Female Corner

Lollipop2

Thank you very much for the heads up, Lisa! :) We’ll stick with Progest-E then since it’s working and we’re taking it vaginally now anyway so its viscosity doesn’t matter. I had her start high dosing Progest-E (she’s going through more than a bottle a week) and up her thyroid dose by a grain the same day we found out about her cancer diagnosis. She was hemorrhaging so bad she spent the night on the toilet, but the bleeding stopped within a day of high dosing the Progest-E and upping her NDT, thankfully. She’s consuming the carrot salad daily, milk, cheese, mild yogurt, eggs, fruit, potatoes, gelatin, seafood, beef, coffee, coconut and butter for fats, and occasional sourdough toast because she enjoys it and I think it’s important she enjoys her diet.

It has only been about a week since the dietary and supplement changes and so far, along with the bleeding ceasing, the chronic edema she had in her legs is gone (she spent the first couple of days with frequent urination), her blood pressure went from averaging in the high 180s/100s for decades to now averaging in the 130s/80s, she’s sleeping 5 hours straight through the night — prior to this, she went decades averaging no more than 2 hours of sleep and needing to pee as much as 3x per night — and she has much less body pain — she had a chronic knee pain that completely disappeared within a day. She had already reintroduced dairy and cut out most fiber a month prior and her chronic diarrhea and migraines disappeared.
WoW! These are simply stellar results @Jennifer! Fantastic. I like your Mom’s diet and love that she is having sourdough bread! Yummmy. Joy matters and I myself make my own bread using Einkorn flour maybe a few times a month. Yummmy...

Lollipop2

I think Dr. Peat was saying that with time liver becomes to efficient in "processing" (and excretinng) progesterone. So even in your mom's situation, I'd still cycle it or maybe just cycle (oscilate) the dose, maybe 14-day cycle (wave).
Good suggestion but in a post menopausal woman Ray has said three weeks on, one week off. That would be good for her Mom. But since she is in a cancer situation, I would personally ask Ray.

Lejeboca

Good suggestion but in a post menopausal woman Ray has said three weeks on, one week off. That would be good for her Mom. But since she is in a cancer situation, I would personally ask Ray.

Here is Dr. Peat's quote from which I got thoughts on cycling. It encompasses what MatheusPN was saying about topical application and your mentioning one week.

From ORN interview on 2020-06-15:

"PT: Dr. Ray Peat, PhD. We're gonna dig back and and get some leftovers from last month and I'm sorry we get behind because it's so fascinating talking with this man. Here is an email, Dr. Peat. They want to know about the time off Progest-e as in a natural cycle when ingested or rubbed on the gums and he he said which he did answer. "but I did want to know if time off is also necessary if it is used only by rubbing into skin and also if that would be the same for males."

RP: Oh it's when you're using big doses that you feel systemically that's where the that the liver becomes more and more active at excreting it when you're getting these big doses on the level of normal menstrual cycle and after two weeks of using it your liver is throwing it off quickly so it would only keep rising if you became pregnant and that means that if you are not pregnant and have to keep dosing it. That the dose would have to increase in proportions of the livers activity so to make it more efficient laying off for a week or two let your liver reset so that you're not excreting it so fast but if you're just using it for a topical effect for, like a sprain or a burn or something your local effect, is not going to be harmed."

Lollipop2

Here is Dr. Peat's quote from which I got thoughts on cycling. It encompasses what MatheusPN was saying about topical application and your mentioning one week.

From ORN interview on 2020-06-15:

"PT: Dr. Ray Peat, PhD. We're gonna dig back and and get some leftovers from last month and I'm sorry we get behind because it's so fascinating talking with this man. Here is an email, Dr. Peat. They want to know about the time off Progest-e as in a natural cycle when ingested or rubbed on the gums and he he said which he did answer. "but I did want to know if time off is also necessary if it is used only by rubbing into skin and also if that would be the same for males."

RP: Oh it's when you're using big doses that you feel systemically that's where the that the liver becomes more and more active at excreting it when you're getting these big doses on the level of normal menstrual cycle and after two weeks of using it your liver is throwing it off quickly so it would only keep rising if you became pregnant and that means that if you are not pregnant and have to keep dosing it. That the dose would have to increase in proportions of the livers activity so to make it more efficient laying off for a week or two let your liver reset so that you're not excreting it so fast but if you're just using it for a topical effect for, like a sprain or a burn or something your local effect, is not going to be harmed."
Yep. I have heard him say this many times. When post menopausal women have asked him if they should follow two weeks on/two weeks off, he suggested three weeks on/one week off. Some were not cycling it and he explained the same thing about the liver.

My big apologies! I do not have the exact quote or reference. If it really matters, I am sure you can google it and find his quote.

Jennifer

Thank you, @Blossom! :)

Thank you for the advice, @Lollipop2, @MatheusPN and @Lejeboca. I had her dosing based on symptoms (mainly bleeding) and what Ray said in his Progesterone Summaries article:

DOSAGE OF PROGESTERONE
Since progesterone has none of the harmful side effects of other hormones (except for alteration of the menstrual cycle if it is taken at the wrong time of month), the basic procedure should be to use it in sufficient quantity to make the symptoms disappear, and to time its use so that menstrual cycles are not disrupted. This normally means using it only between ovulation and menstruation unless symptoms are sufficiently serious that a missed period is not important. The basic idea of giving enough to stop the symptoms can be refined by some information on a few of the factors that condition the need for progesterone.

Progesterone Summaries - Progesterone Deceptions - Progesterone Supplementation - Dosage of Progesterone

Hopefully, she can reduce her dose in two weeks because she currently can’t drop it (or her thyroid dose) or else she bleeds, and she can’t increase her thyroid dose because she’s already taking more than prescribed and will run out before they remove her uterus at the end of August. We’d have to order Cynoplus from Mexico because the doctor won’t prescribe her more and even reduced her dose because her TSH is suppressed. As it is, she wanted my mum off NDT and on levothyroxine because she said ''NDT has too many different T4s.'' The only thing I can think of that she meant by too many T4s is how it contains T4, T3, T2 and T1.

schultz

Hey @Jennifer, do your research about Health Natura progesterone. Read through old progesterone threads. Several people had problems with it and did not get good results. Seems to be hit or miss. Then again, same with Progest-e - lol. I trust Ray’s formula and quality.

I think the HealthNatura one is in MCT oil in which case I think it would absorb through the portal vein and go directly to the liver whereas Ray's is absorbed with chylomicrons into the lymphatic system where it then circulates throughout the body, passing through the liver several times as the liver doesn't recognize the chylomicrons as something to excrete.

This is my understanding.

Lollipop2

I think the HealthNatura one is in MCT oil in which case I think it would absorb through the portal vein and go directly to the liver whereas Ray's is absorbed with chylomicrons into the lymphatic system where it then circulates throughout the body, passing through the liver several times as the liver doesn't recognize the chylomicrons as something to excrete.

Fascinating. Thank you for the clarification. It makes sense then why Progest-e works so well for me.

sweetpeat

The Health Natura brand is in a mixture of MCT and tocopherols. Would it then be absorbed about the same as Progest E?
Also, would using it vaginally/topically make a difference, or are you describing oral absorption?

schultz

The Health Natura brand is in a mixture of MCT and tocopherols. Would it then be absorbed about the same as Progest E?
Also, would using it vaginally/topically make a difference, or are you describing oral absorption?

I'm just talking about oral absorption, and I'm not 100% sure either. It would be a good question for Ray I think.

sweetpeat

I'm just talking about oral absorption, and I'm not 100% sure either. It would be a good question for Ray I think.
Ok, thanks. I thought you meant orally, but just making sure. I use the Health Natura brand vaginally and find it very effective. Seems to have a good absorption rate by that method, at least for me.

akgrrrl

HOLY CRAP I been checking the ladies thread occasionally with interest but had no girly complaints...now I just want to take a shower. Yuck. Good grief. @Peatness you have the most far ranging expertise for finding stuff yeow!

Jennifer

I have a couple questions regarding Progest-E that I’m hoping someone can answer.

I started supplementing with Progest-E recently because it’s the most effective thing I have found, aside from a completely unsustainable all milk diet, for eliminating chronic pain from my back injury. Aside from some initial anger that I’ve channeled through hiking, and anxiety that vanished when I increased my fat intake, I’ve been emotionally numb since my mum’s passing in January, but within the first two days of starting Progest-E, I was able to feel again, however, this includes heightened sexual arousal and I’m wondering if this is normal? I’ve been dosing just enough to reduce pain (4 drops on days 14–28 of my cycle) and within 20 minutes of taking it, I feel warmth in my vaginal region and I’m easily aroused the remainder of the day. I experienced the same thing when using Progest-E in the past, but my mum never did so I’m wondering if it’s normal for someone who is still of childbearing age and I’m just not used to it? Also, since I feel so much better physically and emotionally while taking it, does anyone know if Ray has said it is safe to use Progest-E for 3 weeks each month instead of the recommended 2?

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I have a couple questions regarding Progest-E that I’m hoping someone can answer.

I started supplementing with Progest-E recently because it’s the most effective thing I have found, aside from a completely unsustainable all milk diet, for eliminating chronic pain from my back injury. Aside from some initial anger that I’ve channeled through hiking, and anxiety that vanished when I increased my fat intake, I’ve been emotionally numb since my mum’s passing in January, but within the first two days of starting Progest-E, I was able to feel again, however, this includes heightened sexual arousal and I’m wondering if this is normal? I’ve been dosing just enough to reduce pain (4 drops on days 14–28 of my cycle) and within 20 minutes of taking it, I feel warmth in my vaginal region and I’m easily aroused the remainder of the day. I experienced the same thing when using Progest-E in the past, but my mum never did so I’m wondering if it’s normal for someone who is still of childbearing age and I’m just not used to it? Also, since I feel so much better physically and emotionally while taking it, does anyone know if Ray has said it is safe to use Progest-E for 3 weeks each month instead of the recommended 2?
I took it uninterrupted for close to a year early on but I don’t know if that was necessarily the right thing to do. Perhaps one of us should email him?
It’s interesting that you’re having the increased libido. I never had that from progest-e but I was in my mid 40’s when I started it. My speculation is that it’s possibly your age and your biological clock ticking but I’m interested in what others have to say.
Regardless of the inconvenience of your increased libido I’m glad your feeling again!

Jennifer

Thank you, @Blossom. :) I appreciate your response. I didn’t want to bother Ray, since I’ve read he’s been dealing with some health issues so I hoping someone here knows but if not, I’ll try contacting him. Thanks again!

@Advocate2021, you’ve mentioned estrogen poisoning and if I’m not mistaken, that you’ve been in contact with Ray since the 90s? Would you happen to know if it’s safe for a woman of childbearing age to supplement with Progest-E for 3 weeks instead of 2? He recommended Progest-E in one of our email exchanges years ago, but we never discussed dosing.

teds

Forum Supporter
I took it uninterrupted for close to a year early on but I don’t know if that was necessarily the right thing to do. Perhaps one of us should email him?
It’s interesting that you’re having the increased libido. I never had that from progest-e but I was in my mid 40’s when I started it. My speculation is that it’s possibly your age and your biological clock ticking but I’m interested in what others have to say.
Regardless of the inconvenience of your increased libido I’m glad your feeling again!
I did this for a while- maybe 6 months and stopped when my cycle started to reliably shorten..
I've had marked increased libido from it too on occasion- but it wasn't disturbing or disruptive.. if it's to that level perhaps it's an oestrogen response??

Lollipop2

Thank you, @Blossom. :) I appreciate your response. I didn’t want to bother Ray, since I’ve read he’s been dealing with some health issues so I hoping someone here knows but if not, I’ll try contacting him. Thanks again!

@Advocate2021, you’ve mentioned estrogen poisoning and if I’m not mistaken, that you’ve been in contact with Ray since the 90s? Would you happen to know if it’s safe for a woman of childbearing age to supplement with Progest-E for 3 weeks instead of 2? He recommended Progest-E in one of our email exchanges years ago, but we never discussed dosing.
@Jennifer I have heard him on an interview tell a post menopausal woman that was okay. For those still having their cycle - probably not the best long term. If you are having a rough patch and took it for a few months like this, I do not imagine it would have deleterious effects. Long term not a good idea if your age still has you in the menstruation cycle. Also, I think progest - e is healing and it sounds like it is bringing back life to your body. That is a normal experience for a healthy body. One thing you can do is mentally help move that energy to your heart and it causes the most amazing loving experience…

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals