Are You Spreading Your Thyroid Dose Troughout The Day?

BearWithMe

Or are you taking the whole dose at once? Are there any benefits in spreading the dose?

paymanz

I think for t4 there is no need to spread it but t3 is better to spread.

alywest

I was taking 25 mcg (cytomel) of t3 throughout the day, and I actually became hyperthyroid. I have started using triyotek which is in capsules of 75mcg but they are easy to break open and take the little granules. At first I was overdoing those, too, but I've realized just 4-5 of the granules in the morning and sometimes at night is more than enough for me. Everyone is different but I find that the triyotek works, and it's easier than the tablets to break into super small doses. I don't take it all day anymore, that was how I started to take too much. Some doctors say that t3 should only be 1:14 of t4, which is contradictory to what RP says.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Many thanks for sharing your expiriences and all the informations! What symptoms you got when you were overdosing the cytomel/triyotek, alywest?

alywest

Many thanks for sharing your expiriences and all the informations! What symptoms you got when you were overdosing the cytomel/triyotek, alywest?
low morning cortisol, cholesterol too low, tsh non-existent, it ends up backfiring and making you tired/achey. fortunately it's easy to reverse with lowered dosing.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

low morning cortisol, cholesterol too low, tsh non-existent, it ends up backfiring and making you tired/achey. fortunately it's easy to reverse with lowered dosing.

After reading this, I was experimenting with my thyroid dosing, and your findings were incredibly useful to me in finding the right dose. I feel much better now. Thank you!

golder

After reading this, I was experimenting with my thyroid dosing, and your findings were incredibly useful to me in finding the right dose. I feel much better now. Thank you!

Out of curiosity could you let us know what timing and dosages worked for you, and if you could flesh out how your trial and error process worked. Thanks!

sweetpeat

I was taking 25 mcg (cytomel) of t3 throughout the day, and I actually became hyperthyroid.
Are you still take 25 mcg total, but in bigger doses? Or is your overall daily total lower? Just curious

Some doctors say that t3 should only be 1:14 of t4, which is contradictory to what RP says
This ratio is working good for me currently.

alywest

You're welcome! Glad to help.

alywest

Are you still take 25 mcg total, but in bigger doses? Or is your overall daily total lower? Just curious

This ratio is working good for me currently.
I'm taking quite a bit less. More in the 3-5 mcg range.

sweetpeat

I'm taking quite a bit less. More in the 3-5 mcg range.
Ahhh, ok thanks. I think I misread your first post. I don't know much about triyotek but it sounds very handy for folks who need small amounts of t3.

This is a very interesting topic to me.

I take T3 throughout the day. All good.

But I have been trying desiccated thyroid and if I take say 80 mcg, I get cold for the whole day. I can take 10mcg of T3 and it does nothing. I mean 95.5F. Temps.

40mcg seems okay. I still get lowered temps but T3 will overcome it and it’s okay. But I don’t see how people take 120mcg or more of desiccated thyroid without having their temps plunge.

Incidentally, the T3 raises HR but not body temperature in the case of taking 80mcg of desiccated.

alywest

This is a very interesting topic to me.

I take T3 throughout the day. All good.

But I have been trying desiccated thyroid and if I take say 80 mcg, I get cold for the whole day. I can take 10mcg of T3 and it does nothing. I mean 95.5F. Temps.

40mcg seems okay. I still get lowered temps but T3 will overcome it and it’s okay. But I don’t see how people take 120mcg or more of desiccated thyroid without having their temps plunge.

Incidentally, the T3 raises HR but not body temperature in the case of taking 80mcg of desiccated.
I personally think that taking too much thyroid and getting to a hyperthyroid state causes cold temps from my experiences as well. I really think a little goes a long way when it comes to T3. I can't take desiccated, it causes me to break out in hive like rashes.

I take T3 in small amounts throughout the day. I’m trying to take desiccated in amounts that would back the T3 and not go all T3.

sweetpeat

But I don’t see how people take 120mcg or more of desiccated thyroid without having their temps plunge.
I've wondered the same thing. Some of those people back in Broda Barnes day took a lot of NDT. Maybe their daytime temps did plunge, temporarily. Barnes seemed mainly interested in basal temps. Maybe the big doses of t4 was enough to overcome the t3 and still bring up the basal temp. Peat says a lot of a large dose of t3 would get deactivated, but the t4 would build up I would think. Some people seem to need a lot of t4.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Out of curiosity could you let us know what timing and dosages worked for you, and if you could flesh out how your trial and error process worked. Thanks!
Sure! Right now I'm taking 8mcg in the morning, right after waking up, and 5mcg in the mid-afternoon, not too close before bedtime.

It was quite simple and straightforward proccess, I was slowly lowering the dose and paid close attention to the things alywest mentioned, symptoms of low morning cortisol turned out to be very good indicator, especially exhaustion right after waking up.

For me, this worked much better than looking for optimal dose using temps/pulse.

Sagitarrius90

taking 25 mcg might be too much for someone whose thyroid isn't suppressed or around 70-80% functional. 12.5 mcg might be better if you think you're relatively healthy. I had to stop taking t3 as I was taking around 25-50 mcg for dieting purposes and had bad estrogenic high cortisol symptoms I started to burn out... If I ever try it again I'm torn on the dose because I've heard taking 12.5 mcg is a waste of time yet 25 mcg might be too much yet seems to be the overall consensus when it comes to replacement dose for a healthy or somewhat healthy person

Jessie

I myself have always found thyroid dosing to be a mystery. I don't get it. From my understanding, Peat seems to believe it's best to spread out the dose. However Roddy is a fan of Broda Barnes's protocol. Which is a gradual increase in dose over a period of weeks until you reached the desired effect. And some of Barnes's patients were taking up to 3 grains of thyroid daily.

So, it appears that if you're taking T3 only, it should be small doses spread out over the entire day. If you're taking NDT or Cynoplus, or really anything with T4 in it, it's best to take it all at once. I mean, you aren't going to be able to fit 3 grains of thyroid into your daily schedule if you're spreading it out in 1/4 or 1/2 grain dosages. It's physically impossible. But you are getting some T3 with that too. So it appears T3 must only be problematic in large doses when it's by itself.

Energizer

I myself have always found thyroid dosing to be a mystery. I don't get it. From my understanding, Peat seems to believe it's best to spread out the dose. However Roddy is a fan of Broda Barnes's protocol. Which is a gradual increase in dose over a period of weeks until you reached the desired effect. And some of Barnes's patients were taking up to 3 grains of thyroid daily.

So, it appears that if you're taking T3 only, it should be small doses spread out over the entire day. If you're taking NDT or Cynoplus, or really anything with T4 in it, it's best to take it all at once. I mean, you aren't going to be able to fit 3 grains of thyroid into your daily schedule if you're spreading it out in 1/4 or 1/2 grain dosages. It's physically impossible. But you are getting some T3 with that too. So it appears T3 must only be problematic in large doses when it's by itself.

If you take Cynoplus all at once, that's 30mcg T3 in one sitting which is extremely unphysiological. You always want to split the doses into smaller increments, whether you're gradually increasing over the many weeks or not.

If you take more per hour than your body can produce (ie more than a few micrograms t3 per hour), you will probably run into problems. This has been my experience with one of the pitfalls of dosing too much at once and many people on the forum have reported this as well. I have decided to order a digital scale and razor blade to break up the doses into the smallest pieces possible to avoid further issues with that. The Wiki goes into further detail on some Ray quotes about dosing that may help further clarify.

T3, by lowering stress, sometimes reveals a low basal metabolic rate, that was hidden by high stress hormones. The body produces about 4 mcg of T3 per hour, so taking more than that can interfere with regulatory processes.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals