Female Corner

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Inspired by the Travis Corner thread title I thought I'd start a Female Corner thread.

I've been thinking it would be nice to have a designated space for women to ask questions of other women and share experiences. I personally have no problem whatsoever with males chiming in when they have valuable information to share that they have learned from the women in their life, knowledge from working with women on health issues or things of scientific value.

Let's face it- most of us probably don't know a lot of other women IRL who are familiar with Peat's work that we could turn to for advice, input or opinions.

At present we seem to have a more active male presence on the forum which is fine and great but I would still like to have our women members feel there is a space where they feel comfortable posting about uniquely female topics. I hate the thought of someone not asking a question for fear of ridicule and I know it's happened.

Ladies, let me know what you think? If there doesn't seem to be a need I can always delete the thread.

Kehaar

I have been a big (tho silent) fan of the ladies of RPF for years and love this idea :). I can start with a peaty mishap I had last summer as a cautionary tale. I was on vacation at the beach using extremely large doses of solban and I was also taking Vit E topically once a day. When my period arrived I cannot even describe how I bled. It was a crazy crazy disaster of epic blood bath proportions and I had no Vit K on hand. I will spare you further description, but it was truly shocking. I had forgotten that Solban has aspirin and I guess my blood just got too thin between the aspirin and E.

I thought I had seen it written in these pages that aspirin can paradoxically reduce bleeding? Not sure, but that was not my experience.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I have been a big (tho silent) fan of the ladies of RPF for years and love this idea :). I can start with a peaty mishap I had last summer as a cautionary tale. I was on vacation at the beach using extremely large doses of solban and I was also taking Vit E topically once a day. When my period arrived I cannot even describe how I bled. It was a crazy crazy disaster of epic blood bath proportions and I had no Vit K on hand. I will spare you further description, but it was truly shocking. I had forgotten that Solban has aspirin and I guess my blood just got too thin between the aspirin and E.

I thought I had seen it written in these pages that aspirin can paradoxically reduce bleeding? Not sure, but that was not my experience.
I'm glad you like the idea! That's a great cautionary tale. A good reminder to take all our Peaty necessities on vacation.

L

lollipop

@Blossom, THANK YOU :): I also have noticed a stronger male presence and love the idea of a place to share for women.

L

lollipop

My first observation that hopefully helps someone else: Aspirin has been probably the fastest “chill pill” I have used. Now, full transparency, I do not use any medications stronger than Aspirin, NDT, and Progest-e.

When that internal “urrrgh” is strong, Aspirin works within 20 min. I use it with milk - 6 oz and never have had stomach issues. Between years 1 and 2.5 of Peat inspired lifestyle, I needed Aspirin several times a week. Now maybe once every few weeks. I use it at night to help sleep.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
My first observation that hopefully helps someone else: Aspirin has been probably the fastest “chill pill” I have used. Now, full transparency, I do not use any medications stronger than Aspirin, NDT, and Progest-e.

When that internal “urrrgh” is strong, Aspirin works within 20 min. I use it with milk - 6 oz and never have had stomach issues. Between years 1 and 2.5 of Peat inspired lifestyle, I needed Aspirin several times a week. Now maybe once every few weeks. I use it at night to help sleep.
I love it too! I couldn't imagine living without it.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
This is my first post and I want to thank everyone for this great collection of facts, figures and personal anecdotes.

Constipation has been a problem as long as I can remember. Since February 2016 I have been drinking approximately 6 cups of lactaid milk, 4 cups of OJ, and 20 g of gelatin daily . I think they are the main reason I actually have peristalsis and much better gut health.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter

Also it seems like a great sign that you don't need as much lately!

Jennifer

Excellent idea! My female friends I met on here and I had talked about starting a thread specifically for the ladies for the reasons you mentioned, but we weren't sure there would be many takers. I was debating leaving the forum for good because of the hostile vibe I've been feeling here lately with regards to the genders, but I like being able to spend some time with people who are into healthy living, too. Not too many around me who care about such things so I'm really happy you started this thread, Blossom. :)

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Excellent idea! My female friends I met on here and I had talked about starting a thread specifically for the ladies for the reasons you mentioned, but we weren't sure there would be many takers. I was debating leaving the forum for good because of the hostile vibe I've been feeling here lately with regards to the genders, but I like being able to spend some time with people who are into healthy living, too. Not too many around me who care about such things so I'm really happy you started this thread, Blossom. :)
Oh I'm so glad you're sticking around!
ETA: I've thought about it several times over the years so I'm glad I finally did it! I think you and I might have even talked about it once a couple years ago.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
This is my first post and I want to thank everyone for this great collection of facts, figures and personal anecdotes.

Constipation has been a problem as long as I can remember. Since February 2016 I have been drinking approximately 6 cups of lactaid milk, 4 cups of OJ, and 20 g of gelatin daily . I think they are the main reason I actually have peristalsis and much better gut health.
Glad to meet you @Dolomite! I'm glad your peristalsis is improving. Mine has slowly improved over the years of Peating too. My mom still has chronic constipation so I probably would have dealt with it my whole life if I hadn't discovered Peat's work.

L

lollipop

Hey @Jennifer, soooooo glad you did not leave ❤️❤️ Woot! Many of us on here appreciate your voice.

@Dolomite Welcome! Gut issues have also been a long term struggle for me as well. The last few years I seem to be finally reaching on top of it. Sometimes it goes up and down though. Funny you mention the fluids, I noticed recently when I felt bloating, I chose to only have milk and herb tea the rest of the day and felt awesome the next day :):

Jennifer

Thanks Blossom and Lisa! ❤️

@Blossom – That's right! We did talk about it. Well, I'm really happy you started this thread. So does this mean we can talk about anything, even less urgent matters like girly products – skincare? :D I may be into a more natural lifestyle, but I like taking care of my skin and smelling pretty, too! lol

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks Blossom and Lisa! ❤️

@Blossom – That's right! We did talk about it. Well, I'm really happy you started this thread. So does this mean we can talk about anything, even less urgent matters like girly products – skincare? :D I may be into a more natural lifestyle, but I like taking care of my skin and smelling pretty, too! lol
Definitely!

L

lollipop

Hi @Jennifer I LOVE skin care discussions. Here are some interesting things working for me now:

@visviva serum is working great as one of my layers for the face. Here are my layers I do in the morning:

1) On a clean skin I spray 3 pumps of Solban
2) With skin moist, I spread 5 drops DeFibron on my face.
3) Next I put 2 drops estroban and 5 drops @visviva serum
4) Next I use a layer of beef tallow from Vintage Traditions. This stuff lasts FOREVER. Price is well worth it.

Honestly my face feels yummmy all day.

For Skin:

*I have been using Tropical Traditions cream and also their body lotion. I like it good quality Ray Peat friendly. Only thing is it is small quantity for the price. And it uses up quickly.

*So I decided to try making my own body butter after all the discussions about stearic acid and SFA on skin. Here was my first attempt:

Stearic Acid Increases Mitochondrial Function, May Treat Parkinson Disease (PD)

I clarified what I would do differently a few posts down. Interesting experiment. Definitely on to something...

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hi @Jennifer I LOVE skin care discussions. Here are some interesting things working for me now:

@visviva serum is working great as one of my layers for the face. Here are my layers I do in the morning:

4) Next I use a layer of beef tallow from Vintage Traditions. This stuff lasts FOREVER. Price is well worth it.

For Skin:

*I have been using Tropical Traditions cream and also their body lotion. I like it good quality Ray Peat friendly. Only thing is it is small quantity for the price. And it uses up quickly.

*So I decided to try making my own body butter after all the discussions about stearic acid and SFA on skin. Here was my first attempt:

I clarified what I would do differently a few posts down. Interesting experiment. Definitely on to something...
Thanks for the ideas! I used Vintage Traditions tallow years ago. I might try it again. I've been misting my skin with a homemade urea/niacinamide spritz lately that's nice. I find using baking soda paste once a week for exfoliating helpful. Sometimes I apply cocoa butter and vitamin E before bed when my skin feels overly dry.

Jennifer

For Skin:

Oh, yay! Great! Thank you so much for sharing, Lisa!

I used shea butter for a little while back in high school. Do you find that when mixed with the other butters it absorbs well? I stopped using it because I found it took a long time for it to absorb into my skin, but I definitely want to try your recipe!

I only use rose water and some virgin coconut oil on my face but at night, I rub on some of this balm I make with chamomile, rose and vanilla oils in a base of coconut oil or cocoa butter. I find it to be very calming – chamomile contains the compound apigenin. It has helped reduce the anxiety attacks I've struggled with my whole life upon waking.

I think even better is if you have a partner who is willing to massage you, and you them. I can see it making a good massage balm for babies, as well. I'm not sure how true this is but I've read where some aromatherapists believe vanilla's calming effect is because it's the closest in scent and flavor to mothers' milk.

I bet some vanilla oil mixed with the lemon would make for a pretty scrumptious smelling butter! Sort of like lemon meringue pie! Might not want to go for a walk outside with it on as the drool worthy "proprietary blend" may attract some unwanted friends. lol

Question – does anyone have any thoughts on squalane (from olives)? Of all the moisturizers I've tried, I like it the best, especially for the face, since it's extremely lightweight and sinks in quickly but after reading Ray's work, I've questioned how safe it is to use. It's supposed to be like what we naturally produce but...

*Edit – I just looked at the VIS VIVA line and noticed it includes squalane so it must be fine to use if you're using the products, Lisa. :) I'm pretty excited about this because the only other option I could think of was fractionated coconut oil and it reacts poorly with my body chemistry or something because it leaves my skin smelling really musty. I questioned if it was similar to what Ray mentioned experiencing when eating coconut oil – a goaty smell?

L

lollipop

Oh, yay! Great! Thank you so much for sharing, Lisa!

I used shea butter for a little while back in high school. Do you find that when mixed with the other butters it absorbs well? I stopped using it because I found it took a long time for it to absorb into my skin, but I definitely want to try your recipe!

I only use rose water and some virgin coconut oil on my face but at night, I rub on some of this balm I make with chamomile, rose and vanilla oils in a base of coconut oil or cocoa butter. I find it to be very calming – chamomile contains the compound apigenin. It has helped reduce the anxiety attacks I've struggled with my whole life upon waking.

I think even better is if you have a partner who is willing to massage you, and you them. I can see it making a good massage balm for babies, as well. I'm not sure how true this is but I've read where some aromatherapists believe vanilla's calming effect is because it's the closest in scent and flavor to mothers' milk.

I bet some vanilla oil mixed with the lemon would make for a pretty scrumptious smelling butter! Sort of like lemon meringue pie! Might not want to go for a walk outside with it on as the drool worthy "proprietary blend" may attract some unwanted friends. lol

Question – does anyone have any thoughts on squalane (from olives)? Of all the moisturizers I've tried, I like it the best, especially for the face, since it's extremely lightweight and sinks in quickly but after reading Ray's work, I've questioned how safe it is to use. It's supposed to be like what we naturally produce but...

*Edit – I just looked at the VIS VIVA line and noticed it includes squalane so it must be fine to use if you're using the products, Lisa. :) I'm pretty excited about this because the only other option I could think of was fractionated coconut oil and it reacts poorly with my body chemistry or something because it leaves my skin smelling really musty. I questioned if it was similar to what Ray mentioned experiencing when eating coconut oil – a goaty smell?
Hi @Jennifer, I am still tweaking a bit. After I made this, the next day it was HARD. So Tonight, I remelted it, added in 100gm more Shea butter and 100gm refined, expeller pressed coconut oil. I will let you know how it turns out. It was WAY smoother when whisking it and I could pour it into the jars before fully hardening. Let’s see :):

If it doesn’t work, I will remelt and explore again. It is a bit of a science experiment at the moment - lolz...this one you can tell is smoother not as chalky...

Here is the newest batch in the jar:

image.jpg

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I melted some cocoa butter to use for body moisturizer and like @lisaferraro I found it to be warming and pleasant. But after two days of use I experienced some adrenalin and stress. So now I just warm a small amount in my hand and use it only on one body area each day. This seems to be a better amount for me.

That mixture of butters sounds good and even if hard it should warm in my hand more easily.

I have used a commercial hand creme with stearic acid and I it has lightened some spots on my skin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals