Pre-workout Supplement?

cyclops

Anybody take one before hitting the iron? Like one of those pre-made ones.

Lurker

I always thought if you need a pick me up more than a cup of coffee then maybe a nap is in order rather than the workout. I see people popping speed and hitting the smelling salts to get that adrenaline rush for just a gym session. This ain’t the damn Olympics. I prefer the Easy Strength type workout from Dan John and Pavel. Frequent mid level lifts with intuitive progression.

There are a couple threads below where it has been discussed before.

nbznj

I only supplement vega protein essentials here in Canada (damn good brand) and I've always used Optimum nutrition serious mass anywhere I've lived - Europe,US,Canada. All you need is a complete nutrition and a load of good carbs when you're working out.

You could always supplement citrulline and creatine. Stimulants aren't great.

omnivoracious

Brad Schoenfeld was interviewed recently on the Barbell Shrugged podcast. He suggested BCAAs aren't super relevant if you are taking in quality protein like whole foods or a whey or casein shake. He said your daily goal should be to aim for 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. He said caffeine definitely helps work capacity but you don't need carbs to spike insulin. A whey shake on its own will spike enough insulin to get the job done. I train first thing in the morning and have been taking a whey shake on my way to the gym. Will probably try to figure out a way to add in some caffeine but haven't done so yet. Caffeine pills would probably be the easiest way to go as I don't want all the other stuff that is added to pre-workout supps.

Mossy

I only supplement vega protein essentials here in Canada (damn good brand) and I've always used Optimum nutrition serious mass anywhere I've lived - Europe,US,Canada. All you need is a complete nutrition and a load of good carbs when you're working out.
You could always supplement citrulline and creatine. Stimulants aren't great.
Hello, not knocking your suggestion, just sharing some thoughts.

I believe citruline is anti-Peat because it raises Nitric Oxide(NO), which is pro-aging. I understand that sometimes a mild non-Peaty substance can used, if its use outdoes the overall harm, and if you can counter the harm, which in this case it seems Vitamin C and E counter the harmful effects of NO, per a post by haidut.

My personal experience supplementing with citruline per-work was temporary very good, and very bad. It truly does pump up my muscles like I never thought possible; truly, it's unreal -- like I'm looking at someone else in the mirror. But, it drops my heart-rate to dangerous levels. I understand everyone is different, and some may be able to handle it, but just sharing my experience. Since a really bad episode with low heart-rate, I now only use watermelon juice to get my citruline, versus supplementing. I grind up and juice the rinds along with the watermelon, which contain most of the citruline.

My experience has been pretty good with coffee, though a stimulant, it is a good pre-work. In addition, your suggestion of creatine has helped me as well, but I'm taking some time off from that.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals