What Sugar Do I Eat With Meat?

sprinter

Hi, I'm really confused as to what sugar I should be consuming with meat. I know Peat has said to avoid combining Vitamin C with Iron rich foods, but to always have sugar with protein. I don't like the idea of consuming refined sugar, so no cokes or anything for me... So when I do have liver, oysters, oxtail, what should I be having along with it (besides coffee and gelatin)?

The two things I have come up with are milk and honey. I do include some milk with meat meals, but since I'm currently only drinking full-fat raw milk, I'd be consuming too much fat if I used milk as a sugar source. Raw honey is fine I guess, but I'm wondering if there are any other options.

Also, a side question, does anyone know the fat, carb, and protein content of a cup of Raw Milk labeled 6.3% fat? This is what type of Raw Milk I get and it would be helpful to know.

Lastly, I'm 6'5, 220 pounds and like the idea of consuming mainly milk, but being that I need so many calories I feel like I have milk coming out of my ears if I don't have meat once or even twice a day. Is it ok to have this much meat or is it better to just consume milk, cheese and OJ most days along with maybe 1-2 eggs and then have liver and oysters 1x a week? Maybe I should focus on eating less meat in general and therefore be less concerned with mixing OJ with meat when I do have it?

Also what foods are considered high enough in iron to be a concern? Would 2 eggs be a high iron meal? What about shrimp? Are there any other good protein sources besides dairy that are low in iron?

marcar72

With meat I usually have a baked potato with butter and 16 oz of sweetened gelatin tea.(2 tbsp gelatin) A baked potato with butter alone would suffice for the sugar (starch) to match with the protein I would guess. Just be sure to cook it good enough. I have the sweetened gelatin tea to balance out the amino acid profile of the meat mostly.

I would dare to guess that 1 cup of that 6.3% milk you're drinking would have 8 grams of protein, 12 grams of sugar, and 15 grams of fat. I get these figures extrapolating from known values for 1%, 2%, and 3.25% milk. Basically it's roughly twice the fat content of 3.25% whole milk which is 8 grams/cup. Protein and sugar would mostly stay the same throughout the continuum of milk fat percentages unless you get to values near cream content due to displacement I would imagine. :2cents

jyb

I have a few cubes of white sugar in my gelatined coffee. It might not be enough sugar for a perfect balance, but if I feel energy deficient I can always have more sugar, or OJ if its been long enough after the meal.

OP
sprinter

sprinter

Holy Sh*t about the milk! I didn't realize the 6.3% was literally double the whole milk you get in stores. Feel like I been drinking butter. Guess I have to get pasteurized 1 or 2%.

I'm trying to avoid starch, so I guess I'll just go with the honey for now and mix it with lower fat milk. Would organic raisins be a good choice too?

Dutchie

This isnt 100% strict peat,but it is for me since theyre nutritional sugars.
Liver sauteed in maple syrup tastes good or i make a cherry sauce,or i often marinate meat in apple butter or sautee it in a balsamic reduction with some raw cane or palmsugar.
Or i roast some beets or add in some dried fruit. Beets are starchfree

Dutchie said:
Liver sauteed in maple syrup tastes good or i make a cherry sauce,or i often marinate meat in apple butter or sautee it in a balsamic reduction with some raw cane or palmsugar.

Wouldn't the sugar caramelize? I think it might also enhance the production of AGEs with the meat protein (the tasty black crust).

Dutchie

Such_Saturation said:
Dutchie said:

Wouldn't the sugar caramelize? I think it might also enhance the production of AGEs with the meat protein (the tasty black crust).

What do you mean,like with the maple syrup and balsamic sauce? The maple syrup I usually add after sauteing and mix it in and the balsamic reduction sauce I usually make in a batch and then bottle it and store it in the fridge and put over it on the end.
I dont know about the AGE,or what it is......everything has positives&negatives that you ultimately cant eat anything anymore. Worrying about all that stuff is imho more negative&stressfull than to undergo it and see how it goes. I try to be way more intuitive nowadays and way less thinking...

Mittir

Liver and muscle meat are very high in Phosphorus. It is very important
to keep the balance of calcium and phosphorus . There is some extra
benefit in adding calcium with phosphorus rich meal.
You can try milk, cheese,egg shell or oyster shell powder with phosphorus rich meal.
I am not sure about the phosphorus and iron content of ox-tail soup.
Gelatin powder has very small amount of iron and little phosphorus.
I think gelatinous part of animal has lot less iron than other parts.
Heme iron absorption is not affected by vitamin C or acidic food.
But non-heme iron is. Liver is very rich in non-heme iron and
both coffee and calcium will block this non-heme iron absorption.
Not sure about the heme iron content of oyster.

OP
sprinter

sprinter

Thanks. So it seems the most important meal to not have OJ with is liver then? I bought Danny Roddy's book and he has OJ and Milk paired with everything! I'd love to not have to worry about this if it's not that important. If I'm only eating some form of flesh once a day (or every other day) would having it with OJ with it be really bad or not that big an issue?

Mittir

sprinter said:
Thanks. So it seems the most important meal to not have OJ with is liver then? I bought Danny Roddy's book and he has OJ and Milk paired with everything! I'd love to not have to worry about this if it's not that important. If I'm only eating some form of flesh once a day (or every other day) would having it with OJ with it be really bad or not that big an issue?

Here is a RP quote on OJ and iron rich meal.

Ray Peat said:
[IRON RICH FOODS WITH ORANGE JUICE, COFFEE & MILK] Although orange juice would tend to increase iron absorption, that combination hasn't been studied. It isn't an issue for most people, only someone with an iron overload issue. The copper in oysters is protective against iron excess.
http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2011/12/ ... tandi.html

OP
sprinter

sprinter

Thanks Mittir. I had not found this quote. This was the only thing that was really making Peat eating a pain for me. I'll just have OJ with meat as I dont believe I have any type of Iron overload issue

Konabear

Re your raw milk....we pour off the cream after it separates, reducing fat content significantly. Raw fresh milk is our preference over older, shelved store bought, pasteurized milk.

Peata

I find myself craving OJ or soda with meats, and was at first denying myself this drink because of fear of iron issues. But I do not have iron overload and I decided to go with my "craving"... and then the other day I saw the RP comment Mittir referred to, and decided not to worry about it anymore, which is nice.

Mittir

sprinter said:
Thanks Mittir. I had not found this quote. This was the only thing that was really making Peat eating a pain for me. I'll just have OJ with meat as I dont believe I have any type of Iron overload issue

I think the quote is about mix of iron rich food, OJ, Coffee and milk.
Milk and coffee will decrease non-heme iron absorption and acid
in OJ will increase it. So, it is a combination of two plus and one minus.
I do not think he is recommending just meat and OJ without coffee and milk.
He mentioned that Iron Saturation index below 24% is protective against cancer.

Momado965

Is it fine to drink 8 oz of soda or juice with meals or will that impact food absorbtion by messing with stomach acid and the whole argument of that?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals