Peat Vs Paleo - Similarities And Differences

The difference is one is based off of a snake-oily book called “The Paleo diet” from 2002 and the other is a biologist who doesn’t have ads on his website who just makes general recommendations and suggests that you think for yourself.

Grey areas

· Paleo dieters generally shy away from sugar and dairy, but they're not 100% outlawed, while on a Peat diet, they're a major component and encouraged

Starch: okay with paleo, not peat

Not true. Dairy is outlawed on original paleo from Loren Cordain. White sugar used therapeutically is certainly 100% outlawed in paleo. Paleo has what they call an "85:15 rule" where they "do it right" 85% and break the rules 15% of the time.

You said starch is allowed on paleo? Are you serious? Their whole campaign is anti-starch. They say "no potatoes" while Peat has said that potatoes are an almost perfect food.

What to Eat on The Paleo Diet | Dr. Loren Cordain

Peat thinks fruits are better than starch but has said that well cooked starch with a little fat added is “safe.” Peat would also agree that if one is in a fruit desert (desert, not dessert) meaning they do not have access to fruit, and they wanted more variety than lowfat/nonfat milk, starch from non-flour sources such as potatoes and white rice can be used and should be used to provide carbohydrate energy otherwise thyroid function will become sluggish.

Lightbringer

There are variants within Paleo. You have some that may be friendlier to a Peat approach - especially those that encourage lots of fruits.

Starch: okay with paleo, not peat
I assume you are now talking of the Perfect health diet instead of the diet proposed by Loren Cordain - the granddaddy of the Paleo movement but there are many offshoots with differing ideas.

Kasper

I think there is also something as Paleo 2.0 as Chris kresser calls it I think. Which is pro diary, and pro starch, and not against natural sugars from honey and fruit. He says that low carb is only good for certain conditions for example. I think that movement is not that far away from a ray peat inspired diet.

This seems to gradually change, mercola was lately interviewing someone, that explained to mercola that serotonin in the gut seems to cause inflammation there, and that a mice study showed that by blocking serotonin in the gut, the inflammation completely goes away. So there seems to be some hope here.

Thanks! This is good to hear...someone else out there speaking serotonin truth. AND Mercola maybe changing his brains about it too! Once he gets a hold of something I think he can influence alot of people. Unfortunately he was a big influence on my health demise. I was a patient at his clinic about 10 years ago. I oughta sue him for malpractice...he has nearly killed me with his no sugar/fruit beliefs! I always wondered why he was bald and frail looking if he really knew all the answers! :eek::D

Also interesting to learn more about Chris Kresser and the Paleo world. I never explored it much...just stayed more in the traditional diet/functional medicine circles. Good to understand better the different nuances of the Paleo gurus.

Hugh Johnson

I eat starch and grains when I want. I eat and do whatever I want, I just realise everything has consequences.

There is no Peat diet. There is research, and there is you as an individual.

There is not feeling like crap all the time...

DaveFoster

Hugh Johnson nailed it.

When I frequent Paleo forums, I just see the same dogma on vegan forums. Peat focuses on the evidence, and he combines this into a paradigm that focuses on energy balance; he states the metabolic rate as the most important factor in a living organism.

It's like comparing scientists to astrologists.

bobbybobbob

Yeah, paleo as originally construed was marketing. "It's diet and lifestyle we as modern cavemen are suited for!" It's seductive and easy to wrap your head around the theme without knowing much. It's easily plausible and enticing and in many ways actually correct. Peat's work is roughly useless to a marketer because it's nuanced and can't be succinctly turned into an image or slogan in such a way that joe public can immediately wrap his head around it. It's an interlocking set of tricky observations and ideas, like most valid takes in science and philosophy. An important question is boiling down the key concepts of peat in the modern context for public consumption. If this sounds elitist, well it is. Oh well, I guess that makes me an authoritarian.

Where a lot of paleo people are more correct and peat seems to be somewhat wrong is the great importance of exercise and movement. Disdain for "stressful" exercise pervades a lot of peat's comments and it is so far contrary to my experience, widely shared experience, and any "scientific" literature I've seen. If large numbers of people are exercising themselves into ill health I've seen no evidence. That's a tiny handful of nutjobs. Most people need to move a lot more, and do it outside in sunshine. Only some tiny fraction of weird people who land on forums like these have pathological over-exercise problems. Almost everybody would be much better off stronger and faster, and the way to do that is with appropriately dosed exercise.

I'm at the point where I feel like both diet and exercise in the context of a modern rich western countries are not the most salient concerns. The common ailments are mostly spiritual and social and political. PUFA oils or vitamins or other food quality issues are really not the most salient problems making people ill. The obesity epidemic is due to widespread learned helplessness and social atomization, not a lack of good orange juice and knowledge of its utility.

Yeah, paleo as originally construed was marketing. "It's diet and lifestyle we as modern cavemen are suited for!" It's seductive and easy to wrap your head around the theme without knowing much. It's easily plausible and enticing and in many ways actually correct. Peat's work is roughly useless to a marketer because it's nuanced and can't be succinctly turned into an image or slogan in such a way that joe public can immediately wrap his head around it. It's an interlocking set of tricky observations and ideas, like most valid takes in science and philosophy. An important question is boiling down the key concepts of peat in the modern context for public consumption. If this sounds elitist, well it is. Oh well, I guess that makes me an authoritarian.

Where a lot of paleo people are more correct and peat seems to be somewhat wrong is the great importance of exercise and movement. Disdain for "stressful" exercise pervades a lot of peat's comments and it is so far contrary to my experience, widely shared experience, and any "scientific" literature I've seen. If large numbers of people are exercising themselves into ill health I've seen no evidence. That's a tiny handful of nutjobs. Most people need to move a lot more, and do it outside in sunshine. Only some tiny fraction of weird people who land on forums like these have pathological over-exercise problems. Almost everybody would be much better off stronger and faster, and the way to do that is with appropriately dosed exercise.

I'm at the point where I feel like both diet and exercise in the context of a modern rich western countries are not the most salient concerns. The common ailments are mostly spiritual and social and political. PUFA oils or vitamins or other food quality issues are really not the most salient problems making people ill. The obesity epidemic is due to widespread learned helplessness and social atomization, not a lack of good orange juice and knowledge of its utility.

Obesity is from Pufas.

There is no proof that exercise makes you live longer. Activity is helpful but long lived people don't work out. Exercise may shorten life actually.

Luann

Paleo outlaws dairy, meanwhile the Swiss guzzle their milk (probably from better-kept cows, admittedly) and enjoy low crime rates, good health.

bobbybobbob

Obesity is from Pufas.

Obesity is from caloric excess and sedentarism.

There is no proof that exercise makes you live longer. Activity is helpful but long lived people don't work out. Exercise may shorten life actually.

There are reams and reams of studies showing how effective appropriately dosed exercise is massively beneficial for health. Being a grand tour cyclist or habitual marathon runner or body builder is bad. That's, what, 10 thousand people on the entire planet? The vast majority of people need to be walking a bit daily and then also doing something more intense like a weight training session once a week.

Obesity is from caloric excess and sedentarism.

There are reams and reams of studies showing how effective appropriately dosed exercise is massively beneficial for health. Being a grand tour cyclist or habitual marathon runner or body builder is bad. That's, what, 10 thousand people on the entire planet? The vast majority of people need to be walking a bit daily and then also doing something more intense like a weight training session once a week.
Wrong on both counts. But I'm not going to argue further. There are studies that show exercise massively helpful but they are not convincing. Obesity before Pufas was very rare.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals