Dr. Eades has novel idea about why low-carb works, blows up CICO proponents

Here's the video of his talk given at the recent Low Carb conference held in Boca Raton.

His idea is that the whole concept of CICO needs a rethink because energy itself has no mass. The example given is that if you have a kilogram of nearly boiling water on a scale, it will weigh 1 kg. When it cools (no evaporation in this thought experiment!) then it still weighs 1kg. Yet the calories of the water have certainly reduced as the heat energy dissipated.

You don't need to watch the whole thing. Watching from the 18:30 mark to around 38:00 covers the meat of it, I think. Ultimately you get to the equation that shows we get 4 calories per gram for carbs and protein and 11 calories per gram for fat. When you invert that to look at weight, you see that you get 0.25 grams/kcal for carbs/protein and 0.11 grams/kcal for fat.

He theorizes that you lose weight on low carb simply because you are consuming less mass. He also shows the difference in mass for a LCHF vs LFHC meal and it works out to about 1/3 pound per day in mass difference.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting and worth sharing. It certainly demands a different perspective from the 1st Law of Thermodynamics purists.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mnhha9JfCM&t=1446s

That's actually interesting. I wonder how that applies for hot food, like cold pasta vs hot pasta.

Jaydogg23

Here's the video of his talk given at the recent Low Carb conference held in Boca Raton.

His idea is that the whole concept of CICO needs a rethink because energy itself has no mass. The example given is that if you have a kilogram of nearly boiling water on a scale, it will weigh 1 kg. When it cools (no evaporation in this thought experiment!) then it still weighs 1kg. Yet the calories of the water have certainly reduced as the heat energy dissipated.

You don't need to watch the whole thing. Watching from the 18:30 mark to around 38:00 covers the meat of it, I think. Ultimately you get to the equation that shows we get 4 calories per gram for carbs and protein and 11 calories per gram for fat. When you invert that to look at weight, you see that you get 0.25 grams/kcal for carbs/protein and 0.11 grams/kcal for fat.

He theorizes that you lose weight on low carb simply because you are consuming less mass. He also shows the difference in mass for a LCHF vs LFHC meal and it works out to about 1/3 pound per day in mass difference.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting and worth sharing. It certainly demands a different perspective from the 1st Law of Thermodynamics purists.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mnhha9JfCM&t=1446s

Tell this to Clarence Bass, a legendary bodybuilder, who is now 86 years and has been able to maintain a single digit bodyfat % for decades. Clarence gets 20% of his calories from fat, 20% from protein, and 60% from carbs (whole grains, fruits, vegetables). He is also somewhat Peaty in the sense that he likes dairy, although he get his fats from primarily from nuts (peanut butter, walnuts, milk). See link below:

yerrag

Lost the point in the gratuitous pissing match over an acronym. Or is it a demo of 'roid rage?
Nah. It's when people try to talk over people using acronyms. Like some gang trying to show we're bros because we know some handshake or slap or whatever. Except the handshakes are cool. And this ain't cool.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom