Low carbohydrate intake correlates with trends of insulin resistance and metabolic acidosis in healthy lean individuals

cs3000

Results: Low carbohydrate intake (<45% of total energy) was found to significantly correlate with dysregulated glucose homeostasis as measured by elevations in HOMA-IR, HOMA-β% assessment, and C-peptide levels. Low carbohydrate intake was also found to be coupled with lower serum bicarbonate and serum albumin levels, with an increased anion gap indicating metabolic acidosis. The elevation in C-peptide under low carbohydrate intake was found to be positively correlated with the secretion of IRS-related inflammatory markers, including FGF2, IP-10, IL-6, IL-17A, and MDC, but negatively correlated with IL-3.

Discussion: Overall, the findings of the study showed that, for the first time, low-carbohydrate intake in healthy individuals of a normal weight might lead to dysfunctional glucose homeostasis, increased metabolic acidosis, and the possibility of triggering inflammation by C-peptide elevation in plasma

Peatful

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:nailedit

Thank you. Only 20 in the high carb group. Speculation that there is a U-shaped curve as to high carb harms but not significant.

OP
cs3000

cs3000

chococat

Forum Supporter
Glad you found this! I see more and more people going extremely low carb for no reason in particular I’m afraid and it’s going to lead to a world of trouble…

I suspect 65% of calories from carbs is reasonable for most people. It is tough to get really high carb without some fat to make it palatable.

OP
cs3000

cs3000

A 7 day non controlled study....come on guys really???
I suspect 65% of calories from carbs is reasonable for most people. It is tough to get really high carb without some fat to make it palatable.
could have been longer to get a better estimation of intake but people are creatures of habit , so i think 7 days probs gives good enough general estimation to tell which is typically low carb & observe their differences
gave extra observations on top of aligning with this , 40% - 60%
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6339822/
low carb giving less plant fiber might play a role. excessive protein intake. extra pufa. more plant based diet might help offset low carb with polyphenols countering oxidative stress from pufa release etc
but carbs are needed for thyroid and animal studies show low carb can create insulin resistance A low-carbohydrate diet induces hepatic insulin resistance and metabolic associated fatty liver disease in mice - PubMed , our bodies need glucose either way and that goes to less efficient backup system

but yeah still observation studies. u cant really do a trial with this would take too long. low carb might be useful for a time in some situations but idk about that for extended periods for most ppl. seems like a likely way to get diabetic & hypothyroid

Last edited:

FrenchKiwi

could have been longer to get a better estimation of intake but people are creatures of habit , so i think 7 days probs gives good enough general estimation to tell which is typically low carb & observe their differences
gave extra observations on top of aligning with this , 40% - 60%
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6339822/
low carb giving less plant fiber might play a role. excessive protein intake. extra pufa. more plant based diet might help offset low carb with polyphenols countering oxidative stress from pufa release etc
but carbs are needed for thyroid and animal studies show low carb can create insulin resistance A low-carbohydrate diet induces hepatic insulin resistance and metabolic associated fatty liver disease in mice - PubMed , our bodies need glucose either way and that goes to less efficient backup system

but yeah still observation studies. u cant really do a trial with this would take too long. low carb might be useful for a time in rare situations but idk about that for extended periods for most ppl. seems like a good way to get diabetic & hypothyroid
Glad you found this! I see more and more people going extremely low carb for no reason in particular I’m afraid and it’s going to lead to a world of trouble…
People are lowering carbs to address their weight issues, and despite my love for high carb peat friendly foods, I cannot achieve my ideal bodyweight eating this way unless I consciously portion control my food. I don't see huge success with ideal body composition on this forum either. So, what is the solution? Eating higher protein and fat seems to keep hunger down naturally

Have you tried high carb low fat diet? I find it works very well to lose body fat I think by controlling cortisol.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals