Why You Shouldn't Supplement Vitamin D

Collden

Serum calcium remains in range because the kidneys are working overtime to excrete it.

Remove the historical argument and there is absolutely no reason why we would need to supplement VD.

Studies on supplementing VD also generally show that its useless.

paymanz

it is about dosage , also in regards of vit d rodents are much deferent.

you just need adjust proper dose. of curse vitamin d over dose is so nasty. but in some situations when you don't have access to sunlight , supplementation becomes necessary.

This is unfortunate if true, as I was hoping the Vitamin D hypothesis re. Covid-19 could distract the elites from the need for mass-vaccination. I'd rather take my chances with supplemental Vitamin D than some rushed vaccine.

Jessie

I like Morley Robbins, I've gotten some good advice from his work before. However I do disagree with him on this. With all do respect he's being kinda hypocritical here, considering he recommends his listeners to take cod liver oil (high in vit D).

Perhaps a vitamin D toxicity could cause kidney issues, but a vitamin D deficiency will also cause kidney issues. If there's one thing we all should know by now, it's the detrimental effects PTH can have on the organism, one of those being kidney function.

If you can get vitamin D from natural sources like the sun, then go for it. But most of us will likely need a D3 supplement.

Dave Clark

I like Morley Robbins, I've gotten some good advice from his work before. However I do disagree with him on this. With all do respect he's being kinda hypocritical here, considering he recommends his listeners to take cod liver oil (high in vit D).

Perhaps a vitamin D toxicity could cause kidney issues, but a vitamin D deficiency will also cause kidney issues. If there's one thing we all should know by now, it's the detrimental effects PTH can have on the organism, one of those being kidney function.

If you can get vitamin D from natural sources like the sun, then go for it. But most of us will likely need a D3 supplement.
Morley doesn't seem to want to concede that the cod liver oil is not a good recommendation due to the PUFAs. The amount of D in CLO is not that high, and I believe Morley feels that it is the high dose of vitamin D taken in supplements that is problematic. We do not have to yield to taking supplemental oral D, even if there is no sun, a proper lamp like the Sperti-D lamp will provide the UVB rays that produce vitamin d anytime of the year. The Sperti-D lamp has been proven and certified by the FDA to produce and raise vitamin D levels in test subjects. This company has been around and producing these type lamps since early last century, making them for nursing homes and hospital patients that cannot get sun exposure, so they are not new to the business. Interesting that this information has been suppressed since the pharma industry started selling vitamin D to the agricultural businesses, and telling people they can get all the D they need from drinking milk, etc.

Collden

If you exclude the thousands that show benefits, yeah.
Please, for which malady is there a clear benefit of Vitamin D supplementation? If you take a look at the Wikipedia page you will find that there is hardly any disease for which the totality of the evidence shows clear benefit of supplementation, and that most of it is just widely exaggerated marketing hype.

There are certain contexts where supplementation is useful, particularly for people with a calcium and protein-deficient diet, because VD does greatly increase calcium absorption, but for most people its safer to just make sure they get enough calcium.

Risingfire

I tend to agree with this. Its well proven that excessive Vitamin D, whether from supplements or from too much sunlight, raise urinary calcium concentrations and increase risk of kidney stones even when serum calcium levels remain normal. The argument for why we need to supplement Vitamin D is also shaky, for instance historically people wore much less revealing clothing than today and likely got less sunshine exposure than modern people.
Yes and what was the consequence? Rickets

TheSir

Once you drown a bunch of rats in water, water turns into rat poison.

Maljam

Please, for which malady is there a clear benefit of Vitamin D supplementation? If you take a look at the Wikipedia page you will find that there is hardly any disease for which the totality of the evidence shows clear benefit of supplementation, and that most of it is just widely exaggerated marketing hype.

There are certain contexts where supplementation is useful, particularly for people with a calcium and protein-deficient diet, because VD does greatly increase calcium absorption, but for most people its safer to just make sure they get enough calcium.

Your first problem is you are using wikipedia to make decisions that effect your health. Have you not listened to any interviews of Peats? Vitamin D is one of the most important things he keeps repeating.

On the topic of ailments, have a read of this below:

Proof that Vitamin D Works | VitaminDWiki

Have you any solid evidence against it ?(wikipedia not classed as solid evidence)

schultz

PubMed has hundreds of papers on Vitamin D showing benefit.

Serum calcium remains in range because the kidneys are working overtime to excrete it.

Remove the historical argument and there is absolutely no reason why we would need to supplement VD.

Studies on supplementing VD also generally show that its useless.

Most studies on D, of which there are ridiculous amounts, posit that Vitamin D has moderate to massive effects in a range of disease states.

That Robbins guy is a crackpot and a nutjob. Now we have a Vitamin D - Denier.

Quelsatron

Morley doesn't seem to want to concede that the cod liver oil is not a good recommendation due to the PUFAs. The amount of D in CLO is not that high, and I believe Morley feels that it is the high dose of vitamin D taken in supplements that is problematic. We do not have to yield to taking supplemental oral D, even if there is no sun, a proper lamp like the Sperti-D lamp will provide the UVB rays that produce vitamin d anytime of the year. The Sperti-D lamp has been proven and certified by the FDA to produce and raise vitamin D levels in test subjects. This company has been around and producing these type lamps since early last century, making them for nursing homes and hospital patients that cannot get sun exposure, so they are not new to the business. Interesting that this information has been suppressed since the pharma industry started selling vitamin D to the agricultural businesses, and telling people they can get all the D they need from drinking milk, etc.
You should know that, according to Peat at least, UV and even blue light is quenched by the red part of the spectrum, so this might not be a healthy alternative since it's isolated UVB.

Hogwash about D3 supplements. I do think K2 MK4 is helpful and so is A when taking larger supplemental D3.

Dave Clark

You should know that, according to Peat at least, UV and even blue light is quenched by the red part of the spectrum, so this might not be a healthy alternative since it's isolated UVB.
How so, since it is only a 5 minute session to achieve enough UVB to create the conversion in the skin. Far safer than the time people spend in the sun and sun bathe, where they develop pink skin, sunburn etc. You are not going to convince me that UV is being quenched up by red light, if that was the case you wouldn't have the skin issues with too much UV.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals