Suggestions re high calcium, low fat dairy products (other than milk)

Elie

Forum Supporter
Looking to see what suggestions are there for low fat / high calcium dairy foods other than milk.

Personal observations:
Hard cheese has plenty of calcium on a per calorie basis, but also relatively high fat content.
Cottage cheese - low fat, but relatively low calcium.
Yogurt - Greek yogurt varieties feel "artificial".

Member thoughts on regular, mildly acidic yogurt (Bulgarian yogurt for example) - how much is ok?
This one doesn't have a huge amount of calcium per calorie.

Thanks...

Apple

One nixtamal corn tortilla contains roughly same amount of calcium as a glass of milk

sweetpeat

I've heard that nettle tea is high in calcium; potentially as much as milk. But I think it depends on how it's prepared. I think it was @Jennifer that wrote about it. Maybe she knows how best to prepare it for maximum calcium content.

Edit: Oh sorry, just realized you said dairy foods.

David PS

eb66ab423224603e568cfea1a16d275d.jpg

Apple

Do you mean 1 cup of masa? There’s no way 1 tortilla contains that much calcium.
you are right...
One standard glass of milk - 220 mg of calcium, 30mg of Mg
100 g of masa (half of cup) contains up to 215 mg of calcium . But consider content of Mg (120mg) which is a lot.
One tortilla is about 30- 50 g of masa.
So we need 2 -3 tortillas to get similar amount of calcium.

Absorption of calcium from milk is not very high, I read somewhere - roughly %30
On the contrary , absorption of calcium from tortilla is very high according to some sources.

Screenshot (523).png

tort.png

Last edited:
OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
Have you tried kefir?
Not for a long time.
Mainly because of Ray's and members expressed concerns about lactic acid vis a vis metabolic energy.
Worth a try?

OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter

eb66ab423224603e568cfea1a16d275d.jpg
Thanks. this is good.
I expect calcium from fruit to be more accessible than veggies or oats.

David PS

Thanks. this is good.
I expect calcium from fruit to be more accessible than veggies or oats.
Perhaps, but fruit did not make it onto the list in this thoughtful post.

I like well cooked leafy greens.

Last edited:

David PS

99% of the calcium in the human body is in the bones. I have used an inexpensive biometric scale to monitor my bone health and track changes.

OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
Perhaps, but fruit did not make it onto the list in this thoughtful post.

I like well cooked leafy greens.
Oranges and figs are particularly appealing.
Do you have preferred green leafies and how do you prepare them? as soup?

The reason for my focus on dairy is that it offer a decent amount of protein and I prefer staying vegetarian.

David PS

Oranges and figs are particularly appealing.
Do you have preferred green leafies and how do you prepare them? as soup?

The reason for my focus on dairy is that it offer a decent amount of protein and I prefer staying vegetarian.
My preference is to sauté them with some onions and butter.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Looking to see what suggestions are there for low fat / high calcium dairy foods other than milk.

Personal observations:
Hard cheese has plenty of calcium on a per calorie basis, but also relatively high fat content.
Cottage cheese - low fat, but relatively low calcium.
Yogurt - Greek yogurt varieties feel "artificial".

Member thoughts on regular, mildly acidic yogurt (Bulgarian yogurt for example) - how much is ok?
This one doesn't have a huge amount of calcium per calorie.

Thanks...

Elie, fage 2% greek yogurt (plain) is something you might like, especially with added salt.

Alternatively, get 1% or 2% milk and make your own yogurt using a good culture or a bit of greek yogurt or kefir.

To lower the lactic acid, you strain them with a cheese cloth till they solidify like labneh or slightly looser.

Apple

That phosphate content is very high and defeats the purpose of seeking out higher calcium foods from a Peatarian, lowering PTH, point of view. The phosphorus to calcium ration is too high.

Am I missing something?
you are missing high Mg content which is synergetic with Ca regarding lowering PTH and bone health.
In milk Calcium is slightly higher than Phosphorous .
Absorption of Ca from tortilla is higher than from milk. (because it is in ionic state)
I wouldn't worry much about phosphorus because content of calcium is still very high.
Tortillas are usually paired with greens,cheese, milk ... which adds more Ca and Mg, and we get high amount of Niacin as a bonus

After all corn tortillas was one of favourite foods of Ray Peat, sure he knew better

Last edited:

A-Tim

Chris Masterjohn recommends at least 1 g/day, but less than 2g/day, at which point he thinks toxicities/problems can begin to increase in risk. I find a combo of low fat milk and low fat cottage cheese works well.

A litre of low fat milk a day will get you over 1 gram of calcium by itself, at which point, the goal becomes to consume dairy for other factors other than calcium, like protein, subject to the constraint of minimizing unsaturated fat. Low fat cottage cheese works well here. High protein, low fat, low'ish(?) calcium.

Honeycomb

Outside of dairy, oranges are definitely good for calcium. A large orange should provide about 75mg of calcium.
Dried figs, dried apricots and kiwis are also very good sources.
I have about a litre of skimmed milk per day and hope that is plenty enough calcium as well as a bit of cheese, but I often eat a really nice yogurt (not Greek or Bulgarian). It’s made in the UK, by Yeo Valley, organic, super thick, creamy, no added ingredients, 0% fat. It has 131mg of calcium per 100gr. It’s high in protein (10gr) and I always feel very satisfied when I have it mixed with fruit and honey.

A-Tim

Outside of dairy, oranges are definitely good for calcium. A large orange should provide about 75mg of calcium.
Dried figs, dried apricots and kiwis are also very good sources.
I have about a litre of skimmed milk per day and hope that is plenty enough calcium as well as a bit of cheese, but I often eat a really nice yogurt (not Greek or Bulgarian). It’s made in the UK, by Yeo Valley, organic, super thick, creamy, no added ingredients, 0% fat. It has 131mg of calcium per 100gr. It’s high in protein (10gr) and I always feel very satisfied when I have it mixed with fruit and honey.
No fat yoghurt! I'm jealous.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals