Is Eating This Greek Yogurt A Good Idea?

frant26

I just found the Chobani brand of Greek Yogurt at a local supermarket, and started buying it because of the protein and calcium with zero fat.

The packaging lists the bacteria in it: "Contains live and active cultures: S. Thermophilus, L. Bulgaricus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus and L. Casei"

Could any of these be problematic?

I ate 2 pounds today and I have some gas, but not sure I can blame the yogurt yet. I know Ray has spoken favorably of some lactobacillus strains.

Also: is there a good way to get a "big picture" of the state of the gut? Fecal analysis? Like we do with blood tests.

I don't know that Dr. Peat has spoken favorably at all. I have listened to hours and hours of his interviews and read his stuff but haven't heard anything favorable about yogurt or lactobacillus...but maybe I just missed it. He has related an anecdote about migraines in his younger days from yogurt. And also said that sour is a really bad idea due to the lactic acid.

Greek yogurt is better as it is less sour. But...

More and more, I see the gut stuff as a matter of constant daily actions that lower the burden of gut bacteria. 20mg of antibiotics one day. Mushrooms cooked or carrot every day. Minimizing starch in most cases for most people.

I don't have any faith in the medical rathole and the fecal cultures and such. I'm sure if I had some dire problems I might be more interested, but I don't.

Weirdly I listened to this a few hours ago. The original interview. Thanks. I am glad I am wrong.

cyclops

I eat so much greek yogurt I got it coming out my ears at this point... not a fan! Why do I eat it you ask? I've never done too well with milk, after a glass or two it messes up my stomach, and I'm trying to eat very low fat currently. Good luck trying to find no fat cheese without a ton of junk in it in the US. So that leaves me with greek yogurt, all day everyday.

Not really sure about Ray saying greek yogurt is better then regular because its less sour... they all taste sour to me! Just try to eat it with something sweet to get it down. I've tried making farmer's cheese before and it never worked out for me.

Last edited:
OP
frant26

frant26

I eat so much greek yogurt I got it coming out my ears at this point... not a fan! Why do I eat it you ask? I've never done too well with milk, after a glass or two it messes up my stomach, and I'm trying to eat very low fat currently. Good luck trying to find no fat cheese without a ton of junk in it in the US. So that leaves me with greek yogurt, all day everyday.

Exactly the same for me!

I ask because I started eating 1kg of it every day (coz no fat/protein/calcium) – buuuut that's a LOT of probiotics... not sure I want that much.

Supposing lactobacillus is anti-inflammatory, how about:

- S. Thermophilus : I believe this one is involved in the making of any yogurt
- Bifidus : This one is inflammatory?

Any bacteria guru here in the forum?

Exactly the same for me!

I ask because I started eating 1kg of it every day (coz no fat/protein/calcium) – buuuut that's a LOT of probiotics... not sure I want that much.

Supposing lactobacillus is anti-inflammatory, how about:

- S. Thermophilus : I believe this one is involved in the making of any yogurt
- Bifidus : This one is inflammatory?

Any bacteria guru here in the forum?

You could heat the yogurt. Pasteurization kills the bacilli.

sunraiser

Not really sure about Ray saying greek yogurt is better then regular because its less sour... they all taste sour to me! Just try to eat it with something sweet to get it down. I've tried making farmer's cheese before and it never worked out for me.

If you have to force it down it's probably a good sign it's not something your body wants.

Why don't you just eat relatively low fat with normal fat yogurt and cheese, to craving? Your body will tell you when you need calcium and it's often way less than you'd think, depending on your makeup and overall health.

cyclops

If you have to force it down it's probably a good sign it's not something your body wants.

Why don't you just eat relatively low fat with normal fat yogurt and cheese, to craving? Your body will tell you when you need calcium and it's often way less than you'd think, depending on your makeup and overall health.

The only thing I really don't like about the taste of yogurt is the sourness, so I'd feel the same about higher fat yogurt. Taste-wise, I wish I was drinking milk or cheese, but as I said I don't do well with milk and cannot find fat-free cheese without bad stuff added to it. And my diet calls for no fat dairy right now.

Have you done this? How do you heat it up? My yogurt is already pasteurized.

Heat it gently to a simmer and let it cook without boiling. That would do it.

I may. I am struggling with getting dairy outside hard cheese. I am going to try raw milk and lactase next.

sunraiser

The only thing I really don't like about the taste of yogurt is the sourness, so I'd feel the same about higher fat yogurt. Taste-wise, I wish I was drinking milk or cheese, but as I said I don't do well with milk and cannot find fat-free cheese without bad stuff added to it. And my diet calls for no fat dairy right now.

Perhaps it's a sign of too much lactic acid then - either way forcing it isn't going to move you towards health.

cyclops

Perhaps it's a sign of too much lactic acid then - either way forcing it isn't going to move you towards health.

I don't know about that. Sometimes it's doing the best you can. Plus there are many things I don't enjoy: Liver, Oysters, daily carrot, etc. If I don't eat yogurt id have to eat vegetables, which I dislike even more.

sunraiser

I don't know about that. Sometimes it's doing the best you can. Plus there are many things I don't enjoy: Liver, Oysters, daily carrot, etc. If I don't eat yogurt id have to eat vegetables, which I dislike even more.

Well from experience and in very strong terms (also from other forum users experiences) - do NOT eat liver if you don't enjoy it. It's extremely burdensome on resource cofactors and can leave you in a really shitty state.

Only eat it to craving so it's really enjoyed - I almost never eat it these days.

Oysters come with a similar warning. Such a high zinc intake should definitely be moderated via craving. It can pressure both calcium and magnesium stores, both of which are not uptaken and retained very effectively in poor metabolic health.

cyclops

Well from experience and in very strong terms (also from other forum users experiences) - do NOT eat liver if you don't enjoy it. It's extremely burdensome on resource cofactors and can leave you in a really shitty state.

Only eat it to craving so it's really enjoyed - I almost never eat it these days.

Oysters come with a similar warning. Such a high zinc intake should definitely be moderated via craving. It can pressure both calcium and magnesium stores, both of which are not uptaken and retained very effectively in poor metabolic health.

Who actually likes liver lol? I heard Ray say you should prob eat it at least once a month even if you dont crave it. And the liver in the US doesn't taste that good because its never fresh, so I take that into consideration. Plus if you take thyroid you prob could use the nutrients. All in all I force it down at least very other week.

I hear your advice to only eat what taste good to you, and it makes sense, but I think I get more hungry then I have food I actually want to eat sometimes. Like I have to eat and I don't really crave anything and just do my best with what I got.

The Yogurt is not terrible when I mix it with some other stuff. I prob wouldn't want to be drinking lots of milk either. If I ate all the foods I really wanted I'd be way too heavy.

sunraiser

Who actually likes liver lol? I heard Ray say you should prob eat it at least once a month even if you dont crave it. And the liver in the US doesn't taste that good because its never fresh, so I take that into consideration. Plus if you take thyroid you prob could use the nutrients. All in all I force it down at least very other week.

I hear your advice to only eat what taste good to you, and it makes sense, but I think I get more hungry then I have food I actually want to eat sometimes. Like I have to eat and I don't really crave anything and just do my best with what I got.

:grin: I have actually had times in the past where liver is one of the greatest tasting foods ever, like a really rich almost sweet taste. You can't overcook it, though!

If you're encountering problems of not knowing what to eat if eliminating those things I'd suggest your diet is simply far too restrictive.

I'm trying to save you from problems further down the line, however I get you can only make do sometimes and you have to arrive at a conclusion based on your own experiences.

I do think milk especially, but liquid calories in general can be overly problematic but they're easily avoided.

livesimply

Back in 2010 I asked Dr. Peat: "I think I read were you do not recommend eating yogurt; is that correct? Are you against any kind of probiotics?" and he replied,
"In quantities of an ounce or so, for flavoring, it's o.k., but the lactic acid content isn't good if you are using yogurt as a major source of your protein and calcium. Cottage cheese, that is, milk curds with salt, is very good, if you can find it without additives, but traditional cottage cheese was almost fat-free, so when they make it with whole milk you should watch for other innovations that might not be beneficial."

Also, as an aside, I found that Giant grocery store brand ricotta cheese is made with only pasteurized milk, vinegar, and salt--no gums, carrageenan, etc.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom