Recommended Magnesium Sources

RobertJM

I would love to find a good magnesium source that doesn’t irritate the gut.

I have tried magnesium citrate and it doesn’t really agree with me.

And even though magnesium bicarbonate is super powerful (and wonderfully effective), I find the huge amount of liquid (especially in the latter half of the evening) not very helpful, unless I want to be emptying my bladder all night, which then interrupts my sleep. Counterproductive in that sense.

Has anyone come across any top notch magnesium supplements that they swear by? I’m pretty willing to give anything a go. It’s such a vital mineral.

Do you use water for things like coffee or tea or cooking in general? You could replace regular water with magnesium bicarbonate water for these purposes. It adds up as the day goes on. And with smaller dosages you can absorb more than with one big dosage.

I agree, magnesium is huge. One day without some magnesium bicarb water is enough to reduce my well-being and make me slightly constipated too.

Many people enjoy magnesium glycinate, probably because the glycine prevents gut irritation. They sell it on PureBulk without fillers or other excipientes and, last time I checked, it isn't expensive.

marcar72

Here's my top choice!! :cool:

61nhw%2BdtbZL._SX522_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/KAL-Magnesium-Glycinate-Liquid-Filled-Relaxation/dp/B01BOWOVSO?th=1

OP
RobertJM

RobertJM

Do you use water for things like coffee or tea or cooking in general? You could replace regular water with magnesium bicarbonate water for these purposes. It adds up as the day goes on. And with smaller dosages you can absorb more than with one big dosage.

I agree, magnesium is huge. One day without some magnesium bicarb water is enough to reduce my well-being and make me slightly constipated too.

Many people enjoy magnesium glycinate, probably because the glycine prevents gut irritation. They sell it on PureBulk without fillers or other excipientes and, last time I checked, it isn't expensive.

Thank you for your suggestions. With the magnesium bicarbonate water, I never once even considered your idea because the water itself tastes kinda funky. Plus it may still have some fizz at the end? Or should the fizz go completely to indicate that the magnesium hydroxide has reacted with the carbonated water? You know what I mean? But are you saying that you wouldn’t notice it if used for coffee? Because yes I do use water for coffee and what a wonderful addition a magnesium based water would be for a stimulating coffee (like yin and yang).

Inaut

I second the mag malate @Dave Clark . Haven’t tried mag bicarb yet but I like the energy I get from magnesium malate and my bowels don’t hurt (plus I’m getting a benefit to my gallbladder)

Thank you for your suggestions. With the magnesium bicarbonate water, I never once even considered your idea because the water itself tastes kinda funky. Plus it may still have some fizz at the end? Or should the fizz go completely to indicate that the magnesium hydroxide has reacted with the carbonated water? You know what I mean? But are you saying that you wouldn’t notice it if used for coffee? Because yes I do use water for coffee and what a wonderful addition a magnesium based water would be for a stimulating coffee (like yin and yang).
No problem! Yeah, it tastes a little diferente on its own, but since the taste of coffee is strong, I think you may not notice it.

If the magnesium hydroxide reacted completely with the CO2 in the carbonated water, then there should be no fizz. In my experience, it's common to be either a small amount of fizz left or a small amount of unreacted mag. hydroxide at the bottom of the bottle.

I think it's worth to try to see if the taste is tolerable. If it tastes so bad that it ruins the experience of drinking coffee, then there are other forms mentioned above by other forum members.

Magnesium oxide. I was a victim of anti-oxide propoganda. Just give it a try, it is a best form. I swear by. Zero side effects.

OrangeJuice

I advise against Magnesium Supplements and pills.

My go to is BLACK-STRAP MOLASSES. 1 Tbsp == 20% RDA of magnesium along with 25% of Calcium RDA. I try to have 1-3 teaspoons a day mixed in foods through the day.

yerrag

I advise against Magnesium Supplements and pills.

My go to is BLACK-STRAP MOLASSES. 1 Tbsp == 20% RDA of magnesium along with 25% of Calcium RDA. I try to have 1-3 teaspoons a day mixed in foods through the day.
High in iron, isn't it? Wouldn't it be counterproductive?

yerrag

Magnesium oxide. I was a victim of anti-oxide propoganda. Just give it a try, it is a best form. I swear by. Zero side effects.

I understand that it doesn't absorb well and so stays in the gut. Because of that, it will loosen bowels and help with bowel movement. Is that why you swear by it?

I prefer the form of magnesium that is absorbed, and with the energy it provides (as magnesium is needed for energy production) enables the intestinal muscles to contract and expand, enabling peristalsis, and movement of bowels. Magnesium that's mostly absorbed and doesn't stay in the gut are forms such as the chelates glycinate and malate, as well as the ones attached to organic acids such as bicarbonates and acetates. I'd stay away from inorganic acids such as chlorides, as they are an acid load on the body.

I recall a thread where it was mentioned that magnesium oxide has a perfectly adequate rate of absorption but only if the particle size was small enough. So maybe it depends on where it is sourced?

I understand that it doesn't absorb well and so stays in the gut. Because of that, it will loosen bowels and help with bowel movement. Is that why you swear by it?

I prefer the form of magnesium that is absorbed, and with the energy it provides (as magnesium is needed for energy production) enables the intestinal muscles to contract and expand, enabling peristalsis, and movement of bowels. Magnesium that's mostly absorbed and doesn't stay in the gut are forms such as the chelates glycinate and malate, as well as the ones attached to organic acids such as bicarbonates and acetates. I'd stay away from inorganic acids such as chlorides, as they are an acid load on the body.

No. It does absorb. This is what I called anti-oxide marketing brainwashing, they tell you it has poor bioavalability, but its a lie. Its done to sell you fancy forms like aminoacid chelates and etc. There is an another thread about magnesium oxide on this forum, some other members confirm my experience. It has highest absorbtion rates and there is even a study confirming that only oxide form was able to restore intracellular levels of magnesium.

Magnesium Oxide Is (surprisingly) Better Than Citrate

yerrag

No. It does absorb. This is what I called anti-oxide marketing brainwashing, they tell you it has poor bioavalability, but its a lie. Its done to sell you fancy forms like aminoacid chelates and etc. There is an another thread about magnesium oxide on this forum, some other members confirm my experience. It has highest absorbtion rates and there is even a study confirming that only oxide form was able to restore intracellular levels of magnesium.

Magnesium Oxide Is (surprisingly) Better Than Citrate
I should try it

ANDREW CHIN

What about Dr. Mercola's Magnesium Threonate? I've never tried it, but it supposedly penetrates the blood-brain barrier and penetrates the cell membrane. Also, it's advertised as having no laxative effect.

Inaut

I just ordered some oxide to test it out. Hoping you unearthed a real conspiracy in the supplement industry :)

I just ordered some oxide to test it out. Hoping you unearthed a real conspiracy in the supplement industry :)

I think @paymanz and some other users will vouch for MgO

I've tried many and the one that always works is dissolving Mg Carbonate in orange juice. That is foolproof and no intestinal irritation or loose stool. A big bag of it costs very little.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals