A Record Number Of Americans Suffer From Severe Psychological Distress (SPD)

haidut

Forum Supporter
I am posting this study in support of other recent studied I posted on increases of chronic disease rates in young people, especially stroke and diabetes I.
Stroke Rates Have Almost Doubled In Young Adults
Rates Of Diabetes I And II Are Rapidly Rising In Young Children And Teens
Health Of Young People Has Declined Strongly In The Last 30 Years

While there are many factors that influence the risk of developing these conditions, severe psychological distress (SPD) is proven to be a causative factor in stroke and diabetes. I don't think this rise in SPD explains fully the increase in these conditions but it is one of the main factors, together with diet and poor environmental conditions.
The part that confuses me is how is SPD different from the slew of mental disorders such as depression, bipolar disorder, various schizoaffective disorders, etc that share the same symptoms and why it is counted as a separate condition. I think one of the reasons for the recent changes in DSM V is to dilute the broad message these common signs/symptoms send - i.e. when all mental health disorders/disturbances are taken into account it shows that about half of the population of a developed country is mentally ill.

Study Paints Somber Picture of U.S. Mental Health Status and Access to Care

"...More Americans than ever before suffer from serious psychological distress, and the country's ability to meet the growing demand for mental health services is rapidly eroding. Researchers from NYU Langone Medical Center analyzed a federal health information database and concluded that 3.4 percent of the U.S. population (more than 8.3 million) adult Americans suffer from serious psychological distress, or SPD."

"...According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which conducts the National Health Interview Survey on which the research is based, SPD combines feelings of sadness, worthlessness, and restlessness that are hazardous enough to impair people's physical well-being. Previous survey estimates had put the number of Americans suffering from SPD at 3 percent or less."

"...The findings — believed to be the first analysis of its kind in more than a decade — were published in the journal Psychiatric Services online April 17. More than 35,000 U.S. households, involving more than 200,000 Americans between the ages of 18 and 64, in all states and across all ethnic and socioeconomic groups, participate in the yearly survey. Among the study's other key findings is that, over the course of the surveys from 2006 to 2014, access to health care services deteriorated for people suffering from severe distress when compared to those who did not report SPD."

Regina

I am posting this study in support of other recent studied I posted on increases of chronic disease rates in young people, especially stroke and diabetes I.
Stroke Rates Have Almost Doubled In Young Adults
Rates Of Diabetes I And II Are Rapidly Rising In Young Children And Teens
Health Of Young People Has Declined Strongly In The Last 30 Years

While there are many factors that influence the risk of developing these conditions, severe psychological distress (SPD) is proven to be a causative factor in stroke and diabetes. I don't think this rise in SPD explains fully the increase in these conditions but it is one of the main factors, together with diet and poor environmental conditions.
The part that confuses me is how is SPD different from the slew of mental disorders such as depression, bipolar disorder, various schizoaffective disorders, etc that share the same symptoms and why it is counted as a separate condition. I think one of the reasons for the recent changes in DSM V is to dilute the broad message these common signs/symptoms send - i.e. when all mental health disorders/disturbances are taken into account it shows that about half of the population of a developed country is mentally ill.

Study Paints Somber Picture of U.S. Mental Health Status and Access to Care

"...More Americans than ever before suffer from serious psychological distress, and the country's ability to meet the growing demand for mental health services is rapidly eroding. Researchers from NYU Langone Medical Center analyzed a federal health information database and concluded that 3.4 percent of the U.S. population (more than 8.3 million) adult Americans suffer from serious psychological distress, or SPD."

"...According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which conducts the National Health Interview Survey on which the research is based, SPD combines feelings of sadness, worthlessness, and restlessness that are hazardous enough to impair people's physical well-being. Previous survey estimates had put the number of Americans suffering from SPD at 3 percent or less."

"...The findings — believed to be the first analysis of its kind in more than a decade — were published in the journal Psychiatric Services online April 17. More than 35,000 U.S. households, involving more than 200,000 Americans between the ages of 18 and 64, in all states and across all ethnic and socioeconomic groups, participate in the yearly survey. Among the study's other key findings is that, over the course of the surveys from 2006 to 2014, access to health care services deteriorated for people suffering from severe distress when compared to those who did not report SPD."
Just one observation. A young woman where I train is married to another female and they just had a baby. Her wife carried the pregnancy. I found it odd that the baby is dropped off at daycare 5 days a week. She's only a few weeks old. The mothers are both in grad school. I am of the generation where my mom stayed home while we were little. No day care. My nephews though had working mothers; they were dropped off at day care every weekday. I must admit, they have grown up to be rather narcissistic. I think DSM considers the category "Cluster B." Ray has said that early maternal neglect can cause damaged serotinergic systems. What I see is a clear issue with attachments and bonds.

Tarmander

Just one observation. A young woman where I train is married to another female and they just had a baby. Her wife carried the pregnancy. I found it odd that the baby is dropped off at daycare 5 days a week. She's only a few weeks old. The mothers are both in grad school. I am of the generation where my mom stayed home while we were little. No day care. My nephews though had working mothers; they were dropped off at day care every weekday. I must admit, they have grown up to be rather narcissistic. I think DSM considers the category "Cluster B." Ray has said that early maternal neglect can cause damaged serotinergic systems. What I see is a clear issue with attachments and bonds.

The day care generation, or I guess generations. When kids get the empirical message that mom cares more about work then being with them. Why care about others when you have no one caring for you? I'll get mine...etc

DaveFoster

The day care generation, or I guess generations. When kids get the empirical message that mom cares more about work then being with them. Why care about others when you have no one caring for you? I'll get mine...etc
This is true. No love at home, no love at work. How awful, how cold, how isolating for a person in the modern West. Work 50, 60, 70 hours, pay half your income away in taxes, and keep buying! Materialism: the one true religion.

"Money will make your problems go away!" the banker says as he authorizes your loan.

"Stuff will make you fulfilled!" the salesman says as he pitches another car.

"Rules will make you safe!" the politician says as he legislates further restriction.

Pills to ease you, punitive taxes on the productive to please you.

Little do you know, offshore accounts continue to grow.

But continue to purchase that Candy Crush app, and other monotonous, repetitive crap.

Last edited:

Tarmander

This is true. No love at home, no love at work. How awful, how cold, how isolating for a person in the modern West. Work 50, 60, 70 hours, pay half your income away in taxes, and keep buying! Materialism: the one true religion.

"Money will make your problems go away!" the banker says as he authorizes your loan.

"Rules will make you safe!" the politician says as he legislates further restriction.

But continue to purchase that Candy Crush app, and other monotonous, repetitive crap.

Nice man, did you make that up? Or does it come from somewhere?

You can kind of tell the day care people out there too. They are the ones who don't need anyone, and double down on that continuously. Who can be the most detached and "okay."

marsaday

It is very normal in the uk to have kids and put them in day care from 8am till 6pm. Our neighbours do this 4 days a week. Our young un is looked after by us !!!!

And they put them in from 6mths old !!

Last edited:

Atman

Good write-up.

However depressing the current situation may be, I find confidence in the observation that nature is ruthlessly self correcting.
The further we deviate from the "natural norm", the sicker the individual and society as a whole gets.
If we fail to correct course, society will inevitably disintegrate and eventually something new will emerge.

L

lollipop

However depressing the current situation may be, I find confidence in the observation that nature is ruthlessly self correcting.
The further we deviate from the "natural norm", the sicker the individual and society as a whole gets.
If we fail to correct course, society will inevitably disintegrate and eventually something new will emerge.
Wise. Great reflection @Atman.

lampofred

Good write-up.

That works in the long-term, but many people will have to suffer in the short-term. To an individual with terrible health living in a terrible society, it doesn't make an ounce of difference that things will "self-correct" in a few decades. That individual's life is gone. The only salvation is for those in power to make strategic moves to veer society back into proper course. But when have leaders ever wanted or done what's truly best for people?

Morgan

Nice man, did you make that up? Or does it come from somewhere?

You can kind of tell the day care people out there too. They are the ones who don't need anyone, and double down on that continuously. Who can be the most detached and "okay."
This definitely seems apparent.. I have to constantly force myself from being too detached, from being alone for too long, and I think it's one of the most destructive health issues that many of us face.. doesn't matter how self sufficient, or independent someone is; we aren't meant to feel alone, and you can feel that way even when you are with people. Can't really blame my parents, they divorced when I was born, and both parents have to work within this society; if you fall within a certain class..

Good write-up.

Or you come to the conclusion that nature itself is the enemy. In a way, society has been emulating the tendencies of nature, and so of course it will disintegrate, only for something new to bloom.

Last edited:

AJC

That works in the long-term, but many people will have to suffer in the short-term. To an individual with terrible health living in a terrible society, it doesn't make an ounce of difference that things will "self-correct" in a few decades. That individual's life is gone. The only salvation is for those in power to make strategic moves to veer society back into proper course. But when have leaders ever wanted or done what's truly best for people?

Not at all, the fact that nature is "self-correcting" extends right down to the level of the individual. The salvation does not come from the top-down, but from the individual, from the inside-out more like. The power for constructive change is a human trait, and the only way it gets used is if we decide to exercise it on the individual level--in our own lives. It's a challenge for sure--but it's a challenge that when taken up without complaint is energizing to the whole organism and has a net positive effect.

Tarmander

This definitely seems apparent.. I have to constantly force myself from being too detached, from being alone for too long, and I think it's one of the most destructive health issues that many of us face.. doesn't matter how self sufficient, or independent someone is; we aren't meant to feel alone, and you can feel that way even when you are with people. Can't really blame my parents, they divorced when I was born, and both parents have to work within this society; if you fall within a certain class..

Yeah I was in the same boat, divorced parents, not much day care thankfully, but the same tendencies.

What I find amazing is how children are so quick to embrace this need within themselves to be close with people and bond. They are then stronger for it! The whole being alone, being isolated makes you strong...makes you sick too.

Edit: for the nature stuff, Jordan Peterson has some great work on this. He talks about culture and nature as two distinct forces in human life that have been with us forever. Nature is of course deadly, and will kill you without remorse, but it is also the womb of renewal. Everything new and energizing comes from it. Nature can renew your life and society, making it more robust. Culture is always tyrannical in some form or another, and always out dated, needing constant renewal to the "facts on the ground." However culture also teaches you everything you know, gives you safety and order, protects you from the more malevolent forces, the demons, of the world. So both culture and nature have positive and negative aspects.

Last edited:

My lack of a relationship with my mother has led to a lot of emotional disregulation that I'm still dealing with.

I think feminism and female careerism will have a lot to answer for. Wjat kind of mammal abandons her infant children like that. We live in a society where your work is more important than your offspring. These women will get old and their children will leave them in the hands of uncaring nurses

Quote from the Evernotes:

"[A]t least for mice, a vital way that parenting can change the very chemistry of a youngster's genes. [A] singular window in development [is] the first twelve hours after a rodent's birth--during which a crucial methyl process occurs. How much a mother rat licks and grooms her pups during this window actually determines how brain chemicals that respond to stress will be made in that pup's brain for the rest of its life.

The more nurturing the mother, the more quick-witted, confident, and fearless the pup will become; the less nurturing she is, the slower to learn and more overwhelmed by threats the pup will be.

The human equivalents of licking and grooming seem to be empathy, attunement, and touch. If [this research] translates to humans . . . then how our parents treated us has left its genetic imprint over and above the set of DNA they passed down to us. And how we treat our children will, in turn, set levels of activity in their genes. (pp. 152-54)"

Some sort of...New world order?

Maybe that's the plan.

Regina

Yeah I was in the same boat, divorced parents, not much day care thankfully, but the same tendencies.

What I find amazing is how children are so quick to embrace this need within themselves to be close with people and bond. They are then stronger for it! The whole being alone, being isolated makes you strong...makes you sick too.

Edit: for the nature stuff, Jordan Peterson has some great work on this. He talks about culture and nature as two distinct forces in human life that have been with us forever. Nature is of course deadly, and will kill you without remorse, but it is also the womb of renewal. Everything new and energizing comes from it. Nature can renew your life and society, making it more robust. Culture is always tyrannical in some form or another, and always out dated, needing constant renewal to the "facts on the ground." However culture also teaches you everything you know, gives you safety and order, protects you from the more malevolent forces, the demons, of the world. So both culture and nature have positive and negative aspects.
Nicely said Tarmander.
It reminds me of the "upward downward path". When you look at a river, you can see the beautiful water or the scar it carves in the landscape.
John Burnet, Early Greek Philosophy

Atman

Some sort of...New world order?

Maybe that's the plan.

I consider the current state already as this new world order. It might not be finished completely but the differences are of a mere quantitative nature at this point.
But it's not feasible. What they are working towards is unsustainable and goes completely against human nature. Therefore they will eventually lose control and fail.
The question is, when the collapse will happen and how much will be left to rebuild with at that point in time.

Tarmander

Nicely said Tarmander.
It reminds me of the "upward downward path". When you look at a river, you can see the beautiful water or the scar it carves in the landscape.
John Burnet, Early Greek Philosophy
That's a cool example that I haven't heard. I like those Ancient Greek guys; they have some great insights alongside the "everything is made of water" hilarity. Was Herakleitos the guy who said you never stand in the same river twice or something along those lines?

Drareg

With genetically modified babies coming along soon,all of this will be gone so "they" will say.....
Just edit out the bit you don't like about having children to fit the modern world,sounds like a joke doesn't it.......

Regina

That's a cool example that I haven't heard. I like those Ancient Greek guys; they have some great insights alongside the "everything is made of water" hilarity. Was Herakleitos the guy who said you never stand in the same river twice or something along those lines?
Yep.
‘We both step and do not step in the same rivers. We are and are not’.
Heraclitus, change, and flow

(sorry for the gobbledeegook previous link).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals