Apigenin Increases Steroidogenesis

Koveras

"Previous studies reported that the age-related decline in testosterone biosynthesis is associated with a decrease in the steroidogenic acute regulatory (StAR) protein which regulates the rate-limiting step of testosterone biosynthesis. To explore the possibility of delaying this decline using a dietary approach, we have examined the effect of a natural flavonoid, apigenin, on StAR gene expression in mouse Leydig cells. Incubation of these cells with the flavonoid enhanced cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP)-induced steroidogenesis and StAR protein expression. The results from the analyses of StAR mRNA by reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction and the luciferase assays of StAR promoter activity indicated that this flavonoid enhanced StAR gene expression at the level of transcription. Further studies showed that apigenin blocked the thromboxane A2 receptor and interrupted the signaling through the cyclooxygenase-2-thromboxane A synthase-thromboxane A2-receptor pathway, resulting in a reduction of DAX-1 (dosage sensitive sex reversal-adrenal hypoplasia congenita critical region on the X chromosome, gene-1) protein, a transcriptional repressor of StAR gene expression. When DAX-1 protein was reduced, the sensitivity of the Leydig cells was dramatically enhanced, with sub-threshold level of cAMP being able to induce maximal levels of StAR protein expression and steroid hormone production. The present study suggests a potential application of apigenin to improve StAR protein expression and steroidogenic sensitivity of aging Leydig cells."

Effects of apigenin on steroidogenesis and steroidogenic acute regulatory gene expression in mouse Leydig cells. - PubMed - NCBI

Hiwatt

Swanson >

https://www.amazon.com/Swanson-Apigenin-50-90-Caps/dp/B001TEIJIQ

I have been supplementing with it and other anti-inflammatory teams of supplements for preventing hair loss. I learned about these from Danny Roddy's youtube videos and a couple other sources.

REVERATOL with TURMERIC/CURCUMIN
GREEN TEA EXTRACT with SOY ISOFLAVONES
VITAMIN D
B Complex
NARINIGEN with APINIGEN
GELATIN
ASPIRIN

paymanz

It also directly is anabolic to muscles.

And somewhere ray mentioned parsley and celery as good sources of apigenin.

So i want know to what extend it withstands cooking temps.

griesburner

to my knowledge, chamomille is also a rich source of apigenin. Would be interesting to know how much you can get by drinking strong cups of this tea. I am pretty sure its water soluble also, but dont knoa how heat stable it is.

paymanz

to my knowledge, chamomille is also a rich source of apigenin. Would be interesting to know how much you can get by drinking strong cups of this tea. I am pretty sure its water soluble also, but dont knoa how heat stable it is.
Are you sure its water soluble? There is different data about this.

LeeLemonoil

Is water soluble, chamomille tea a great source - also red wine and beer. And Citrus peels. I'd think since naturally apigenin exists as glucoside the Supplementes are questionable

I would avoid resveratrol strongly. It is estrogenic and toxic although quantities found in grapes are probably fine.

Inaut

I read that dried parsley is extremely high in Apigenin. More so than fresh and it’s really cheap. I know peat has spoken positively about apigenin but I’ve read some other things not so good about it. Any opinions here? @Obi-wan I’ve read it’s beneficial for prostate cancer especially and is even a strong aromatase inhibitor...

Thoughts?

Broken man

I read that dried parsley is extremely high in Apigenin. More so than fresh and it’s really cheap. I know peat has spoken positively about apigenin but I’ve read some other things not so good about it. Any opinions here? @Obi-wan I’ve read it’s beneficial for prostate cancer especially and is even a strong aromatase inhibitor...

Thoughts?
Good one old you found. I would like it too if its good or bad....

Kartoffel

Does anyone know how heat sensitive apigenin is? I wouldn't wanna eat raw celery sticks, but I often use the tuber for soups.

Obi-wan

Thoughts?

Thanks for the info @Inaut. Per Wikipedia "Apigenin induces autophagy (a kind of cellular waste-recycling system) in leukemia cells, which may support a possible chemopreventive role. Induced autophagy interferes with the action of the chemotherapy drug vincristine.[3] Apigenin is a potent inhibitor of CYP2C9,[4] an enzyme responsible for the metabolism of many pharmaceutical drugs in the body. Apigenin dimers can reverse the highest level of drug resistance found in cancer stem cells." So not sure about it...

Inaut

Everyday vegetables such as celery, onions and parsley contain testosterone-enhancing substancesthat, as we age, prevent our testosterone production from declining. Researchers at Texas Tech University discovered this. In the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry they describe the experiments they did with apigenin, a promising testosterone booster, that's found in high quantities in parsley [structural formula shown here].

apigeninstructure.gif

The researchers at Texas Tech are working on ways of reducing the damage caused by the aging process, which includes searching for techniques that reduce the decline in testosterone levels in older men. A declining testosterone level leads to loss of muscle mass, bone mass and libido, but it also speeds up the development of neurological problems such as Alzheimer's. Epidemiological studies have shown that a high testosterone level protects men against this disease. [Neurology. 2004 Jan 27; 62(2): 188-93.] According to animal studies, this is because testosterone inhibits the growth of beta-amyloid peptides and the hyperphosphorylation of the tau protein in the brain. [Endocrinology. 2003 Aug; 144(8): 3368-75.]

Apigenin is a naturally occurring substance that scuppers the working of the thromboxane-A2 receptor, the Texans discovered when they screened a large number of substances. Apigenin is found in vegetables. The best sources are parsley and celery. 100 g parsley contain 300 mg apigenin and 100 g of celery leaves contain 56 mg. A bit of Google work and you'll

How a flavonoid in parsley boosts testosterone levels

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals