Just started Cyproheptadine

kiran

I just started taking cyproheptadine a few days ago. I'm taking 2mg at bedtime, and it seems to be working pretty well so far. Also taking cytomel thru the day if that's relevant at all.

My appetite seems to have increased. It's nice to eat 4 meals a day, especially when someone else is doing the cooking. :D
(as an aside, Indian coke also uses sugar. :lol: )

One drawback is that I do seem to get some very mild asthma like feelings about 20 hours after I take the cyproheptadine. I'm thinking I just notice it at that time when the cypro has almost worn off (half-life is 8 hours). I did have moderate asthma as a child, but it went away around puberty.

Beebop

That's interesting kiran, would you mind explaining why are you taking cyproheptadine?
I'd be interested to find out how it goes for you.

Is asthma one of the potential side effects, I can't remember?

OP
kiran

kiran

Cyproheptadine is one of the things Ray recommends to reduce serotonin. High serotonin is associated with asthma...

pyttsan

I think this sounds like a rather bad idea actually. Cyproheptadine is 5HT2a antagonist and will reduce dopamine, a low dose of LSD would do the opposite more or less. Why do you want to do this?

[mod]This post contains alternatives to Ray Peat's views. For a full explanation click here.[/mod]

OP
kiran

kiran

I'm trying to reduce serotonin. Unfortunately it seems like reducing serotonin by other means (ondansetron, ionizer) results in anxiety attacks and such. So I'm giving cyproheptadine a shot. Thoughts?

Jenn

Gelatin and coffee.
"All of the conditions involving excess prolactin, serotonin, and cortisol (autism, postpartum and premenstrual problems, Cushing's disease, "diabetes," impotence, etc.) should benefit from reduced consumption of tryptophan. But the specifically antiinflammatory amino acids in gelatin also antagonize the excitatory effects of the tryptophan-serotonin-estrogen- prolactin system."

pyttsan

kiran said:
I'm trying to reduce serotonin. Unfortunately it seems like reducing serotonin by other means (ondansetron, ionizer) results in anxiety attacks and such. So I'm giving cyproheptadine a shot. Thoughts?

Hm I see.. How about cetirizine? Won't pass the BBB I think.

pyttsan

Only in the PFC, if I'm not mistaken. Overall dopaminergic tone is supposed to be reduced by antagonists of the receptor, but 5ht2a agonists otoh should increase it.

Personally I can't stand 5ht2a antagonism as it always dulls me off and make me depressed. Unfortunately it's hard to find anti-histamines without this mechanism of action. Diphenhydramine seems interesting but it's not available where I live :/

Philomath

Re: Acetazolamide

Just received my diamox! (and cyproheptadine) any thoughts on dosing? I'm thinking maybe 100mg twice a day with diamox, maybe a single cyproheptadine before bed. Should I start with one med only so I know how each works - to keep from muddying the waters?

Mittir

Philomath said:
Just received my diamox! (and cyproheptadine) any thoughts on dosing? I'm thinking maybe 100mg twice a day with diamox, maybe a single cyproheptadine before bed. Should I start with one med only so I know how each works - to keep from muddying the waters?
RP recommends starting with a small dose of cyproheptadine. Here is a RP quote from
peatarian.com peat exchanges.

Ray Peat said:
It's good to start with about half a milligram, at bedtime, to judge its effects when sedation isn't risky.
Cyproheptadine, 2 to 4 mg at bedtime, would help with his sleep as well as the cancer. It also has calcium blocking action, aldosterone antagonism, and antagonizes serotonin's antidiuretic effect.

I experimented with half a miligram of cypro for about 2 weeks and it felt great in many
respects but it gave indigestion problem. Upset stomach is one of the side effect of
cyproheptadine. I think it is best to try one new supplement at a time.
Both cypro and diamox are powerful ingredient. You can check side effects list
for both before starting these.

Blossom

Forum Supporter

Philomath said:
I started one at a time separated by a couple weeks so I could know if I had side effects what to attribute it to. I think that is always wise. Mittir's point about reviewing the side effects is also excellent advice. Good luck! I have taken and benefited from both medicines.

Blossom

Forum Supporter

Two things I learned when researching diamox that might be helpful to know are: 1. Avoid high dose aspirin due to the potential risk of acidosis. 2. Avoid taking baking soda/sodium bicarbonate as the body can't process it normally while on diamox. I also noticed kidney pain from the mineral waters with high sodium bicarb. Just thought I'd mention those two things!

Philomath

Thanks! I started the Cypro at 1/2 tablet or 200 mg before bed yesterday - slept fine. Took the same at breakfast and was pretty drowsy most of the day. I'm stepping it down to 100mg tonight. I did notice a decrease in stuffiness. Blossom, what kind of changes did you encounter over your first two weeks? Do you take it during the day?

Blossom

Forum Supporter

Blossom said:
Two things I learned when researching diamox that might be helpful to know are: 1. Avoid high dose aspirin due to the potential risk of acidosis. 2. Avoid taking baking soda/sodium bicarbonate as the body can't process it normally while on diamox. I also noticed kidney pain from the mineral waters with high sodium bicarb. Just thought I'd mention those two things!
1 cyproheptadine tablet that I normally get equals 4mg.
1 diamox tablet that I normally get equals 250 mg.
I used to keep my daytime cyproheptadine dose/doses at 1mg once or twice per day and took 4mg typically at night.
When I took diamox I took 250mg twice daily one in the morning and once at night. This is just what worked for me personally. I did vary my dosing with each a bit to figure out the best schedule and amount for me. My amounts changed as my health changed as well. I'll reflect on any side effects and post those soon if it could be of any help.

Blossom

Forum Supporter

Philomath said:
Thanks! I started the Cypro at 1/2 tablet or 200 mg before bed yesterday - slept fine. Took the same at breakfast and was pretty drowsy most of the day. I'm stepping it down to 100mg tonight. I did notice a decrease in stuffiness. Blossom, what kind of changes did you encounter over your first two weeks? Do you take it during the day?
When I started cyproheptadine I started with nighttime dosing and gradually increased from 1mg to 4mg. Later I added 1mg during the day as needed. I know other forum members have started with .5 mg cyproheptadine at first. The drowsiness side effect did seem to be worse initially. I've also read some forum members felt cyproheptadine disturbed their sleep if taken at night. It illustrates that we are all a bit different and it's valuable to get a variety of input. I will post more as I'm able.

Blossom

Forum Supporter

Cyproheptadine did seem to increase my appetite at first which for me at the time was a good thing. Besides that and drowsiness I can't think of any other side effects that I had personally. I still keep it on hand for occasional use if needed. With diamox I only noticed a little too much of a diuretic action when I experimented with 250 mg three times per day. When that happened I just cut back the dose to 250 mg twice per day. I would probably still be taking it but my old source now requires a prescription and I just haven't found a new source that doesn't charge significantly more(tax,higher shipping ect.). I may take it again someday. I hope this all works out great for you.

Philomath

So it sounds like you are not taking either right now Blossom. Are you still experiencing the positive effects? Was your initial run with both drugs what prompted a return to an oxidative metabolism?

Blossom

Forum Supporter

Philomath said:
So it sounds like you are not taking either right now Blossom. Are you still experiencing the positive effects? Was your initial run with both drugs what prompted a return to an oxidative metabolism?
I believe so. I'm happy I took them both. :D

Blossom

Forum Supporter

Blossom said:
Philomath said:
I believe so. I'm happy I took them both. :D
I must add that I think the meds would have been far less effective if I hadn't been following a Peat inspired approach. I only stopped them both recently and I'm happy to feel well enough to do so! I do still take a 1/4 -1/2 tablet of cyproheptadine on occasion. In other words I think the whole approach worked synergistically for restoring oxidative metabolism.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals