Low Toxin Lifestyle Any Low-A practitioners here actually FINISHED their detox, and not still experiencing constant TOXIC BILE DUMPS?

Sorry in advance for my ignorance, but having followed a lot of these low-A threads, it seems that a lot of people who've been doing this for years are still going through these detox cycles and periodically feeling like crap while they get through it. So just a couple of questions, and please don't interpret this as a criticism, because I've recently started giving it a go myself...

1. How are you still dumping toxic bile after all this time? How much vitamin A can the liver store?

2. Do you ever doubt yourself and wonder whether these negative detox symptoms are actually just vitamin A, E, copper etc. deficiency and these are just symptoms of the deficiency?

Again, not trying to poke holes, I don't know the science so would like to hear a logical explanation.

Nick

Sorry in advance for my ignorance, but having followed a lot of these low-A threads, it seems that a lot of people who've been doing this for years are still going through these detox cycles and periodically feeling like crap while they get through it. So just a couple of questions, and please don't interpret this as a criticism, because I've recently started giving it a go myself...

1. How are you still dumping toxic bile after all this time? How much vitamin A can the liver store?

2. Do you ever doubt yourself and wonder whether these negative detox symptoms are actually just vitamin A, E, copper etc. deficiency and these are just symptoms of the deficiency?

Again, not trying to poke holes, I don't know the science so would like to hear a logical explanation.
Based on the testing done by Grant Genereux and Garrett Smith it looks like many people have 2-5 years of excess vitamin A stored in their livers, plus many other kinds of toxins that get stored in the liver.

I can't speak from experience since I'm only 6 months into low-A but judging by what I've read on Love Your Liver where people are doing lots of things to speed up detox it looks like it takes 2-3 years before people are consistently free of detox symptoms even when doing things to speed up detox.

Grant Genereux and others who have taken a more similar approach to his may never experience these detox cycles at all. Grant did not and he is not a fan of supplements like niacin, lactoferrin and other things that increase bile flow. So his approach may be slower but smoother, although judging by the forum on his blog this has not universally been the case for everyone following his advice.

As far as distinguishing detox from deficiency, detox symptoms usually diminish with charcoal use, which wouldn't make sense for deficiency, and then when the symptoms pass there is usually an improvement in other aspects of health.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I first started low VA in July of 2018 with the original recommendation of bison or beef and rice and didn’t have any noticeable detox reactions while eating that way. I mainly ate muscle meat carnivore from mid 2019 through the summer of 2023 and never really had detox reactions when I was strict with that diet either. I tried numerous times to expand my diet but would fail each time within 2-3 months. I agree with Nick’s thoughts. Garrett’s program powerfully stimulates the body to detox and when I follow his recommendations closely that’s exactly what happens. In hindsight I know I’ve had a very slow detox for most of the time which actually worked out well for me because of my job responsibilities. I’m apparently nowhere near deficient in A based on my last labs.

PopSocket

I am new to this(3 months) but doing it a bit hardcore and I get detox symptoms when I go too quick. Except Niacin, minerals and diet I am doing some things none of the low VA crowd recommends to speed up the process(a bit controversial and probably risky so not gonna share here) and it can cause massive issues especially the skin which can get so bad as if I got a chemical peel. Slight stomach discomfort and other issues are no biggie. A bit of depression is also something I get for a day or two.

Slow detox might be the best strategy if one wants to spare kidney and skin health and don't feel like a wreck sometimes.

CJ_87

Would fasting or weight loss in general be a way to lower the concentration of vitamin A in the body? Maybe it could speed up the detox into a briefer span of time.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Would fasting or weight loss in general be a way to lower the concentration of vitamin A in the body? Maybe it could speed up the detox into a briefer span of time.
From AI using the information from Dr. Garrett Smiths live stream:

Fasting or weight loss, in general, may not necessarily be a way to lower the concentration of vitamin A in the body. The document discusses how the liver runs out of the proteins and amino acids needed to run detox systems after about three days of not eating. Dr. Garrett Smith also mentions that lowering vitamin A intake too quickly can be problematic for some individuals transitioning to a low carotenoid diet. It is highlighted that there is no such thing as a zero vitamin A diet, and obsessing over tiny amounts of vitamin A may not be necessary if other dietary aspects are addressed. The text emphasizes the importance of understanding the complexities of vitamin A toxicity, liver function, and the role of various nutrients like zinc and taurine in managing vitamin A levels in the body

Is fasting healthy?
The document provided contains a detailed discussion by Dr. Garrett Smith on various aspects related to health, nutrition, detoxification, and the impact of different dietary choices on the body. Dr. Smith emphasizes the importance of understanding the complexities of liver function, detoxification processes, and the role of nutrients like zinc and taurine in managing vitamin A levels in the body. The text delves into the challenges associated with detoxification, highlighting that the liver requires proteins and amino acids to run detox systems effectively. It also touches on the potential risks of lowering vitamin A intake too quickly and advises against obsessing over tiny amounts of vitamin A if other dietary aspects are addressed properly. The narrative underscores the significance of patience, support, and determination in the detoxification process, cautioning against rushing the detox process and emphasizing that true detox is a gradual journey rather than a quick fix
With that said, fasting is not generally recommended. And weight loss will happen naturally as the liver is able to process the toxins that it has stored away in the fat.

CJ_87

From AI using the information from Dr. Garrett Smiths live stream:

Is fasting healthy?

With that said, fasting is not generally recommended. And weight loss will happen naturally as the liver is able to process the toxins that it has stored away in the fat.
Thank you Charlie, 😊. So it seems that a slower detox would be superior, similar to the old PUFA depletion approach. It says that adequate protein and minerals are necessary to detox optimally, so maybe the "cowboy diet" that you mentioned before would be a better option.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thank you Charlie, 😊. So it seems that a slower detox would be superior, similar to the old PUFA depletion approach. It says that adequate protein and minerals are necessary to detox optimally, so maybe the "cowboy diet" that you mentioned before would be a better option.
There should be someone posting soon about their experience with the cowboy diet. They did not tell me what their experience was, only that they would be posting soon about it. I am thinking yes, the cowboy diet might be superior. Dr. Smith has alluded to how cowboys who helped build America were pretty tough and had plenty of energy to get the job done.

Nick

Fasting slows bile production, so in that sense it is slowing detox in the liver while at the same time freeing up the vitamin A and other fat soluble toxins stored in the fat tissue that is getting used for fuel. These toxins then have to be excreted by the kidneys and through the skin or else they end up accumulating in the organs. I think there are some uses and benefits of fasting but just for lowering vitamin A stores it is probably counter productive.

Caro

... A bit of depression is also something I get for a day or two.

Is mild depression a common Vit A detox symptom? I seem to be experiencing this as well since lowering Vit A. Have you found that slow detox overcomes the problem? Thanks.

PopSocket

Is mild depression a common Vit A detox symptom? I seem to be experiencing this as well since lowering Vit A. Have you found that slow detox overcomes the problem? Thanks.
Not sure if it is vit A detox specifically or just detox in general. Who knows what else is coming out. When I switch to clean diet only I have 0 issues.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
How is your protein intake?

Osukhan

Fasting can be great for NAFLD
doing a 48-72 hour fast here and there (sporadic) can be a great way to allow the body to heal

marcar72

Would fasting or weight loss in general be a way to lower the concentration of vitamin A in the body?

Getting a lot of sunlight for vitamin D production would speed up the utilization of vitamin A since the two are synergistic.

Caro

How is your protein intake?

I aim for approx 70g/d (I'm a small person). If I go higher, then my total caloric intake goes down because protein is so filling. Before lowering Vit A, 70g was fine and I didn't have a problem with depression (the depression is mild and periodic).

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I aim for approx 70g/d (I'm a small person). If I go higher, then my total caloric intake goes down because protein is so filling. Before lowering Vit A, 70g was fine and I didn't have a problem with depression (the depression is mild and periodic).
Extra protein can sometimes help the detox symptoms.

Caro

Yes, if you look up side effects of accutane, anything on that list can be a vitamin A detox symptom.

Thank you. I've just looked up the side effects of accutane, and mental depression is stated as being rare. But side effects may be different from detox effects?

Caro

Not sure if it is vit A detox specifically or just detox in general. Who knows what else is coming out. When I switch to clean diet only I have 0 issues.

Thanks, good to know. My diet isn't very strict (I'm not on the prison diet), so perhaps something else is contributing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals