Are You Spreading Your Thyroid Dose Troughout The Day?

Connor888

I myself have always found thyroid dosing to be a mystery. I don't get it. From my understanding, Peat seems to believe it's best to spread out the dose. However Roddy is a fan of Broda Barnes's protocol. Which is a gradual increase in dose over a period of weeks until you reached the desired effect. And some of Barnes's patients were taking up to 3 grains of thyroid daily.

So, it appears that if you're taking T3 only, it should be small doses spread out over the entire day. If you're taking NDT or Cynoplus, or really anything with T4 in it, it's best to take it all at once. I mean, you aren't going to be able to fit 3 grains of thyroid into your daily schedule if you're spreading it out in 1/4 or 1/2 grain dosages. It's physically impossible. But you are getting some T3 with that too. So it appears T3 must only be problematic in large doses when it's by itself.

I thought it was best to spread ndt out throughout the day because it has t3. I take 2 grains spread out across 3 daily doses and ive been increasing it in 1/4 increments because i have a pill cutter

I just take a nibble from the pill. Pretty easy. Probably get about a tenth of the 25 mcg pill. Consume a few a day depending on current climate conditions and stress levels.

Jessie

If you take Cynoplus all at once, that's 30mcg T3 in one sitting which is extremely unphysiological. You always want to split the doses into smaller increments, whether you're gradually increasing over the many weeks or not.

If you take more per hour than your body can produce (ie more than a few micrograms t3 per hour), you will probably run into problems. This has been my experience with one of the pitfalls of dosing too much at once and many people on the forum have reported this as well. I have decided to order a digital scale and razor blade to break up the doses into the smallest pieces possible to avoid further issues with that. The Wiki goes into further detail on some Ray quotes about dosing that may help further clarify.
I can see that working for someone only taking like 1-2 grains daily, but when you're taking upwards of 3, 4, or even 5 grains, it's impossible to do this. Even if you split the dosages, you'd still be getting like 1 whole grain every dose.

Energizer

I can see that working for someone only taking like 1-2 grains daily, but when you're taking upwards of 3, 4, or even 5 grains, it's impossible to do this. Even if you split the dosages, you'd still be getting like 1 whole grain every dose.

Challenging I would say, not necessarily impossible.

Jessie

I may try thyroid again, but if I do I'm probably going to try Thryomax or tyromix. I want something simple that I can take like 1-2 drops of without cutting a pill.

Energizer

Makes sense. I don't enjoy cutting the pills up myself but what alternative have they left us with when they make it nearly impossible to get the glands naturally (ie. making the sale of raw thyroid glands illegal).

Jessie

@Energizer Yep, just part of the FDA's plan to establish a monopoly in medicine so we have very few alternatives to treat ourselves without jumping through the hoops of this broken healthcare system.

Fexxx

It’s quoted again and again that 4mcg per Hour of T3 is produced. How can than 25mcg T3 be a replacement dose???

I think the quote is wrong and T4 is meant.

Energizer

@Energizer Yep, just part of the FDA's plan to establish a monopoly in medicine so we have very few alternatives to treat ourselves without jumping through the hoops of this broken healthcare system.
Well said.

It’s quoted again and again that 4mcg per Hour of T3 is produced. How can than 25mcg T3 be a replacement dose???

I think a lot of people find if they're hypothyroid, T3 alone is difficult to manage. I had tried that myself, and it requires constantly micromanaging your dosages day and night and it becomes a bit of a chore. I did not do well on T3 only myself, and was getting hypo symptoms constantly. A high ratio of T3 to T4 may be conducive to more clear thinking, but some T4 may be necessary for many hypothyroid people because it helps keep the TSH down at night and converts to the active T3 so it becomes less necessary to need to micromanage the T3.

With Cynoplus, I have less difficulty falling asleep (prior to thyroid was a chronic insomniac), and I stay asleep through the night usually. I don't think Ray ever said T3 is a replacement dose, I think the context of how much T3 the body produces per hour is supposed to corroborate the idea of breaking up the tablets that contain T3 (Cynoplus, Cynomel) as to prevent the liver from producing reverse T3. Hypothyroid people tend to have chronic insomnia and difficulty reaching the deepest layer of sleep. There was a good interview recently where Ray talked about how sleep is affected by thyroid function.

Last edited:

sweetpeat

According to this site How the Thyroid Gland Functions.
T3 Production
Only about 20% of the T3 in your body, about 30 to 40 mcg per day, is produced by the thyroid gland. The other 80% is produced from T4 within the tissues, particularly by your kidneys, liver, muscle, brain, skin, and, when applicable, the placenta.
So 25mcg would be close to replacement for what the thyroid itself produces. When you factor in conversion of t4 to t3 in the tissues, you come closer to 100mcg (4mcg per hour times 24 hrs).

sweetpeat

In the One Radio Network interview from May 2020, Peat states that once or twice a day dosing is fine since the hormones aren't active until digested. Here is that portion of the transcript:
PT:Let's dig in if you will, sir, to a few of the emails in the time we have remaining we always have some time for it. This is from Thomas. He says I finally took the dive and managed to get my hands on some desiccated thyroid out of Thailand. I did feel better after a couple of months of slowly upping the dose. I'm just wondering what Mr. Peat thinks about the best way to dose throughout the day. I always take it first thing in the morning and then a second time around noon or a few hours later. It it taking it twice better than just doing it once a day or on an empty stomach? Any ideas are appreciated.

RP: With desiccated thyroid it really doesn't make very much difference because it has no hormone action until it's been digested and so if you eat it with food it's going to slowly release the hormone, all during the passage of that food through your your small intestine and it's ideally twice a day, theoretically could be better, but in practice once a day it is fine with desiccated thyroid.
So maybe it works to take that many grains in one or two doses if you've built it up slowly enough?

Jessie

In the One Radio Network interview from May 2020, Peat states that once or twice a day dosing is fine since the hormones aren't active until digested. Here is that portion of the transcript:So maybe it works to take that many grains in one or two doses if you've built it up slowly enough?
Yeah this makes sense.

Jessie

I found this, it may help to put this topic in better context for people. This makes me curious about products like tyromix, which are a 2:1 ratio. How would that be properly scaled I wonder? If regular NDT has 20mcgs of T4 and 5mcgs of T3 per 1/2 grain then wouldn't 2 drops of tyromix be roughly equivalent to a half grain (it's higher in T3 but lower in T4)?

japanesedude

my theory is taking serotonin antagonist when u want to go No.2 is a bad idea.
It will stop your bowelmovement and gives u gas and stomachpain.

G1986

Forum Supporter
I myself have always found thyroid dosing to be a mystery. I don't get it. From my understanding, Peat seems to believe it's best to spread out the dose. However Roddy is a fan of Broda Barnes's protocol. Which is a gradual increase in dose over a period of weeks until you reached the desired effect. And some of Barnes's patients were taking up to 3 grains of thyroid daily.

So, it appears that if you're taking T3 only, it should be small doses spread out over the entire day. If you're taking NDT or Cynoplus, or really anything with T4 in it, it's best to take it all at once. I mean, you aren't going to be able to fit 3 grains of thyroid into your daily schedule if you're spreading it out in 1/4 or 1/2 grain dosages. It's physically impossible. But you are getting some T3 with that too. So it appears T3 must only be problematic in large doses when it's by itself.
did Broda Barns advocate to take all NDT dose in the am?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals