The Organ Meats That Should Not Be Eaten (According To Ray Peat)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Cirion

In for answers. I currently enjoy liverwurst which has kidney, heart, and liver. Chris masterjohn speaks favorably towards those organs as well.

dfspcc20

I remember reading something like that, but I don't know why he thinks they are not good for consumption. Anyone know why?

I think it was just a personal preference from Peat. He doesn't like the taste.

paymanz

Bone marrow is another suspect, he eats them? They are high in iron i remember.

J

jb116

No, Peat opposes bone marrow. Also the kidney thing went like this: somebody asked him why don't you like kidney and his response was "I've never smelled one I like." lol

Lilac

What might his opinion of tripe be? I've never had it but occasionally thought I should give it a try.

milkboi

I once ate a bite of kidney... It was the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted :D

orangeUglad

Apparently beef kidney is the absolute best source of selenium and beef heart is a great source of COQ10 of course...I've got some coming in the mail soon.. Gotta admit I'm pretty darn excited.

milkboi

Apparently beef kidney is the absolute best source of selenium and beef heart is a great source of COQ10 of course...I've got some coming in the mail soon.. Gotta admit I'm pretty darn excited.

Try soaking the kidneys in milk, that might help with the taste

From a TCM point of view, kidneys are rich in "jing". I believe bone marrow also stimulates a person's jing stores.

Aside from brain though, I always thought Ray Peat was quite favourable to internal organs. I remember him saying that eating animals nose-to-tail was very present in traditional cultures.

orangeUglad

Try soaking the kidneys in milk, that might help with the taste
I'll definitely try that! I'm really curious to see just how much worse they taste than liver. (Which I've learned to tolerate and make taste somewhat good)

LeeLemonoil

Interesting about the bone marrow. It's more or less "consensus" (as much as it can be in a difficult to proof field) among evolutionary bilogists that Homo Sapiens for a long time specialized on bone marrow as a niche. It's also high in Oleic acid.

schultz

Kidneys are not appetizing. I do enjoy haggis though (heart, liver, lung, stomach). Really good! Brain is high in PUFA I think. Also an impressive source of cholesterol. I've had "sweetbreads" which were also quite good, but I am not sure if it was the thymus or pancreas. I tried to find the thyroid when I was butchering a goat a couple months back but I couldn't find it. Ill have to look again next time as it would be neat to grind it into some sausage.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals