Niacinamide Reverses Gastric Damage Caused By NSAID

haidut

Forum Supporter
One of the reasons cited for NOT recommending regular aspirin use is its effect on the GI tract. Thus, substances that reduce or prevent this damage are in high demand. This study shows that niacinamide, in relatively low doses, not only prevents GI damage caused by NSAIDs but is more effective than a commonly prescribed anti-ulcer drug sucralfate.
The human equivalent dose of niacinamide was 3mg/kg and it was enough to protect from GI damage caused by the same dose of NSAID (3mg/kg). So, for the people taking aspirin - it may be helpful if you include as much niacinamide as the dose of aspirin you are taking. Btw, I posted a study about a year ago showing that a human dose of about 600mg caffeine fully prevented GI damage done by aspirin. Yet another example of the synergy between the Peaty trio aspirin, niacinamide, and caffeine.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19857487

"...Nicotinamide, a precursor of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD(+)), is an essential nutrient for cell growth that participates in DNA repair and energy production. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)-induced gastropathy is an intricate process involving gastric mucus depletion, increased microvascular permeability, nitric oxide imbalance, as well as free radical production. The present study was conducted to test for the possible gastroprotective effect of nicotinamide utilizing an acute indomethacin-induced gastric ulcer model. Sucralfate possesses antiulcer/antioxidant properties; hence it was used as the reference drug. Indomethacin resulted in hemorrhagic mucosal lesions, increased microvascular permeability, and reduced the gastric mucosal contents of nitric oxide and mucus. Moreover, it produced an imbalance in the mucosal redox state as indicated by a decline of glutathione and glutathione peroxidase, which were associated with increased lipid peroxides. Comparable to sucralfate, nicotinamide markedly decreased the severity of indomethacin-induced gastric lesions and restored the levels of altered biochemical parameters. Gastroprotection afforded by nicotinamide is possibly mediated by conservation of gastric mucus, as well as nitric oxide contents, enhanced gastric microvascular permeability, and its antioxidant properties."

sweetly

Interesting, thanks Haidut.

raypeatclips

@haidut Do you think niacinamide could heal the gut from damage other than aspirin? I have in my head there was a study that niacinamide healed gut mucosa, but I'm struggling to find it via google search, or this forums search, so wondered if I had confused it with something else.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut Do you think niacinamide could heal the gut from damage other than aspirin? I have in my head there was a study that niacinamide healed gut mucosa, but I'm struggling to find it via google search, or this forums search, so wondered if I had confused it with something else.

I think glycine would be much better, but B3 should help as well and B6 has also been shown to help healing. There is a study on the forum somewhere about B6 and GI health.

raypeatclips

I think glycine would be much better, but B3 should help as well and B6 has also been shown to help healing. There is a study on the forum somewhere about B6 and GI health.

Thank you. Do you think the GI benefit is only achieved by taking the B vits orally, or would topically, such as energin yield the same benefits?

MattyG27

Should Glycine be taken separately from it being in a collagen product @haidut ?

In trying to heal the gut and eliminate food sensitivities what is the correct dosage of the niacinamide and aspirin or just stick with niacinamide and glycine instead?

RealNeat

I got an ulcer from aspirin use. (Don't lay down after taking aspirin)

I didn't think buffering it or treating it dangerously was important, but then I got an ulcer.

I still want to take aspirin but it really irritates my stomach.

I tried DGL and licorice tea and both have weird side effects. They seem harsh on the kidneys (flank ache/ pain) and the blood pressure increase, estrogen and cortisol are also noticeable.

I tried zinc carnosine but the kidney pain (likely leftover from the DGL) and 30mg/day opposing copper freaked me out so I stopped for now. For both I used Pure Encapsulations.

Hopefully this (niacinamide) will help, I have a big bag from bulk supplements, but I don't know if it will help after an ulcer forms?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals