Methylphenidate (Ritalin Or Concerta) Lowers Social Anxiety

DaveFoster

Dr. Peat has mentioned caffeine as a treatment from attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), as the drug has a similar effect in the brain as methylphenidate. Caffeine has been shown to have anxiogenic (anxiety-producing effects), whereas methylphenidate (the extended-release version) has been shown to actually improve social anxiety in adults with ADHD.

"The relationship between social anxiety disorder (SAD) and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a subject which has recently become a topic of interest for research.

In this study, 20 patients with comorbid SAD and adult ADHD who were treated with extended-release methylphenidate monotherapy were evaluated retrospectively.

Clinical response for both ADHD and SAD symptoms was observed in 17 of 20 patients. Overall, one patient did not respond to treatment and two patients dropped out of treatment at the beginning due to adverse effects.

Extended-release methylphenidate improved both SAD and ADHD symptoms and was generally well tolerated. Further studies are required to investigate the relationship between SAD and ADHD."

Reference:

Koyuncu, Ahmet, et al. “Extended-Release Methylphenidate Monotherapy in Patients with Comorbid Social Anxiety Disorder and Adult Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: Retrospective Case Series.” Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology, vol. 7, no. 11, Nov. 2017, pp. 241–47. PubMed Central, doi:10.1177/2045125317714193.​

Jsaute21

Dr. Peat has mentioned caffeine as a treatment from attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), as the drug has a similar effect in the brain as methylphenidate. Caffeine has been shown to have anxiogenic (anxiety-producing effects), whereas methylphenidate (the extended-release version) has been shown to actually improve social anxiety in adults with ADHD.

"The relationship between social anxiety disorder (SAD) and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a subject which has recently become a topic of interest for research.

In this study, 20 patients with comorbid SAD and adult ADHD who were treated with extended-release methylphenidate monotherapy were evaluated retrospectively.

Clinical response for both ADHD and SAD symptoms was observed in 17 of 20 patients. Overall, one patient did not respond to treatment and two patients dropped out of treatment at the beginning due to adverse effects.

Extended-release methylphenidate improved both SAD and ADHD symptoms and was generally well tolerated. Further studies are required to investigate the relationship between SAD and ADHD."

Reference:

Koyuncu, Ahmet, et al. “Extended-Release Methylphenidate Monotherapy in Patients with Comorbid Social Anxiety Disorder and Adult Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: Retrospective Case Series.” Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology, vol. 7, no. 11, Nov. 2017, pp. 241–47. PubMed Central, doi:10.1177/2045125317714193.​
I don’t take ADD medication though I used to as a young child (age 13-18.) I only don’t take it because Peat claims it to be highly estrogenic. However, it’s effects on work output, focus, positive energy, fat burning, workout performance (I could keep going) are undoubted. I would consider it the biggest performance enhancer for athletics or work that one could administer. With that being said, coffee, methylene blue, vitamins and other peaty things are very effective and effects are more subtle.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

I don’t take ADD medication though I used to as a young child (age 13-18.) I only don’t take it because Peat claims it to be highly estrogenic. However, it’s effects on work output, focus, positive energy, fat burning, workout performance (I could keep going) are undoubted. I would consider it the biggest performance enhancer for athletics or work that one could administer. With that being said, coffee, methylene blue, vitamins and other peaty things are very effective and effects are more subtle.
Did you specifically ask him about methylphenidate? He may have been referring to amphetamine, explicitly stated as estrogenic in one of his articles.

lampofred

Did you specifically ask him about methylphenidate? He may have been referring to amphetamine, explicitly stated as estrogenic in one of his articles.

I thought amphetamine would be anti estrogenic? Excitotoxic definitely but I thought stimulants as a rule increase testosterone and progesterone thus making them anti estrogenic.

lampofred

I thought amphetamine would be anti estrogenic? Excitotoxic definitely but I thought stimulants as a rule increase testosterone and progesterone thus making them anti estrogenic.

Jsaute21

I did not. Have never asked him. I’ve seen adderall take friends of mine who were depressed, fat etc. and make them hungry, motivated and successful. Not trying to be a salesman for it as I am afraid of consistent administration, but what it does for people is quite remarkable.

Mufasa

Haidut warned me for the serotonine increasing properties of ritalin. I have taken concerta for years, but I would not recommend anyone.

bdawg

Reference:

@DaveFoster what do you think the mechanism is?

Is pure dopamine receptor agonism all that's required? If so shouldn't other chemicals with this property also lower SA?

Otherwise thanks for linking this. I am almost a perfect case for this study as I have untreated ADHD and SA since childhood which this paper links to dysfunctional D2 striatal receptor binding.

I have always pointed out that phenelzine despite the sides has the best efficacy for SA symptoms, this paper now links that action to dopamine.

I can note that Lisuride (D2 agonist) did not improve either of my symptoms and I overall had a bad/noisy experience with a throbbing headache.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals