Americans Are Retiring Later, Dying Sicker And Sooner In-between

haidut

Forum Supporter
The mainstream media is finally starting to seize onto the facts that the common population has been observed "anecdotally" for over 20 years. That is, the health of the average American has been steadily deteriorating, while life has become progressively harder (financially) for most working people. The death rates of people younger than 40 keep increasing, and the most troubling aspects is that the diseases that kill younger people were once thought to be "old people" ailments - i.e. cancer, CVD, dementia and infections.
Of course there is an abundance of explanations given - from the calls not to worry about it because it is a fluke, to placing the entire blame in sugar, obesity, alcohol, drugs, etc. At least the elephant in the room is not longer being ignored - people living today have it worse than their parents and possibly their gradparents, despite the latter surviving through 2 World Wars and a Cold War, recessions, famines, etc.

http://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/abs/10.1377/hlthaff.2017.0217?journalCode=hlthaff
https://www.mema.org/americans-are-retiring-later-dying-sooner-and-sicker-between

"...But lifespans aren’t necessarily extending to offer equal time on the beach. Data released last week suggest Americans’ health is declining and millions of middle-age workers face the prospect of shorter, and less active, retirements than their parents enjoyed. Here are the stats: The U.S. age-adjusted mortality rate -- a measure of the number of deaths per year -- rose 1.2 percent from 2014 to 2015, according to the Society of Actuaries. That’s the first year-over-year increase since 2005, and only the second rise greater than 1 percent since 1980. At the same time that Americans’ life expectancy is stalling, public policy and career tracks mean millions of U.S. workers are waiting longer to call it quits. The age at which people can claim their full Social Security benefits is gradually moving up, from 65 for those retiring in 2002 to 67 in 2027. Almost one in three Americans age 65 to 69 is still working, along with almost one in five in their early 70s. Postponing retirement can make financial sense, because extended careers can make it possible to afford retirements that last past age 90 or even 100. But a study out this month adds some caution to that calculation. Americans in their late 50s already have more serious health problems than people at the same ages did 10 to 15 years ago, according to the journal Health Affairs. University of Michigan economists HwaJung Choi and Robert Schoeni used survey data to compare middle-age Americans’ health. A key measure is whether people have trouble with an “activity of daily living,” or ADL, such as walking across a room, dressing and bathing themselves, eating, or getting in or out of bed. The study showed the number of middle-age Americans with ADL limitations has jumped: 12.5 percent of Americans at the current retirement age of 66 had an ADL limitation in their late 50s, up from 8.8 percent for people with a retirement age of 65.

"...At the current retirement age of 66, a quarter of Americans age 58 to 60 rated themselves in “poor” or “fair” health. That’s up 2.6 points from the group who could retire with full benefits at 65, the Michigan researchers found. Cognitive skills have also declined over time. For those with a retirement age of 66, 11 percent already had some kind of dementia or other cognitive decline at age 58 to 60, according to the study. That’s up from 9.5 percent of Americans just a few years older, with a retirement age between 65 and 66. While death rates can be volatile from year to year, Choi and Schoeni’s study is part of a raft of other research showing the health of Americans deteriorating."

The situation is very bad indeed. I'm 17 and I can say that the mental state of young people isn't very good at all. We are all depressed, over-stressed, poorly nourished, sleep deprived, and lack the satisfaction of decent social lives thanks to social media. Sure there are exceptions, but the majority of the young people I know fall under at least one of these traits. I can only imagine how it will be in the coming decades.

Kyle M

85E3E3CA-FF5A-41B2-93CA-5F9D26DFE8BA.jpeg

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Lol, true with the exception of how the Boomer looks like in that pic. I think boomers are in just slightly better health than millenials. The healthier hunters would be probably be of Peat's generations and earlier.

Lee Simeon

I totally get your point Haidut, but I think saying that we have it worse than previous generations is a big **** stretch.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I totally get your point Haidut, but I think saying that we have it worse than previous generations is a big **** stretch.

I think we have it worse health-wise but "better" in terms of more material goods, less food shortages and massive acute die-offs due to infectious disease. So, I guess our grandparents were healthier but less certain about their future while we are sicker but feel more in control of our lives. Not sure which one I would choose if I had to choose...

burtlancast

Let's not forget the rise in child cancer, diabetes , autism (record rates) and attention deficit disorders.

Lee Simeon

I think we have it worse health-wise but "better" in terms of more material goods, less food shortages and massive acute die-offs due to infectious disease. So, I guess our grandparents were healthier but less certain about their future while we are sicker but feel more in control of our lives. Not sure which one I would choose if I had to choose...
Well obviously this one. If not you would not have found Raymond. Previous generations might have overall been healthier than this generation. I am not arguing that, but during this era you have the information available to discover different ideas much more easily and you have the freedom to choose what to do with it. If that makes sense...

burtlancast

If that makes sense...

There's no warranty anymore to make it through childhood and become a healthy adult, able to make sound decisions.

The effects of depleted food and chemicals influences each generation, the latest always having it worse than the earlier. Pottenger's study and others proves it.

Thus my allusion to the rise in childhood diseases.

Peata

In my family, the generations before the Boomers tended to live longer (some earlier generation males lived into 90's and some females to about 100).

But a number of the Baby Boomers in my family already have serious problems - cancer, heart bypasses, etc. that did not plague those older generation people. These Boomers would be dead if not for the modern treatments. Some have died.

Lee Simeon

There's no warranty anymore to make it through childhood and become a healthy adult, able to make sound decisions.

The effects of depleted food and chemicals influences each generation, the latest always having it worse than the earlier. Pottenger's study and others proves it.

Thus my allusion to the rise in childhood diseases.
I do not think there has ever been a warranty though

burtlancast

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
In my family, the generations before the Boomers tended to live longer (some earlier generation males lived into 90's and some females to about 100).

But a number of the Baby Boomers in my family already have serious problems - cancer, heart bypasses, etc. that did not plague those older generation people. These Boomers would be dead if not for the modern treatments. Some have died.
This is true for me too. My grandparents are all on some sort of pharmacy drug, and are either diabetic or pre-diabetic. My great grandpa who passed recently was physically capable all the until his last days. He could work in the garden and even move moderately heavy objects. It wasn't until he started getting on all the pills that he actually started to decline.

My parents grandparents, and great grandparents always told me how healthy they were when they were my age. How they were so full of energy, and happiness. I'm just not seeing the state of youth they describe in my generation. I know first hand.

I walk around and I see kids that are obese, kids with postural traits that show a lack happiness. I talk to people that are just so depressed about the future! When I meat someone that has what you would think to be an average degree of happiness its very refreshing.

Humans are fairly good at recognizing the state of the other people around them. We can immediately tell if someone is angry, or feeling awkward or sad. From my observations and experience even the youngest, the people that should be the healthiest, are showing states of decline. psychologically I think that people will continue to decline, and that will eventually manifest physically.

theLaw

For anyone who doubts this, just look at the obscene amount of iron in everyday foods.........not to mention fast-food.

Add that to pufa (6+G in a tbsp of mayonnaise), reduce physical activity, and there's your recipe for disaster.

What do you guys think the reasons behind the poor health in such young people these days is? Surely can't all be just PUFA?

I am a big believer that our mental states manifest into our physical states. I think that the modern life is incredibly stressful! The pressure is on you at all times its just relentless! If your smart you actively try to avoid it, and get away from toxic relationships. However most people do not do this. Eating poorly also changes you mental state so this has its place.

Ideonaut

yep. My mother, born in 1917 , tho she grew up in a big city, ate all organic as a child and young person--that's all there was--and lived to 92. The way this society is set up, corporate wealth is given priority over the health of the population. Look at the obscenity of Monsanto getting away with poisoning the food supply.

Nokoni

I am a big believer that our mental states manifest into our physical states. I think that the modern life is incredibly stressful! The pressure is on you at all times its just relentless! If your smart you actively try to avoid it, and get away from toxic relationships. However most people do not do this. Eating poorly also changes you mental state so this has its place.
I think you’re right and that the brainwashing is causing much of it. (With exceptions for all generalities,) young women today are insane. They’re as strong as the boys and it seems they believe it. If they ever test the proposition they’ll get killed. And young men are forced to go along with it like it’s normal, and many probably have been brainwashed enough to believe it. But it’s anything but normal. Relations between the sexes are laughably dysfunctional today. And guess what? Having mutually beneficial relations between the sexes is pretty important, for everyone’s mental health. Sex is about as fundamental as it gets.

When I was a young man we worked with each other and it was kinda fun, even office work. There was no sexual tension. It was just work. There was competition and there’s always office politics, but it was notably less tense and more meritocratic. Then women came in and fun left. Their behavior was weird – bossy, dismissive, arrogant. Apparently they consciously tried to act like “men”, except that wasn’t how we acted at all. ***holes are ubiquitous so you always had to deal with a few but mostly it was pretty collegial.

Plus you had to start treating them like men. That’s a complete mind warp. It’s not normal. They’re not men. By nature men are sexual predators and women are sexual prey. And they liked it as much as we did. Maybe more. Many of us were like why can’t we have Sadie Hawkins Day every day? Why do I gotta put myself out there and get humiliated? But if repeated humiliation was the price I had to pay to get what they had and we all wanted, then humiliation it was gonna be. But the way it is now leaves nobody happy.

I pity young men today. Even if you do find a girl who skipped all the Marxism what are you gonna do with her to get acquainted? The way you work it is by breaking bread in a decent place with soft lighting and music, an aperatif and a bottle of wine, and then walk down the street to a nice place you know that’s not too noisy for a couple beers. Not to get her drunk but to get her to relax, and just as importantly to get yourself to relax. If it turns out she wants to tie one on and take a tumble then that’s fine too, but then that’s probably not the one you wanna take home to meet momma. And then you take her home in your car, the same one you picked her up in. But if you do all that, just out having a pleasant evening with a girl, you’re technically drunk and you could end the night in jail. It’s too big a risk. And taxis and ubers? Wow. What a buzzkill. I pity young men today.

And I pity young women even more. The formula they’ve been fed for happiness is doomed to failure. We worked so we could get one of them. We sure didn’t do it for fun. But they’re like hey bro, we want some of that fun. Sheesh. Ok gals, enjoy your “fun”. But men can still find job satisfaction in male dominated fields – networking, plumbing, any physical job – and also in sales, which is more meritocratic. But for women I think it's harder. They work in offices with each other and beta males. What fun. I pity women today too.

So mental stress has got to be at all time highs for young people today, and that’s bound to have serious adverse consequences for health. But the PUFA thing is also big. Really, really big. The switch from butter and lard to seed oils happened in my lifetime, and it was seismic. Coming out of Costco the other day with my precious little girl she spotted a woman lugging a giant bottle of corn oil or whatever and she said “That’s a whole lotta PUFA,” lmao. The forces of evil won’t destroy my little girl, not if I can help it.