Principles Of Human Physiology (1920)

Dante

Not only that, but due to not knowing enough of the details, the author had rely on the basics, and develop the book on the fundamental things. That way, it's a much easier read, and could be an introduction to other (more complex) recent books on physiology.
@Amazoniac , which (more complex ) recent books do you recommend , a lot of books of amazon seem like clinical endocrinology/physology type books (more of like this dieases this elevation in this test and blah blah) , few look like based on principles.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

@Amazoniac , which (more complex ) recent books do you recommend , a lot of books of amazon seem like clinical endocrinology/physology type books (more of like this dieases this elevation in this test and blah blah) , few look like based on principles.
By more complex I mean compared to the older knowledge, because as scientists discover more details, they tend to miss the bigger picture and fail explain the basics. It's the impression that I have from reading recent books on physiology.

As far as I know, these two are very popular and widely used, I skimmed through both before and found the second one better and more comprehensible, but my spine is erect and I have more questions than answers:
Principles of Human Physiology - Stanfield
Human Physiology: An Integrated Approach - Silverthorn

I think that there are other suggestions on the Book Recommendations section, here on the forum; and people with severe spinal problems that you should contact if you want better opinions.

Here are sample chapters from the first and second books:
https://www.pearsonhighered.com/assets/samplechapter/0/1/3/4/0134169042.pdf
https://www.pearsonhighered.com/con...verthorn-7e-info/pdf/sample-chapter--ch04.pdf

Last edited:

Rafe

The fecal matter explanation is an interesting correction. I guess I thought fecal matter was unused food & bacteria eating that. As if the body only used the "good" & nutritious parts of food, separated these good & bad or usable & unusable parts, discarded the rest. The body needs so much more nutrition than I thought it did. Absent that, well, so much trouble.

That, and the dogs with the fluid fat made me think they needed dog sweaters, like the pig sweaters. Well, until they were sacrificed to see whether they needed them or not.

Dante

By more complex I mean compared to the older knowledge, because as scientists discover more details, they tend to miss the bigger picture and fail explain the basics. It's the impression that I have from reading recent books on physiology.

As far as I know, these two are very popular and widely used, I skimmed through both before and found the second one better and more comprehensible, but my spine is erect and I have more questions than answers:
Principles of Human Physiology - Stanfield
Human Physiology: An Integrated Approach - Silverthorn

I think that there are other suggestions on the Book Recommendations section, here on the forum; and people with severe spinal problems that you should contact if you want better opinions.

Here are sample chapters from the first and second books:
https://www.pearsonhighered.com/assets/samplechapter/0/1/3/4/0134169042.pdf
https://www.pearsonhighered.com/con...verthorn-7e-info/pdf/sample-chapter--ch04.pdf
Wow, Both the books are colorful and have a lot of pictures . Perfect for reading. I will follow you and read the second one. Are their any sodium pumps here ( looking at TOC doesn't seem like it)

Last edited:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Wow, Both the books are colorful and have a lot of pictures . Perfect for reading. I will follow you and read the second one. Are their any sodium pumps here ( looking at TOC doesn't seem like it)
If you learn better through imagens, then try to find an atlas on physiology like zyzz one:
http://course.sdu.edu.cn/G2S/eWebEditor/uploadfile/20130328161819736.pdf

Pumps, receptors, etc, are everywhere for everything. I doubt that you'll find some related material today that doesn't have many misconceptions according to Ray. That's why I find it better to use an old book, like the one posted, along with Ray writings to get a better picture and then move to recent books on physiology because you'll be able to understand and filter things better, otherwise I think you'll need to unlearn a lot of things later.

Khan Academy

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

"The only constituent of the milk for which we have direct evidence of alteration by changes in the food supply of the mother is the fat. It is well known that the composition of butter may be affected according to the food supplied to the cow. A large supply of oilcake, for instance, may result in the production of a butter which is deficient in the higher fatty acids and is therefore oily at ordinary temperatures. Abnormal fats and fatty acids such as iodised fats or erucic acid, when administered to an animal in lactation, may appear among the fats of the milk."

@Makrosky

Dante

If you learn better through imagens, then try to find an atlas on physiology like zyzz one:
http://course.sdu.edu.cn/G2S/eWebEditor/uploadfile/20130328161819736.pdf

Pumps, receptors, etc, are everywhere for everything. I doubt that you'll find some related material today that doesn't have many misconceptions according to Ray. That's why I find it better to use an old book, like the one posted, along with Ray writings to get a better picture and then move to recent books on physiology because you'll be able to understand and filter things better, otherwise I think you'll need to unlearn a lot of things later.

Khan Academy
No problems with receptors, from what i have read they are just proteins that binds to hormones/substances and produce responses but 2 different ligands can act through the same receptors and product entirely different responses. Many- to -many relationship as we call in set theory. I think Ray's concern is that it's an unnecesaary abstraction and substances like estrogen according to him can produce responses irrespective of their interaction with receptors

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

On glands and hormones

"Stimulation of the peripheral end of the splanchnic nerve causes, as we have already seen, a discharge of adrenaline into the blood stream. This discharge accounts for the secondary rise, often accompanied with quickening of the heart, observed on a bloodptessure tracing as the result of stimulating the splanchnic nerve. Through the splanchnic nerves a discharge of adrenaline can be excited by many general conditions, such as pressure on the brain, puncture of the fourth ventricle, administration of anaesthetics, mental disturbances such as excitement or fright. Such a discharge is an important element in the adaptation to environmental stress and enables the animal to react for the preservation of its life either by offence or flight."

"On removing the transplanted thyroid, the typical symptoms of thyroid destruction at once ensued. It was later found that similar good results could be obtained by subcutaneous injection of the expressed juice of the thyroid, and later that even this was not necessary, -and that it was sufficient to administer the thyroid gland, either fresh, dried, or partially cooked, by the mouth. The administration of the thyroid gland in this way is indeed one of the therapeutic triumphs of the last twenty years. An ugly and idiotic cretin can be converted by this means into a child of ordinary intelligence with normal powers of growth (Fig. 560). Given to myxcedemic patients, the thyroid gland reduces the swelling of the subcutaneous tissues, causes a new growth of hair, and restores the patient to his or her former state of mental health. Nor is the thyroid gland without influence on the healthy individual. If given in large doses either to man or animals, it quickens the pulse, even causing violent palpitation, and increases the metabolic activities of the body, so that the appetite is increased, the nitrogenous output rises above the intake, and the subcutaneous fat is diminished or disappears. It is possible that a moderate degree of thyroid inadequacy is not infrequent and that the beneficial effects on general health, in removing excessive corpulence and in promoting the growth of hair, which are observed on administering the drug to people of middle life, may be due to the actual replacement of a function which is being insufficiently discharged. The symptoms caused by excessive doses of thyroid gland are strikingly similar to those occurring in the disease known as exophthalmic goitre, where there is a true hypertrophy of the gland associated with can liar palpitation, proptosis (bulging of the eyes), wasting, and muscular weakness."

"It seems possible that it is identical with a substance containing iodine in organic combination, which was isolated by Baumann from the thyroid gland and is known as iodothyrin. In certain experiments the results of administration of iodothyrin were found to be identical with those obtained by giving the whole gland. Doubt has been thrown on the specific nature of this body on account of the fact that iodine may be wanting in the thyroid gland in certain animals, though Keid Hunt has shown that the physiological effects of thyroid extract are proportional to the amount of iodine contained therein."

"Forsyth has shown that, in man, the situation of the parathyroids corresponds almost exactly with the places in which are found occasionally accessory thyroids; and according to Edmunds, after excision of the thyroid, the parathyroids undergo histological alteration and are converted into thyroid tissue, the cells taking on an alveolar arrangement and producing colloid material. According to this view the parathyroids would represent simply immature thyroid tissue. On the other hand, it has been suggested (Biedl) that the parathyroids have a function entirely distinct from that of the thyroid gland, removal of the thyroids producing simply a condition of cachexia and the changes associated with myxoadema, while removal of the parathyroids is responsible for the nervous disturbances and tetany observed after total extirpation of these organs. The matter cannot yet be regarded as definitely settled."

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

No problems with receptors, from what i have read they are just proteins that binds to hormones/substances and produce responses but 2 different ligands can act through the same receptors and product entirely different responses. Many- to -many relationship as we call in set theory. I think Ray's concern is that it's an unnecesaary abstraction and substances like estrogen according to him can produce responses irrespective of their interaction with receptors
I mean the idea of various receptors for each compound..

Dante

On glands and hormones

"On removing the transplanted thyroid, the typical symptoms of thyroid destruction at once ensued. It was later found that similar good results could be obtained by subcutaneous injection of the expressed juice of the thyroid, and later that even this was not necessary, -and that it was sufficient to administer the thyroid gland, either fresh, dried, or partially cooked, by the mouth. The administration of the thyroid gland in this way is indeed one of the therapeutic triumphs of the last twenty years. An ugly and idiotic cretin can be converted by this means into a child of ordinary intelligence with normal powers of growth "
@Amazoniac , i might be a cretin for not properly understanding this but is it implicated that thyroid glandular, or consumption of cooked animal thyroid can regenerate a sluggish/improperly developed thyroid in human ?

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

@Amazoniac , i might be a cretin for not properly understanding this but is it implicated that thyroid glandular, or consumption of cooked animal thyroid can regenerate a sluggish/improperly developed thyroid in human ?
As far as I know, yes to compensate; but to regenerate, since impaired thyroid is usually a consequence of something else, you must correct that for it to work in the long-term. The last sentence, I think that the hormone is constantly given as a therapeutic way to compensate for the lack of it.

Makrosky

"The only constituent of the milk for which we have direct evidence of alteration by changes in the food supply of the mother is the fat. It is well known that the composition of butter may be affected according to the food supplied to the cow. A large supply of oilcake, for instance, may result in the production of a butter which is deficient in the higher fatty acids and is therefore oily at ordinary temperatures. Abnormal fats and fatty acids such as iodised fats or erucic acid, when administered to an animal in lactation, may appear among the fats of the milk."

@Makrosky
@Amazoniac

Thanks Amazingoniac! May you be rewarded with a bottle full of the gods secret nectar : pboyorine

By the way... Doesn't that paragraph you quoted contradict Peat's ideas ? That no matter what kind of fat the ruminants are given, they transform it into saturated fat.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

@Amazoniac

Thanks Amazingoniac! May you be rewarded with a bottle full of the gods secret nectar : pboyorine

By the way... Doesn't that paragraph you quoted contradict Peat's ideas ? That no matter what kind of fat the ruminants are given, they transform it into saturated fat.
I hope so. charlie offers coupons for romantic dates with pboy for every thousand post increment, you're almost there.
Now less importantly, I don't know much about their biohydrogenation capacity but I'm sure there's a limit that bacteria can process. A diet that lacks enough quality fiber in itself probably causes unfavorable changes in their rumens that reflect on their fats..

tara

Is the author referring to ruminant milk?
I thought Peat's point was that ruminants have a significant capacity for converting the PUFAs in their natural foods to MUFAs and SFAs, but that it can still be overwhelmed - it might not keep up - if there are more PUFAs from unsuitable supplements?

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

"The term colloid, from <unreplicable>, -glue, was first introduced by Thomas Graham, Professor of Chemistry at University College from 1836 to 1855. Graham divided all substances into two classes, viz. crystalloids, including such substances as salt, sugar, urea, which could be crystallised with ease, diffused rapidly through water, and were capable of diffusing through animal membranes; and colloids, which included substances such as gelatin or glue, gum, egg-albumin, starch and dextrin, were non-crystallisable, formed gummy masses when their solutions were evaporated to dryness, diffused with extreme slowness through water, and would not pass through animal membranes."

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

"By supplying the vitamins in concentrated forms we have studied the nutritive value of diets which were essentially devoid of true fats. Unless a minute amount of fat plays as important a role in the metabolism of the organism as do minute quantities of substances represented by the vitamins, it seems reasonable to assume that pure fats are dispensable constituents of the mammalian diet."
"On the other hand, our experiments should not be construed to minimize the great value of fats as a source of energy in the usual human dietary, as well as their peculiar advantage in culinary procedures."

"Assuming that these investigators are right, and that we can satisfactorily secure our calories from carbohydrate alone, provided we supply the substances other than fuel that natural fats may carry, is it equally true that we could get all our calories from fats? The answer to this question is sharply "No!" We have learned that while carbohydrates are completely burned in the body, without the assistance of any other nutrient, the amount of fat that we can burn with equal completeness is determined in part by the presence of carbohydrate. Furthermore, if the carbohydrate is not adequate, the partially burned fat products enter the blood and prove distinctly toxic to the system."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals