Prescribed HGH, What Changes Should I Make To Diet?

Smee

I recently learned that I have a tumor on my pituitary that has caused me to become deficient in Growth Hormone. My endocrinologist has prescribed Genotropin (one form of somatropin that is made by Pfizer), which I have not started taking yet (insurance does not want to pay and drug is quite expensive apparently).

I have read about many of the problems with growth hormone and its effects on lipolysis, decreased insulin sensitivity etc., and I am wondering if maybe I should make some adjustments to my diet if/when I start taking the somatropin injections. Any recommendations or changes I should consider for diet or any supplement recommendations would be very helpful and appreciated. I have read a few people recommending limiting carbohydrate intake while on GH, but this seemed to be directed not at people with genuine GH deficiency, but rather bodybuilders or older men using GH for anti aging purposes.

I am 35 yo, 6 - 0", 225 lbs. I'm pretty active, work on my feet most of the day, and lift weights/exercise 4 - 5x/wk. I am currently on testosterone replacement at 125 mg/wk, which I have been on for about two years after being diagnosed with primary hypogonadism (pituitary is putting out signal, but testes not responding - endo suspects damage to testicles from rough sex or perhaps rough day on the playground as a young boy - no bs). Only supplement I am taking is Thorne vit D + k2 combo.

I don't track my dietary intake on Cronometer daily anymore but when I do, I typically fall around 4500 calories.

Here's what I ate yesterday. Not a perfect representation of typical day but close. I always salt my food to taste and try to eat shellfish and liver at least once every week or two. Other than that my diet doesn't change a whole lot.

1/2 gallon whole milk
3 cups OJ
2 tbsp collagen
2 tbsp sugar
2 - 3 eggs
3 cups cooked white rice
12 - 16 oz beef
6 - 8 oz cooked greens (spinach or kale or whatever is on hand)
1 raw carrot
1 can oysters
4 oz mushrooms
4 dates
2 oz raw cheddar
2 tbsp butter
1 lg potato
6 oz chicken
1 banana
1 cup haagen dazs

ilikecats

damage to the testicles from rough sex resulting in permanent hypogonadism? Doc just went full retard. Are you into hardcore masochistic femdom stuff? Did rough sex include getting smashed in the testicles with a ball-pein hammer repeatedly? Cause if not just lol. ******* doctors...

Beefcake

Hahaha rough sex causing damaged testicles? Then I would be infertile ages ago. Doctors rather just make up something instead of investigating further. Jesus christ. If you have a tumor then maybe thats messing up your hormones? Normal or high LH does not have to mean you have high test. I’ve had high LH and low T and vice versa. I think theres an undiscovered underlying cause to your problems. Could be the pituitary causing havoc. Could be something else.

OP
S

Smee

damage to the testicles from rough sex resulting in permanent hypogonadism? Doc just went full retard. Are you into hardcore masochistic femdom stuff? Did rough sex include getting smashed in the testicles with a ball-pein hammer repeatedly? Cause if not just lol. ******* doctors...

I'm not even sure what femdom is and no hammers. I think he was listing off a number of things it could have been haha.

OP
S

Smee

Hahaha rough sex causing damaged testicles? Then I would be infertile ages ago. Doctors rather just make up something instead of investigating further. Jesus christ. If you have a tumor then maybe thats messing up your hormones? Normal or high LH does not have to mean you have high test. I’ve had high LH and low T and vice versa. I think theres an undiscovered underlying cause to your problems. Could be the pituitary causing havoc. Could be something else.

The tumor is definitely messing with my hormones, GH in particular, which is produced in the pituitary. And the doctor has recognized this. However, he thinks the low testosterone is due to primary, rather than secondary, hypogonadism due to the fact that my LH and FSH (which from my understanding signal testes to produce T) levels were in healthy range, despite T being low. Whereas someone with secondary hypogonadism has pituitary disorder at the root of low T. So yes one can have high LH and low T, as you have said you experienced, but this would be secondary hypogonadism, I believe. I'm not sure about having low LH and high T, I didn't realize that was possible, but I am still just trying to figure all this ***t out.

ilikecats

@Smee might want to read this Growth hormone: Hormone of Stress, Aging, and Death?

or this

Growth Hormone (GH) Accelerates Aging

"Controversies surrounding the potential utility of GH in treatment of a geriatric patient are fueled by increasing evidence linking GH and cancer and by remarkably increased lifespan of GH-resistant and GH-deficient mice"-

Growth hormone and aging: A challenging controversy

Andy Milonakis Metahuman? Ray Peat Vindicated?

I don't think Id personally take gh even if I was deficient in it. And how did your endo determine that your deficient in GH? If I recall it's released in pulses so blood levels can change often. Just wouldn't be surprised if the tests for GH deficiency were pretty flawed just like they are for thyroid hormone deficiency. Id be interested to see if Ray would think supplementing GH would be safe in the context of a true significant deficiency, maybe he would, Im not sure. He seems to think suppressing it is a good thing but I think that's within the limits of what's deemed to be in the normal range.

"Diagnosis of GH deficiency involves a multiple-step diagnostic process, usually culminating in GH stimulation tests to see if the patient's pituitary gland will release a pulse of GH when provoked by various stimuli." Did you do something like that?

I remember ray talking about a study where they removed rats (or maybe it was mice) pituitary gland and gave them thyroid hormone and it produced a profound increase in longevity. Can't remember the specifics but I remember it being the most significant life span extension in rats that I've ever seen an intervention produced in a study.

Last edited:
OP
S

Smee

@Smee might want to read this Growth hormone: Hormone of Stress, Aging, and Death?

or this

Growth Hormone (GH) Accelerates Aging

"Controversies surrounding the potential utility of GH in treatment of a geriatric patient are fueled by increasing evidence linking GH and cancer and by remarkably increased lifespan of GH-resistant and GH-deficient mice"-

Growth hormone and aging: A challenging controversy

Andy Milonakis Metahuman? Ray Peat Vindicated?

I don't think Id personally take gh even if I was deficient in it. And how did your endo determine that your deficient in GH? If I recall it's released in pulses so blood levels can change often. Just wouldn't be surprised if the tests for GH deficiency were pretty flawed just like they are for thyroid hormone deficiency. Id be interested to see if Ray would think supplementing GH would be safe in the context of a true significant deficiency, maybe he would, Im not sure. He seems to think suppressing it is a good thing but I think that's within the limits of what's deemed to be in the normal range.

"Diagnosis of GH deficiency involves a multiple-step diagnostic process, usually culminating in GH stimulation tests to see if the patient's pituitary gland will release a pulse of GH when provoked by various stimuli." Did you do something like that?

I remember ray talking about a study where they removed rats (or maybe it was mice) pituitary gland and gave them thyroid hormone and it produced a profound increase in longevity. Can't remember the specifics but I remember it being the most significant life span extension in rats that I've ever seen an intervention produced in a study.

Thanks I am going to read that article now.

I am hesitant to take it for sure. But I also know that I feel horrible now and am willing to give it a try for a few months to see if that is the root of my issue. I've been feeling like ***t for years now and have been going to doctors trying to figure out what is going on, but with no answers. If this is what GH deficiency feels like, then I'd trade feeling better for a shorter lifespan or whatever other risks it carries. My personal feeling about hormones in general, GH included, should maybe not be considered 'good' or 'bad' out of context, as GH deficiency also carries risks.

GH deficiency was diagnosed via a glucagon stimulation test, where glucagon is injected and GH levels are measured every 30 min for 4 hours.

I too would be very curious to know Ray's thoughts about safety of supplementing GH if deficient.

OP
S

Smee

Growth Hormone increases prolactin do you know that?
I didn't. I had read that GHRH increases prolactin but was not aware that GH itself also increases prolactin, but I'm still trying to learn about all this stuff. I recently had my prolactin level measured, it was 4.1 ng/ml (ref 2.1 - 17.7 ng/ml).

OP
S

Smee

HGH is said to increase conversion to T3, using up T4.

Ok I'm definitely going to look into this and talk to my doctor about checking my t4 if/when I begin taking GH. How would one determine proper t4 dosage? I had my free t4 measured about one month ago and levels was 1.1 ng/dL (ref range 0.6 - 1.2).

Try supplementing with thyroid first. If that doesn't work, then maybe consider the HGH.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals