The 50 year old vegan who looks half his age

And thats what matters- if you are happy and empowered you are great. We all do what works for us. i totally agree on the nails ( cant due to chemical anyway) and makeup which i only use occasionally now. but yeah, after 50 years of diligent skin care and protection, Im ok taking the extra couple minutes to slap on a little zinc oxide on my face and neck and then go out and bask in the beautiful Ozark sunshine- as a matter of fact- getting ready to do that very soon!!! Enjoy!!!!☀️☀️☀️☀️
Isn’t zinc oxide the white stuff?

Advocate2021

Isn’t zinc oxide the white stuff?
I am currently using Mychelle body spf 50- recommended my Michelle Villet Canadian beauty editor who follows Dr. Peat. it has 21 percent zinc oxide but is the least white one i have found and i dont have a problem with the other ingredients- its the best one i have found. i used to use celtic complexion and wax head sticks and looked like a japanese kabuki woman but they worked. this one looks better but does not stay on as well since thinner and i sweat quite a bit so have to reapply more. But nice to be able to look more normal. Im wearing al little of it in my current picture here- although that was taken in the evening and most of it had worn off. So it can almost work a little like foundation which i do not use.

I am currently using Mychelle body spf 50- recommended my Michelle Villet Canadian beauty editor who follows Dr. Peat. it has 21 percent zinc oxide but is the least white one i have found and i dont have a problem with the other ingredients- its the best one i have found. i used to use celtic complexion and wax head sticks and looked like a japanese kabuki woman but they worked. this one looks better but does not stay on as well since thinner and i sweat quite a bit so have to reapply more. But nice to be able to look more normal. Im wearing al little of it in my current picture here- although that was taken in the evening and most of it had worn off. So it can almost work a little like foundation which i do not use.
My hair color could not afford a pale faced look, even liquid and pancake foundation looks awful on me. Less is better for me. I think I look ridiculous with colored lips and nails too, and even more so as I have gotten older.

Advocate2021

My hair color could not afford a pale faced look, even liquid and pancake foundation looks awful on me. Less is better for me. I think I look ridiculous with colored lips and nails too, and even more so as I have gotten older.
i agree about less is more. i find i look better without makeup now- its aging and generally dont wear it. sometimes just eyebrow color, a little upper non toxic mascara, blush and a little non toxic lip color like what i have here. the zinc oxide sunscreens to come in tints for different skin tones to avoid the whitening. i think some are ok terms of being non toxic. Be there is a way to mix color in with a food source- will have to think on that- that could be fun. organic cocoa powder?

Jennifer

i agree about less is more. i find i look better without makeup now- its aging and generally dont wear it. sometimes just eyebrow color, a little upper non toxic mascara, blush and a little non toxic lip color like what i have here. the zinc oxide sunscreens to come in tints for different skin tones to avoid the whitening. i think some are ok terms of being non toxic. Be there is a way to mix color in with a food source- will have to think on that- that could be fun. organic cocoa powder?

The zinc sunscreen I use comes in a version that’s tinted with cocoa powder:

Advocate2021

The zinc sunscreen I use comes in a version that’s tinted with cocoa powder:

Wow thanks!! that looks so clean! how does the non tinted look when you apply - is it pretty white? do you know the percentage of zinc oxide as do not see that there. supposed to be at least 20 percent i believe for optimal protection.

Jennifer

You’re welcome, @Advocate2021. :) The original leaves a slight white cast, but I can’t quite tell by your photos if your skin is as fair as mine so you might find the tinted blends in a bit better for you. The percentage of zinc oxide is 23%:

“The percentage of Zinc Oxide is 23% in our SPF 30 sunscreens, and 10% in our SPF 20 sunscreens.”

Advocate2021

You’re welcome, @Advocate2021. :) The original leaves a slight white cast, but I can’t quite tell by your photos if your skin is as fair as mine so you might find the tinted blends in a bit better for you. The percentage of zinc oxide is 23%:

“The percentage of Zinc Oxide is 23% in our SPF 30 sunscreens, and 10% in our SPF 20 sunscreens.”

23 percent is amazing! Ordering for sure! i like being fair so probably will order the non tinted. I think Im probably pinker than you with freckles. you look more ivory and i think you said you can tan? i dont tan at all, only burn.

lvysaur

Lots of good comparisons out there that a diet with animal proteins is better than just plant based for a youthful look.
I hate the term "plant based" diet, it's such a western term
Almost all diets are plant based, including most omnivore ones

anyway I think that eating a lot of raw fruits and certain raw veggies (onions, and near-fruits like cucumbers) is probably beneficial, and maybe that's what causes the vegan youthfulness. When I eat Japanese cucumbers in particular I feel very young and androgenic. I think normal varieties might work too, but the Japanese one has flesh that seems much more substantial, and probably has a higher density of minerals/vitamins

I think today’s elderly got a good head start eating meat and dairy that was grass fed
Yes, that is a major reason why many elderly people today look "good for their age"

I'm a millennial, and it's insane how different zoomers look. Many look very estrogenized in the face, also in the buttocks obviously, and a lot of them have TONS of moles (another estrogenic feature). My guess is plastic consumption and its neonatal effects

Last edited:

Advocate2021

I hate the term "plant based" diet, it's such a western term
Almost all diets are plant based, including most omnivore ones

anyway I think that eating a lot of raw fruits and certain raw veggies (onions, and near-fruits like cucumbers) is probably beneficial, and maybe that's what causes the vegan youthfulness. When I eat Japanese cucumbers in particular I feel very young and androgenic. I think normal varieties might work too, but the Japanese one has flesh that seems much more substantial, and probably has a higher density of minerals/vitamins

Yes, that is a major reason why many elderly people today look "good for their age"

I'm a millennial, and it's insane how different zoomers look. Many look very estrogenized in the face, also in the buttocks obviously, and a lot of them have TONS of moles (another estrogenic feature). My guess is plastic consumption and its neonatal effects
Funny, i dont get this idea of "vegan youthfulness". Every vegan i have ever encountered over the age of 35 looks like a shriveled up prune for the most part.Any "youthful vegan" certainly under 40 is not an indication as 20's and 30's are young and people generally look young. the true test is after 40. i would love to see examples of vegans 40 plus that look youthful and healthy. the example that started this thread is not good and although the skin on that guy is not wrinkled , he does not look healthy at all and very unappealing in my opinion. would not use him as a glowing example of veganism. ive never met a healthy glowing vegan sorry and the 20 year old ones dont count=- if you dont look youthful in your 20's something very wrong even if you eat crap- even the crap eating ones look young- see them every day.

Waynish

At least 10% of the men on this forum could crush that "man" with one hand and likely break a bone. A lot of mental illness going around.

Jennifer

23 percent is amazing! Ordering for sure! i like being fair so probably will order the non tinted. I think Im probably pinker than you with freckles. you look more ivory and i think you said you can tan? i dont tan at all, only burn.

Gotcha. You probably won’t mind the non tinted then. Knowing how sensitive you are, I really hope you don’t suffer a reaction to it.

Jessie

Lol, I thought this person was a woman until I clicked on the article. I may not live as long as this person, but at least I'll "punch my ticket" knowing I could grow a beard. :tearsofjoy:

EDIT: In all seriousness though, I'm not some knee-jerker against vegan diets. I think they can be well planned, but most of them seem to eat a lot of phosphate, phytates, and low protein. A recipe for hypothyroidism and hypogonadism.

Jennifer

Do you also supplement k2 with your vitamin d? Or are the amounts from dairy/eggs enough?

I supplement with high vitamin butter oil. I don’t eat liver so the butter oil gives me a concentration of all the fat soluble vitamins. It’s one thing I took from my time following the Weston A. Price Foundation’s recommendations. When I reintroduced it, my teeth and nails improved. For example, a crack in my toenail that I’ve had since childhood has been growing out. It went all they way down to the cuticle and here you can see that there is no crack in the new growth:

B6A35597-8665-4E16-8F8A-103E4727779A.jpeg 75FCE414-3AC6-4C1F-AE25-A1B5F1567F86.jpeg C7686D87-0ABE-40A0-A55E-59EA47590335.jpeg

Jennifer

EDIT: In all seriousness though, I'm not some knee-jerker against vegan diets. I think they can be well planned, but most of them seem to eat a lot of phosphate, phytates, and low protein. A recipe for hypothyroidism and hypogonadism.

Yes, some seem to do fine as a vegan, however, it’s hard not to eat a lot of phosphate (relative to calcium) when trying to get adequate amounts of protein. I ate a higher amount of protein when I first went vegan, and supplemented with B12, and I still ended up looking like an Oompa Loompa—one of my signs that my thyroid was struggling. I see it a lot in the vegan community. Even those focused on higher protein intakes will often have orange palms and orange around their mouths. Since discovering Ray, it’s one of the first things I spot now. With all the fiber one inevitably gets with the diet, it’s difficult to keep cholesterol at a healthy level for hormone production, and it’s hard not to overdo beta carotene, especially when trying to get an adequate amount of calcium from plants alone. Just the inclusion of some responsibly produced and harvested bivalves (considered non-sentient) and/or eggs from backyard hens could do wonders, in my opinion and experience. The problem is there is so much misinformation promoted in the vegan community, even from the plant-based doctors. One of the worst being that the lower one’s cholesterol level is the better.

Jessie

Yes, some seem to do fine as a vegan, however, it’s hard not to eat a lot of phosphate (relative to calcium) when trying to get adequate amounts of protein. I ate a higher amount of protein when I first went vegan, and supplemented with B12, and I still ended up looking like an Oompa Loompa—one of my signs that my thyroid was struggling. I see it a lot in the vegan community. Even those focused on higher protein intakes will often have orange palms and orange around their mouths. Since discovering Ray, it’s one of the first things I spot now. With all the fiber one inevitably gets with the diet, it’s difficult to keep cholesterol at a healthy level for hormone production, and it’s hard not to overdo beta carotene, especially when trying to get an adequate amount of calcium from plants alone. Just the inclusion of some responsibly produced and harvested bivalves (considered non-sentient) and/or eggs from backyard hens could do wonders, in my opinion and experience. The problem is there is so much misinformation promoted in the vegan community, even from the plant-based doctors. One of the worst being that the lower one’s cholesterol level is the better.
Yeah, If I had to go vegan for some weird reason I would probably just try a fruit-based diet. That would be the easiest way to keep the phosphate to a somewhat acceptable level. However you'd still have to find protein from somewhere. Pea-protein is actually pretty good, but I don't know how much you'd need to make like a 100 grams a day. Probably a lot.

Yeah I didn't even think about the beta carotene, that's going to be almost unavoidable. Even when trying to "optimize" the approach there's going to be areas where one has to concede that it isn't exactly optimal.

I think most of the vegan doctors I've seen talking about cholesterol still have that old-school belief that our arteries are like pipe drains. You know, "when you pour tallow down a sink drain it clogs, that's happening inside of you." Even if they don't say it, their ways of approaching the problem indicates that's still how they think.

Nevermind the fact that if they just kept the metabolism in a healthy high state, the lipids would naturally stay at a healthy level. They have this sort of reverse spin on the situation, thinking it's better to suppress LDL when in fact it's better to increase LDL turnover into pregnenolone. Even when the cholesterol is low, if it's just circulating in the serum and never being used for steroidogenesis, it's going to eventually oxidize.

Last edited:

aniciete

I supplement with high vitamin butter oil. I don’t eat liver so the butter oil gives me a concentration of all the fat soluble vitamins. It’s one thing I took from my time following the Weston A. Price Foundation’s recommendations. When I reintroduced it, my teeth and nails improved. For example, a crack in my toenail that I’ve had since childhood has been growing out. It went all they way down to the cuticle and here you can see that there is no crack in the new growth:

View attachment 47607 View attachment 47608 View attachment 47609
Wow that’s great to hear, thank you for the info! I never heard of butter oil but I’ll look into it further. I’ve never really supplemented d3 but I think a lot of issues I’ve had are due to a long term vitamin d deficiency which I’ve tested low for.

I read recently that ray stopped recommending k2 supplements due to them being allergenic. He recommended aged cheese, yolks, milk, and well cooked greens.

Jennifer

Yeah, If I had to go vegan for some weird reason I would probably just try a fruit-based diet. That would be the easiest way to keep the phosphate to a somewhat acceptable level. However you'd still have to find protein from somewhere. Pea-protein is actually pretty good, but I don't know how much you'd need to make like a 100 grams a day. Probably a lot.

Yeah I didn't even think about the beta carotene, that's going to be almost unavoidable. Even when trying to "optimize" the approach there's going to be areas where one has to concede that it isn't exactly optimal.

I tried fruit-based with pea protein. Maybe I’m just sensitive, but it caused so much intestinal discomfort and gas. I also tried fruit-based with potato juice and when that didn’t work, I tried it with organic sprouted tofu and a locally produced one made the traditional way using nigari as the coagulant and after two months of daily consumption, I had developed chronically sore breasts and a lump, which is a shame because I really liked the Japanese tofu. I also looked into making peanut curd like they do in Indian, but I was unable to source sprouted and defatted peanut flour. I tried every tweak I could think of to make fruit-based work long-term, but by the 3 year mark the deficiencies set in. If I were forced to go fruit-based again and wanted to keep phosphorus low, I wouldn’t choose plants for protein, I would choose gelatin, however, I’ve done it and it didn’t work out well, either. I lost muscle mass. I compared different plant and animal protein sources based on 100 g, the minimum amount of protein Ray told me in an email that he recommended, and some plants are higher in phosphorus and the inflammatory amino acids than animal protein.

Nevermind the fact that if they just kept the metabolism in a healthy high state, the lipids would naturally stay at a healthy level. They have this sort of reverse spin on the situation, thinking it's better to suppose LDL when in fact it's better to increase LDL turnover into pregnenolone. Even when the cholesterol is low, if it's just circulating in the serum and never being used for steroidogenesis, it's going to eventually oxidize.

Exactly!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals