Recurring Acute Bronchitis

Philomath

I could understand a one time case of acute bronchitis, but three times in roughly three months??
I haven't been sick in over a year but all of a sudden three cases of acute bronchitis??

I wonder if it has anything to do with the increase in protein. In roughly the same time-frame, I've increased my protein to close to 100g a day...most of it being Greek yogurt.

I thought it could be the lactic acid in the yogurt, I know Greek yogurt is supposed to contain less lactic acid due to additional whey straining, but it is still tart meaning some lactic acid remains. I don't think I have any signs of lactic acidosis, however I do have a back ache right between my shoulder blades. It's been there for over a month. It could be a strain, but I don't recall stressing that area at any point.

I also considered what Haidut wrote about ammonia build-up from too much protein. I'm over 40, does that mean some Ceylon Cinnamon is in order?

Any thoughts on my protein theory or can anyone else make sense of this?

OP
Philomath

Philomath

Philomath said:
I could understand a one time case of acute bronchitis, but three times in roughly three months??
I haven't been sick in over a year but all of a sudden three cases of acute bronchitis??

I wonder if it has anything to do with the increase in protein. In roughly the same time-frame, I've increased my protein to close to 100g a day...most of it being Greek yogurt.

I thought it could be the lactic acid in the yogurt, I know Greek yogurt is supposed to contain less lactic acid due to additional whey straining, but it is still tart meaning some lactic acid remains. I don't think I have any signs of lactic acidosis, however I do have a back ache right between my shoulder blades. It's been there for over a month. It could be a strain, but I don't recall stressing that area at any point.

I also considered what Haidut wrote about ammonia build-up from too much protein. I'm over 40, does that mean some Ceylon Cinnamon is in order?

Any thoughts on my protein theory or can anyone else make sense of this?

Update: I just read a post here where Dr. Peat said lacto-fermented foods are carcinogenic. Does that mean all yogurts are?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Maybe pau d'arco would be worth looking into for its expectorant and antimicrobial properties? I had thought about that as a remedy for myself after reading about it in recent forum posts. In the past I have typically gotten bronchitis at some point in the winter from working around a lot of people with respiratory infections. I can't speak from experience since I haven't tried it yet but thought I'd mention it as a possible remedy for you to research if you'd like.

messtafarian

It could just be that you have a resistant bug. Were you prescribed antibiotics?

I'm thinking that a little benadryl might help also along with bicarb to raise CO2 levels. Benedryl will calm the mast cells that are being reactive in your lungs even though it is bronchitis and not an allergy. Raising CO2 levels can treat an infection on its own in some cases.

OP
Philomath

Philomath

Thanks! Any good sources? I heard the herb doctors say quality is suffering as the bark of nearly every tree cut down in Brazil is being called pau 'darco

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Philomath said:
Thanks! Any good sources? I heard the herb doctors say quality is suffering as the bark of nearly every tree cut down in Brazil is being called pau 'darco
4peatssake mentioned the Frontier brand through iherb in the 'possible alternative to cascara sagrada' thread. I'll bump it. :D

Peata

It could just be that you have a resistant bug. Were you prescribed antibiotics?

I'm thinking that a little benadryl might help also along with bicarb to raise CO2 levels. Benedryl will calm the mast cells that are being reactive in your lungs even though it is bronchitis and not an allergy. Raising CO2 levels can treat an infection on its own in some cases.
I know this is an old thread, but wanted to reply that Benadryl has been helping me a lot with the copd/chronic bronchitis that comes on every Fall through Spring.

I used to have to go on Singulair and Advair, but last year these didn't help like they used to. I also was taking cyproheptadine, but remarkably it's never had an antihistamine effect for me. So this year after desperation to stop the coughing, especially at night (been waking up in night choking and coughing and wheezing for weeks), I started taking Benadryl at regular intervals, and finally sleeping well. I take a whole pill before bed, but if I wake up to use the restroom, I take another 1/2 pill. During the daytime, I'm taking 1/4-1/2 pill every 3 - 4 hours. Also using an aspirin most nights to help curb inflammation.

This method isn't perfect, but as I said, it's helping me as much as the prescriptions I used to take.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals