Boosting levels of Hyaluronic Acid (HA) to more youthful levels with Flavonoids

David PS

Hyaluronan/hyaluronic acid (HA) is a biologically important polysaccharide molecule found in the animal kingdom, most notably in the extracellular matrix (ECM)of connective tissues and on the surface of certain pathogenic bacteria. Although HA is found in nearly every tissue of vertebrates, it is abundantly present in the extracellular matrix of soft connective tissues. In mammals, it’s predominantly found in the connective tissue of skin, testes, umbilical cord and synovial fluid.

iu

The skin care industry and the supplement industry are selling HA products to replenish the levels of HA that naturally decline with age. Mostly, to reduce wrinkles and create a more youthful appearance and also increase health span. Years ago, Connie Chung was in an ABC News interview/infomercial on the miracle of HA that may have launched the HA industry in the US. I think that the infomercial is worth watching. The marketing wizards who brought us this 'ABC News' story suggest that the long health span of the Japanese people in the video is related to the high levels of HA in their potatoes. I think that the marketers were focused on selling a value added, age-defying HA products.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgJ-bW6txuw

There are also HA preparations for osteoarthritis(OA). These HA preparations are injected directly into the area of the joint. Connie Chung was in a another 'ABC News' YouTube video that identified this medial application:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PefdHNnDuv4

Eating a diet rich in plant flavonoids (perhaps the plants shown in the first infomercial but not mentioned as part of the solution)can also cause HA levels in the body to increase. Some of these flavonoids inhibit the activity of the enzyme hyaluronidase (HAase) which degrades HA in the body. If you inhibit the degradation of HA the levels will increase. Combining both by adding exogenous HA in the body and eating plants that contain flavonoids that inhibit the action of HAase in the body appears to be the best way to increase HA. Note - It probably best to take your HA pills separately from when you eat meals containing HAase.

From1990: Structure--activity studies of flavonoids as inhibitors of hyaluronidase

I highlighted the flavonoids from the article that were of interest tome. The highlighted flavonoids in the table all exhibited at least15% inhibition. Would it be correct to assume that their effects in the body would be additive?
1694995058844.png

These flavonoids are not strangers to this Forum or to my diet. They may have contributed to the healing of my knee that had intermittently nagged me for a long time. As always, your mileage may vary.

sunny

I wonder if you can grow or buy those potatoes.

I have been thinking about HA over the years, but have never bought anything with it.

Getting/increasing through the diet seems preferable.

Does anyone have a clean source of HA to DIY a moisturizer?

I have been thinking to DIY a meth blue moisturizer .

And now a HA moisturizer.

THinking urea, HA, MB.

Maybe they should be 3 separate lotions and use alternately.

aliml

golder

My mum has really bad knees. Do we think that topical Apigenin/Naringenin would help alleviate some gif her pain? Thanks in advance!

OP
David PS

David PS

My mum has really bad knees. Do we think that topical Apigenin/Naringenin would help alleviate some gif her pain? Thanks in advance!
I am not in the medical/healthcare industry. I do not think that topical application would do much (if anything). The HA is in the synovial fluid.

OP
David PS

David PS

I wonder if you can grow or buy those potatoes.
I wonder how much the potatoes contribute to their health span. It looks like an 80% drop in HA by the time they are 60 years old. That is why I wrote about the flavonoids.

Having said that:

OP
David PS

David PS

OP
David PS

David PS

Thanks this is interesting. I still think that plant based sources of HA and HAase are safe. Pharmaceuticals are sometimes too potent.

DennisX

Many thanks for the references. A number of youtube video DRs aclaim the benifits of HA supplimation. I always post the danger to prostate cancer to those videos but am completely ignored.

Mauritio

For arthritis ,HA injections help some people and some not at all. Sometimes it also takes 5-10 sessions until they notice improvements.

OP
David PS

David PS

For arthritis ,HA injections help some people and some not at all. Sometimes it also takes 5-10 sessions until they notice improvements.
An interesting association. A friend of mine teaches board certified anesthesiologist (who are MDs with 4 extra years of formal training how to and where to precisely inject anesthesia into tissues surrounding nerves to block nerve pain during and after surgery. My friend has many stories about how the doctors who are being trained do not know their anatomy and miss the target (area surrounding the nerve) by such a wide margin that the normal diffusion of the anesthesia is not enough to get the job done.

By analogy, do you think that doctors who are not specially trained in HA injections might have missed their target? If so would they admit to the insurance company and the patient that they missed but should get paid anyway? Could they have missed their mark repeatedly?

Last edited:
OP
David PS

David PS

Nice database but the "all foods" is just all the foods in the database not all all the foods in the world.

Mauritio

An interesting association. A friend of mine teaches board certified anesthesiologist (who are MDs with 4 extra years of formal training how to and where to precisely inject anesthesia into tissues surrounding nerves to block nerve pain during and after surgery. My friend has many stories about how the doctors who are being trained do not know their anatomy and miss the target (area surrounding the nerve) by such a wide margin that the normal diffusion of the anesthesia is not enough to get the job done.

By analogy, do you think that doctors who are not specially trained in HA injections might have missed their target? If so would they admit to the insurance company and the patient that they missed but should get paid anyway? Could they have missed their mark repeatedly?
Good point, it might have to do with that. I even remember one patient telling me there was spontaneous success by the 11th or 12th session or befoer that nothing.

Im almost certain that they would not admit under any circumstance that they made a mistake. Its even rare to have a doctor admit that another doctor made a mistake .

Just yesterday I was talking to a patient who had permanent brain damage from hypernatremia. She said she got a NaCh infusion in the hospital and the dosage she was supposed to get over a period of days, she got in less than a day. Nobody even told her she had brain damage until she came to a new hospital, where the new doc couldn't believe what had happened and said he would have her back in the case of a lawsuit. But thats pretty much the only time I've ever heard a doctor beein so supportive.
Now she can barely work anymore , needs constant therpay and is on high dose opiates. No compensation from the hospital in any shape or form.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals