Safest medication to treat high blood pressure?

StephanF

Forum Supporter
As we get older, we get root canals, they harbor anaerobic bacteria in the millions of micron-sized capillaries of the dentin. The bacteria easily enter the blood stream and form biofilms inside the arteries and also on heart valves. The inflammation causes the arteries to narrow and the body compensates by raising the blood pressure to keep the blood flowing.

Many years ago, I attended a presentation of the late Dr. John Diamond in Reno, I still have a video of his lecture. He started with a story in his early years after receiving his medical degree and was working in a clinic in South Africa. There was an obese patient and she had very high blood pressure. The patient was given a blood pressure medication to reduce her blood pressure. Soon after, she died. This told him that the body needed to keep the blood pressure high to keep her alive.

So one can’t just lower the blood pressure if the body did this purely to survive! One has to get to the root of the problem.

I am taking Zeta Aid for my mild arrhythmia and it works. It has to do with the Zeta Potential of the blood, if it is weak, blood can coagulate and form blood clots. If it is strong, the blood particles are literally charged up and the electrical repulsion prevents any blood clotting inside the vessels. It should also prevent the formation of biofilms or it will dissolve them. The viscosity of the blood is at a minimum when the Zeta Potential is strong.

On this forum I also learned the importance of proper thyroid function to prevent cardiovascular disease. This is the work of Dr. Broda Barnes. Just search about his name here on raypeatforum.

The same you can do on ‘Zeta Aid’ or ‘Zeta Potential’, I have posted on his subject several times.

yerrag

Increased area over same distance equals increased volume: a x d = v

You may be correct about the health insurance thing, but the heart has to work harder to get the same blood volume through a constricted vessel than it does through a non-constricted one. If the heart pumps at the same energy, less blood volume will flow through constricted vessels.
Picture yourself watering with a garden hose. You want to dislodge something bit the water pressure isn't enough to do it. You tighten your grip on the end of the hose and the force of the water coming out dislodges it. The RAAS does the same thing to your kidney arterioles to create the force needed to continue kidney filtration despite clogged arterioles. It doesn't have to constrict all of the blood vessels.

Mike wolff

Picture yourself watering with a garden hose. You want to dislodge something bit the water pressure isn't enough to do it. You tighten your grip on the end of the hose and the force of the water coming out dislodges it. The RAAS does the same thing to your kidney arterioles to create the force needed to continue kidney filtration despite clogged arterioles. It doesn't have to constrict all of the blood vessels.
What about white coat syndrome brought on by a fight or flight response. Any advice on dealing with this

yerrag

What about white coat syndrome brought on by a fight or flight response. Any advice on dealing with this
I don't really know how do deal with that. I guess if that's truly the case, I would buy an electronic BP monitor from Amazon, a. good one like Hylogy costs only around $26, and take my BP measurement at home. Then I would have a good idea of what my true BP is. The rest is up to you telling your doctor to base it on your home BP measurement.

yerrag

very good points. Nobody ever thinks about this and they mindlessly take blood pressure medication based on some number from big Pharma.
I think a lot of people, out of not knowing any better and out of playing it safe, rely on what all doctors would say, and on what almost everyone does, and out of fear of being called irresponsible by the other half, just decides it is the path of least resistance. After all, no doctor has lost his job for prescribing blood pressure medication, not one study has been made to prove BP medication really destroys the kidneys (as it's hard to prove on human tests and no animal studies have ever been made). And seeing a 120/80 is an effective way to calm everyone. And most of all, no one knows the trade-offs made to the body in getting that nifty little number.

If and when the day of reckoning comes, no one will be able to pin it on "that darned BP medication."

Mike wolff

I think a lot of people, out of not knowing any better and out of playing it safe, rely on what all doctors would say, and on what almost everyone does, and out of fear of being called irresponsible by the other half, just decides it is the path of least resistance. After all, no doctor has lost his job for prescribing blood pressure medication, not one study has been made to prove BP medication really destroys the kidneys (as it's hard to prove on human tests and no animal studies have ever been made). And seeing a 120/80 is an effective way to calm everyone. And most of all, no one knows the trade-offs made to the body in getting that nifty little number.

If and when the day of reckoning comes, no one will be able to pin it on "that darned BP medication."
I agree I also think doctors push medication and use fear to talk you into taking it . I took my BP for a month everyday it averaged between 110/75 to 135/85 but in his office it was 150/95 I told him it’s stress I get nervous before my appointments he said in life your going threw stress all the time so these spikes are gonna give you a stroke and I started taking meds and at home it’s fine and still in the office it’s high

ThinkPerceive

the things that lower pressure naturally are a high calcium diet, high potassium diet, and magnesium, along with K2 MK4 and adequate D3. That will normalize pressure in most cases.

Most of the time, this will normalize pressure.

As people age their BP should rise. A person 65 or older should have 150/90 and over 75 160/90 or even higher. The higher BP as we age lead to longer lifespans.

I haven't yet seen evidence that hypertension drugs extend lifespan. I'm sure in some cases they do, but I haven't seen any such studies.

There are quite a few studies on hypertension drugs and mortality. The bottom line is that some DO extend lifespan - and some do NOT. It's part of the medical system momentum that doctors seem to be the last to get the message, and just go off an old checklist for much too long.

Here's one study. Figure 5 is a handy graph:

There are quite a few studies on hypertension drugs and mortality. The bottom line is that some DO extend lifespan - and some do NOT. It's part of the medical system momentum that doctors seem to be the last to get the message, and just go off an old checklist for much too long.

Here's one study. Figure 5 is a handy graph:

well this is a review study. A meta-study. I have been looking at actual studies and reading them and I found precious few that show any change in all cause mortality from blood pressure medications versus without blood pressure medication’s. That is I have found zero.

yerrag

Aside from taking your blood pressure, here is a free android app that is your personal monitoring device that is like your personal ECG. Aside from heart rate and oxygen saturation, it also takes the perfusion index (which I believe to be a better marker than heart rate). It also has a plethysmograph, where you can visually see the wave graph that you usually see in an oximeter, but here you see it in a larger scale. What's more, since it runs off a Samsung phone with the heart rate and spO2 sensors (Samsung Note 4 and up and Samsung S6 and up except for the newest models which phased them out - people like nice photo sensors more than health sensors), you can record all these in your SD card and have a history of these markers:

Since I have an S5, I haven't used this app yet and am yet to buy a grade A refurbished Note 4 from a dealer. Right now it is out of stock.

There are more features in the app other than what I described above. You can certainly see if you have irregular heart rate, and you an also determine by looking at the graph if your blood vessels are stiff or not. But that's if you can brush up on looking for where the "dicrotic notch" is at the graph.

This would be a welcome addition to my home self-testing kit.

yerrag

As we get older, we get root canals, they harbor anaerobic bacteria in the millions of micron-sized capillaries of the dentin. The bacteria easily enter the blood stream and form biofilms inside the arteries and also on heart valves. The inflammation causes the arteries to narrow and the body compensates by raising the blood pressure to keep the blood flowing.

Many years ago, I attended a presentation of the late Dr. John Diamond in Reno, I still have a video of his lecture. He started with a story in his early years after receiving his medical degree and was working in a clinic in South Africa. There was an obese patient and she had very high blood pressure. The patient was given a blood pressure medication to reduce her blood pressure. Soon after, she died. This told him that the body needed to keep the blood pressure high to keep her alive.

So one can’t just lower the blood pressure if the body did this purely to survive! One has to get to the root of the problem.

I am taking Zeta Aid for my mild arrhythmia and it works. It has to do with the Zeta Potential of the blood, if it is weak, blood can coagulate and form blood clots. If it is strong, the blood particles are literally charged up and the electrical repulsion prevents any blood clotting inside the vessels. It should also prevent the formation of biofilms or it will dissolve them. The viscosity of the blood is at a minimum when the Zeta Potential is strong.

On this forum I also learned the importance of proper thyroid function to prevent cardiovascular disease. This is the work of Dr. Broda Barnes. Just search about his name here on raypeatforum.

The same you can do on ‘Zeta Aid’ or ‘Zeta Potential’, I have posted on his subject several times.
Great post.

I've made the Zeta Aid myself using the formula you'd shared on a link. It's mostly potassium citrate and in very small amounts. What do you think of the idea of drinking lemonade? Does it do enough to increase zeta potential because of the potassium citrate content in lemons. Not so much orange juice as it's not sour enough (except if it's sour oranges).

StephanF

Forum Supporter
Great post.

I've made the Zeta Aid myself using the formula you'd shared on a link. It's mostly potassium citrate and in very small amounts. What do you think of the idea of drinking lemonade? Does it do enough to increase zeta potential because of the potassium citrate content in lemons. Not so much orange juice as it's not sour enough (except if it's sour oranges).
Hi Yerrag,

That is an interesting thought! I looked up, in one cup of lemon juice there is about 250 mg of potassium. The amount of citric acid in lemons I found to be 1.44 g/oz or 11.52 g/cup. To neutralize this (after some chemistry calculations), one has to add 13.82 g of sodium bicarbonate and this will give 15.3 g of sodium citrate (citrate has a valence of 3). Riddick's recipe calls for 47 g of potassium citrate for the master solution, which are 143.58 moles.

The cup of lemon juice, after neutralization, has 54.85 moles of sodium citrate, the potassium in the lemon juice is probably in the form of potassium citrate and that comes to only 6.42 moles, then the neutralized lemon juice has a total 61.27 moles of citrate. So roughly 2.5 cups of neutralized lemon juice plus 1.5 cups of pure water is about the same amount of citrate electrolytes as in the Riddick's recipe. The only difference is that here it is mostly sodium citrate and not potassium citrate as in Riddick's recipe.

Riddick added some additional bicarbonates (sodium and potassium) to raise the pH, so one could do the same with the lemon juice by giving an extra 10 g of sodium bicarbonate to the total mix.

To summarize (but someone has to check my math!):

2.5 cups of lemon juice
45 g of sodium bicarbonate
1.5 cups of pure water

This gives 32 oz. of the "master solution". From this you take one measured tablespoon three times a day.

You could buy potassium bicarbonate and then get potassium citrate from the lemon juice but then you could just buy potassium citrate itself.

I made another interesting observation: For a long time, I was taking magnesium glycinate as a supplement. Magnesium has a valence of +2 and the glycinate has -1, this could slightly weaken the Zeta Potential. I have a slight arrhythmia and the Zeta Aid helps with that. Now I wondered: "Does the magnesium supplement cause my arrhythmia?" I used to take three capsules, I stopped taking the magnesium AND the Zeta Aid and I didn't notice any arrhythmia. Even with one single magnesium capsule and no Zeta Aid! So I am surprised that the supplementation of magnesium caused my mild arrhythmia!

Maybe magnesium citrate would be better...

yerrag

The cup of lemon juice, after neutralization, has 54.85 moles of sodium citrate, the potassium in the lemon juice is probably in the form of potassium citrate and that comes to only 6.42 moles, then the neutralized lemon juice has a total 61.27 moles of citrate. So roughly 2.5 cups of neutralized lemon juice plus 1.5 cups of pure water is about the same amount of citrate electrolytes as in the Riddick's recipe. The only difference is that here it is mostly sodium citrate and not potassium citrate as in Riddick's recipe.

Riddick added some additional bicarbonates (sodium and potassium) to raise the pH, so one could do the same with the lemon juice by giving an extra 10 g of sodium bicarbonate to the total mix.

To summarize (but someone has to check my math!):

2.5 cups of lemon juice
45 g of sodium bicarbonate
1.5 cups of pure water

This gives 32 oz. of the "master solution". From this you take one measured tablespoon three times a day.

You could buy potassium bicarbonate and then get potassium citrate from the lemon juice but then you could just buy potassium citrate itself.
Thanks for calculating it. I had to do likewise to verify the numbers, otherwise I wouldn't have done it.

This also made me realize there is a lot of citric acid in lemon juice, and therefore it's a good idea just to put a slice of lemon in a pitcher of water for flavor. I'm now sour (pun intended) on lemonade, as the only way to overcome the sourness of that much citric acid is to put a lot of sugar. And it also works the other way around, when lemon rinds are used on sugar-rich custards (or leche flan) to tone down the sweetness.

Would it make a difference if the formula you made has more sodium citrate than potassium citrate? I wonder why in the original formula, Riddick had some sodium citrate added as well?

As for the idea of making potassium citrate from lemon juice and potassium bicarbonate to make the formula, it is a Rube Goldberg of an idea as it isn't just additional work, both the lemon juice and the potassium bicarbonate individually costs more than the potassium bicarbonate, at least where I'm at. So I will gladly go back to making the formula the old-fashioned way.

I made another interesting observation: For a long time, I was taking magnesium glycinate as a supplement. Magnesium has a valence of +2 and the glycinate has -1, this could slightly weaken the Zeta Potential. I have a slight arrhythmia and the Zeta Aid helps with that. Now I wondered: "Does the magnesium supplement cause my arrhythmia?" I used to take three capsules, I stopped taking the magnesium AND the Zeta Aid and I didn't notice any arrhythmia. Even with one single magnesium capsule and no Zeta Aid! So I am surprised that the supplementation of magnesium caused my mild arrhythmia!
It's good that you mentioned this, as I used to take magnesium bicarbonate. It was only a month ago I stopped taking it because I suspected the bicarbonate was causing me to lose potassium (thereby affecting my blood sugar control - it worsened and causing me occasional epidsodes of cramping at night, and perhaps increased urination as well). But it could also be that for the same valence reasons, mag bicarbonate was also causing arrhythmial. Not sure if low serum potassium could also lead to arrhythmia, but it it also does, then I would be getting a double whammy along with the lowered zeta from taking magnesium bicarbonate.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Maybe magnesium citrate would be better...
I'm wary of adding citrates more than what's needed for zeta potential to increase. Ray Peat warns about citrates leading to calcium urine excretion.

I'm considering instead magnesium oxide, as many forum members have began taking magnesium oxide after a few members pointed out that it isn't true that magnesium oxide has low absorbability in the gut. Ray Peat likes magnesium carbonate but since he also recommends calcium carbonate in the form of eggshells, I would prefer to diversify to another anion. Besides, I'm not sure I want to get an anion that could alter the acid-base balance towards alkalinity when it's not needed, which is my case. I had been taking magnesium bicarbonate for far too long to not realize that I no longer needed it, and that it was actually becoming counter-productive at my current balanced state, acid-base-wise. It was good for me at an earlier state where I was acidic, but that has been resolved yet I continue on it. A therapy that I didn't notice should have stopped, but continued on as a lifestyle.

Is MgO at 1:1 valence-wise ok though? Or should I say 2:2?

StephanF

Forum Supporter
I'm wary of adding citrates more than what's needed for zeta potential to increase. Ray Peat warns about citrates leading to calcium urine excretion.
I just squeezed the juice out of a small organic lemon: 30.5 g. The citric acid content is about 5%, which gives 1.53 g of citric acid, which are 7.26 moles. Riddick's formula calls for 47 g of potassium citrate in the master solution, which lasts for about 20 days, if taken three times a day (I take less). A single serving (1 tablespoon, 14.8 ml) comes to 7.03 moles. So the juice of a single lemon, neutralized with 0.61 g of sodium bicarbonate, is dam close to a single serving from Riddick's master solution!

Again, instead of baking soda one could buy potassium bicarbonate but then one could just buy potassium citrate or the Zeta Aid...

Regarding Ray's comment that citric acid will deplete calcium. Of course, but only if it had not been neutralized!

Here another story: Maybe 10 years ago, my son (then 15 years old) and I went to San Francisco to see Howard Straus, son of Charlotte Gerson (the wife of the murdered Dr. Max Gerson), he promoted his book at that time and showed a newly released movie, 'The Gerson Miracle', which I own. I talked to him briefly about diet and he said that a high protein diet causes acid to be produced from the digestion of animal protein. In another post I mentioned the body's pH buffer system, that can get depleted from too much acidic food stuff. Howard mentioned that in order for the body to keep its pH balance, it would 'borrow' calcium from the bones when acidic food is being digested. However, if someone continuously eats highly acidic food stuff, then the 'borrowed' calcium is never returned, causing fragile bones.

But if the citric acid is neutralized, this should not happen, although I am a physicist and not an expert on this topic. I don't think the body would swap the sodium for calcium in the sodium citrate, where should the sodium ions go?

If you would use calcium to neutralize the citric acid, then of course it cannot possibly lead to loss of calcium in the body. I think the same reasoning can be used for the sodium and potassium citrate. And for that matter, also for the magnesium citrate, which should not negatively affect the blood's Zeta Potential.

Does that make sense?

yerrag

I just squeezed the juice out of a small organic lemon: 30.5 g. The citric acid content is about 5%, which gives 1.53 g of citric acid, which are 7.26 moles. Riddick's formula calls for 47 g of potassium citrate in the master solution, which lasts for about 20 days, if taken three times a day (I take less). A single serving (1 tablespoon, 14.8 ml) comes to 7.03 moles. So the juice of a single lemon, neutralized with 0.61 g of sodium bicarbonate, is dam close to a single serving from Riddick's master solution!

Again, instead of baking soda one could buy potassium bicarbonate

So you're saying lemon juice as a source of citrate, can be used to raise zeta potential, as long as the citric acid in it, is neutralized by either potassium bicarbonate or sodium bicarbonate, and the citrate taken daily would be equivalent to the daily intake recommended by Riddick.

Potassium citrate and sodium citrate are both 1:3 electrolytes, and would be equally good at increasing zeta potential. And so maybe potassium citrate is more marketable given the stigma around sodium in sodium citrate?

Regarding Ray's comment that citric acid will deplete calcium. Of course, but only if it had not been neutralized!

Here another story: Maybe 10 years ago, my son (then 15 years old) and I went to San Francisco to see Howard Straus, son of Charlotte Gerson (the wife of the murdered Dr. Max Gerson), he promoted his book at that time and showed a newly released movie, 'The Gerson Miracle', which I own. I talked to him briefly about diet and he said that a high protein diet causes acid to be produced from the digestion of animal protein. In another post I mentioned the body's pH buffer system, that can get depleted from too much acidic food stuff. Howard mentioned that in order for the body to keep its pH balance, it would 'borrow' calcium from the bones when acidic food is being digested. However, if someone continuously eats highly acidic food stuff, then the 'borrowed' calcium is never returned, causing fragile bones.

But if the citric acid is neutralized, this should not happen, although I am a physicist and not an expert on this topic. I don't think the body would swap the sodium for calcium in the sodium citrate, where should the sodium ions go?

If you would use calcium to neutralize the citric acid, then of course it cannot possibly lead to loss of calcium in the body. I think the same reasoning can be used for the sodium and potassium citrate. And for that matter, also for the magnesium citrate, which should not negatively affect the blood's Zeta Potential.

Does that make sense?

Most citrate absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract is oxidized in the liver to form bicarbonate, providing a systemic alkali load. Whether the net effect of citrate ingestion is alkalinization of blood and urine depends on the cation accompanying citrate. If citrate is ingested as citric acid, in which the accompanying cations are protons, the protons neutralize the bicarbonate formed in the liver so that there is no net effect on acid-base status.9 If citrate is in the form of a potassium or sodium salt, virtually all citrate is converted to alkali with no serum bicarbonate titration, leading to systemic alkalinization. This distinction is critical in regard to renal citrate excretion since proximal tubular reabsorption of filtered citrate by the sodium-dicarboxylate cotransporter is contingent on systemic acid-base status. In acidosis states the renal proximal tubule reabsorbs citrate, which is incorporated into the Krebs cycle, decreasing citraturia. On the other hand, alkalosis decreases renal tubule reabsorption of citrate, increasing urinary citrate excretion.10

From American Urological Association

So, the use of magnesium citrate could run the risk of citrate excretion (ironically, the same could not be said if one takes in citric acid), if the subject's acid base balance is alkaline. But it would have no effect if the acid-base balance is optimal, or if it's acidic.

This would apply to other forms of citrate as well, such as potassium and sodium citrate. However, the amount of potassium citrate ingested in the protocol of Riddick is minimal, so this should not be a problem.

So it seems that taking therapeutic amounts of citrates only benefit people with an acidic acid-base balance.

As to what cation pairs with citrate when being excreted, I don't know why calcium would be the mineral mentioned by Ray Peat. Why not potassium, and why not sodium?

It doesn't make sense to me, other than the body wants to conserve sodium and even potassium, and so calcium gets to be the sacrificial cation to go.

Add: Or maybe a typical "normal" person is deficient already in potassium and magnesium and sodium, that the only cationic mineral in abundance, stored in the bone, is available for the taking. But if one is "fully-buffered." why would the body still leach calcium to pair with citrate to be excreted?

Attachments

• Citrate Effects on Urine Excretion.pdf
    542.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
P

Peatness

Ray Peat endorses many bp lowering drugs, and I think it is because of the futility of lowering it naturally. And the only way I know he has recommended lowering bp is by the use of vitamin k2, which works if you fit that that profile, whatever that profile is. It hasn't worked for me.
I’ve never heard Dr Peat indorse any of the blood pressure medications for lowering blood pressure. He has spoken of their anti-inflammatory properties in the context of Covid for instance. He has spoken favourable of losartan and telmisartan for certain conditions. For blood pressure he suggests high calcium to phosphate, magnesium, salt, progesterone, and thyroid and like you said high dose vitamin K. These have not worked for me either. The last time I emailed him and asked about verapamil for injury calcification and blood pressure he wouldn’t be drawn into recommending it. Like you I have not found Peating particularly helpful in lowering my blood pressure. Even with telmisartan the reduction is not great. I know calcium channel blockers will bring the numbers down but I cannot risk the side effects.

Jam

Olive Leaf Extract.

etc.

P

Peatness

Olive Leaf Extract.

etc.
Has this worked for you?

Jam

Has this worked for you?
Yes, which is why I don't take it often as it lowers my normal blood pressure a bit too much for comfort.

P

Peatness

Yes, which is why I don't take it often as it lowers my normal blood pressure a bit too much for comfort.
Ok thanks. It doesn't lower my blood pressure but I use it for other things

yerrag

I’ve never heard Dr Peat indorse any of the blood pressure medications for lowering blood pressure. He has spoken of their anti-inflammatory properties in the context of Covid for instance. He has spoken favourable of losartan and telmisartan for certain conditions. For blood pressure he suggests high calcium to phosphate, magnesium, salt, progesterone, and thyroid and like you said high dose vitamin K. These have not worked for me either. The last time I emailed him and asked about verapamil for injury calcification and blood pressure he wouldn’t be drawn into recommending it. Like you I have not found Peating particularly helpful in lowering my blood pressure. Even with telmisartan the reduction is not great. I know calcium channel blockers will bring the numbers down but I cannot risk the side effects.
You're right.

He's evasive on hypertension, for good reason. It's better to shut up when one doesn't know than expose oneself to criticism for blowing smoke.

I doubt anyone can explain hypertension easily. It's all about takethisandtakethatism.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals