Why Ray Peat was against eating kidneys (but was pro liver) ?

Truth

Hi, I think Raymond supposedly said "I've never smelled kidneys that made me want to eat it"

In my experience, most kidneys smell repulsive, taste similar, and the effects are negative

Last edited:

cremes

I buy meat from a local meat packer. For my ground beef I always ask for him to mix in kidney and heart. I don’t tell my family. Everyone loves the burgers.

Why did I share this? Because even if kidney is a bit icky on its own, it can be wonderful as an add-on to mix with other ground meat.

Apple

Hi, I think Raymond supposedly said "I've never smelled kidneys that made me want to eat them"

In my experience, most kidneys smell repulsive, taste similar, and the effects are negati
Kidneys are very high in Selenium (good) but also high in some heavy metals

Nick

Kidney being a filter for toxins in the blood, it contains whatever it was filtering at the time of death. I think it is a horrible idea to eat them.

Gawdawg

Kidney being a filter for toxins in the blood, it contains whatever it was filtering at the time of death. I think it is a horrible idea to eat them.
Long ago when I was interested in the paleo diet, I read about people soaking kidneys in water and maybe baking soda to draw out toxins.

Nick

Long ago when I was interested in the paleo diet, I read about people soaking kidneys in water and maybe baking soda to draw out toxins.
Maybe soaking can draw out some portion of the toxins to make them a bit less unsafe to eat but unless one is starving to death with no other food I can't imagine the point in doing so, other than magical thinking about eating "nose to tail" being some kind of panacea.

Gawdawg

Maybe soaking can draw out some portion of the toxins to make them a bit less unsafe to eat but unless one is starving to death with no other food I can't imagine the point in doing so, other than magical thinking about eating "nose to tail" being some kind of panacea.
Agree

cremes

The liver is the master filter for the body. And we eat it. It’s nature’s multivitamin as some like to say.

Why the love for liver but no love for kidney? Isn’t it just as ridiculous to say the kidney contains “toxins” when we know that isn’t true for liver?

The only time kidney will have toxins is when it was diseased in the source animal.

Nick

The liver is the master filter for the body. And we eat it. It’s nature’s multivitamin as some like to say.

Why the love for liver but no love for kidney? Isn’t it just as ridiculous to say the kidney contains “toxins” when we know that isn’t true for liver?

The only time kidney will have toxins is when it was diseased in the source animal.
The liver is also highly toxic, there is no health decision I regret more than eating liver since it can take years to completely recover from the vitamin A and copper toxicity, although I have already seen great improvements since stopping eating it

The liver is also highly toxic, there is no health decision I regret more than eating liver since it can take years to completely recover from the vitamin A and copper toxicity, although I have already seen great improvements since stopping eating it
Wow how much liver did you eat, nick?

Pete Rey

Kidneys make urine. Hence, kidney smells like urine.

And urine therapy is something some people swear by.

Haven't tried it myself, but I have eaten beef kidney, so then again, maybe I have.

cremes

If liver is toxic then it’s sick. If the liver is working properly then it’s eliminating the poisons and toxins from the body.

If you ate too much liver and overdosed on vitamin A then that’s a “you problem” and not a liver problem. Unless you believe there is no safe dose of liver?

Nick

Wow how much liver did you eat, nick?
Much less than recommended by Ray, in combination with a diet already high in retinol and carotene (milk, orange, eggs, carrot etc), over the course of ten years. Although it took me a decade to figure out the harm it was doing to me, I now recognize that it was already causing me bad symptoms within months of starting to eat liver but it was not just right after eating it, so I did not make the connection.
If liver is toxic then it’s sick. If the liver is working properly then it’s eliminating the poisons and toxins from the body.

If you ate too much liver and overdosed on vitamin A then that’s a “you problem” and not a liver problem. Unless you believe there is no safe dose of liver?
I suspect that no amount of liver is healthy to eat.

Last edited:

Jayvee

Much less than recommended by Ray, in combination with a diet already high in retinol and carotene (milk, orange, eggs, carrot etc), over the course of ten years. Although it took me a decade to figure out the harm it was doing to me, I now recognize that it was already causing me bad symptoms within months of starting to eat liver but it was not just right after eating it, so I did not make the connection.

I suspect that no amount of liver is healthy to eat.

How is your general health and Thyroid health? Do you know what RDA you were hitting with your former diet. I have ready too many stories like yours to ignore it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals