Foster Your Health [Radio] Ideas - Please Add Your 2c

DaveFoster

The Foster Your Health Podcast hasn't been updated frequently, and I'm thinking of its direction, whether keeping to a podcast or opening the show to a more general radio show (with call-ins), a more active dialogue with broader range of topics, and more frequent updates potentially.

Personally, I've always wanted to do radio, but I would like to know preferences and any value that there would be for such a transition.

I can think of a few different directions:

1) Foster Your Health Podcast
2) Foster Your Health Radio
3) Both (not together)

What do you guys think? I'd love your input!

Sucrates

I remember listening to one of these and finding it excellent as it was. Didn't hear anymore since. Do you have rss feed for the podcast?

Amazoniac

Hi Davezord, in my opinion if by radio you mean something similar to the end of KMUD interviews, it takes massive knowledge to do that live. Chris Masterjohn for example is quite knowledgeable and yet he couldn't do it. And the questions weren't live, they were selected and presented to him live if I remember correctly. It's up to you if you can handle it or not. When Ray doesn't know an answer he replies with something interesting related. It's a good way to deal with it as well.
But in any case, if you don't have a person to take care of this part for you while you're planting the seeds of knowledge in our minds, the live problems will occur, even if it's all virtual; if not, it's even worse but no one knows what a phone is anymore. Without that person administering, it's going to distract you a lot and affect the quality of the episode. Keeping it simple allows you to develop on a theme better.

Last edited:

theLaw

Hey Dave,

Listened back to your first FYH podcast, and here are some suggestions moving forward:

1. Get rid of your vocal-fry by forcing more air through your diaphragm. Low energy = radio death.

2. Interview Gorgi, Danny, and anyone else from the community who will agree to come on your show (ask Ray!!!). You've been around here long enough to have a long list of interesting questions for them.

3. Share your experience with using extreme quantities of foods/sups as you've referenced in your posts (this is what they call in marketing your "unfair advantage").

4. Solo health shows are some of the most boring dribble on the air (see lectures). Danny realized this quickly, and invited Gorgi/Ray/others for future discussions after his first few episodes.

5. Finally, consider using others as a resource for content. For instance, you could ask Gorgi to interview Ray and while you handle the production (FYH presents).

Danny has really laid out a textbook way to approach podcasts that presents high-quality content in his own personal style while still being highly-accessible.

Looking forward to seeing more content from you - Cheers!:D

Amazoniac

Hi Davezord, in my opinion if by radio you mean something similar to the end of KMUD interviews, it takes massive knowledge to do that live. Chris Masterjohn for example is quite knowledgeable and yet he couldn't do it. And the questions weren't live, they were selected and presented to him live if I remember correctly. It's up to you if you can handle it or not. When Ray doesn't know an answer he replies with something interesting related. It's a good way to deal with it as well.
But in any case, if you don't have a person to take care of this part for you while you're planting the seeds of knowledge in our minds, the live problems will occur, even if it's all virtual; if not, it's even worse but no one knows what a phone is anymore. Without that person administering, it's going to distract you a lot and affect the quality of the episode. Keeping it simple allows you to develop on a theme better.
To clarify this, I'm not against discussions. It would be cool to have other interesting people to discuss subjects with you. My problem is with callers, it's a mess. You can receive questions through email before recordings and go through them live, much better. Just an opinion.

CLASH

@DaveFoster
If you could do shows where you interview Danny, Haidut and Ray and not pull an Andrew Murray where you ramble on continuously without saying anything of any substance I would listen to every single one of your podcasts. Also I wouldn't have people call in. Its often a waste of time in my opinion. Most people ask about personal situations that cant be answered over the phone. I find most questions on the end of KMUD a complete waste time and almost disrespectful to Ray (especially that lady who calls in). I have a few friends that don't participate on the forum but listen to Ray's interviews and I think they would appreciate this is as well. I really want to hear what Ray has to say. I also really want to hear what Danny, Haidut and maybe @Travis have to say, in conjunction with your experiences. If you could provide a format that simply allows these people to speak thier piece freely and without inane interruptions I think your podcast would be wildly succesful or at the least I'd suscribe and listen :)

Last edited:

Amazoniac

@DaveFoster
If you could do shows where you interview Danny, Haidut and Ray and not pull an Andrew Murray where you ramble on continuously without saying anything of any substance I would listen to every single one of your podcasts. Also I wouldn't have people call in. Its often a waste of time in my opinion. Most people ask about personal situations that cant be answered over the phone. I find most questions on the end of KMUD a complete waste time and almost disrespectful to Ray (especially that lady who calls in). I have a few friends that don't participate on the forum but listen to Ray's interviews and I think they would appreciate this is as well. I really want to hear what Ray has to say. I also really want to hear what Danny, Haidut and maybe @Travis have to say, in conjunction with your experiences. If you could provide a format that simply allows these people to speak thier piece freely and without inane interruptions I think your podcast would be wildly succesful or at the least I'd suscribe and listen :)
What about Ray interviewing Dave? :ss2

Dobbler

Similiar podcasts that Haidut and Danny Roddy made to youtube, those are inspiring, also youtube player and timestamps are nice. You can just talk by yourself, or with someone else.

L

lollipop

2. Interview Gorgi, Danny, and anyone else from the community who will agree to come on your show (ask Ray!!!). You've been around here long enough to have a long list of interesting questions for them.
YES!! Great @theLaw ❤️

meatbag

I see what you did there, but how about Ray interviews Gilbert Ling while Danny roddy laughs in the background whenever anyone says 'Ketogenic', 'PUFA', or 'Vegetables' , and of course dave can just introduce, read off their accolades(which logically will take 1/3 of the show), and give us a discount code for all the RPF mechants. Then halfway through the old lady from philippsville calls in and tells them all what her doctor said, but just as Peat can answer (you just hear an excited "Ooooh" ) the Herbs doctor music kicks in accidentally to signal the intermission. Of course the show will traditionally end with Peat reciting the entire Mammalia phylum; "muskrats, squirrels, gophers, beavers, rabbits,prairie dogs....",sounds like a winner to me. I might just make my own show based on this actually, sorry Dave. Hopefully you don't take my idea "Fostering your Generative Herbs". Okay i'll take off my amazoniac costume now, Halloween is over

Rafe

Flamingoes. You forgot the flamingoes.

I like the way John Barkhausen interviews Peat. He's a good interviewer b/c he apparently does the homework to have a real conversation with Ray Peat. It doesn't have to be mastery of physical biology. But Barkhausen sounds like he's just engaging as if it were a private conversation. The mic isn't a player for him like it is for Andrew Murray.

Good luck, @DaveFoster. The suggestion for a partner &/or tech sound really good.

If I'm not mistaken, the Generative Energy podcasts are pretty edited I assume for smoothness & clarity.

L

lollipop

I like the way John Barkhausen interviews Peat. He's a good interviewer b/c he apparently does the homework to have a real conversation with Ray Peat. It doesn't have to be mastery of physical biology. But Barkhausen sounds like he's just engaging as if it were a private conversation. The mic isn't a player for him like it is for Andrew Murray.
+1 great observation.

meatbag

Good luck, @DaveFoster. The suggestion for a partner &/or tech sound really good.

If I'm not mistaken, the Generative Energy podcasts are pretty edited I assume for smoothness & clarity.

Yeah I think you nailed it, the politics and science series and Danny's first interview with Ray are the best. Really like Barkhausen's approach and Danny does a really good job with the editing, sound and presentation in all his podcasts that make them great to listen to. It would be interesting to hear Ray interviewed alongside another guest like Ling tho, not sure if it is actually a possibility.

Rafe

Have to add: I like knowing the difference between what Ray Peat really sounds like as a person & the edited version.

J

jb116

Dave hit me up if you are looking to hire audio service. Currently I've been doing masterjohns audio.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

@Sucrates Try this RSS Feed for FYH: https://archive.org/advancedsearch.php?q=title:(FYH)+AND+creator:(Dave+Foster)&fl[]=title&sort[]=&sort[]=&sort[]=&rows=50&page=1&callback=callback&save=yes&output=rss

I agree; it would be very difficult. I placed an order for more professional audio equipment. Next step would be refining my audio and marketing my show for iTunes and other podcast hosting services: exposure and audio quality, and I'm trying to maintain succinctness, as I want the message to be clear and applicable.

there's your answer
Point taken.

Hey Dave,

Listened back to your first FYH podcast, and here are some suggestions moving forward:

1. Get rid of your vocal-fry by forcing more air through your diaphragm. Low energy = radio death.

3. Share your experience with using extreme quantities of foods/sups as you've referenced in your posts (this is what they call in marketing your "unfair advantage").

4. Solo health shows are some of the most boring dribble on the air (see lectures). Danny realized this quickly, and invited Gorgi/Ray/others for future discussions after his first few episodes.

5. Finally, consider using others as a resource for content. For instance, you could ask Gorgi to interview Ray and while you handle the production (FYH presents).

Danny has really laid out a textbook way to approach podcasts that presents high-quality content in his own personal style while still being highly-accessible.

Looking forward to seeing more content from you - Cheers!:D
Great input! I think hosting an interview would be stellar. I need to be more active on this and less on my blog. I'm not sure I'm at the "Ray Peat interview status" quite yet, but maybe after a few more episodes.

To clarify this, I'm not against discussions. It would be cool to have other interesting people to discuss subjects with you. My problem is with callers, it's a mess. You can receive questions through email before recordings and go through them live, much better. Just an opinion.
Great idea! With the Q&A section I'm adding to my blog, this would be great.

Think of this: Me going through Q&A's with intermittent callers. If no callers, then I'd go back to the Q&A, and then maybe have interviews at certain points along the show. Also, I could have some articles lined up that I'd want to talk about on Pubmed, and I could briefly touch on these and incorporate them! Let me know what you think! Would the Pubmed be bland you think?

@DaveFoster
Absolutely! Interviews seem to be a persistent theme, so I'm fine with making this a social experience! I think it's better that way than me autistically plugging away at Pubmed and audio editing.

And we all know about the lady.

Ray would undoubtedly know every answer before he asked the question.

Similiar podcasts that Haidut and Danny Roddy made to youtube, those are inspiring, also youtube player and timestamps are nice. You can just talk by yourself, or with someone else.
I will incorporate timestamps; that's definitely important!

I agree, great suggestions!

I see what you did there, but how about Ray interviews Gilbert Ling while Danny roddy laughs in the background whenever anyone says 'Ketogenic', 'PUFA', or 'Vegetables' , and of course dave can just introduce, read off their accolades(which logically will take 1/3 of the show), and give us a discount code for all the RPF mechants. Then halfway through the old lady from philippsville calls in and tells them all what her doctor said, but just as Peat can answer (you just hear an excited "Ooooh" ) the Herbs doctor music kicks in accidentally to signal the intermission. Of course the show will traditionally end with Peat reciting the entire Mammalia phylum; "muskrats, squirrels, gophers, beavers, rabbits,prairie dogs....",sounds like a winner to me. I might just make my own show based on this actually, sorry Dave. Hopefully you don't take my idea "Fostering your Generative Herbs". Okay i'll take off my amazoniac costume now, Halloween is over
Perfect, think of the production quality! :D

I agree; the Barkhausen (and Rain Making Time) interviews are the best.

Yeah I think you nailed it, the politics and science series and Danny's first interview with Ray are the best. Really like Barkhausen's approach and Danny does a really good job with the editing, sound and presentation in all his podcasts that make them great to listen to. It would be interesting to hear Ray interviewed alongside another guest like Ling tho, not sure if it is actually a possibility.
I will see where I am editing wise, and maybe hire an editor if thing's don't pan out as far as production quality.

Have to add: I like knowing the difference between what Ray Peat really sounds like as a person & the edited version.
He's a couple octaves below Darth Vader. His DHT is probably equivalent to a 20-year-old athlete.

If I ever do expand this to a radio show, I'd like to have a studio and maybe do a video + audio live. Otherwise I may produce video content.

Dave hit me up if you are looking to hire audio service. Currently I've been doing masterjohns audio.
Will do! I need to see how things go with the new audio equipment, and then I'll give you a shout. I PM'ed you.

Amazoniac

Let me know what you think!
You don't need our validation, just do what you feel like doing in the best way you can, and people will eventually join your cult and allow to be pastored. Our interests at some point will get in the way of yours. The requests will appear without having to ask for them, so you can adjust those in a way that meets your interests. Otherwise..
il_570xN.666459139_5fmb.jpg
By the way, I'll probably be part of the flock.

L

lollipop

You don't need our validation, just do what you feel like doing in the best way you can, and people will eventually join your cult and allow to be pastored. Our interests at some point will get in the way of yours. The requests will appear without having to ask for them, so you can adjust those in a way that meets your interests. Otherwise..
Hehe...you are tooooo funny @Amazoniac. That said, wise instructions you have here. At some point, a person simply follows their own passion so it is interesting to them.

“Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”
-Dr. Seuss

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

I never considered cult leader as a future career, but now that you mention it...

I've thought of an action plan. I'm going to use the radio as a more regular way to convey information, and then take ideas/requests from the radio and devote those to the FYH Podcast for a more polished finished product.
Hehe...you are tooooo funny @Amazoniac. That said, wise instructions you have here. At some point, a person simply follows their own passion so it is interesting to them.

“Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”
-Dr. Seuss
Great quote! Here's something similar that came to mind:
“Always be ready to speak your mind and a base man will avoid you.” - William Blake

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals