To Arms! Mama Llama Cereal Controversy. Malt-o-Meal Replaces Coconut Oil With PUFA Canola

whit

Like many of you I have few treats that are clean---both gluten-free & made with coconut oil. That's why Mama Llama choco-crisp cereal was my go-to fuel. But Post/Malt-o-Meal (maker of MOM'S BEST) has changed their formula from coconut oil to canola oil, & other strange ingredients.

Okay, so not really "To Arms!" More like "To Thumbs!" as in typing/texting feedback to M.O.M letting them know our displeasure in their formula changes (in a constructive, level-headed, cogent manner, please ☺)

Contact the company @
Contact Us - Mom's Best Cereals

and/or on Facebbook @
Mom's Best Cereals

Mom's Best Cereals
PO Box 1025
Lakeville MN 55044
Ph 1-866-465-4633
www.mombrands.com

Be sure to check the labels if this is a cereal you purchase frequently.

Fractality

I noticed that change recently. The weird thing is that total fat is still listed at zero. Perhaps it's under a gram of fat?

marcar72

Wow, this is bad news. I haven't had any Dyno-Bites in awhile but see the changed ingredient list online! Canola Oil, eeek!! :(

OP
whit

whit

I made the mistake of eating some on my way home from the store. The first bite I could tell something was wrong;
It tasted ransid and a little chewy.
I had to spit it out and rinse my mouth.
Then I read the label.
Needless to say I had to return it for a refund.

tankasnowgod

I noticed that change recently. The weird thing is that total fat is still listed at zero. Perhaps it's under a gram of fat?

Ever looked at any cooking spray? Despite being pure fat, most are listed as "0 grams" and claim that "1/3 spray" is the serving size.

If there are other numbers in reference to calories, it does mean less than one gram (probably under 0.5) and is a more honest number.

Runenight201

Ever looked at any cooking spray? Despite being pure fat, most are listed as "0 grams" and claim that "1/3 spray" is the serving size.

If there are other numbers in reference to calories, it does mean less than one gram (probably under 0.5) and is a more honest number.

How do we accurately tell how much fat is in 0 calories sauces with oil as an ingredient?

Franks hot sauce is the cream of the crop for sauce with my chicken, but unfortunately it has canola oil as the 5th or 6th ordered ingredient, behind water (so it’s not a HUGE part of the sauce)

I haven’t cared enough, as I eat it probably every 3-4 days, and it makes my chicken taste delicious and I don’t notice any problems, but in an ideal world it probably would’ve been better if it was butter or at least olive oil.

tankasnowgod

How do we accurately tell how much fat is in 0 calories sauces with oil as an ingredient?

Franks hot sauce is the cream of the crop for sauce with my chicken, but unfortunately it has canola oil as the 5th or 6th ordered ingredient, behind water (so it’s not a HUGE part of the sauce)

I haven’t cared enough, as I eat it probably every 3-4 days, and it makes my chicken taste delicious and I don’t notice any problems, but in an ideal world it probably would’ve been better if it was butter or at least olive oil.

Look at "servings per container" on the label. It has to be less than 0.5 grams of **whatever** to be rounded down to zero. So, if fat is 0 grams, and there is 10 servings per container, max amount of total fat can be 4.99999999999999 (and on) grams. Let's just say 5 grams, and that would be when you eat the total container.

Also, Ingredients have to be listed in order of the amount they are in the food. So, for example, if you had two ingredients in a 10ml products, and they were listed as "Water, Oil," you would also know that oil would have to be less than 5ml in the product, otherwise, it would be listed first. So, 5th or 6th (holding to the same 10 ml example) would be less than 2ml. Likely, significantly less.

The Pam label I have attached shows you how you can take it to the ridiculous extreme. What is 753 times 0.4999999999?

Attachments

• label.jpg
    label.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Runenight201

Look at "servings per container" on the label. It has to be less than 0.5 grams of **whatever** to be rounded down to zero. So, if fat is 0 grams, and there is 10 servings per container, max amount of total fat can be 4.99999999999999 (and on) grams. Let's just say 5 grams, and that would be when you eat the total container.

Also, Ingredients have to be listed in order of the amount they are in the food. So, for example, if you had two ingredients in a 10ml products, and they were listed as "Water, Oil," you would also know that oil would have to be less than 5ml in the product, otherwise, it would be listed first. So, 5th or 6th (holding to the same 10 ml example) would be less than 2ml. Likely, significantly less.

The Pam label I have attached shows you how you can take it to the ridiculous extreme. What is 753 times 0.4999999999?

Ah ok. The sauce has 45 servings and so at worst it could have 27.5 g of canola oil in the bottle. Seeing as I probably put a 5th of the bottle per chicken munching sesh, that would put me around 5.5g of canola oil ingested. Top that off with the fatty chicken I’m consuming it with and that is quite the PUFA rich meal X.X

As I see it, there are two options

1)DGAF, since truly each meal is consumed 1-2 times a week and I don’t notice any mental retardation or other physiological negative effects post consumption (although I’d have to run the experiment again, perhaps with some kind of intelligence tests before and after). It could be that my body just burns it all as energy instead of storing the fat and causing damage.

*Side note, I have a theory that the cooking process of the oils makes them much more dangerous then the consumption of them in its raw state. Every time I consume fried food (especially fried rice...) I react very negatively and usually display autistic symptoms, with a decline in memory formation, verbal recall, and general intelligence. It could be the combination starch and oil, which display a deadly combo and synergize to disrupt the body. Sugar probably protects against this, and so if one must eat out in the poisoned western food system, it’s best to stick with meat and sugar .

2) make my own sauce, with vinegar, paprika, cayenne red pepper, salt, water, and perhaps a friendlier oil, like olive. I could also use butter but I don’t think it would mix well with the other ingredients, but I know next to nothing about sauce preparation. I also don’t really enjoy the whole cooking process, but rather see it as a necessary function to maintain optimal health, and one of my early life goals is to offload that responsibility onto someone else for me. Since the inclusion of women in the workforce and the subsequent degeneration of traditional gender roles, ill probably have to hire a house servant, like is commonly done in Colombia, ensuring that my family’s and I food sources stay clean while removing the tremendous time sink that food preparation is, saving the most valuable resource that any of us have which is our time.

OP
whit

whit

You're theory on PUFA oils being heated is correct. As they heat it increases the rate of oxidation; and that also reacts with what's being cooked making a completely of oxidized components that continue to change and react with us upon consumption or inhilation.
Starches can be beneficial when cooked in saturated fats and quite tasty too.

OP
whit

whit

I'm not going to give up my Franks either.
There's not any PUFA in the original formula that I know of (cayenne peppers, distilled vinegar, water, salt, garlic powder). Many of the special flavors will be extracted with canola.

Last edited:

Runenight201

I'm not going to give up my Franks either.
There's not any PUFA in the original formula that I know of.
Many of the special flavors will be extracted with canola.

Yes you are correct the original one does not contain canola, but I much prefer the buffalo taste as opposed to the original taste, perhaps it is the canola oil that I like o_O

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom