Would like input on my supplement regimen please

livesimply

So I've been following Ray Peat's wisdom since 2010 (boy I miss him!), although not as strictly as many here. A little background: I am a 68 yo female, had a total hysterectomy at age 35 for severe endometriosis, and was shortly thereafter diagnosed with hypothyroid (Hashi's). Weight went up and down as medications changed, but finally in February 2021 I got my thyroid meds straightened out and lost 70 lbs over 18 months (logged foods on Cronometer, cut out wine, exercised) and feel really good now except for some osteoarthritis in my hands. My diet is good FOR ME ( mainly low PUFA, organic, mostly homemade/very little processed food).

I am mostly a "reader" here on the forum, soaking up the wisdom of others. ;) I would really appreciate input on my supplement regimen below--especially if I should change the timing of any supplements, etc. Please be kind with your criticism.

FYI: I also am following *some* advice of Dr. Gregory Russell-Jones, PhD, biochemist in a few of the supplements I'm taking. I increase/decrease my T3 seasonally.

Meds:Supps.png

OP
livesimply

livesimply

Forgot to mention--after hysterectomy I went on estrogen therapy :eek: until I discovered Ray Peat, and developed osteopenia in my hips and spine.

DanDare

Forum Supporter
Forgot to mention--after hysterectomy I went on estrogen therapy :eek: until I discovered Ray Peat, and developed osteopenia in my hips and spine.

A lot here are are doing the following:

avoiding in particular:
Vit A ( believed to be toxic in any amount), copper ( more often they not believed to me too high) and vit D ( believed to go against naturally determined correct level) and copper ( typically high).

Also avoiding
B6, a really high calcium to magnesium ratio, niacinamide ( preferring niacin), vit E

Iodine i am unsure about.

NOt advice but just an approach being taken by many.

So many here would certainly drop the liver and half the supplements.

lamassu

It might be a good idea to start with much fewer supplements and to make sure your eating, digestion, sleep, social activity, exercise is on the right track. I might pare the supplements down to aspirin, vitamin K, calcium, magnesium and niacinamide to starts. Certainly that's a huge list for daily consumption. Its usually good to try and get most of these nutrients from foods

OP
livesimply

livesimply

A lot here are are doing the following:

avoiding in particular:
Vit A ( believed to be toxic in any amount), copper ( more often they not believed to me too high) and vit D ( believed to go against naturally determined correct level) and copper ( typically high).

Also avoiding
B6, a really high calcium to magnesium ratio, niacinamide ( preferring niacin), vit E

Iodine i am unsure about.

NOt advice but just an approach being taken by many.

So many here would certainly drop the liver and half the supplements.
thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

OP
livesimply

livesimply

It might be a good idea to start with much fewer supplements and to make sure your eating, digestion, sleep, social activity, exercise is on the right track. I might pare the supplements down to aspirin, vitamin K, calcium, magnesium and niacinamide to starts. Certainly that's a huge list for daily consumption. Its usually good to try and get most of these nutrients from foods
yeah, I've been thinking of really paring it down. I'm curious--it seems like vitamin E has fallen out of favor here, but Ray Peat was supportive of it. What am I missing?

lamassu

yeah, I've been thinking of really paring it down. I'm curious--it seems like vitamin E has fallen out of favor here, but Ray Peat was supportive of it. What am I missing?
I have no problem with vitamin E. There has been a tendency here with attributing health issue to various toxicities

OP
livesimply

livesimply

I have no problem with vitamin E. There has been a tendency here with attributing health issue to various toxicities
Thanks! How about potassium? And I was taking vitamin D in the winter, but I could discontinue in the warmer months since I'm outside a lot. Also, I had foot surgery in early January and the doctor had me on 5000 IU of vit. D; this is the brand I've been taking since it's so adjustable: https://www.vitacost.com/source-naturals-vitamin-d-3-liquid

After many emails with Ray Peat and reading his articles & books, I will stay on the progesterone for sure (and pregnenolone unless someone convinces me to stop). ;)

lamassu

For vitamin D you might as well get a blood test and see where you are. With ample sun exposure you could be good already. For potassium I've never supplemented it but I have started consuming coconut water. It has lots of micronutrients with a relatively low amount of calories. Costco seems to have an affordable option where I live. Yes I think cycling progesterone is probably a good idea if you feel well on it.

OP
livesimply

livesimply

OP
livesimply

livesimply

I'm going to check my temps thru the day & log how I feel and sleep after making adjustments to my supplements--here's what I plan to take:
updated supps.png

How does this look?

DanDare

Forum Supporter
I'm going to check my temps thru the day & log how I feel and sleep after making adjustments to my supplements--here's what I plan to take:
View attachment 62462
How does this look?

Looks better.

In this study ( and others ) ignore the conclusion and read past the abstract, and look at the results, they actually show that women with half the serum vitamin d levels ( covered Muslim women) had zero difference in bone status vs uncovered Western women.

The scientists remark that this is surprising...yet they still recommended supplementing vitamin D, I suppose not trusting their and other study results because EVERYONE knows vitamin d is great for bone health....no matter of actual observations show otherwise. 👍

Calcium intake was about the the same across both groups.

if one looks at the ORIGINAL study on the importance of vitamin D, which was used to support fortification of milk, it is actually a weird study where rats were fed very unrealistic high phosphorous diets, and irradiating them and their food with UV light was helpful.... A bit of a wild base for everything since.

OP
livesimply

livesimply

Looks better.

In this study ( and others ) ignore the conclusion and read past the abstract, and look at the results, they actually show that women with half the serum vitamin d levels ( covered Muslim women) had zero difference in bone status vs uncovered Western women.

The scientists remark that this is surprising...yet they still recommended supplementing vitamin D, I suppose not trusting their and other study results because EVERYONE knows vitamin d is great for bone health....no matter of actual observations show otherwise. 👍

Calcium intake was about the the same across both groups.

if one looks at the ORIGINAL study on the importance of vitamin D, which was used to support fortification of milk, it is actually a weird study where rats were fed very unrealistic high phosphorous diets, and irradiating them and their food with UV light was helpful.... A bit of a wild base for everything since.
Thanks! That study is really interesting. A couple of years ago my D level was below 20 so I began supplementing. In 2021 it was 55--so I'll get it checked and not take any unless needed.

Hiep

I use this calcium supplement: Micronized Eggshell Calcium Might have to reconsider....thanks! what would be a good calcium option? I do consume a fair amount of dairy.

I first heard about calcium pyruvate (via Brad Marshall aka FireInABottle) back in 2022. The context in which he was using it was to lower reductive stress and as a weight loss aid - that is, he was taking it for the pyruvate. I only took a small amount (for the calcium, 100mg or 200mg) and nowhere near the multigram quantities Brad was ingesting. Sally K Norton, author of Toxic Superfoods, also mentioned calcium pyruvate as a possible calcium supplement form in her book. I recommend the pure bulk powder (free from unnecessary additives) if it's available to you.

I ran out of calcium pyruvate and have yet to restock. Lately, I've reverted to Ecological Formulas Tri-Salts powder. It's USP grade calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate and potassium bicarbonate. Note: I know calcium carbonate is one of the least bioavailable forms but that's what makes it ideal for binding with oxalates. :)

OP
livesimply

livesimply

I first heard about calcium pyruvate (via Brad Marshall aka FireInABottle) back in 2022. The context in which he was using it was to lower reductive stress and as a weight loss aid - that is, he was taking it for the pyruvate. I only took a small amount (for the calcium, 100mg or 200mg) and nowhere near the multigram quantities Brad was ingesting. Sally K Norton, author of Toxic Superfoods, also mentioned calcium pyruvate as a possible calcium supplement form in her book. I recommend the pure bulk powder (free from unnecessary additives) if it's available to you.

I ran out of calcium pyruvate and have yet to restock. Lately, I've reverted to Ecological Formulas Tri-Salts powder. It's USP grade calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate and potassium bicarbonate. Note: I know calcium carbonate is one of the least bioavailable forms but that's what makes it ideal for binding with oxalates. :)
I might try some from iHerb--looks interesting. Thanks!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom