Questions About MCT Oil

encerent

1. Is MCT oil even better than coconut oil?
2. Is MCT oil better than hydrogenated coconut oil?
3. Are the MCT oils available widely safe? Are they generally free of contaminants, allergens, heavy metals, etc.?

DaveFoster

Yes, but it's expensive.

"Various fractions of coconut oil are coming into use as "drugs," meaning that they are advertised as treatments for diseases. Butyric acid is used to treat cancer, lauric and myristic acids to treat virus infections, and mixtures of medium-chain fats are sold for weight loss. Purification undoubtedly increases certain effects, and results in profitable products, but in the absence of more precise knowledge, I think the whole natural product, used as a regular food, is the best way to protect health. The shorter-chain fatty acids have strong, unpleasant odors; for a couple of days after I ate a small amount of a medium-chain triglyceride mixture, my skin oil emitted a rank, goaty smell. Some people don't seem to have that reaction, and the benefits might outweigh the stink, but these things just haven't been in use long enough to know whether they are safe. "

- Dr. Raymond Peat
Coconut Oil

I think its harder on the digestive system; maybe it's a stronger antibiotic than the diverse fatty acids in coconut oil due to its concentration.

tankasnowgod

When I've taken MCT oil on it's own, it's had, shall we say, unpleasant effects on my digestive system. However, I've been experimenting recently with adding a bit to fat free yogurt or cottage cheese. No issues doing it that way, and it improves the taste and texture of both. I'll add about 10-15 grams of MCT oil to about two cups of either.

Dave Clark

I have been using MCT oils since Pearson and Shaw talked about them in their 1980's books. I use them in salad dressing, you can bake with them, but don't fry with them, they are different than straight up coconut oil when it comes to frying (smoke point might be lower). Yes, they have been around quite a few decades. They're used in lotions, as a stable oil base for oil soluble nutrients, etc. You can also put them in smoothies and shakes, the MCT oils do not solidify like regular coconut oil, so they blend in and stay blended. The only caveat, start off slow because too much too fast can loosen your bowels (just like regular coconut oil, only quicker).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals