Exercise Completely Destroys Me

Drareg

@Drareg get you. What do you mean pushing the time between protein intakes? like eating more frequent then every 3 hours? why not eat say 40g each meal and have 3-4 meals?

How do you know you get ammonia symptoms? like what are the symptoms?

From what I get from the forum we are not processing more than 30g of protein efficiently, a study was posted a few weeks ago that implies people under 30 years of age should consume under 30g of protein each sitting,they are not processing more effectively, older people can.
Too much protein in one sitting can increase prolactin according to Ray Peat.

High Ammonia symptoms manifest in me as brain fogginess , if I'm foggy brained I know quick by the work environment I'm in. Others report muscles soreness/fatigue.

superhuman

@Drareg get you. Well another study that was just published showed that 40g protein was better then 20g after weight training for example.

Also protein is absorbed slowly.

Ray told me in an email that 2 good meals a day is good if your in good health, so that means 40-75g protein in one meal. As long as you balance it out with enough sugar it should not be a problem.

Drareg

@Drareg get you. Well another study that was just published showed that 40g protein was better then 20g after weight training for example.

Also protein is absorbed slowly.

Ray told me in an email that 2 good meals a day is good if your in good health, so that means 40-75g protein in one meal. As long as you balance it out with enough sugar it should not be a problem.

I would like to try above 200g per day, when work quites down I may explore this.
Under stress though regular feeding is better he might say,stopping stress response or potential stress response every 2-3 hours.

superhuman

@Drareg true, but sugar is best at stopping the stress responds in terms of frequent feedings.

Ray told me 150g protein was enough for athletes. But yeah maybe one needs more in the beginning if one has worse health.

dookie

I can understand this. Would you get the same effects from a weights based exercise session?

Weight training also seems stressful for me, although it probably is a bit healthier than cardio as some people have already mentioned

Elephanto

You have to exercise until a point where you won't feel stressed/damaged afterwards and build up tolerance more every day so that you can exercise longer (though it should never be too long). I find it very healthy to make my heart and lungs work every day at a comfortable intensity. I feel like it sets my body in the way it's supposed to be, moving. Being immobile for too long is a form of stress, being weak muscularly weakens resistance to stress. You build up muscles while running, cycling, climbing or swimming. Just do it in a comfortable way, always. Even if that means only 6 minutes of exercise at first, you'll build up tolerance over time. Taking some carbonated water or baking soda before/during exercise as well as sugar/juice is very supportive.

Drareg

@Drareg true, but sugar is best at stopping the stress responds in terms of frequent feedings.

Ray told me 150g protein was enough for athletes. But yeah maybe one needs more in the beginning if one has worse health.

I always have sugar with protein either way.

amethyst

@jayUK9779

The sicker you are, the more important it is to avoid even mild exercise. Even long walks can be stressful.

If I jog lightly, even for say 15 minutes, I get insomnia, edema, euphoria (cortisol effects), agitation...
I know what you mean. My immunity was the lowest from jogging too much. I understand about that temperature drop. The body knows when it's under stress. So what does Peat consider a "long walk" if he's even commented on that? 2 miles? 3 miles? 4+ miles? I'm talking about not breathing out of the mouth type of walking, but also not a leisurely stroll. Something that get's the heart rate up a little bit-or is that not good either? Does the heart rate being up signify the body being under stress?

Constatine

First off you need to be healthy before working out (ray peat stuff of course). Secondly you should really only do exercises that make you feel good after working out. You feel the way you do for a reason, listen to your body. For me lifting heavy weights for only around 20 minutes every 2 days feels pretty great. Also a short sprint session does wonders. Take it easy at first and work your way up slowly. Your body needs to adapt before you can work out like a bodybuilder. You should never really jog or do cardio, the benefits are non existent and it's really just a cultural fad. When would our ancestors move at a steady pace for an extended period of time and not rest when they got tired? It's just not a natural workout.

Lightbringer

I know what you mean. My immunity was the lowest from jogging too much. I understand about that temperature drop. The body knows when it's under stress. So what does Peat consider a "long walk" if he's even commented on that? 2 miles? 3 miles? 4+ miles? I'm talking about not breathing out of the mouth type of walking, but also not a leisurely stroll. Something that get's the heart rate up a little bit-or is that not good either? Does the heart rate being up signify the body being under stress?
I think the Peat quote related to walking was in context with giving the mind something new ..

“While jogging became popular for preventing heart disease, we were frequently told by experts how many miles a person has to run to burn off a pound of fat. However, in Russia, physiologists always remember to include the brain in their calculations, and it turns out that a walk through interesting and pleasant surroundings consumes more energy than does harder but more boring exercise. An active brain consumes a tremendous amount of fuel.”

He has mentioned using a dumbbell and squats to tone up muscles while keeping in mind not to overdo it (~30 sec under load if i recollect)

amethyst

I think the Peat quote related to walking was in context with giving the mind something new ..

He has mentioned using a dumbbell and squats to tone up muscles while keeping in mind not to overdo it (~30 sec under load if i recollect)
“While jogging became popular for preventing heart disease, we were frequently told by experts how many miles a person has to run to burn off a pound of fat. However, in Russia, physiologists always remember to include the brain in their calculations, and it turns out that a walk through interesting and pleasant surroundings consumes more energy than does harder but more boring exercise. An active brain consumes a tremendous amount of fuel.”

A very valid point he has made about the active brain consuming a tremendous amount of fuel.

Quality

1. Start of with a pace that feels right
2. If you feel you are going too fast or start breathing too fast, slow down by alot
3. Consider supplements that specifically boost endurance and mitochondria
4. 2 times a week to start of, NO MORE
5. Do relaxation excersizes or something that makes you feel good after your jog, ie. watching your fishtank, deep breathing, watch a comedy clip

dookie

I would never 'exercise' just with the purpose of exercising. You need a real purpose in your life. Moving furniture because you are moving to another state is such an example of doing "exercise with a purpose". Just running outside, or worse, in a gym, is so purposeless, it is like the small hamsters running on a wheel in a lab experiment

800mRepeats

I would never 'exercise' just with the purpose of exercising. You need a real purpose in your life. Moving furniture because you are moving to another state is such an example of doing "exercise with a purpose". Just running outside, or worse, in a gym, is so purposeless, it is like the small hamsters running on a wheel in a lab experiment

Agree about having no desire to "exercise" for the sake of exercising.

However, "just running" is not purposeless if one enjoys running - even when it resembles hamsters running on a wheel. (BTW, hamsters often freely choose to run when a wheel is available to them.)

Stilgar

I am one of those personality types that loves endurance exercise - I have to mentally force myself not to do it, and have gone through periods of obsession with it. I'm INFP on the Myers Briggs, but I really enjoy repetitive motion. Problem is exercise feels stressful when I over do it - but what if it is a stress relief in other ways? It nudges you to cross a bardo. It really really helps my learned helplessness feelings. I feel horrible after I exercise too much, but sometimes I feel really wonderful, like I have felt my most alive during or after exercise, like a peak experience. Being in nature helps and listening to something inspiring during it seems to help make it more serotonin lowering.

I think good exercise (not breathless, interesting enough not to feel boring) is powerfully serotonin lowering. I don't think it's just masochism and wholly bad. It feels too close to euphoric if I do it right. That or I'm addicted to the exhaustion afterwards. It's a weirdly enjoyable feeling - more satisfied and complete.

That or I'm just addicted to the stress.

LadyRae

I am one of those personality types that loves endurance exercise - I have to mentally force myself not to do it, and have gone through periods of obsession with it. I'm INFP on the Myers Briggs, but I really enjoy repetitive motion. Problem is exercise feels stressful when I over do it - but what if it is a stress relief in other ways? It nudges you to cross a bardo. It really really helps my learned helplessness feelings. I feel horrible after I exercise too much, but sometimes I feel really wonderful, like I have felt my most alive during or after exercise, like a peak experience. Being in nature helps and listening to something inspiring during it seems to help make it more serotonin lowering.

I think good exercise (not breathless, interesting enough not to feel boring) is powerfully serotonin lowering. I don't think it's just masochism and wholly bad. It feels too close to euphoric if I do it right. That or I'm addicted to the exhaustion afterwards. It's a weirdly enjoyable feeling - more satisfied and complete.

That or I'm just addicted to the stress.
I totally agree with you. This is an interesting old thread. I think that it is key to be properly fueled for any exercise you do, and make sure that you take time to recover, and that will be different for everyone as well.

Stilgar

I totally agree with you. This is an interesting old thread. I think that it is key to be properly fueled for any exercise you do, and make sure that you take time to recover, and that will be different for everyone as well.

Definitely!

no , exercise does not " completely " destroy you. you just have to build up to it and that is why even the best runners all started out stretching and walking and then running when ready. if you had that much of an adrenaline response - you are just needing to work up to your heart and lungs to adapt. simple.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals