UK Downgrades COVID-19; No Longer A High Consequence Infectious Disease

yerrag

What happened to the earthquakes, hurricanes, typhoons, volcanic eruptions, locust infestations, Syria border issues, Yemen civil war, border invasions?

Did COVID-19 wipe them all out?

pauljacob

I don't see a single reliable news source about the UK downgrade -- no BBC, no major UK papers, no NYT, no nothing.

LUH 3417

An induced birth?

A COVID-19 induced c-section birth?

That helps to tip the balance.

Way too many COVID-19 induced deaths.
The mom was positive and came down with a respiratory infection. She was forcefully intubated and had to be under constant sedation. She ended up extubating herself and quickly crashed, so there was an emergency c section even though she was more than a month away from being full term. I don’t know what the outcome was but I felt that comment by the nurse was insensitive.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The mom was positive and came down with a respiratory infection. She was forcefully intubated and had to be under constant sedation. She ended up extubating herself and quickly crashed, so there was an emergency c section even though she was more than a month away from being full term. I don’t know what the outcome was but I felt that comment by the nurse was insensitive.
Sadly it seems like a dark and insensitive sense of humor is the way some people cope with the stress of their job.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
We have only two positive cases right now and both are doing great so far despite not being forcefully intubated. One is even in his 90’s. At this point absolutely nothing seems any different than it has for the last few months except the way people are acting.

yerrag

LUH 3417

Sadly it seems like a dark and insensitive sense of humor is the way some people cope with the stress of their job.
Yes that’s very true. Sometimes I wonder if I’m being uptight or trying to be morally correct or something to make myself the imaginary good person in the situation. I just find it really repulsive, the idea of finding glory in the desperation of another persons situation. It’s one thing if the person being treated makes a hero out of the doctor. It’s similar to the news reporting how wholesome amazon has been through covid because they are employing 100k people or how Elon Musk has donated ventilators or whatever. Is it really wholesome if it’s for a personal benefit? Isn’t that exploitative? I’m not saying people shouldn’t feel gratified for doing their job well.

tankasnowgod

Is it really wholesome if it’s for a personal benefit? Isn’t that exploitative?

I personally don't think so. I'm a regular blood donor. The entire reason I started is for the iron lowering benefits. I have reaped the benefits of that the entire time, especially improved mood and energy. It's one of the things that keeps me going. It's also one of the reasons I've encouraged others to the do the same. I likely never would have started nor continued had I not reaped some benefit myself, especially at the pace I've donated. Does that make me un-wholesome or exploitative? I personally don't think so, but maybe it does. In the end, I took what could have been a huge negative for me (accumulating iron) and turned it into a positive for both myself and some people (how many, I don't know, but it's been at least five years now) who I will likely never meet or know. The only way you can help someone else out is if you have more than enough for yourself. I never would have been able to donate if I was constantly anemic, and there are people out there in that situation.

yerrag

The president of the Philippine Senate is now being pilloried for breaking quarantine rules for bringing his wife to a hospital for a c-section. Both of them are tested positive. They had already jumped ahead of the line (entitled politicians) for testing, despite the protest of a hospital director, who eventually resigned in protest.

I don't know how any ordinary couple would have acted any differently though. Had they not been tested positive, it would not have been an issue. But if they had not tested positive, they wouldn't have needed to rush for a c-section.

But this is all political. The press is predictably going to pillory him as the press is against the current administration. Not much different from the nauseating political drama that is the US of A.

1/4 - I think it would be helpful if I cleared up some confusion that has emerged in recent days. Some have interpreted my evidence to a UK parliamentary committee as indicating we have substantially revised our assessments of the potential mortality impact of COVID-19.

2/4 -This is not the case. Indeed, if anything, our latest estimates suggest that the virus is slightly more transmissible than we previously thought. Our lethality estimates remain unchanged.

3/4 - My evidence to Parliament referred to the deaths we assess might occur in the UK in the presence of the very intensive social distancing and other public health interventions now in place.

4/4 - Without those controls, our assessment remains that the UK would see the scale of deaths reported in our study (namely, up to approximately 500 thousand).

You can follow @neil_ferguson

LUH 3417

The president of the Philippine Senate is now being pilloried for breaking quarantine rules for bringing his wife to a hospital for a c-section. Both of them are tested positive. They had already jumped ahead of the line (entitled politicians) for testing, despite the protest of a hospital director, who eventually resigned in protest.

I don't know how any ordinary couple would have acted any differently though. Had they not been tested positive, it would not have been an issue. But if they had not tested positive, they wouldn't have needed to rush for a c-section.

But this is all political. The press is predictably going to pillory him as the press is against the current administration. Not much different from the nauseating political drama that is the US of A.
But why did she need an emergency c section? Even HIV positive moms can deliver vaginally. Unless the mom was in respiratory distress and the baby’s heart beat started to show signs of distress, I don’t understand the call for a stat c section.

At least he could bring her to the hospital. Most hospitals have implemented no visitor rules, which means the father can’t be present for the birth.

schultz

So RP forum believes the highly authoritarian UK government now? lol. If they put this statement out publicly, it mostly likely means the opposite is true. Did we learn nothing from the past 300 years of history?

"So RP forum believes..."

Huh? What are we like a single entity? Or like a hive mind? And yet you are on the forum, so are you including yourself in your assessment? Or do you not count?

Some other person made a similar statement like this a couple weeks ago. Is the forum not made up of individuals from around the world with differing views?

yerrag

But why did she need an emergency c section? Even HIV positive moms can deliver vaginally. Unless the mom was in respiratory distress and the baby’s heart beat started to show signs of distress, I don’t understand the call for a stat c section.

At least he could bring her to the hospital. Most hospitals have implemented no visitor rules, which means the father can’t be present for the birth.
I guess there is the fear of being intubated eventually, and wanting to have the baby delivered before that happens, and a c-section is the only way. But I can't read their minds but I'm pretty sure they not the RPF type and that's enough for them to act irrationally.

He brought her to the hospital but since they both test positive it created quite a ruckus in the hospital, and this was amplified in media. Memes galore in social media. Were they an ordinary couple dealing with the pressures of being tested positive and the wife carrying a baby, it would probably be an ordinary day at the hospital for everyone.

It reminds me of when Magic Johnson tested positive for HIV in the 90s. It was equated with AIDs. That's why our village administrator started her message with the tone of announcing someone's demise, with "great sadness" that a resident had tested positive.

LUH 3417

I guess there is the fear of being intubated eventually, and wanting to have the baby delivered before that happens, and a c-section is the only way. But I can't read their minds but I'm pretty sure they not the RPF type and that's enough for them to act irrationally.

He brought her to the hospital but since they both test positive it created quite a ruckus in the hospital, and this was amplified in media. Memes galore in social media. Were they an ordinary couple dealing with the pressures of being tested positive and the wife carrying a baby, it would probably be an ordinary day at the hospital for everyone.

It reminds me of when Magic Johnson tested positive for HIV in the 90s. It was equated with AIDs. That's why our village administrator started her message with the tone of announcing someone's demise, with "great sadness" that a resident had tested positive.
I see.
I’m still waiting for Tom Hanks to get hospitalized. Weird how none of the positive celebrities seem to be dying.

brix

The UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson just tested positive for COVID-19.

Luann

I've been waiting for the dentists to open again and their voicemails, at least in my state and the next one over (yes I got desperate), say they will re-open on 4-6. maybe just for emergencies though. but isn't that a good sign that the current restrictions aren't going to get any worse?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals