Starch - The Delicious Devil

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Got wheat and gluten down to almost 0 % levels, for some reason wheat or gluten can cause grey hair, I am not sure not even to this day which one and how and why,”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Our results indicate that apart from metabolic disorders the deficiencies of Zn & Mo can be correlated to the intake of food grain, deficient in Zn & Mo. However the cause for the development of deficiencies of Zn & Mo in hair of EC patient has been partially answered from our study.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
more…

“there has been interest in observations that peptides derived from wheat gluten proteins exhibit opioid-like activity in in vitro tests. To determine the origin of the peptides exhibiting opioid activity, wheat proteins were fractionated by size (gel filtration), by charge differences (ion exchange chromatography) and by differences in hydrophobicity (reversed-phase HPLC). These fractions were hydrolyzed by pepsin or pepsin and trypsin and the resulting peptides separated by gel filtration chromatography. The separated peptides were tested for opioid-like activity by competitive binding to opioid receptor sites in rat brain tissue in the presence of tritium-labeled dihydromorphine. The peptides showed considerable differences in activity; while some peptides exhibited no activity, 0.5 mg of the most active peptides were equivalent to 1 nM of morphine in the binding assay. The most active peptides were derived from the gliadin fraction of the gluten complex.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Gluten-containing cereals are a main food staple present in the daily human diet, including wheat, barley, and rye. Gluten intake is associated with the development of celiac disease (CD) and related disorders such as diabetes mellitus type I, depression, and schizophrenia. However, until now, there is no consent about the possible deleterious effects of gluten intake because of often failing symptoms even in persons with proven CD. Asymptomatic CD (ACD) is present in the majority of affected patients and is characterized by the absence of classical gluten-intolerance signs, such as diarrhea, bloating, and abdominal pain. Nevertheless, these individuals very often develop diseases that can be related with gluten intake. Gluten can be degraded into several morphine-like substances, named gluten exorphins. These compounds have proven opioid effects and could mask the deleterious effects of gluten protein on gastrointestinal lining and function. Here we describe a putative mechanism, explaining how gluten could “mask” its own toxicity by exorphins that are produced through gluten protein digestion.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“On a larger scale, our quality of life depends on our brain health. To live to age 90 but experience declining brain health starting at age 60 — which is when most people believe cognitive decline begins — is tragic enough. But the reality is that such decline begins much earlier: Studies show a slow decline starting as early as our late 20s and further decline in our 40s.

If your mind feels like it’s a wheel with a crowbar in it, you’re unlikely to achieve your goals. And mood disorders and other neurological conditions make relationships challenging, if not impossible. Someone with severe Alzheimer’s can be alive and lose everything that matters. The brain is the most vital part of what we know as life itself — even more vital than a beating heart.

Causes of cognitive decline are many, from lack of exercise to toxic food. In this article, however, we’ll focus on just one potential cause: gluten.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“We can measure gluten damage in the brain three ways: instantly, by observing radioactively labeled gluten causing brain inflammation on an MRI; in the short term, through brain lesions and blood flow abnormalities; and in the long term, as seen in many epidemiological studies.

For example, a Scandinavian study followed 2,427 kids — all with equal economic, social, and environmental factors — for 21 years. Five percent of the kids with celiac disease had university or college degrees versus 23 percent of the non-CD kids, and 28 percent of the CD kids were in managerial or professional positions versus 45 percent of the non-CD kids. The gluten-affected kids were also noted to have a “significant increase in disruptive behavioral and depressive disorders.”

Underachievement with a gluten brain is one issue, but mental health is a bigger problem, with the latest published studies bearing titles like “Gluten Psychosis: Confirmation of a New Clinical Entity.” Gluten psychosis — does that sound like optimal brain health?”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Whats the chances he getting more protein fat than carbs?
I think Bear is getting a good balance, with “honey” and “lots of fruit”. He probably isn’t eating much refined sugar, which Ray Peat doesn’t advocate either.

Apple

I think Bear is getting a good balance, with “honey” and “lots of fruit”. He probably isn’t eating much refined sugar, which Ray Peat doesn’t advocate either.
How much sugar do you think Ray consumes with his coffee ? I heard smth like several lbs sugar per week

aniciete

Aside from being natural and having enzymes, there really isn’t a nutritional difference between honey and sugar.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Aside from being natural and having enzymes, there really isn’t a nutritional difference between honey and sugar.
There sure is a difference. Raw honey has every substance needed to support life in itself, but in very small amounts. You cook it and you lose the live enzymes. Honey has vitamins and minerals that sugar doesn’t….

“Honey has a lower GI value than sugar, meaning that it doesn't raise blood sugar levels as quickly. It's also sweeter than sugar, so you may need less of it, but it does have slightly more calories per teaspoon, so I always keep a close eye on portion sizes.

According to a 2018 study, honey can contain trace amounts of essential vitamins and minerals, like potassium, calcium, zinc and vitamins C, B1, B2, B3, B5 and B6.

Most recently, a 2021 review found that when honey was given for upper respiratory infections, certain symptoms — including cough frequency and cough severity — improved compared to usual care.”

“The exact makeup of each individual honey varies somewhat, but honey is generally composed of 80% sugar (fructose & glucose), 2% minerals, vitamins, pollen & protein. One tablespoon of honey contains 64 Calories. By contrast, a tablespoon of sugar contains 45 Calories.”

“While honey does contain higher fructose levels, it's relatively low on the glycemic index, making it one of the best sugar substitutes of the bunch. One study found that replacing sugar with honey could actually lower blood sugar levels and prevent weight gain or aid in weight loss.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
How much sugar do you think Ray consumes with his coffee ? I heard smth like several lbs sugar per week
I have heard he doesn’t use much sugar, and have read him says that one should use sugar only when honey and sweet ripe fruit isn’t available.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Phytic acid is a naturally occurring substance in seeds and grains that binds to minerals including zinc, iron and calcium and prevents their absorption in the small intestine. Sprouted grains provide more bioavailable nutrients compared to other refined flours.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This starch angle gives hope to those who have trouble with milk…

“i don’t really have dairy at all for a while because it used to make me bloated, etc typical dairy reaction for those sensitive.

Recently I included 2 glasses of milk a day and some notes:
- no bloat this time, maybe some acne. Interesting I’ve regained the ability to digest milk, possibly because I went no starch which solved endotoxin issues”

Apple

I had only medium(quick) oatmeal handy so I soaked it in limewater for 20 hours, then thouroughly drained and washed and cooked in water. I did the same with instant Polenta (soaking overnight was sufficient) and it was good too. Same with white rice.

If it were steel cut oats I would bring it to a boil ( in limewater) for 5 minutes and then leave overnight. Then wash and cook in water.
Another way to nixtamalize oats is to mix instant oatmeal with "masa harina" , add some water and live overnight. Next morning use this paste to cook tortillas.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Some studies show that dietary starch, rather than fat, is associated with breast cancer. Starch strongly stimulates insulin secretion, and insulin stimulates the formation of estrogen.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Many studies have also shown that eating a diet rich in refined starches is linked to a higher risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease and weight gain

This article lists 19 foods that are high in starch.”

“1. Cornmeal (74%)

Cornmeal is a type of coarse flour made by grinding dried corn kernels. It is naturally gluten-free, which means it is safe to eat if you have celiac disease.

Although cornmeal contains some nutrients, it is very high in carbs and starch. One cup (159 grams) contains 126 grams of carbs, of which 117 grams (74%) is starch (8).

If you are choosing cornmeal, opt for a whole grain instead of a de-germed variety. When cornmeal is de-germed, it loses some fiber and nutrients.“

“8. Oats (57.9%)

Oats are among the healthiest grains you can eat.

They provide a good amount of protein, fiber and fat, as well as a wide variety of vitamins and minerals. This makes oats an excellent choice for a healthy breakfast.

Moreover, studies have shown that oats can help you lose weight, reduce your blood sugar levels and lower your risk of heart disease (27Trusted Source, 28Trusted Source, 29Trusted Source).

Yet even though they are one of the healthiest foods and an excellent addition to your diet, they are also high in starch. One cup of oats (81 grams) contains 46.9 grams of starch, or 57.9% by weight (30).”

“Potatoes (18%)

Potatoes are incredibly versatile and a staple food in many households. They are often among the first foods that come to mind when you think of starchy foods.

Interestingly, potatoes don’t contain as much starch as flours, baked goods or cereals, but they do contain more starch than other vegetables.

For instance, a medium-sized baked potato (138 grams) contains 24.8 grams of starch, or 18% by weight.

Potatoes are an excellent part of a balanced diet because they are a great source of vitamin C, vitamin B6, folate, potassium and manganese (50).“

Jam

“Many studies have also shown that eating a diet rich in refined starches is linked to a higher risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease and weight gain

This article lists 19 foods that are high in starch.”

“1. Cornmeal (74%)

Cornmeal is a type of coarse flour made by grinding dried corn kernels. It is naturally gluten-free, which means it is safe to eat if you have celiac disease.

Although cornmeal contains some nutrients, it is very high in carbs and starch. One cup (159 grams) contains 126 grams of carbs, of which 117 grams (74%) is starch (8).

If you are choosing cornmeal, opt for a whole grain instead of a de-germed variety. When cornmeal is de-germed, it loses some fiber and nutrients.“

“8. Oats (57.9%)

Oats are among the healthiest grains you can eat.

They provide a good amount of protein, fiber and fat, as well as a wide variety of vitamins and minerals. This makes oats an excellent choice for a healthy breakfast.

Moreover, studies have shown that oats can help you lose weight, reduce your blood sugar levels and lower your risk of heart disease (27Trusted Source, 28Trusted Source, 29Trusted Source).

Yet even though they are one of the healthiest foods and an excellent addition to your diet, they are also high in starch. One cup of oats (81 grams) contains 46.9 grams of starch, or 57.9% by weight (30).”

“Potatoes (18%)

Potatoes are incredibly versatile and a staple food in many households. They are often among the first foods that come to mind when you think of starchy foods.

Interestingly, potatoes don’t contain as much starch as flours, baked goods or cereals, but they do contain more starch than other vegetables.

For instance, a medium-sized baked potato (138 grams) contains 24.8 grams of starch, or 18% by weight.

Potatoes are an excellent part of a balanced diet because they are a great source of vitamin C, vitamin B6, folate, potassium and manganese (50).“

Eating (as opposed to binging on) refined starches does not cause weight gain unless consumed with too much PUFA. Considering that refined starches contain much less PUFA than whole starches, they are by far the better option if PUFA from other sources is not kept to a minimum. If PUFA is already low than eating whole starches is fine, with the caveat that they *must* be properly prepared (sprouted, etc.), and both must be balanced with adequate amounts of calcium.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals