MORE WEIGHT LOSS TALK

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Caller 3: I have low thyroid and low body temperature, around 97. Is that what you're talking about? Any suggestions?

Peat: If you have eaten things that suppressed your thyroid, sometimes just a deficiency of protein can create a low thyroid state. But usually, polyunsaturated fats, or too much of the cabbage family vegetables, too many beans and grains; all these have some anti-thyroid agents. Change your diet away from those towards the fruit, and milk and cheese categories. The saturated fats don't have these toxic and thyroid effects; so, butter and coconut oil can actually help to increase your metabolic rate and thyroid, while reducing inflammation.” -Ray Peat

Mathgirl

“RP: Yeah. And, some people wake up cyclically during the night. When I was counseling dieters, there were some very fat people who would wake up: one of them woke up every hour during the night. The other one, I think, was sleeping an hour and a half, or so. And I got them to set an alarm clock to wake themselves up about 5 or 10 minutes before their expected waking, and eat anything with carbohydrates (milk, or juice, or even a cracker or something), and to do that every hour. And, within a week, they were sleeping through the night, and then they were able to start losing weight. Those stress hormones that raise your temperature and pulse rate around dawn were also increasing the blood sugar ( in diabetics, they call it the dawn phenomenon). But it’s the result of the stress hormones that rise during the night. The darkness itself is causing stress, activating hormones. So, in the winter, people are more likely to have disturbed sleep, because of long nights. And getting extra carbohydrates late in the day can help you sleep longer without these episodes of…usually, its nightmares waking people up with a pounding heart.

HD: That’s the adrenalin, right ?

RP: Yeah.”

I keep a little bowl of salt by my bed, if I wake up I put a pinch of salt on my tongue. Usually works.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This is a good high protein lower fat meal I started my day off with today! I topped a cream fried egg with cottage cheese, I made yesterday, and hot sauce, and had it with collagen powder, for 25 grams of balanced protein for only 15 grams of fat. I will follow this up in a few minutes with some fresh orange juice….

1698427955723.jpeg

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I keep a little bowl of salt by my bed, if I wake up I put a pinch of salt on my tongue. Usually works.
I use to keep a half cup of water with sugar and salt mixed in at my bedside to get back to sleep, but now I have been using raw honey instead, mainly for better gum and teeth health, but that salt did work wonders. Maybe I will add a pinch of salt to my spoonful of honey for good measure. Thanks for the reminder!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
UPDATE:

I had an exchange with @learnedhelpless in another thread this morning with him asking if I have changed my mind about starches, and I responded, “no I have not”. In my “Lose Fat No Pounds” thread I talk of my “skinny fat” years being skinny on starches, but my muscle tone was never as good as mine is now without them. Sure I could eat my starches and get my muscle tone going to the gym, but I don’t have to go to the gym avoiding starches and getting a good amount of balanced protein and calcium. My weight does not fluctuate from 143 anymore, except for days I eat starches or go to a restaurant. Now that I don’t eat starches much I don’t crave them anymore either, they don’t even sound good to me. I eat according to my desires, which changes every week, so I never get bored of my meals. Here is a couple of seeing-is-believing pics from this week. I am in a size 6 jean and just exchanged a new pair for a size 4, a 27. I’m loving sixty!

1698500487033.jpeg

1698500504043.jpeg

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Love my sprouted brown rice cereal!

“Manganese is an essential cofactor for various enzymes, meaning that it helps these enzymes function and work properly in your body.

It also plays a role in the production of thyroxine.

Thyroxine is a vital hormone, important for the normal function of your thyroid gland, which helps you maintain a proper appetite, metabolism, weight and organ efficiency (31Trusted Source).

As a result, a manganese deficiency could cause or contribute to a hypothyroid condition, which may contribute to weight gain and hormone imbalances (31Trusted Source).“

1699132131867.jpeg

1699132194478.jpeg

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I found myself some raw buckwheat honey….

“This rich, dark honey has also been the focus of a number of studies. Research done at University of California, Davis concluded that eating honey boosts antioxidant levels. This was a small controlled study of 25 people who ate between four and ten tablespoons of buckwheat honey everyday for a month. The amount consumed was dependant on the individual's size. The honey could be eaten in whatever manner the participants wanted as long as it wasn't baked or dissolved in a hot liquid. The result was that antioxidant levels when up in all of the people participating. Researchers concluded that the honey had as many antioxidants as:

• Spinach
  • Apples
  • Strawberries
  • Oranges
Another point that's worth mentioning regarding this study is that none of the people taking part in it gained weight during the study.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Since fat has a very low rate of metabolism, people who lose muscle by fasting are going to have increasing difficulty in losing weight, since they will have less active tissue to consume fat. Building up muscle and lymph tissue for optimal health – even if it initially causes a slight weight gain – will make reducing easier by increasing mass of metabolically active tissue.” -Ray Peat

Mossy

Love my sprouted brown rice cereal!

“Manganese is an essential cofactor for various enzymes, meaning that it helps these enzymes function and work properly in your body.

It also plays a role in the production of thyroxine.

Thyroxine is a vital hormone, important for the normal function of your thyroid gland, which helps you maintain a proper appetite, metabolism, weight and organ efficiency (31Trusted Source).

As a result, a manganese deficiency could cause or contribute to a hypothyroid condition, which may contribute to weight gain and hormone imbalances (31Trusted Source).“

View attachment 57870
View attachment 57871
I like the idea of sprouted grains, but I see this cereal comes out to just under $20/lb, buying online. Maybe it's a bit cheaper local. That price motivated me to search out a DIY for sprouted rice and I found this. I bet it could say a bundle:

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I like the idea of sprouted grains, but I see this cereal comes out to just under $20/lb, buying online. Maybe it's a bit cheaper local. That price motivated me to search out a DIY for sprouted rice and I found this. I bet it could say a bundle:

That cereal is so light that it would take a lot of bowls of it to equal a pound. I don’t know that all of the time and effort would be worth the small savings. Thanks for the idea though. Are you going to give making it a try?

Mossy

That cereal is so light that it would take a lot of bowls of it to equal a pound. I don’t know that all of the time and effort would be worth the small savings. Thanks for the idea though. Are you going to give making it a try?
I am considering it. As you note, time and effort, with TIME being the biggest factor. The biggest factor in knowing if it's really a cost saver will be the weight loss during dehydration or cooking, Also, I would need to figure out which is best, dehydration or cooking. Higher end, organic brown rice is about $3/lb, in bulk. I could guess that after dehydration you'd lose about 3-5x the weight; so, the end product would be about $9-$15/lb. If it ended up being $9-$10/lb, I could see how that would be worth it, as compared to buying it pre-made at $20/lb. In addition to the cost, is a degree of control of what you're eating. Of course, the original dry rice would have to be bought, so no control over that.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I am considering it. As you note, time and effort, with TIME being the biggest factor. The biggest factor in knowing if it's really a cost saver will be the weight loss during dehydration or cooking, Also, I would need to figure out which is best, dehydration or cooking. Higher end, organic brown rice is about $3/lb, in bulk. I could guess that after dehydration you'd lose about 3-5x the weight; so, the end product would be about $9-$15/lb. If it ended up being $9-$10/lb, I could see how that would be worth it, as compared to buying it pre-made at $20/lb. In addition to the cost, is a degree of control of what you're eating. Of course, the original dry rice would have to be bought, so no control over that.
Don’ forget that you have to take a couple of days to sprout the rice first, before cooking it.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
UPDATE:

I got through my Thanksgiving without compromise, spending the day teaching my brother how to cook better for himself. We made a “Peaty” cottage pie and a cheesecake, instead of turkey. I have never cared for turkey. Anyways, I am happy that my weight never fluctuates anymore sticking at 143/144 and if anything the scale goes lower if I don’t eat enough. Raw milk and a gum free cottage cheese with jam are my big go-to’s, and I still don’t eat much meat. If I eat grains it is organic wheat products, wanting to avoid glysophate, or I eat sprouted rice. I try to get fresh oranges in and I eat several spoonfuls of raw honey everyday and night, buckwheat lately. Egg yolks are a staple and homemade bone broth soups, as well as boiled white sweet potatoes and regular red ones too, maybe once a week. If I am going to a restaurant I drink a couple of cups of milk before I go and drink some when I get back, to displace the PUFA’s, but also to reduce my appetite so I don’t eat more at a restaurant being hungry. This is the longest I have ever gone without thinking about watching my weight, over a year now. I think what has happened in the past is that I would eat a certain way to lose the weight and when I got to my goal I would go back to eating how I regularly did. How I eat now, and strategize times I have to stray, is my life-style. I enjoy my food more than I ever have before, because it not only tastes wonderful, but it makes me feel good. Everyday I am confident in my skin and I wouldn’t trade any “chest day” for it. Here is my pic update from two days ago.

1700848909356.jpeg

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Q: I have no control over oils when eating out. What can I do to offset the harmful effects of polyunsaturated oils?

“A small amount of these oils won't kill you. It is the proportion of them in your diet that matters. A little extra vitamin E (such as 100 units per day) will take care of an occasional American restaurant meal. Based on animal studies, it would take a teaspoonful per day of corn or soy oil added to a fat-free diet to significantly increase our risk of cancer. Unfortunately, it is impossible to devise a fat-free diet outside of a laboratory. Vegetables, grains, nuts, fish and meats all naturally contain large amounts of these oils, and the extra oil used in cooking becomes a more serious problem.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
UPDATE:

I made these flourless peanut butter cookies last week, with organic defatted peanut powder and refined coconut oil. I used only 2/3 cup of sugar instead of the full cup that the recipe called for. The recipe made 9 cookies, so having one is about 10 grams of protein, and having one with a cold glass of milk was the best snack!
1701101323237.jpeg

1701101252209.jpeg

1701101269622.jpeg

1701101479095.jpeg

1701101499180.jpeg

Peatful

UPDATE:

I made these flourless peanut butter cookies last week, with organic defatted peanut powder and refined coconut oil. I used only 2/3 cup of sugar instead of the full cup that the recipe called for. The recipe made 9 cookies, so having one is about 10 grams of protein, and having one with a cold glass of milk was the best snack!
View attachment 58675
View attachment 58673
View attachment 58674
View attachment 58676
View attachment 58677
Will make these with my girls once school lets out for winter break.
Thank you

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Will make these with my girls once school lets out for winter break.
Thank you
Your welcome!

The cookies will seem on the dry side, not sticky doughy, but force them into to a ball, and put them on a parchment lined baking sheet, sprinkle some sugar on top while flattening each ball with a fork, making a cross cross shape. Melt the refined coconut oil, starting with maybe a half cup and mix it with the whole 8.5 ounce jar of peanut powder until it starts getting almost like peanut butter. I used about 2/3 cup of sugar.

Peatful

Your welcome!

The cookies will seem on the dry side, not sticky doughy, but force them into to a ball, and put them on a parchment lined baking sheet, sprinkle some sugar on top while flattening each ball with a fork, making a cross cross shape. Melt the refined coconut oil, starting with maybe a half cup and mix it with the whole 8.5 ounce jar of peanut powder until it starts getting almost like peanut butter. I used about 2/3 cup of sugar.
Excellent
Thank you

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals