Haidut, Mercola, Cancer, Fat restriction

movebetter

I am confused about what fats need restriction with cancer. are you saying saturated fats, like butter and coconut oil?

Haidut said:
"now we're back to the other macronutrient uh restricting
45:15
the supply fat"

I am confused about what fats need restriction with cancer. are you saying saturated fats, like butter and coconut oil?

Haidut said:
the supply fat"
Cancer thrives on all fats. Remember too that losing weight releases fats into the body for cancer to feed on, and the bad ones at that. Cancer need sugar also to grow, but restricting sugar will cause it to spread looking for it, so give it just enough to kill it in place, and starve it of its need for fat instead.

OP
movebetter

movebetter

Cancer thrives on all fats. Remember too that losing weight releases fats into the body for cancer to feed on, and the bad ones at that. Cancer need sugar also to grow, but restricting sugar will cause it to spread looking for it, so give it just enough to kill it in place, and starve it of its need for fat instead.
Thanks for the info and the link. It is starting to make sense.

How low on fat do you think is best? I am thin, 145lbs 6' with belly fat. Is belly fat pufa? Will that get released on a low fat diet?

OP
movebetter

movebetter

hi Rinse & rePeat, did you have a chance to consider my questions?

How low on fat do you think is best? I am thin, 145lbs 6' with belly fat. Is belly fat pufa? Will that get released on a low fat diet?

and is it just PUFAS or is saturated fat also cancer feeding?

hi Rinse & rePeat, did you have a chance to consider my questions?

and is it just PUFAS or is saturated fat also cancer feeding?
I don’t think there is a definitive answer. I do think the fact that your thin is to your benefit, because the fats that the body stores and gets released in a situation like yours is far more toxic than eating saturated fats. Ray Peat says stored fats are polyunsaturated and extremely oxidized and toxic. Switch to raw honey and avoid white sugar. If it were me I would eat raw honey, especially Manuka, and fruit would be secondary. Your body needs fat and a sugar source, so just do the best you can. Stressing and constantly thinking about the cancer is more detrimental than eating some fats. I have a friend that I adore, that was diagnosed with stage-4 bone and breast cancer in March of 2020, and given 3 to 5 months to live, and she is still going strong. She has pain, but with big changes in her diet, and habits, the cancer is not growing anymore. She swears by the Manuka honey and grounding outside, with her bare feet in the dirt. The cancer is in every part of her body. Here is her x-rays, the black is the cancer. Stay positive @movebetter, smile and laugh a lot, call friends and family daily, keep moving and get sunshine, that’s what she does.

Attachments

• D1377077-93CB-48F6-9DEE-094E49D79164.jpeg
    D1377077-93CB-48F6-9DEE-094E49D79164.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54

Jackson Chung

I don’t think there is a definitive answer. I do think the fact that your thin is to your benefit, because the fats that the body stores and gets released in a situation like yours is far more toxic than eating saturated fats. Ray Peat says stored fats are polyunsaturated and extremely oxidized and toxic. Switch to raw honey and avoid white sugar. If it were me I would eat raw honey, especially Manuka, and fruit would be secondary. Your body needs fat and a sugar source, so just do the best you can. Stressing and constantly thinking about the cancer is more detrimental than eating some fats. I have a friend that I adore, that was diagnosed with stage-4 bone and breast cancer in March of 2020, and given 3 to 5 months to live, and she is still going strong. She has pain, but with big changes in her diet, and habits, the cancer is not growing anymore. She swears by the Manuka honey and grounding outside, with her bare feet in the dirt. The cancer is in every part of her body. Here is her x-rays, the black is the cancer. Stay positive @movebetter, smile and laugh a lot, call friends and family daily, keep moving and get sunshine, that’s what she does.

Curious, how does she ground? For how long? I'd be interested in her protocol.

Manuka honey has methylgllyoxal. From my research 10 years ago, I believe a lady in West Bengal India did studies showing it to cure or treat cancer very well. Unable to find the studies in the quick 5 minuute search I did. Works a lot like DCA (look it up). I'd have your friend speak to a doctor before doing this, but there are many additional things she can do in addition to her diet to cure the cancer (look at this forum). I'd add them slowly as you don't want to kill tumors on the bones too quickly and allow the bones to regenerate.

OP
movebetter

movebetter

Thank you, what you say makes sense. I don't worry much about the cancer, I just don't want to do something foolish out of ignorance.

I live on Maui and have been mostly barefoot for 14 years.

I have belly fat and from what I can understand that kind of fat is pufa.

There is a very good local honey here that I have been consuming. I'm curious why you say not to use white sugar.

That's amazing about your friend. Are you able the share her diet changes?

CaptJim

Thank you, what you say makes sense. I don't worry much about the cancer, I just don't want to do something foolish out of ignorance.

I live on Maui and have been mostly barefoot for 14 years.

I have belly fat and from what I can understand that kind of fat is pufa.

There is a very good local honey here that I have been consuming. I'm curious why you say not to use white sugar.

That's amazing about your friend. Are you able the share her diet changes?
Firstly Ray Peat says white sugar would be a last resort for anybody if you can’t find good ripe fruit or honey. In your position you need all the nutrition you can get so white sugar adds nothing there.

Curious, how does she ground? For how long? I'd be interested in her protocol.
Manuka honey has methylgllyoxal. From my research 10 years ago, I believe a lady in West Bengal India did studies showing it to cure or treat cancer very well. Unable to find the studies in the quick 5 minuute search I did. Works a lot like DCA (look it up). I'd have your friend speak to a doctor before doing this, but there are many additional things she can do in addition to her diet to cure the cancer (look at this forum). I'd add them slowly as you don't want to kill tumors on the bones too quickly and allow the bones to regenerate.
My friend is not into health and really has her own ways of what she wants to do, so when I suggested grounding it sounded silly I think, but she started to see it working for me so she gave it a try one day. She put a chair outside in the sun, on a cool day, took her shoes off and sat there for twenty minutes with her feet in the dirt. She told me that she had so much energy and less pain that day and the next, so she has kept it up. She said she notices a difference the days she doesn’t ground. On the same day she started grounding she also took a spoonful of Manuka honey. Three weeks later, last month, she had her tests at City Of Hope, and her results were the best they had been in three years, and they told her whatever she was doing to keep it up, and that the cancer wasn’t progressing, and they wouldn’t need to see her, but once every three months instead of every month. She doesn’t know which one made the difference, the grounding or the Manuka honey, but she keeps doing both, and I am not going to suggest she do anything different either.

OP
movebetter

movebetter

Firstly Ray Peat says white sugar would be a last resort for anybody if you can’t find good ripe fruit or honey. In your position you need all the nutrition you can get so white sugar adds nothing there.
Thanks, that makes sense and will stick with honey and fruit even though they are more expensive.

I am still confused by what Haidut said in the Marcola interview a few days ago. Have you heard it? The part where he says this.
Haidut said:
the supply fat".

I assumed he meant all fats including saturated. This might be different then what he was saying in his 2017 post A Saturated Fatty Acid (caprylic) Can Obliterate Tumors (in-vivo) In Just Hours

"caprylic acid (HED was 5g - 10g, used just twice in a single day) was able to obliterate most of the studied tumors..

Coconut oil contains 6%-10% caprylic acid, so that is probably the best dietary source to replicate the design of this study."

I noticed in your 2022 post you shared that you said;
"though coconut oil and animal fats are better fats, fats still cause problems. I for one find fats important for my skin and joints, but for those fighting cancer and weight related degenerative conditions, they are feeding those issues."

This is clearly saying that with cancer it is better to restrict saturated fats. Do I get that right?

Capt.Jim, thanks for this. It seems like these are saying coconut oil would be good for fighting cancer. Did you listen to Haidut interview with Marcola?

View: https://youtu.be/WyE7kP8NrBI

Where he says this:
Haidut said:
the supply fat"
I wonder if he has changed is opinion from the 2017 post you shared.

Also see me last reply to Rinse&rePeat.
Thanks!

OP
movebetter

movebetter

Thanks, that makes sense and will stick with honey and fruit even though they are more expensive.

I am still confused by what Haidut said in the Marcola interview a few days ago. Have you heard it? The part where he says this.
Haidut said:
the supply fat".

I assumed he meant all fats including saturated. This might be different then what he was saying in his 2017 post A Saturated Fatty Acid (caprylic) Can Obliterate Tumors (in-vivo) In Just Hours

"caprylic acid (HED was 5g - 10g, used just twice in a single day) was able to obliterate most of the studied tumors..

Coconut oil contains 6%-10% caprylic acid, so that is probably the best dietary source to replicate the design of this study."

"though coconut oil and animal fats are better fats, fats still cause problems. I for one find fats important for my skin and joints, but for those fighting cancer and weight related degenerative conditions, they are feeding those issues."

This is clearly saying that with cancer it is better to restrict saturated fats. Do I get that right?

Capt.Jim, thanks for this. It seems like these are saying coconut oil would be good for fighting cancer. Did you listen to Haidut interview with Marcola?

View: https://youtu.be/WyE7kP8NrBI

Where he says this:
Haidut said:
the supply fat"
I wonder if he has changed is opinion from the 2017 post you shared.

Thanks!

Sorry this is the correct link.

View: https://youtu.be/tg_R9kBv9gU

OP
movebetter

movebetter

Haidut said:
the supply fat"
@haidut could you weigh in on this?

Haidut said:
the supply fat".

Thanks!
I did not listen to the podcast @movebetter. Ray Peat had said that you can kill cancer overloading on fat too, over a short period of time, where the fat gorges itself to death. I don’t know how much fat that would be or in what amount of time. Saturated fats don’t cause cancer like PUFA do, but cancer thrives on all fats, this is my understanding.

CaptJim

Movebetter- I do not know what causes cancer. I do not believe it is SFA.
Since the organism has only two options for energy- fat and sugar, and we can use both I find it hard to believe that one can cause
death and the other does not.

In RP land we have some who claim to burn huge amounts of calories a day in a pro- metabolic , thermogenisisly induced healthy thyroid manner without
getting fat. But a calorie is heat. And 4000 extra calories a day burned would have a huge effect on body temp. Having a body temp of 101 long term might not be healthy at all.
Someone could argue that pathogens are good if they give you a fever.
We know that high heat kills tumors....
We also know that tumors are out of control growths .
So, my take is that PUFA is bad, but the primary cause of bad stuff happening is over consumption of calories- sugar or fat. Unless you are active and burn the extra calories they will either add to fat gain or extra cellular mass.

I did not start Peating to live forever- or to increase my lifespan. My goal was to stay as healthy as possible until the inevitable. Having lost family and friends to cancer, cvd and brain diseases I learned my fear is brain degenerative illness.
My maternal and paternal grand mothers were friends.
One died in her early 70s due to dementia. Smoked, ate mostly clean, homemade dishes. The other died in her upper 90s and loved potato chips, flour cooked in oil and coca cola. She developed stomach cancer in her 90s but was sharp til her last week. Neither was fat. But neither one of them ate huge amounts of food.

We all know the food pyramid is probably not the best course of action to stay healthy. Perhaps base metabolic rate is not also.
RP said hunger is stressful on the body.
I agree. But define hunger... is it when you feel hungry? Or is it when your stomach growls? Or is it when you get physical symptoms like an increase in heart rate from adrenaline being released to get more energy from the liver?-- For me the first indication of stress, in my case an increase in heart rate. and

we just described a form of intermittent fasting- that most here hate.

I postulate that chronic over calorie consumption for the given physical state and needs at the time for the organism is the primary driver of illness.
PUFA, SFA, sugars carbs and proteins in excess all lead to issues. The threshold of each when harm or damage occurs varies from person to person

"Let me have men about me that are fat,
Sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights.
Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look,
He thinks too much; such men are dangerous."

OP
movebetter

movebetter

Movebetter- I do not know what causes cancer. I do not believe it is SFA.
Since the organism has only two options for energy- fat and sugar, and we can use both I find it hard to believe that one can cause
death and the other does not.

In RP land we have some who claim to burn huge amounts of calories a day in a pro- metabolic , thermogenisisly induced healthy thyroid manner without
getting fat. But a calorie is heat. And 4000 extra calories a day burned would have a huge effect on body temp. Having a body temp of 101 long term might not be healthy at all.
Someone could argue that pathogens are good if they give you a fever.
We know that high heat kills tumors....
We also know that tumors are out of control growths .
So, my take is that PUFA is bad, but the primary cause of bad stuff happening is over consumption of calories- sugar or fat. Unless you are active and burn the extra calories they will either add to fat gain or extra cellular mass.

I did not start Peating to live forever- or to increase my lifespan. My goal was to stay as healthy as possible until the inevitable. Having lost family and friends to cancer, cvd and brain diseases I learned my fear is brain degenerative illness.
My maternal and paternal grand mothers were friends.
One died in her early 70s due to dementia. Smoked, ate mostly clean, homemade dishes. The other died in her upper 90s and loved potato chips, flour cooked in oil and coca cola. She developed stomach cancer in her 90s but was sharp til her last week. Neither was fat. But neither one of them ate huge amounts of food.

We all know the food pyramid is probably not the best course of action to stay healthy. Perhaps base metabolic rate is not also.
RP said hunger is stressful on the body.
I agree. But define hunger... is it when you feel hungry? Or is it when your stomach growls? Or is it when you get physical symptoms like an increase in heart rate from adrenaline being released to get more energy from the liver?-- For me the first indication of stress, in my case an increase in heart rate. and

we just described a form of intermittent fasting- that most here hate.

I postulate that chronic over calorie consumption for the given physical state and needs at the time for the organism is the primary driver of illness.
PUFA, SFA, sugars carbs and proteins in excess all lead to issues. The threshold of each when harm or damage occurs varies from person to person

"Let me have men about me that are fat,
Sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights.
Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look,
He thinks too much; such men are dangerous."
thanks CaptJim, lots of interesting things. One thing i was thinking is with more calories i would get more energy because i suffer with fatigue. Today i ate 2,800 calories but didnt feel much energy.

CaptJim

thanks CaptJim, lots of interesting things. One thing i was thinking is with more calories i would get more energy because i suffer with fatigue. Today i ate 2,800 calories but didnt feel much energy.
Sorry for taking so long to reply mb.
Low energy , fatigue can be caused by a lot of different things. My energy levels dropped as I got older.
Sleep apnea, sluggish digestion, NAFLD etc can cause being tired.
IMHO the three I listed are all food related illnesses.

The formula in the above article says my Base Metabolic Rate is 1788 calories a day, or 75 calories an hour.
My experience is that almost any amount above that and I gain weight . Keto, Atkins, Peatish makes no difference.
The calories in excess of that (in your case 2800) have to be stored-and the liver only has so much ability to store energy- the blood has only so much space to carry trigs...Where do the extra calories go?

I need to stress I am not Anti-Peat. I strongly believe in what he had said and written.
My issue is with people's interpretation of what he meant.
When we read about no weight gain in study X with an ad libitum diet of sugar , some assume that calories do not matter as long as it is sugar.
But even Peat says that if you gain weight on his milk and OJ diet, go to low fat milk. Hence calories matter.
We know- from reading these boards that we can only use 3 ounces of protein at a time (beyond that and the protein creates ammonia). Again, where does the rest of that 12 oz ribeye go?

What I am attempting to try now- is timing. Instead of three meals of 400-400-1000 calories, I will attempt 150-250 calories every two hours or so.
Maybe longer if the meal is meat based. I think that the large meal itself slows the body down.
I will let you know how it works out.

So in closing, it is not just fat restriction (I did VERY VERY low fat, high carb with nothing to show for it), but total calorie restriction. The calories we do consume
should avoid PUFA and starch. And if you avoid starch you will need to eat more frequently.

@Jackson Chung Are you referring to dichloroacetate? it's a PDK inhibitor, so honey does the same thing by activating pyruvate dehydrogenase?

Jackson Chung

@Jackson Chung Are you referring to dichloroacetate? it's a PDK inhibitor, so honey does the same thing by activating pyruvate dehydrogenase?

I am a bit too busy to check what the mechanism is. But if I remember correctly it switches off glycolysis which forces the cell to self destruct or fully oxidize sugar properly like normal cells, which if i rremember correctly from my reseearch 12 years ago could revert the cell back to normal.

Not all honey's do that. I am told Manuka Honey has high levels of methylgllyoxal which acts similarly to DCA.

I think all of these chemicals do the same thing in that they stop glycolysis and force the cell to properly oxidize sugar. Of course there is the fat oxidation part of it and that can be taken care of using niacinamide/aspirin/Pyrucet and other chemicals.

I haven't tried, nor do I recommend anyone try anything without talking to a doctor. But my opinion is that the right combination of these chemicals along with other healthy things should have a positive effect on nearly every disease.

This is the basis of Peat's work. And he's been right for a LONG time now.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals