One caveat here is that I do eat the whole potato. I believe the skin in valuable for its mineral content and is integral in slowing transit time to keep from diarrhea and malabsorption that just the starchy flesh might cause (it has for me anyway) if eaten without the skin. Potatoes make me feel warm, seem to help slow transit time of fruit enough to digest it properly, help me digest solid proteins (muscle meats) and keep me warm so for me they're a staple.

Short of these two things, the only other thing that has improved digestion is having a moderate amount of fat in my diet to sustain bile production, as well as making sure to disperse oral supplements throughout the day since taking a handful of pills always seems to make for a harder bolus coinciding with the point in time the pills were taken. Coffee also has helped as it actually stimulates the gal bladder for bile production.

A side note is that I believe a balance of solid and liquid foods is best as I have never had a good experience with a mostly liquid diet.

Temperature:
A difficult one for me. Temp is never above 97.5F but the one thing that has helped most profoundly is CO2 supplementation. I work in the medical field and often have to wear a surgical mask. After reading a study a member posted on surgeons increasing health parameters (though they didn't realize it lol) by wearing a surgical mask through long surgeries I decided to just wear one all day at work. IT WORKED. My temperature stayed above 98f all day!! The only thing that had a sustained temperature raising effect other than this was high dose niacinamide dispersed throughout a day (1g). The only sucky thing for most people would be having to wear a mask for 7+ hours a day if you don't work in the medical field like me. The other thing I did while wearing my mask was breathe through my nose calmly as much as I could (think buteyko). I'm now very interested in making the VoS paintball cO2 mask if a member here knows how to set one up I'd appreciate the info!

Hear Rate: best thing so far has been the cO2 supplementation (surgical mask) Niacinamide, Coffee, Sugar, and LOTS of potatoes lol also help but the cO2 was the most profound and sustained.

Fatigue: A multifaceted aspect of health and one of the most complicated to overcome. I've had some great strides in this area lately. Firstly, taking 2 weeks off of any and all exercise was huge lol. I know this doesn't apply to all members here but to those that do weight train it's a very important strategy. Deloads are a good idea after a couple weeks of strength training with the basic scheme being 3-8 weeks of progression and 1 week of 1/2 effort training to recoup from cns and structural overload. I would suggest if you're like I was and very fatigued, to take 1-2 weeks completely away from strength training and just keep eating a healthful diet. At first I got a big time "De-Stress" reaction where my stress hormones were clearly dropping and I felt very hypothyroid/metabolically low. After 5 days of those symptoms (lessening each day) I finally felt normal and even good. I also dropped all caffeine during the two weeks to assure my adrenals weren't getting taxed. Some studies have shown in certain reguards (like starvation) that 14 days with the proper substrate (food/rest) was the minimal amount of time to rebound hormonally to a well functioning metabolism, this is why the 2 week lay off made sense. Also studies have shown that 2 weeks away from strength training after 4 weeks of hard training led to no loss of lean tissue or strength gained. (Sorry for not posting the studies but a google search will readily bring them up)

The other part of fatigue is obviously food and rest but we all know that. 2 things that helped pretty much immediately with a transient total reversal of fatigue (I.e were contingent upon frequent use) were Baking soda and Gerolsteiner Mineral water (used apart) A tsp or 2 of baking soda over the course of 6-8 hours made any signs of fatigue disappear as well as made me stronger in the gym. BS is high in bicarbonate which reduces lactic acid and also stimulates cAMP levels. Mineral water has and does all the same things as baking soda plus has other minerals which aid in relaxation and fatigue reduction. No other mineral water has helped in this way like Gerolsteiner. It's very high in minerals, and after drinking about 70oz of it over the course of the day it had even better effects than the baking soda. It made me stronger in the gym AND won't hurt your stomach like baking soda can if you ingest too much.

Sleep: This is one I have yet to completely ameliorate but I can actually sleep now which is a vast improvement. I've realized that supplements ruin my sleep taken right before bed. Doesn't matter what it is, even things that should relax me like anti histamine, gelatin, or glycine. Cessation of supplements after 6pm is a must for me otherwise I can't sleep at all. Being able to sleep only came about when, just like stopping supplements, I stopped any exertion after 6pm and stayed away from cold foods like ice cream or cold juice or cold milk.

Body fat: I have always been controlled with calories so this has never exactly been hard to figure out for me BUT because I have always tracked my calories I am aware of just how much food I'm eating at any given time and what's happened lately is positive. After taking a long layoff from physical activity and implementing all the things I've talked about, I am now able to eat roughly 400 calories more a day without any weight gain. By just eating as often as I felt like and being mindful to watch for signs of stress reactions be it from to long without food or eating too much in a sitting and avoiding such reactions I have found that 8-9 meals a day at 300-400 cals each containing Protein:15-20g/Carbs: 40-50g/Fat: 6-9g. This comes to roughly 3200cals. The most impressive part of this is I gained no weight from stopping working out for the two weeks which my my calculation burned about 600-700 cals a session! So I quite possibly boosted my sedentary maintenance calorie level my 1100 calories! I love eating so it's awesome in that I get to eat more food lol but even more exciting that with my compromised thyroidbhealth I have made such strides. Visually I first became very puffy with edema when ceasing weight training and gained about 3lbs. I believe this happened because my body began eliminating the copious amounts of hydrophilic stress hormones circulating through me. Once the amount of stress hormone decreases from the serum I lost all the weight through urination plus a pound which led to me being a pound lighter than before I took the time off. I have not gained any of the weight back after 4 weeks which I believe shows signs of a sustained and improved inflammatory system.

This is my progression so far! Any questions or comments or advice is much welcomed and appreciated!
If it's the cabbage that's chelating iron, then wouldn't well cooked cabbage in butter do just as well as Kimchi? Better taste too imo

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals