What to do (besides training) to get stronger?

Arntor 6

Greetings everyone!

I'm fairly new to the forum, so this serves also as my introduction. I'm a 28 year old man from Slovenia. I'm into bodybuilding and strength training, doing starting strength programme currently. I've been lifting inconsistently since 2017. I've been observing that many of my friends, even those that don't lift posess greater physical strength than me. When I was a toddler, I had problems with low muscle tone, which is probably a hereditary or early lifestyle condition. Every sport I played as a youngster, I've always been on the sidelines, never advanced into competitive circles. I guess this proves that I don't have a great sport genetics. Although I've proven many times that I can beat other more talented people with a sheer power of will ;) I know that consistent time under weights is the best way to gain strength, but I'm wondering... Is there any food, supplement or ''hack'' that affects the body to improve it's strength output? A tool to use to increase muscle contraction and fires up the nervous system. I'd be really glad if anybody would have some insight to offer on increasing strength via metabolic pathways.

I hope we start an interesting discussion.

I am newer around here and have a very gym-bro understanding of physiology, but bodily strength is a function of many components. Your muscle fibers and their atp capacity, your ability to process oxygen and expel CO2, etc.

I know that consistent time under weights is the best way to gain strength,

You seem to have already said it - you need to progressively overload your weight training to be able to carry heavier weights. If your body is an ATP factory, the best way to improve ATP production and supply to the muscles is to have a strong metabolism, quality food intake, excellent sleep and so forth. If you are genetically predisposed to weakness, that's one thing - it will certainly take much longer and more effort to improve your strength measurably. If you don't mind, what kind of weights are you moving at this point? What are your stats? What is your diet like? How much sleep do you get nightly? Is your mineral intake balanced? What foods do you avoid? I am really not the expert but I have been lifting for quite a while, starting out as a very skinny and low-functioning person myself.

Tim Lundeen

Pavel's books are helpful:

The Quick and the Dead: Total Training for the Advanced Minimalist​

Kettlebell Simple & Sinister​

Hans

Forum Supporter
Greetings everyone!

I'm fairly new to the forum, so this serves also as my introduction. I'm a 28 year old man from Slovenia. I'm into bodybuilding and strength training, doing starting strength programme currently. I've been lifting inconsistently since 2017. I've been observing that many of my friends, even those that don't lift posess greater physical strength than me. When I was a toddler, I had problems with low muscle tone, which is probably a hereditary or early lifestyle condition. Every sport I played as a youngster, I've always been on the sidelines, never advanced into competitive circles. I guess this proves that I don't have a great sport genetics. Although I've proven many times that I can beat other more talented people with a sheer power of will ;) I know that consistent time under weights is the best way to gain strength, but I'm wondering... Is there any food, supplement or ''hack'' that affects the body to improve it's strength output? A tool to use to increase muscle contraction and fires up the nervous system. I'd be really glad if anybody would have some insight to offer on increasing strength via metabolic pathways.

Hard physical work quickly builds functional strength.
Baseline strength depends a lot on muscle and tendon insertions, limb lengths, nerve innervation, how active you were during childhood, nutrition during childhood, etc.

It depends on what kind of strength you want. There is a huge difference between the strength of a powerlifter, Olympic lifter and a wrestler. So train for what you want to be good at.
It also depends on your current nutrition, stress, sleep, and lifestyle in general. Stress will sap your strength. Good nutrition and high androgens will boost your strength.
But the biggest secret is consistency. If you just keep at it year after year, in 5 to 10 years, you'll bypass most people, if not all, who were stronger than you. Most people are so inconsistent they never make real progress. If they were gifted, they will lose to someone who is more consistent.

OP
Arntor 6

Arntor 6

I am newer around here and have a very gym-bro understanding of physiology, but bodily strength is a function of many components. Your muscle fibers and their atp capacity, your ability to process oxygen and expel CO2, etc.

You seem to have already said it - you need to progressively overload your weight training to be able to carry heavier weights. If your body is an ATP factory, the best way to improve ATP production and supply to the muscles is to have a strong metabolism, quality food intake, excellent sleep and so forth. If you are genetically predisposed to weakness, that's one thing - it will certainly take much longer and more effort to improve your strength measurably. If you don't mind, what kind of weights are you moving at this point? What are your stats? What is your diet like? How much sleep do you get nightly? Is your mineral intake balanced? What foods do you avoid? I am really not the expert but I have been lifting for quite a while, starting out as a very skinny and low-functioning person myself.

Thanks for the reply. I would guess I am genetically on the weaker side, but to answer your questions: (let me just say that I'm lifting now for one month after four months hiatus and progressing incrementally) currently my squat is at 95kg/210lbs for 5 reps, deadlift 100kg/220lbs for 5 reps, bench 55kg/125lbs for 5 reps, OHP 45kg/95lbs for 5 reps, bent-over row 52,5kg/120lbs for 5 reps. My squats and rows are beginning to feel quite heavy, deads and bench not so much.

I don't have a set diet; I try to eat clean, high protein foods. I aim for 150-200g of protein daily. I'd say that my food is quite of quality . I try to avoid PUFAs. My supps are atm: magnesium, glycine, zinc, vit E, creatine, occasional aspirin, maca here and there. Planning to also acquire cordyceps and vit K. My sleep is so-so, two small kids in the room, we sleep together. I shoot for 8 hours of sleep, probably get around 6,5 per night.

Last edited:
OP
Arntor 6

Arntor 6

Pavel's books are helpful:

The Quick and the Dead: Total Training for the Advanced Minimalist​

Kettlebell Simple & Sinister​

Thanks, will add to reading list!

Hard physical work quickly builds functional strength.
Baseline strength depends a lot on muscle and tendon insertions, limb lengths, nerve innervation, how active you were during childhood, nutrition during childhood, etc.

It depends on what kind of strength you want. There is a huge difference between the strength of a powerlifter, Olympic lifter and a wrestler. So train for what you want to be good at.
It also depends on your current nutrition, stress, sleep, and lifestyle in general. Stress will sap your strength. Good nutrition and high androgens will boost your strength.
But the biggest secret is consistency. If you just keep at it year after year, in 5 to 10 years, you'll bypass most people, if not all, who were stronger than you. Most people are so inconsistent they never make real progress. If they were gifted, they will lose to someone who is more consistent.

Thanks for motivational words Hans! Despite living on a farm, with all the machinery available, hard physical labour is not as common as it once was. I try to do as much things by hand as I can, but heavy working ''sessions'' are few and far inbetween.

I totally agree with the stress part. I observe greater physical capabilities when psychological stress is low. The body feels and performs different. Maybe I should focus on optimizing my relaxation practices.

I think the biggest flaw in my strength chain is my core. Do you have any advice on building tough and rigid midsection?

SamYo123

Drop the old way of bodybuilding and do functional patterns body building you'll be stronger for it because you will respect physics and physics will respect you

GreekDemiGod

I've been observing that many of my friends, even those that don't lift posess greater physical strength than me. When I was a toddler, I had problems with low muscle tone, which is probably a hereditary or early lifestyle condition. Every sport I played as a youngster
Genetics, Testosterone levels, bone thickness.

Matestube

Greetings everyone!

Training never made me any stronger.

Taking high amounts of testosterone and resting a lot have increased my strength in a very short amount of time like never before.
I beat most everyone at arm wrestling now, people I used to not be able to beat when I was strength training a lot.
Carrying heavy groceries feels like a breeze now, I had to take frequent breaks along the way when I was training.

BlackMolasses

Taking high amounts of testosterone and resting a lot have increased my strength in a very short amount of time like never before.
I beat most everyone at arm wrestling now, people I used to not be able to beat when I was strength training a lot.
Carrying heavy groceries feels like a breeze now, I had to take frequent breaks along the way when I was training.
have you stopped exercising?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Do you have any advice on building tough and rigid midsection?
My top 3 are strict hanging leg raises to the bar, yoga ball crushes with a weight on your chest (anchor your feet well) and proper ab wheel training (5x5 style). Military press, deadlift and squatting are also great for building up the core. Working the sledge hammer on a tire is also great.

Matestube

have you stopped exercising?

I play rather than exercise.
When I see a pull up bar and have energy, I will stop and do pull ups and push ups.

I need to feel something burning in me that tells me go for it.
I don't plan workout sessions ahead.

Ben.

Besides training? Optimising health w/e that entails. For example:

Good sleeping habits but also good sleeping quality (Go sleep at the same time and wake up at the same time, turn of wifi, reduce blue light exposure)
regular Sunlight exposure
optimising organ functions and energy production
mineral/trace mineral intake and its balance
minimizing endocrine disruptors (for example plastic, glyphosate and other synthetic garbage messing up enzymes and hormones)

It could also be helpful to assess your hormones/thyroid and finding out if fungi/parasites/mold/heavy metals are present or causing issues. Thoose things weaken and steal any potential and nutrients big fold. Seriously this could cost you years worth of progress.

For assesment theres also the option of checking how well and fast you recover both short term (inbetween sets) and long term (inbetween workout days). How well and fast can your body switch from excitement to rest? How quickly does your pulse and breath normalize after excercise? How well are your extremeties able to excert strength and endurance (that could point to a issue of bloodflow/nerve signaling usually related to the shoulder girdle or the spine or hip maybe trough fascia/scars or impingements).

Now for "hacking" i can't say much in terms of steroids or other performance and growth enhancing (usually illegal) substances since these are not my field of expertise but the usual suspects like inosine, creatine are worth mentioning for example. To have "seemingly" endless energy during workouts i found a sugary drink extremely beneficial compared to water. If i were to do it all again i would use a fruit juice along with electrolytes and trace elements and some added essential amino acids. Excessive proteins should be balanced with gelatine, collagen or glycine. Tons of protein could also make it worth looking into cinnamon or l-ornithine to keep ammonia in check. Taurine, choline and tudca also worthy candidates to keep in mind for liver health/protection.

Consistency is key obviously but the biggest advice i can give is to leave the ego at home and honour your joints and your body like a temple. If during a excercise a joint hurts or there is some other kind of pain, maybe dizzinness or vertigo happening for the love of god stop. Gymbro and hustler culture makes you believe to push trough with a no pain no gain mentalily but anyone working out for a while knows the difference between muscle being sore/exhausted and joint pain and hurtful tearing sensations. If you get sick with the flu, rather rest a couple days longer aswell. Quite some bodybuilders landed in the hospital with heart damage because of resuming training to quickly.

When pain happense defeniately re-evaluate your form, assess mobility and the state of your fascia/tensigrity. From there you'll know if there are accesoiry excercises needed to fix joints and your posture. This is not easy because one often has to re-teach the body and brain how to move. It will be worth it however because that can make the difference off you being a 30-40 year old person barely able to walk up a few stairs or outperforming 20 year olds.

Also make proper resting weeks like with vacations. Not even pro's in the top of their game are at their highest potential all year round. They downtrain for good reason outside of their respective seasons.

If you take one thing of this wall of text is that health trumps all. No amount of muscles or sixpack that you have for a few years is worth the pain and suffering that you might have to live with for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
OP
Arntor 6

Arntor 6

Drop the old way of bodybuilding and do functional patterns body building you'll be stronger for it because you will respect physics and physics will respect you
I do both. But currently training to raise my strength powerlifting style.

You mean I should start TRT?

My top 3 are strict hanging leg raises to the bar, yoga ball crushes with a weight on your chest (anchor your feet well) and proper ab wheel training (5x5 style). Military press, deadlift and squatting are also great for building up the core. Working the sledge hammer on a tire is also great.
Thank you, will incorporate into regimen.

OP
Arntor 6

Arntor 6

Besides training? Optimising health w/e that entails. For example:

Good sleeping habits but also good sleeping quality (Go sleep at the same time and wake up at the same time, turn of wifi, reduce blue light exposure)
regular Sunlight exposure
optimising organ functions and energy production
mineral/trace mineral intake and its balance
minimizing endocrine disruptors (for example plastic, glyphosate and other synthetic garbage messing up enzymes and hormones)

It could also be helpful to assess your hormones/thyroid and finding out if fungi/parasites/mold/heavy metals are present or causing issues. Thoose things weaken and steal any potential and nutrients big fold. Seriously this could cost you years worth of progress.

For assesment theres also the option of checking how well and fast you recover both short term (inbetween sets) and long term (inbetween workout days). How well and fast can your body switch from excitement to rest? How quickly does your pulse and breath normalize after excercise? How well are your extremeties able to excert strength and endurance (that could point to a issue of bloodflow/nerve signaling usually related to the shoulder girdle or the spine or hip maybe trough fascia/scars or impingements).

Now for "hacking" i can't say much in terms of steroids or other performance and growth enhancing (usually illegal) substances since these are not my field of expertise but the usual suspects like inosine, creatine are worth mentioning for example. To have "seemingly" endless energy during workouts i found a sugary drink extremely beneficial compared to water. If i were to do it all again i would use a fruit juice along with electrolytes and trace elements and some added essential amino acids. Excessive proteins should be balanced with gelatine, collagen or glycine. Tons of protein could also make it worth looking into cinnamon or l-ornithine to keep ammonia in check. Taurine, choline and tudca also worthy candidates to keep in mind for liver health/protection.

Consistency is key obviously but the biggest advice i can give is to leave the ego at home and honour your joints and your body like a temple. If during a excercise a joint hurts or there is some other kind of pain, maybe dizzinness or vertigo happening for the love of god stop. Gymbro and hustler culture makes you believe to push trough with a no pain no gain mentalily but anyone working out for a while knows the difference between muscle being sore/exhausted and joint pain and hurtful tearing sensations. If you get sick with the flu, rather rest a couple days longer aswell. Quite some bodybuilders landed in the hospital with heart damage because of resuming training to quickly.

When pain happense defeniately re-evaluate your form, assess mobility and the state of your fascia/tensigrity. From there you'll know if there are accesoiry excercises needed to fix joints and your posture. This is not easy because one often has to re-teach the body and brain how to move. It will be worth it however because that can make the difference off you being a 30-40 year old person barely able to walk up a few stairs or outperforming 20 year olds.

Also make proper resting weeks like with vacations. Not even pro's in the top of their game are at their highest potential all year round. They downtrain for good reason outside of their respective seasons.

If you take one thing of this wall of text is that health trumps all. No amount of muscles or sixpack that you have for a few years is worth the pain and suffering that you might have to live with for the rest of your life.

A lengthy post with a lot of info. Thank you for your time. I haven't been using much intraworkout nutrition but your advice with fruit juice sounds great.

I guess I should go and check my hormones at last. I've been putting it off for quite a while.

SamYo123

I do both. But currently training to raise my strength powerlifting style.

You mean I should start TRT?

Thank you, will incorporate into regimen.
Why is that more important than the way your gaitcycle functions?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals