Peata's Log For Weight Loss & Misc

narouz

Peata said:
narouz said:
Peata-
Where are you at, where have you been on the basics,
temperature and pulse?
I'm sorry if you've posted that info before and I've missed it.

Unfortunately I haven't kept good pulse and temp records. I did record some over the last few days, whatever this will tell you if anything.

Sat.
11:40 a.m.
pulse 80
temp 97.7

2:42 p.m.

Sun.
2:10 p.m.

Mon.
12:55 p.m.

Thanks, Peata.
Looks pretty decent.
It would be interesting to see some morning readings,
before you get out of bed if possible.

Peata said:

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement.

When you said liver pain, can you describe it? (ache, burning, etc)

I had a continuous dull ache on my right side, sort of high up underneath my rib cage and it hurt to press on it (pain became sharper upon pressing)....developed when I started Peating went on for many months.

I lived on this stuff, it's light and refreshing yet very filling. Make and eat as much as you need for your individual requirements. Remember cucumbers and tomatoes are fruits, so it's not unPeaty. Also, onions are root veg. (Peatyish too) and add a nice flavor, if you don't like onions you can leave them out. Purple onions make the salad very visually appealing and sweet onions are delish. Use only nice ripe tomatoes.

INGREDIENTS:
Mix thoroughly in a giant bowl...
1.5 CUPS of cubed vine ripened tomato
1 LARGE (8.5") cucumber, peeled, seeded and cubed
1/2 CUP more or less to your taste, diced raw sweet or purple onion
16 OZ. fresh cooked shrimp (I buy the wild caught stuff from Costco that is already cooked and chilled, but cooked previously frozen works great too)
1 TBS. or more to taste of red wine or rice wine vinegar
1 tsp. sea salt or salt individual portion to taste
Ground black pepper to taste if you do that sort of thing

Plug the ingredients into the recipe maker on Cron-O and you'll see this has a whopping 100 grams of protein, only 6 grams of fat and only 545 calories for the ENTIRE batch and it's loaded with nutrients.

Obviously I don't eat the whole thing in one sitting, but I can certainly pound down close to half of it (500 grams) and feel nice and stuffed for only 246 calories and less than 3 grams of fat. If you don't like red wine or rice wine vinegar you can use freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice instead.

It tastes best freshly made, starts to go watery if left in the fridge as the salt pulls the moisture from the veg. Maybe make a batch and share with family or a friend so it gets eaten at one sitting. A bowl of home made jello goes along nicely if you're still hungry.

Amazoniac

Peata said:
Amazoniac said:
Peata,

The reason I suggested testing is because it will save you a lot of time compared self diagnose.
Antibiotics are not selective, if your problem has to do with missing strains/colonies you will create even more problems.
Try eating fermented foods (at least their juice if you can't handle them) and supplement with Prescript Assist. Both of these after episodes of diarrhea (even if you purposedly induce them) to help with introducing missing organisms. Also both of them taken before a meal to take advantage of the stomach not being so acidic and followed by substrate for those new organisms. Fermented dairy won't make much difference except a bit of improvement in bowel movements.
I don't want to sound pessimistic but your experiment probably won't solve the problem, just offer relief. If you eat by hunger, it should be clear when you are satisfied, and if satiation comes with excess of any nutrient you are possibly competing for it.

Messtafarian, consider the same test also. Ketogenic diets work with some infections because you don't have to compete for energy, generally bacterial infections, that could be located even in the brain.

Soon I'm going to be banned from forums for being suspect of commercial interest considering how many times I suggest the Genova lab. Haha!

I did focus on GI issues in the thread, but I could have just as easily focused on the hormonal stuff because it's been there all along too. But I will keep the Genova lab info to discuss with GI doc when I see her next month. I've been having various tests done by her and have more to come at the end of the month.

Do you think the probiotic will help regardless?

Over-the-counter I don't. Fermented foods or soil based organisms I do think it's worth a try, especially due to the risk being low in ingesting them. In the worst case you'll have a severe diarrhea and soon are going to be back to normal. Depending on your reaction you could have another clue for you diagnostic.

Amazoniac

thebigpeatowski said:
I lived on this stuff, it's light and refreshing yet very filling. Make and eat as much as you need for your individual requirements. Remember cucumbers and tomatoes are fruits, so it's not unPeaty. Also, onions are root veg. (Peatyish too) and add a nice flavor, if you don't like onions you can leave them out. Purple onions make the salad very visually appealing and sweet onions are delish. Use only nice ripe tomatoes.

INGREDIENTS:
Mix thoroughly in a giant bowl...
1.5 CUPS of cubed vine ripened tomato
1 LARGE (8.5") cucumber, peeled, seeded and cubed
1/2 CUP more or less to your taste, diced raw sweet or purple onion
16 OZ. fresh cooked shrimp (I buy the wild caught stuff from Costco that is already cooked and chilled, but cooked previously frozen works great too)
1 TBS. or more to taste of red wine or rice wine vinegar
1 tsp. sea salt or salt individual portion to taste
Ground black pepper to taste if you do that sort of thing

Plug the ingredients into the recipe maker on Cron-O and you'll see this has a whopping 100 grams of protein, only 6 grams of fat and only 545 calories for the ENTIRE batch and it's loaded with nutrients.

Obviously I don't eat the whole thing in one sitting, but I can certainly pound down close to half of it (500 grams) and feel nice and stuffed for only 246 calories and less than 3 grams of fat. If you don't like red wine or rice wine vinegar you can use freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice instead.

It tastes best freshly made, starts to go watery if left in the fridge as the salt pulls the moisture from the veg. Maybe make a batch and share with family or a friend so it gets eaten at one sitting. A bowl of home made jello goes along nicely if you're still hungry.

Great!
You can leave the salt out to use only after serving.

OP
Peata

Peata

thebigpeatowski said:

INGREDIENTS:

Thanks, I'll try it soon.

OP
Peata

Peata

Amazoniac said:
Over-the-counter I don't. Fermented foods or soil based organisms I do think it's worth a try, especially due to the risk being low in ingesting them. In the worst case you'll have a severe diarrhea and soon are going to be back to normal. Depending on your reaction you could have another clue for you diagnostic.

Would the carrot salad count as a fermented food? I use a spoon of ACV in it.

Otherwise, what about the liquid that comes in a jar of olives or pickles? I can drink that stuff sometimes. Or, just eating the olives or pickles?

I can eat sauerkraut if it's a better fermented food.

Amazoniac

In my opinion the best vegetables to ferment are the ones which have potent antibiotic properties or the ones that have multiple layers of leaves, increasing the exposed areas for organisms.

All of those fermented foods you mentioned most of the time are not naturally fermented. Some of them not even fermented at all. They just have that umami flavour that mimics fermentation.

For the purpose we are refering to, it has to be generous doses spread in small portions every meal, especially as an entry.
Homemade from vegetables grown by reliable producers, minimally washed and salt to taste.

No need to pound with a special tool, just a hard massage.
Do not overconsume the same fermented foods since a lot of toxins become more available with fermentation, along with some nutrients.

Usually two days is a sweet spot. Too bland and you don't have organisms in significant numbers. About two days the taste should be pleasant. If we use taste as our guide, it will indicate when bacteria, which reproduce faster, prevails over potential pathogens, that are usually more complex (mitochondria, etc). If the taste becomes weird it is possible that the environment stabilized with diversity and are not that beneficial anymore.

It is possible to ferment almost all vegetables. Combine them to taste. Or start tweaking the recipes that you find attractive.

In my opinion it won't help directly with the weight issue but it's a healthy habit nevertheless.

OP
Peata

Peata

Amazoniac said:
In my opinion the best vegetables to ferment are the ones which have potent antibiotic properties or the ones that have multiple layers of leaves, increasing the exposed areas for organisms.

All of those fermented foods you mentioned most of the time are not naturally fermented. Some of them not even fermented at all. They just have that umami flavour that mimics fermentation.

For the purpose we are refering to, it has to be generous doses spread in small portions every meal, especially as an entry.
Homemade from vegetables grown by reliable producers, minimally washed and salt to taste.

Do not overconsume the same fermented foods since a lot of toxins become more available with fermentation, along with some nutrients.

Usually two days is a sweet spot. Too bland and you don't have organisms in significant numbers. About two days the taste should be pleasant. If we use taste as our guide, it will indicate when bacteria, which reproduce faster, prevails over potential pathogens, that are usually more complex (mitochondria, etc). If the taste becomes weird it is possible that the environment stabilized with diversity and are not that beneficial anymore.

It is possible to ferment almost all vegetables. Combine them to taste. Or start tweaking the recipes that you find attractive.

In my opinion it won't help directly with the weight issue but it's a healthy habit nevertheless.

OK, I will get some from my Grandma this weekend. She has home-pickled vegetables by the truckload.

narouz

Peata said:
Amazoniac said:

OK, I will get some from my Grandma this weekend. She has home-pickled vegetables by the truckload.

It is so amazing
that you have a living grandma
to go get pickles from. ;)

OP
Peata

Peata

Were you eating a lot of protein during your weight loss?

I've been getting around 80 g. per day, but decided to boost that to at least 120 to see if it helps my liver.

Peata said:

I've been getting around 80 g. per day, but decided to boost that to at least 120 to see if it helps my liver.

YES, mostly because I did not want to risk any muscle loss, but also because it made my liver feel better. I never ate less than 95 grams and there were days where I hit 150 grams cuz I was so hungry. On average I was probably at 115 or 120.

narouz

thebigpeatowski said:
Peata said:

YES, mostly because I did not want to risk any muscle loss, but also because it made my liver feel better. I never ate less than 95 grams and there were days where I hit 150 grams cuz I was so hungry. On average I was probably at 115 or 120.

What kind of food did you use, bigp, to get your protein?

I used a combination of Fage 0% fat Greek yogurt, 1% organic milk, Jarlsberg low-fat Swiss cheese, wild caught shrimp, scallops, oysters, Langostino lobster (the tiny ones that come frozen), pacific cod, very lean organic grass-fed beef and beef liver, grass-fed lamb (with all the fat trimmed), gelatin and hydrolyzed collagen, 99% fat free turkey breast, the occasional boneless/skinless organic chicken breast and eggs...all of it from Costco, except the liver and gelatins.

narouz

thebigpeatowski said:
I used a combination of Fage 0% fat Greek yogurt, 1% organic milk, Jarlsberg low-fat Swiss cheese, wild caught shrimp, scallops, oysters, Langostino lobster (the tiny ones that come frozen), pacific cod, very lean organic grass-fed beef and beef liver, grass-fed lamb (with all the fat trimmed), gelatin and hydrolyzed collagen, 99% fat free turkey breast, the occasional boneless/skinless organic chicken breast and eggs...all of it from Costco, except the liver and gelatins.

Thank you, bigp!
Have you noticed with the Fage,
that if you let it set out of the frig and warm up for about an hour
up on its side
a lot of the lactic acidy fluid will separate and you can pour off....

OP
Peata

Peata

narouz said:
[
It is so amazing
that you have a living grandma
to go get pickles from. ;)

I know, it's a very precious thing.

OP
Peata

Peata

thebigpeatowski said:
Peata said:

Thanks. I've almost always had a hard time getting enough protein, but I've worked it out so I think i can get good amounts without too much trouble each day. Maybe this will make a difference for me.

narouz

thebigpeatowski said:
Yep, I always pour off the liquid!

Have you let it set out for about an hour first?
You can get a surprising amount of whey out of it that way.
I'm foggy on the details now
but I looked into Fage v those other greek yogurts...
and I think it was different in that it drained 3 times.
I'm not precisely sure how that works
never having made yogurt.

But Fage seems like the most strained greek yogurt to me.
And with an extra draining, very low lactic acid I have to think.

And tilt it on its side while setting out, warming! :D

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals