Frustrated With Stuttering

Makaveli

I've had this damn stutter for since i was like 19-20 years old (about 10 years ago). Sometimes it's really bad but sometimes I have no stutter at all. If I'm stuck on a word I get embarrassed and it really makes me feel bad. Anyone have any advice on it? I've searched the forum with no luck. I did not find any mention of it from Ray either. Please help if you can.

Regina

I've had this damn stutter for since i was like 19-20 years old (about 10 years ago). Sometimes it's really bad but sometimes I have no stutter at all. If I'm stuck on a word I get embarrassed and it really makes me feel bad. Anyone have any advice on it? I've searched the forum with no luck. I did not find any mention of it from Ray either. Please help if you can.
Following.
I have the same problem too. More of a stammer. Part of my problem is introversion. I've worked everything out in my interior world but then when I go to converse or answer a question, there is a 'cat got your tongue' moment or the sound of my own voice flummoxes me. It's terrible and embarrassing.

raypeatclips

"Dear Ray,

Every so often ill have a day where I occasionally stutter, or mix up the starts of words. I notice when this is happening with my speech it also happens similarly when I write. A strong coffee seems to improve my ability to speak fast without fault. I just wondered if you had any thoughts about the reasons behind this. Thank you."

Ray Peat said:
I think it probably has to do with the temperature of the brain, and the associated motor systems, when the intention runs into reflexes that are operating at a slower speed.

Regina

"Dear Ray,

Every so often ill have a day where I occasionally stutter, or mix up the starts of words. I notice when this is happening with my speech it also happens similarly when I write. A strong coffee seems to improve my ability to speak fast without fault. I just wondered if you had any thoughts about the reasons behind this. Thank you."
Wow! Thanks much for posting RP's reply.
Yup. "intention runs into reflexes that are operating at a slower speed."
It happens in aikido too when learning anything new or even variations that are at all different. :facepalm:

I wish I could disambiguate my traffic jams. They are a whole lot better than they were though.

OP
M

Makaveli

"Dear Ray,

Thank you so much for sharing this. I don't know why but some moments I can talk perfectly but today, for example, the stuttering and stammering is bad. I wish there was something i could actively do to help the situtation. @Regina I share your pain!

Richiebogie

There are some useful speech exercises on youtube:

My friend had speech therapy in the 60's and 70's. He says he had the traffic jam issue so he was taught talking in rhythms.

I can't find any youtubes with that method off hand...

But there are other interesting resources:

Marilyn Monroe

Koveras

"Dear Ray,

If temperature and reflexes are involved, I wonder as to the role of the thyroid.

From Ray (via Functional Performance Systems)

“One of the oldest tests for hypothyroidism was the Achilles tendon reflex test in which the rate of relaxation of the calf muscle corresponds to thyroid function–the relaxation is slow in hypothyroid people. Water, sodium, and calcium are more slowly expelled by the hypothyroid muscle. Exactly the same slow relaxation occurs in the hypothyroid heart muscle, contributing to heart failure, because the semi-contracted heart can’t receive as much blood as the normally relaxed heart. The hypothyroid blood vessels are unable to relax properly, contributing to hypertension. Hypothyroid nerves don’t easily return to their energized relaxed state, leading to insomnia, parasthesias, movement disorders, and nerves that are swollen and very susceptible to pressure damage.”

“The thyroid hormone keeps the cellular energy high, the adrenaline low, and reflexes strong. It undoubtedly has an important effect on both perception and responses. In the high energy, expansive state, with tresholds raised, strong stimulus could evoke a strong response. Things are bigger, possibilities are greater.”

“Checking the relaxation rate of the Achilles reflex is a quick way to check the effect of the thyroid on your nerves and muscles; the relaxation should be instantaneous, loose and floppy.”

“There are several convenient indicators of the metabolic rate–the daily temperature cycle and pulse rate (the temperature should rise after breakfast), the amount of water lost by evaporation, and the speed of relaxation of muscles (Achilles reflex relaxation).”

“Measuring the speed and relaxation of the Achilles tendon reflex twitch is a traditional method for judging thyroid function, because in hypothyroidism the relaxation is visibly delayed.”

A quick pubmed search for stuttering and thyroid only turned up two results, interesting none the less

"In phonation and partly also in intonation the vibration proper of vocal cords is accompanied by the active participation of a neuromuscular reflex. A vocal fold as an oscillator is connected with the thyroid, i.e. the resonator, by a firm mechanical bond. Increased demands upon the tightness of this bond occur during speech. Thus the defective mechanism of the radiation of energy is offered as a contribution to the explanation of the etiology of stuttering."

[Voice production is the result of a reflex process]. - PubMed - NCBI

"Fluency-enhancing speech feedback, originating from internally or externally generated sources via auditory or visual sensory modalities is not restricted to a specific sensory modality or signal origination. Research suggests that externally generated digital vibrotactile speech feedback serves as an effective fluency enhancer. The present purpose was to test the fluency-enhancing effects of self-generated digital vibrotactile speech feedback on stuttering frequency. Adults who stutter read passages aloud over the telephone, both with and without digital vibrotactile speech feedback. Digital vibrotactile speech feedback was operationally defined as feeling the vibrations of the thyroid cartilage with the thumb and index finger while speaking. Analysis indicated that self-generated digital vibrotactile speech feedback reduced overt stuttering frequency by an average of 72%. As the specific neural mechanisms associated with stuttering and fluency enhancement from tactile speech feedback remain unknown, theoretical implications and clinical applications were discussed."

Effects of digital vibrotactile speech feedback on overt stuttering frequency. - PubMed - NCBI

And then there was some research on Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) from the '50's

A Consideration Of Thiamin Supplement In Prevention Of Stuttering In Preschool Children

Should Stutterers Try Vitamin B-1?

OP
M

Makaveli

If temperature and reflexes are involved, I wonder as to the role of the thyroid.

From Ray (via Functional Performance Systems)

“One of the oldest tests for hypothyroidism was the Achilles tendon reflex test in which the rate of relaxation of the calf muscle corresponds to thyroid function–the relaxation is slow in hypothyroid people. Water, sodium, and calcium are more slowly expelled by the hypothyroid muscle. Exactly the same slow relaxation occurs in the hypothyroid heart muscle, contributing to heart failure, because the semi-contracted heart can’t receive as much blood as the normally relaxed heart. The hypothyroid blood vessels are unable to relax properly, contributing to hypertension. Hypothyroid nerves don’t easily return to their energized relaxed state, leading to insomnia, parasthesias, movement disorders, and nerves that are swollen and very susceptible to pressure damage.”

“The thyroid hormone keeps the cellular energy high, the adrenaline low, and reflexes strong. It undoubtedly has an important effect on both perception and responses. In the high energy, expansive state, with tresholds raised, strong stimulus could evoke a strong response. Things are bigger, possibilities are greater.”

“Checking the relaxation rate of the Achilles reflex is a quick way to check the effect of the thyroid on your nerves and muscles; the relaxation should be instantaneous, loose and floppy.”

“There are several convenient indicators of the metabolic rate–the daily temperature cycle and pulse rate (the temperature should rise after breakfast), the amount of water lost by evaporation, and the speed of relaxation of muscles (Achilles reflex relaxation).”

“Measuring the speed and relaxation of the Achilles tendon reflex twitch is a traditional method for judging thyroid function, because in hypothyroidism the relaxation is visibly delayed.”

A quick pubmed search for stuttering and thyroid only turned up two results, interesting none the less

"In phonation and partly also in intonation the vibration proper of vocal cords is accompanied by the active participation of a neuromuscular reflex. A vocal fold as an oscillator is connected with the thyroid, i.e. the resonator, by a firm mechanical bond. Increased demands upon the tightness of this bond occur during speech. Thus the defective mechanism of the radiation of energy is offered as a contribution to the explanation of the etiology of stuttering."

[Voice production is the result of a reflex process]. - PubMed - NCBI

"Fluency-enhancing speech feedback, originating from internally or externally generated sources via auditory or visual sensory modalities is not restricted to a specific sensory modality or signal origination. Research suggests that externally generated digital vibrotactile speech feedback serves as an effective fluency enhancer. The present purpose was to test the fluency-enhancing effects of self-generated digital vibrotactile speech feedback on stuttering frequency. Adults who stutter read passages aloud over the telephone, both with and without digital vibrotactile speech feedback. Digital vibrotactile speech feedback was operationally defined as feeling the vibrations of the thyroid cartilage with the thumb and index finger while speaking. Analysis indicated that self-generated digital vibrotactile speech feedback reduced overt stuttering frequency by an average of 72%. As the specific neural mechanisms associated with stuttering and fluency enhancement from tactile speech feedback remain unknown, theoretical implications and clinical applications were discussed."

Effects of digital vibrotactile speech feedback on overt stuttering frequency. - PubMed - NCBI

And then there was some research on Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) from the '50's

A Consideration Of Thiamin Supplement In Prevention Of Stuttering In Preschool Children

Should Stutterers Try Vitamin B-1?

Thank you for providing this interesting and useful information. I will try b-1 and magnesium and report back.

Constatine

Stuttering is associated with low DHT levels (or other neurosteroids). Get your hormones checked.

OP
M

Makaveli

Quick update... I started doing niacinamide 500 mg + niacin 500 mg every morning and bedtime for three days now with 3-4 drops of Tyromix every morning. I've noticed significant improvement in my speech including much less stutter/stammer and I can talk much faster.

DaveFoster

I'll repeat the same sentence twice. Sometimes I'll repeat the same thing more than once.

Constatine

I'll repeat the same sentence twice. Sometimes I'll repeat the same thing more than once.
Lol. Lol.

Quick update... I started doing niacinamide 500 mg + niacin 500 mg every morning and bedtime for three days now with 3-4 drops of Tyromix every morning. I've noticed significant improvement in my speech including much less stutter/stammer and I can talk much faster.
Great to hear. I've noticed that my verbal fluency correlates directly to how interested I am in a subject. It is likely a dopamine related matter or rather being very dopamine sensitive (high dopamine receptors) improves verbal fluency. Nofap and sunlight will help in this regard.

Koveras

That's great to hear.

What were you experiences with thiamin - null?

OP
M

Makaveli

That's great to hear.

What were you experiences with thiamin - null?

I actually meant to say 500 mg of Thiamine and 500 mg of niacinamide. I feel pretty focused on them. However my stutter has started to return again but it's definitely been worse than it is now.

GAF

This may sound a bit basic but what about a warm cap/hat even at night and red heat lamp shining on the head at times.

Koveras

I actually meant to say 500 mg of Thiamine and 500 mg of niacinamide. I feel pretty focused on them. However my stutter has started to return again but it's definitely been worse than it is now.

Thiamine and magnesium seem to serve a lot of important roles together and I've seen that thiamine can increase serotonin in the presence of a magnesium deficiency. Magnesium is also involved in energy production/utilization (ATP is bound to Mg) - maybe see if increasing magnesium intake helps?

Thiamine and magnesium deficiencies: keys to disease. - PubMed - NCBI

Effect of thiamine on serotonin levels in magnesium-deficient animals. - PubMed - NCBI

Regina

Thiamine and magnesium seem to serve a lot of important roles together and I've seen that thiamine can increase serotonin in the presence of a magnesium deficiency. Magnesium is also involved in energy production/utilization (ATP is bound to Mg) - maybe see if increasing magnesium intake helps?

Thiamine and magnesium deficiencies: keys to disease. - PubMed - NCBI

Effect of thiamine on serotonin levels in magnesium-deficient animals. - PubMed - NCBI
Thx for adding more on the subject.
I still suffer from awkwardness and stammering.
It's way better than it was (since Peating) but still embarrassing.

JoeKool

Surprisingly , many people who stutter lose their stutter when they whisper or sing... I would actually practice whispering to see if, in a normal conversation, it helps you through a stammer

Also, concentration tricks are also funny to play on the mind... For example, Navy Seals are taught, when captured and tortured, to rub a pebble between their thumb and index finger to concentrate on something else , other than the pain... actors pinch their upper thigh when they need to stop laughing in a scene to film it properly ... look it up... perhaps something to fiddle with while having an important conversation can trick the mind into freely speaking rather than focusing on a stammer or potential stammer, which is counter productive...

and finally, it's always possible it's nowhere near as bad as you see it ... with a word or two repeated or stammered... but that's because we tend to be our worse critics...

Regina

Surprisingly , many people who stutter lose their stutter when they whisper or sing... I would actually practice whispering to see if, in a normal conversation, it helps you through a stammer

Also, concentration tricks are also funny to play on the mind... For example, Navy Seals are taught, when captured and tortured, to rub a pebble between their thumb and index finger to concentrate on something else , other than the pain... actors pinch their upper thigh when they need to stop laughing in a scene to film it properly ... look it up... perhaps something to fiddle with while having an important conversation can trick the mind into freely speaking rather than focusing on a stammer or potential stammer, which is counter productive...

and finally, it's always possible it's nowhere near as bad as you see it ... with a word or two repeated or stammered... but that's because we tend to be our worse critics...
Thx JoeKool. You are right about being our worst critics. Once I delay and stutter, my mind already says to me "you sound like a complete idiot." :wacky:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals