SHOES - Much Narrower These Days , And, Causing Unseen Health Problems?

yerrag

Yeah I suppose tighter fitting clothing/underwear would be the bigger issue if true
And that seems to be the style though I don't go for them. Aliens looking at us would surely think we are light years behind in intelligence lol

Birdie

Yeah. When I used to run, I'd always buy New Balance running shoes because they have width selections. But I was fine wearing regular sized formal leather shoes such as those from Florsheim, but they've run out of favor as synthetic foamy soles became popular for comfort in walking.

I always have Teva as strap-on sandals, although they've wised up and their soles last at most two years before I have to extend their life with Shoe Goo. They used to last ten years and they sure smell bad by then from sweat and dirt. I also like Chaco sandals for the sturdy build and excellent and durable rubber soles. They cost more but last much longer than the flimsy Havaianas.

Back to real shoes, I think they're narrower mainly because the pants and suits are narrower as well. If they stayed as wide, people would be walking around like Bozo the Clown.

Although that may still happen. It may be in the works already.
I still wear New Balance (widths!) for my morning walk, but it's hot and humid, so off they go when I get home. Then, the crocs clogs go on. But they heat up fast and off they go pretty soon. Those holes don't do much.

Not all crocs have a wide toe box, but some of their flip flops are good for an hour. A lot of their shoes are narrow now and the price has gone up. Still looking for summer solutions. With bare feet, I need ones with soft straps too. I never go barefoot. Also need some support in shoes....

Missenger

I'm repeating a health newsletter someone else linked on the forums here, it says close contact with the privates is probably the biggest thing at best beyond muscle fatigue and fire retardants from specific products, I just don't trust synthetics too much after that hand sanitizer study with BPA, and the navel/crotch are both pretty easy barriers for chemicals to leech through the skin.

yerrag

I don’t know about synthetic fibres in general but here’s an interesting article on bpa in baby socks:

Concentrations of bisphenol A and parabens in socks for infants and young children in Spain and their hormone-like activities
It's an interesting article for sure. It shows the high percentage of estrogenic substances in baby socks, but identifying the estrogenic substances in these socks do not necessarily mean there is infiltration of these substances from wearing these synthetic socks. Study mentions 90% of exposure is through food, and the remaining 10%, while not insignificant, is considered a "possible" danger. I would like to see a study of how people are contaminated with estrogens by wearing synthetics in normal clothing as t-shirts and underwear, which are the most common use of synthetics in clothing. There are other uses such as in sweaters using recycled plastics in fleece and as gloves. I've used all of them and haven't noticed any effects, although that may not be a good basis if the effects are cumulative and effects are not immediately observed.

But the precautionary principle applies so it's best to consider the risk vs reward in using these. For my part, I value the wicking abilities and the comfort it gives in humid climes. I may be wrong, but I consider these clothing material to be inert after a few cycles of washing and rinsing. By inert, I mean I do not subject them to chemicals such as acetone that would dissolve them into my tissues, and I don't consider sweat to cause these materials to release estrogenic chemicals into my skin or bloodstream. As far as skin sensitivity is involved, I happen to develop keloids easily, and I don't see myself developing keloids from their use. But I will observe more though, to see if I'm missing something. Thanks.

Alomongerpete

I adore my Altra Lone Peak 4 RSM's (barefoot style trainers). Been wonderful for my posture and my most comfortable trainers ever

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom