Which thyroid supplement is best?

mostlylurking

What was the problem?
I've been hypothyroid for over 50 years. I've been low thiamine most of my life but I didn't know it. I took several antibiotics summer of 2020 for a UTI; one was Bactrim, which is known to block thiamine function. It nearly killed me. I was recovering via high dose thiamine hcl but my symptoms pointed to hypothyroidism and I thought perhaps I'd gotten a bad batch of thyroid medication so I got my thyroid blood test run 2 months early. The test showed my T3 to be dangerously high so my endocrinologist lowered my NP Thyroid down from 180mg/day to 135mg/day and encouraged me to keep supplementing the thiamine hcl orally. I recovered after about 4 months.

Logan-

I had mercury amalgam fillings put in my teeth when I was a child
That kind of thing really enrages me. It seems the less you have been to doctors and hospitals, the more chance you have to be healthy and well.

What did you do with the amalgam? That’s very problematic.

The thermometers are really accurate but they are imported from china, and I question their production standards. If it was an old German made thermometer I would have more trust in it. Mercury is really dangerous.

Logan-

I've been hypothyroid for over 50 years. I've been low thiamine most of my life but I didn't know it. I took several antibiotics summer of 2020 for a UTI; one was Bactrim, which is known to block thiamine function. It nearly killed me. I was recovering via high dose thiamine hcl but my symptoms pointed to hypothyroidism and I thought perhaps I'd gotten a bad batch of thyroid medication so I got my thyroid blood test run 2 months early. The test showed my T3 to be dangerously high so my endocrinologist lowered my NP Thyroid down from 180mg/day to 135mg/day and encouraged me to keep supplementing the thiamine hcl orally. I recovered after about 4 months.
That’s hard to deal with, for five decades. Complicated as well. Glad you understood what’s going on, and solved the main problems. I don’t know what you use for thiamine, but purebulk’s thiamine hcl is a good product. You can make your own liquid thiamine with it, in your house.

mostlylurking

That kind of thing really enrages me. It seems the less you have been to doctors and hospitals, the more chance you have to be healthy and well.
I agree. I'm in the U.S. The medical/dental industry here is still placing mercury amalgam fillings in people's teeth. If Medicare or Medicaid is paying for the filling, they will only pay for mercury amalgam. The malevolence is outrageous.
What did you do with the amalgam? That’s very problematic.
I had them removed (the dangerous way) when I was in my 20's. My health got a lot worse then because of the additional exposure. Here's the safe way I should have done instead but it wasn't available then (I don't think); at least my dentist was unaware of it.
The thermometers are really accurate but they are imported from china, and I question their production standards. If it was an old German made thermometer I would have more trust in it.
Well, yeah....But if it's accurate it probably isn't leaking.
Mercury is really dangerous.
Yes, it is. And there are LOTS of sources for getting exposed to mercury.

That’s hard to deal with, for five decades. Complicated as well. Glad you understood what’s going on, and solved the main problems. I don’t know what you use for thiamine, but purebulk’s thiamine hcl is a good product. You can make your own liquid thiamine with it, in your house.
I've found the thiamine hcl to be extremely helpful; I've been high dosing it for 3 years. I buy it from purebulk. It dissolves easily in water and I just drink it down. It's an acquired taste.

Logan-

I agree. I'm in the U.S. The medical/dental industry here is still placing mercury amalgam fillings in people's teeth. If Medicare or Medicaid is paying for the filling, they will only pay for mercury amalgam. The malevolence is outrageous.

I had them removed (the dangerous way) when I was in my 20's. My health got a lot worse then because of the additional exposure. Here's the safe way I should have done instead but it wasn't available then (I don't think); at least my dentist was unaware of it.

I've found the thiamine hcl to be extremely helpful; I've been high dosing it for 3 years. I buy it from purebulk. It dissolves easily in water and I just drink it down. It's an acquired taste.
I’ll read the links you shared. I agree, purebulk’s thiamine is quite good. I take it every day. Their CoA’s are good. Cheap prices also.

OP
M

Mjeffersondc

how much do you use a day? My wife was walking before an antibiotic. Not walking now

Ever since we heard of thyroid, pregnenolone, and progesterone . She is getting more stable when I stand her up. Will add vit D3 and K2 soon

mostlylurking

how much do you use a day? My wife was walking before an antibiotic. Not walking now

Ever since we heard of thyroid, pregnenolone, and progesterone . She is getting more stable when I stand her up. Will add vit D3 and K2 soon
I follow Dr. Costantini's protocol which, according to my weight says that I should be taking 1 gram of thiamine hcl orally twice a day. I have been taking that dose (1 gram, 2Xday) for three years and am doing well on it.

There are a LOT of antibiotics that block thiamine function. I believe that I was already borderline deficient in thiamine because of my mercury load when I took Bactrim antibiotic. I stopped taking the Bactrim after 4-5 days (could not finish the 10 day prescribed series). However, even though I had stopped taking the antibiotic my thiamine function was still blocked. After several weeks passed, I was in real trouble. I was walking tilted to the side at an angle, had real trouble standing up, and was running into walls. It was excruciating and difficult to roll over in bed. My head felt like it was stuffed with cotton.

Something Haidut had said about thiamine being able to reduce lactic acid made me try taking a dose of 300-350mg with a glass of water in the early afternoon one day. Within 45 minutes, all my pain disappeared, my head cleared, my energy level improved, and my body temperature went up a full degree to normal. So I knew that I had discovered a major piece of my health puzzle. I started researching thiamine and learned a lot about it. About 4 months later, I had worked my way up in stair-steps to taking 750mg, 2Xday of thiamine hcl and felt I needed more so I researched some more and found Dr. Costantini's website and decided to follow his advice about the dosage amount. Within two days of taking 2 grams/day, my digestive tract normalized. I had been dealing with leaky gut, SIBO, poor peristalsis, low stomach acid, for around 30-35 years and suddenly I could eat and digest food like a normal person! I think that thiamine is amazing stuff!

Watching Dr. Costantini's patients' before and after videos are eye opening and well worth the time. These people were treated with thiamine hcl by injection; there is conversion information regarding how much thiamine hcl needs to be taken orally to equal one injection on his Therapy page. Taking thiamine hcl like this equals to taking pharmacological doses of it

You may find this article of interest:

OP
M

Mjeffersondc

I follow Dr. Costantini's protocol which, according to my weight says that I should be taking 1 gram of thiamine hcl orally twice a day. I have been taking that dose (1 gram, 2Xday) for three years and am doing well on it.

There are a LOT of antibiotics that block thiamine function. I believe that I was already borderline deficient in thiamine because of my mercury load when I took Bactrim antibiotic. I stopped taking the Bactrim after 4-5 days (could not finish the 10 day prescribed series). However, even though I had stopped taking the antibiotic my thiamine function was still blocked. After several weeks passed, I was in real trouble. I was walking tilted to the side at an angle, had real trouble standing up, and was running into walls. It was excruciating and difficult to roll over in bed. My head felt like it was stuffed with cotton.

Something Haidut had said about thiamine being able to reduce lactic acid made me try taking a dose of 300-350mg with a glass of water in the early afternoon one day. Within 45 minutes, all my pain disappeared, my head cleared, my energy level improved, and my body temperature went up a full degree to normal. So I knew that I had discovered a major piece of my health puzzle. I started researching thiamine and learned a lot about it. About 4 months later, I had worked my way up in stair-steps to taking 750mg, 2Xday of thiamine hcl and felt I needed more so I researched some more and found Dr. Costantini's website and decided to follow his advice about the dosage amount. Within two days of taking 2 grams/day, my digestive tract normalized. I had been dealing with leaky gut, SIBO, poor peristalsis, low stomach acid, for around 30-35 years and suddenly I could eat and digest food like a normal person! I think that thiamine is amazing stuff!

Watching Dr. Costantini's patients' before and after videos are eye opening and well worth the time. These people were treated with thiamine hcl by injection; there is conversion information regarding how much thiamine hcl needs to be taken orally to equal one injection on his Therapy page. Taking thiamine hcl like this equals to taking pharmacological doses of it

Thank you

mostlylurking

Thank you
you're welcome.

The type of doctor who would give thiamine hcl by injection would be a neurologist. However finding one that is willing to try it might be tricky.

There is also sublingual thiamine mononitrate that you might consider. Info here. Purchase here. Book here. Because this type of thiamine goes directly into the blood stream because of the delivery method (sublingual), the dose is a lot smaller to be effective. Although the book is about Parkinson's and B1 (thiamine), there is evidence that all dementias (along with a multitude of other maladies) are related to thiamine deficiency problems.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mjeffersondc

you're welcome.

The type of doctor who would give thiamine hcl by injection would be a neurologist. However finding one that is willing to try it might be tricky.

There is also sublingual thiamine mononitrate that you might consider. Info here. Purchase here. Book here. Because this type of thiamine goes directly into the blood stream because of the delivery method (sublingual), the dose is a lot smaller to be effective. Although the book is about Parkinson's and B1 (thiamine), there is evidence that all dementias (along with a multitude of other maladies) are related to thiamine deficiency problems.
Where can I get that much thiamine hcl. She would need 2 grams, 2x/day

If I get the sublingual one, it is the same dosage as the other one?

Kocky777

Forum Supporter

Dear @mostlylurking, you seem to be the forum's expert on Thiamine mega dosing. Your posts are always detailed and very interesting. THANK YOU! Lots of respect and best wishes to you! FOLLOWING!
I also try to fight my hypothyroidism with 2 grams Thiamine HCL a day and sometimes Benfothiamine, so far no success with raising temperatures. Maybe I need more (possible lead toxicity!)?

You were able to restore good temperatures within 2 days of mega dosing Thiamine HCL if I remember correctly.
And you always preach to take Thiamine HCL with only water on an empty stomach.
My problem is that I cannot stand the taste of Thiamine HCL (I bought capsules but I still have B1 powder to consume), does Orange Juice render B1 powder completly useless?
Thank you!

Logan-

Dear @mostlylurking, you seem to be the forum's expert on Thiamine mega dosing. Your posts are always detailed and very interesting. THANK YOU! Lots of respect and best wishes to you! FOLLOWING!
I also try to fight my hypothyroidism with 2 grams Thiamine HCL a day and sometimes Benfothiamine, so far no success with raising temperatures. Maybe I need more (possible lead toxicity!)?

You were able to restore good temperatures within 2 days of mega dosing Thiamine HCL if I remember correctly.
My problem is that I cannot stand the taste of Thiamine HCL (I bought capsules but I still have B1 powder to consume), does Orange Juice render B1 powder completly useless?
Thank you!
I am not mostlylurking, but to give you an idea, you can put the thiamine hcl powder into big sized empty gelatin capsules. That way, you won’t need to taste it.

Make sure to consume lots of simple carbohydrates with that much thiamine. At least 200 grams of sugar a day. Taking thyroid and methylene blue would also help with shifting your metabolism into the oxidative, efficient kind.

mostlylurking

That is a very high dose. Are you basing that dose amount on her weight? If you do not have a doctor helping you, it would be prudent to start lower and work your way up over a period of several months and watch for negative side effects which would be evidence of taking too much.

Based on my weight at the time that I started taking high dose thiamine, I should have needed 2.5 grams/day. However, after 4 months of slowly increasing my dose, when I tried to take that 2.5grams/day dose one time, I experienced shooting electrical zapping pains in my thighs that night when I tried to go to sleep. I realized that this negative effect was caused by taking too much thiamine hcl. I had packed on around 30 pounds in about 30 days the prior summer when I took the Bactrim, which blocked my thiamine function, so at the time of the 2.5 grams/day trial I was puffed up with fat that did come off after about a year of taking the 2 grams/day.

I get my thiamine hcl from purebulk.com here.

I found Dr. Costantini's website very informative. He had a lot of experience treating patients who had Parkinson's Disease. His Therapy page and his FAQs have very helpful hands on information.

The reason why thiamine hcl needs to be taken in such high doses to be effective is that it has poor absorption through the intestinal wall. Some people's ability to absorb it is hindered even more because of the condition of their intestine. The sublingual thiamine avoids this issue by being absorbed under the tongue.

According to Dr. Costantini's website, a 100mg injection of thiamine hcl taken weekly equals to 2 grams of thiamine hcl taken daily for 7 days.

WEEKLY 100mg injection of thiamine hcl = 2000mg X 7days = 14,000mg = 14 grams/week

The suggested dose of the sublingual thiamine is one 100mg tablet taken daily. However, some people do not need to take it everyday because that amount is too much for them so they take it perhaps every other day.

mostlylurking

Hypothyroidism and thiamine deficiency have many identical symptoms. The thyroid needs thiamine to do its job, just like every other organ in the body. However, hypothyroidism is a whole other topic. I am hypothyroid; I take NP Thyroid by Accella, which is a prescription thyroid medication that I get with the help of a good endocrinologist. I also take a single 200mcg capsule of selenium daily which seems to have improved my health.

Treating thiamine deficiency PLUS treating hypothyroidism is tricky because taking too much thyroid medication can equal to giving yourself hyperthyroidism; hyperthyroidism blocks thiamine function. Just taking thiamine does NOT resolve hypothyroidism; there are other factors involved.

I have read that Dr. Lonsdale (thiamine expert) has said that taking TTFD thiamine for 30 days will resolve lead poisoning. My husband was having symptoms of lead poisoning after using leaded aviation gas in his lawn mower and weed eater and leaf blower. He now takes 2 capsules of TTFD (=200mg)/day and seems to have recovered. He no longer uses the leaded gasoline.
No, my temperature normalized within 45 minutes of taking a single dose of 300-350 mgs of thiamine hcl with water and away from food.
Thank you!
Take the thiamine hcl with water, but not first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. If your blood sugar is low, thiamine will lower it further and can make you feel pretty awful. Just space the thiamine 30 minutes or so before and after eating.

If you can't get passed the taste of the thiamine hcl, then I think that trying TTFD thiamine would be the way to go, assuming you can tolerate it. I was unable to tolerate it because my glutathione level was very low and TTFD uses glutathione to work; one capsule of TTFD gave me a headache that lasted 36 hours. After that trial of the single capsule, I decided the taste of thiamine hcl wasn't so bad after all. My husband takes TTFD thiamine and suffers no negative effects from it.

Yes, taking thiamine with orange juice cancels out the benefit of the thiamine.

mostlylurking

If you can't get passed the taste of the thiamine hcl, then I think that trying TTFD thiamine would be the way to go, assuming you can tolerate it. I was unable to tolerate it because my glutathione level was very low and TTFD uses glutathione to work; one capsule of TTFD gave me a headache that lasted 36 hours. After that trial of the single capsule, I decided the taste of thiamine hcl wasn't so bad after all. My husband takes TTFD thiamine and suffers no negative effects from it.
@Mjeffersondc : Please note the other option of TTFD thiamine that I mentioned above. This is an additional option that is available. The dosing amount of TTFD thiamine is much lower than the dosing for thiamine hcl because it does not have the absorption problem that the hcl type has.

Dr. Lonsdale, Dr. Chandler Marrs, and Elliot Overton all prefer TTFD thiamine for their patients/clients. I just couldn't tolerate it myself. My husband takes TTFD and is benefitting from it.

Kocky777

Forum Supporter
Hypothyroidism and thiamine deficiency have many identical symptoms. The thyroid needs thiamine to do its job, just like every other organ in the body. However, hypothyroidism is a whole other topic. I am hypothyroid; I take NP Thyroid by Accella, which is a prescription thyroid medication that I get with the help of a good endocrinologist. I also take a single 200mcg capsule of selenium daily which seems to have improved my health.

Treating thiamine deficiency PLUS treating hypothyroidism is tricky because taking too much thyroid medication can equal to giving yourself hyperthyroidism; hyperthyroidism blocks thiamine function. Just taking thiamine does NOT resolve hypothyroidism; there are other factors involved.

I have read that Dr. Lonsdale (thiamine expert) has said that taking TTFD thiamine for 30 days will resolve lead poisoning. My husband was having symptoms of lead poisoning after using leaded aviation gas in his lawn mower and weed eater and leaf blower. He now takes 2 capsules of TTFD (=200mg)/day and seems to have recovered. He no longer uses the leaded gasoline.

No, my temperature normalized within 45 minutes of taking a single dose of 300-350 mgs of thiamine hcl with water and away from food.

Take the thiamine hcl with water, but not first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. If your blood sugar is low, thiamine will lower it further and can make you feel pretty awful. Just space the thiamine 30 minutes or so before and after eating.

Yes, taking thiamine with orange juice cancels out the benefit of the thiamine.
Thank you so much!
A wealth of superb information. You are very helpful!!!
All the best to you!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals