What did high dose inositol do to me?

undecided0

One of my problems is anxiety and negative thoughts. I read about inositol for anxiety, etc and I took 15g for two days. During those two days I felt the GABA effects but also nearly disassociated so I had to stop.

It’s been ten days now and I still feel it’s effects except they’re very positive. The only way I can describe it is colors look more vibrant, higher libido, and less neurotic. I feel emotions more - I used to be able to but became a little numb a while ago and I’m not sure why. Kind of the opposite of what I felt while I was actively taking it. Why did two days of inositol have seemingly permanent effects on me?

Also, does anyone know the effects of inositol on gut? During the two days something was happening to my gut almost like antibiotics.

OP
undecided0

undecided0

Sorry! I should have been more descriptive. During the two days, I experienced zero anxiety, like there was a shield between me and any negative thought. Also felt dopaminergic, maybe a little too much.
But on the second day I started to disassociate pretty bad, couldn’t stay awake, and my eyes were producing a lot of mucous where if I closed them they would actually stick together. I thought something bad was happening so I dropped it.

Over the next ten days I felt like my brain lit up in a way it hasn’t since I was in my late teenage years. My brain feels quicker, everything is brighter, and I feel more connected to people. My libido, which wasn’t terrible before but maybe a little numbed, has returned full force. More human is a way id describe these effects. Overall happy this happened but looking into what could cause these long lasting effects

PeskyPeater

Interesting. When I lookup the neuropharmacology of it [inositol] It seems to increase 5HT [serotonin] sensitivity. Now this is probably b/c of reduced activityy of 5HT and in response the complex upregulates. A procces that increased release of GABA the calming neurotransmitter. And GABA can use serotonin and affect its metabolism. Also inositol is known to strengthen the dopamine complex making it more sensitive. So it seems to me it acts kind of like reserpine, it reduces over activity of the neuro aminos and in response the brain wants homeostasis so it increases the expression or density of the affected neurons

PeskyPeater

You indicate having maybe too much dopamine effect. But I think this is incorrect. Dopamine is a feel good and give calming energy, while noradrenaline is the body activating, increasing locomotor activity. [one of the] things that inositol doesnt directly affect is noradrenaline. So I suspect you have those negative issues via a relative over activity of noradrenaline that in turn can affect dopamine which is know to cause depersonalizing effects.

P

Peatness

It's anti-inflammatory

Pro-metabolism

And someone has a patent on it - not sure how this is possible seeing that it's a vitamin

OP
undecided0

undecided0

You indicate having maybe too much dopamine effect. But I think this is incorrect. Dopamine is a feel good and give calming energy, while noradrenaline is the body activating, increasing locomotor activity. [one of the] things that inositol doesnt directly affect is noradrenaline. So I suspect you have those negative issues via a relative over activity of noradrenaline that in turn can affect dopamine which is know to cause depersonalizing effects.
What do you suggest in this case? It would explain my anxiety all of the time

Yonebayashian

I have also had permanent effects from inositol. I would take 3g a day for a year or so. It was overall extremely positive with two weird side effects of not being able to tolerate coffee at all and getting heart palpitations if I did consume it and waking up randomly in the middle of the night every night. I tried to get of of it and then just felt absolutely miserable and like I was dying so I went back onto it again. Then I nutrient maxed on the primal diet and was able to get off of it and be fine which makes me suspect that it depletes some nutrient somewhere. Take everything I'm saying with a heavy grain of salt but I know others who've reported the coffee intolerance and sudden waking up in the middle of the night. I can still barely tolerate coffee other than very occasionally. I think I read somewhere that coffee and inositol are antagonistic to each other. Your body stores and holds onto the inositol you take for quite a while so maybe it got used to the high dose and sudden inhibition from coffee just messed me up. I'm not really even drinking coffee anymore so maybe I should go back onto it, I only got off of it again because I was anti supplement in general for a while but I'm over that.

I know someone who is an alcoholic who suffered in the past from benzo addiction, I wonder if inositol would help with that as a GABA promoting replacement. My fear though is that they will just drink excessively and use inositol.

I started using inositol initially because I got it for someone who had OCD and just out of curiosity tried some myself and felt intense mental calm and quiet that I was immediately hooked and then went on a years long search for other supplements but nothing really helped so immediately and robustly as inositol. Definitely one of the best out there.

Fertility is a general health biomarker so if it's just generally making you more fertile it's a really good sign.

OP
undecided0

undecided0

A simple DIY in the kitchen solution would be capsules of ground licorice and ginger root or ingest them with milk

Ginger compounds affect the glutamine-glutamate- GABA metabolism, reducing the glutamate level and increase GABA synthesis (Waggas, 2009). Ginger also increases GABA in the hippocampus and the frontal cortex.

Potentiating effect of glabridin from Glycyrrhiza glabra on GABAA receptors
Sure, thank you for the recommendation. I suppose I should have asked what would be an immediate cause of this? Of course, metabolism, diet, thyroid, etc are all candidates but what would cause me to be susceptible to higher glutamate/lower GABA at least this significantly? Perhaps this question is too general but if you know some immediate causes, deficiencies, etc it would be appreciated. I know B6 is involved, although P5P stopped helping after a day or two.

This is a question I haven’t been able to word and is to anyone if they could guide me in the right direction - psychologically speaking I am able to calm myself down sometimes. Is it wrong to believe I can influence this whole system by changing my thinking and thought patterns? Or it only the other way around - bad balance of GABA/glutamate/etc only leads to anxious thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
undecided0

undecided0

I have also had permanent effects from inositol. I would take 3g a day for a year or so. It was overall extremely positive with two weird side effects of not being able to tolerate coffee at all and getting heart palpitations if I did consume it and waking up randomly in the middle of the night every night. I tried to get of of it and then just felt absolutely miserable and like I was dying so I went back onto it again. Then I nutrient maxed on the primal diet and was able to get off of it and be fine which makes me suspect that it depletes some nutrient somewhere. Take everything I'm saying with a heavy grain of salt but I know others who've reported the coffee intolerance and sudden waking up in the middle of the night. I can still barely tolerate coffee other than very occasionally. I think I read somewhere that coffee and inositol are antagonistic to each other. Your body stores and holds onto the inositol you take for quite a while so maybe it got used to the high dose and sudden inhibition from coffee just messed me up. I'm not really even drinking coffee anymore so maybe I should go back onto it, I only got off of it again because I was anti supplement in general for a while but I'm over that.

I know someone who is an alcoholic who suffered in the past from benzo addiction, I wonder if inositol would help with that as a GABA promoting replacement. My fear though is that they will just drink excessively and use inositol.

I started using inositol initially because I got it for someone who had OCD and just out of curiosity tried some myself and felt intense mental calm and quiet that I was immediately hooked and then went on a years long search for other supplements but nothing really helped so immediately and robustly as inositol. Definitely one of the best out there.

Fertility is a general health biomarker so if it's just generally making you more fertile it's a really good sign.
Interesting. Did you experience dissociation at higher doses? Along with the sleepiness? Or constipation? These are the sides I got during those two days.

I’ve had dissociation before when smoking marijuana but this time there’s no anxiety along with it because of inositols GABA effects.

Yonebayashian

Yeah it's commonly known to cause constipation. I don't really know about dissociation. I can't say I haven't had dissociation but I don't know if it's connected to inositol.

OP
undecided0

undecided0

Yeah it's commonly known to cause constipation. I don't really know about dissociation. I can't say I haven't had dissociation but I don't know if it's connected to inositol.
Thanks. My last question is did it remain effective above your baseline throughout the whole year you took it? Or did you build a tolerance?

Yonebayashian

Effective baseline. Inositol is an actual psuedovitamin. It doesn't have a direct "just increase GABA" affect like benzos do. The body already has inositol inside of it and understands how to utilize it. The problem is taking it in a isolated high dose supplement. If I remember correctly it's in a lot of vegetables, maybe the more safe way to take it along with however many other beneficial vitamins and psuedovitamins are to just drink a lot of vegetable juces.

PeskyPeater

Sure, thank you for the recommendation. I suppose I should have asked what would be an immediate cause of this? Of course, metabolism, diet, thyroid, etc are all candidates but what would cause me to be susceptible to higher glutamate/lower GABA at least this significantly? Perhaps this question is too general but if you know some immediate causes, deficiencies, etc it would be appreciated. I know B6 is involved, although P5P stopped helping after a day or two.

This is a question I haven’t been able to word and is to anyone if they could guide me in the right direction - psychologically speaking I am able to calm myself down sometimes. Is it wrong to believe I can influence this whole system by changing my thinking and thought patterns? Or it only the other way around - bad balance of GABA/glutamate/etc only leads to anxious thoughts?
disproportionate changes in serotonin, gaba-glutamate and dopamine expression by inositol makes the neurons more sensitive to stimulation. Try to calming the brain down via GABA to reduce overstimulation while waiting for the brain to come back to homeostatis and normalize the changes. In the mean time using a substance that increases BNDF and nerve growth factor helps to make new neuro connections to speed up recovery, that also have GABA effects: progesterone, adaptogen angelica sinensis
The Antidepressant Effect of Angelica sinensis Extracts on Chronic Unpredictable Mild Stress-Induced Depression Is Mediated via the Upregulation of the BDNF Signaling Pathway in Rats

PeskyPeater

New idea for treatment: zinc, magnesium and chamomile tea (apigenin) to reduce NMDA activity and to support breakdown of inositol.

NMDA antagonists interact with 5-HT-stimulated phosphatidylinositol metabolism and impair passive avoidance retention in the rat
These results suggest that a functional interaction between glutamatergic and serotonergic pathways could exist in the brain as the blockade of NMDA-sensitive glutamate receptors potentiated 5-HT receptor-activated phosphoinositol breakdown. ...
source: Sci-Hub | NMDA antagonists interact with 5-HT-stimulated phosphatidylinositol metabolism and impair passive avoidance retention in the rat. Neuroscience Letters, 113(3), 304–308 | 10.1016/0304-3940(90)90602-6

Zinc, magnesium and NMDA receptor alterations in the hippocampus of suicide victims - PubMed.

...Our data reveal the antagonistic effect of apigenin on GABA and NMDA channels. While the inhibition on GABA receptor cannot explain the effects of the drug in vivo our data on NMDA channels reveal a new target of apigenin. A reduction of the network excitability could thus account for the sedative effects. Furthermore, our data suggest a potential neuroprotective activity of apigenin.
Apigenin modulates GABAergic and glutamatergic transmission in cultured cortical neurons - PubMed

hierundjetzt

One of my problems is anxiety and negative thoughts. I read about inositol for anxiety, etc and I took 15g for two days. During those two days I felt the GABA effects but also nearly disassociated so I had to stop.

It’s been ten days now and I still feel it’s effects except they’re very positive. The only way I can describe it is colors look more vibrant, higher libido, and less neurotic. I feel emotions more - I used to be able to but became a little numb a while ago and I’m not sure why. Kind of the opposite of what I felt while I was actively taking it. Why did two days of inositol have seemingly permanent effects on me?

Also, does anyone know the effects of inositol on gut? During the two days something was happening to my gut almost like antibiotics.
Did you take 15 g each day or altogether in 2 days? In one sitting or spread out over the day?

Frankdee20

Why did inositol at even a few grams begin to create depersonalization and anxiety in a few days for me ? It has been linked to 5HT2A and acetylcholine.

Tidal

No one really knows how inositol actually works in my opinion or appreciates the risks it has.

It has caused non stop muscle spasms, intense cognitive impairment, focus issues and dyslexia type symptoms for me after taking it for 5 weeks. And this was over a year ago and has not abated

lvysaur

I remember reading many years ago, that Inositol taken with two other substances (I think Methionine might've been one of them) is supposed to help for floaters.

I never tried it, as my floaters naturally became less severe.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals