Protocol To Speed Healing After Surgery

Kaisersozeh

Beyond the typical foods I enjoy: OJ, milk, coconut oil, gelatin, grapes, mango, limited grass fed beef, limited pastured eggs, cottage cheese, parm reg, coffee and sups (niacinamide, aspirin, vitamin e, estroban, pansterone)...are there any additional supplements or foods which would help speed healing of a complete rotator cuff tear?

In addition, since I cannot lift for a few months or more, beyond strength training lower body and cardio, suggestions on maintaining fitness level?

Thank you. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum.

tara

My guesses:

Making sure to get enough good food. Recovery/repair is an energy intensive process. It is common for people to lose a lot of weight, including lean mass, while recovering from physical trauma. Maybe bumping up the gelatin to higher levels would be helpful, depending on how much you are eating now?
I imagine regular sunlight and techniques for maintaining good CO2 levels would also be helpful.
Maintaining/improving strength of surrounding muscles before surgery as practical without worsening the injury.
All the best for the surgery.
Go into surgery with as good glycogen stores as possible.

Investigate the drugs they want to use for anaesthesia, see if there are ones that you would like to get them to omit or minimise, and negotiate with anaesthetist.

Some of the anaesthetic drugs are major burdens in themselves (I don't know the details of which). See if they can work with local rather than systemic anasthesia (I don't know if this is feasible with rotator cuff, but sometimes people can wangle this for more peripheral surgeries.)

Cry and bite things in preference to excessive opioids post-surgery.

OP
Kaisersozeh

Kaisersozeh

Thank you for the suggestions. Gelatin now is either Great Lakes or Zint...usually a two tablespoon scoop in my coffee 3X day and usually with other proteins to balance aminos.

Good glycogen stores pre-surgery: to help drive protein metabolism?

Anasthesia drugs: I'll know more on Monday after meeting w/ orthopedic on which procedure specifically. Hoping for arthroscopic as this seems most common. Another good point I had not considered.

Post-surgery opioid avoidance/minimization: will substitute Turkey Hill or Haagen Daz ice cream instead.

I realize others are fighting much bigger quality of life and health issues. Appreciate your thoughtful and helpful response.

tara

Gelatin now is either Great Lakes or Zint...usually a two tablespoon scoop in my coffee 3X day
That seems reasonable to me.

Good glycogen stores pre-surgery: to help drive protein metabolism?
To sustain fuel supply during and immediately after the surgery itself, for all life functions, to reduce the need for even more stress hormones during challenging circumstances. Body needs more sugar during high stress.

Post-surgery opioid avoidance/minimization: will substitute Turkey Hill or Haagen Daz ice cream instead.
Sounds good. If you can manage post surgery pain with just icecream for pain relief, you'll be doing well. Maybe bring a towel to bite on and a box of tissues too, just in case. :)

Rafe

Cry and bite things in preference to excessive opioids post-surgery.
Keeper.
If it were me I woudn't hesitate to take pain meds initially b/c it makes getting started eating after general so much easier, but it's a tradeoff. But mainly this. "Did you pack my stick?" Ray Peat: I tell them, but they just don't believe me.

Sunlight and sugars, probably the most important in my opinion

dd99

Perhaps red and infrared light on your shoulder? 660nm and 850nm combo device might help.

achillea

My wife is facing oral surgery next week. One dentist caused one molar to die then the next dentist cut the root of the molar in front of the first damaged molar when he was extracting it. Any ideas on how to pump the system up for pre surgery.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom