Transdermal Delivery Of Saturated Fat Changes Systemic Fatty Acid Profile

tankasnowgod

Well, I've perhaps been doing it more or less daily for about six months. After a couple of months it was funny because I constantly had to tighten the belt but at the same time I was getting heavier and heavier.

The same app on my phone (Tactio Health) now constantly sends me simultaneously two alerts. One is "you currently have an extremely low body fat percentage", the other to tell me I'm too heavy for my height (at about 90 kg for 190 cm).

I remember Ray Peat mentioning that depending on how much CO2 you're exposed to, you could get about 10 kg heavier in your bones just from CO2. And I do have the opportunity to spend a couple of weeks every couple of months at a relatively high altitude, so go figure...

Anyway, I feel that the current measures that most people use (either just the weight compared to the height, or the Body Mass Index and such) don't give you very much information about your state of health.

Nice, that's kinda what I figured. One of the nice things about the transdermal thing is that you get to see drastic improvements in your skin, daily and weekly. Although I wasn't as concerned about that, it's a nice reminder to keep doing it. I've also started to use dry ice to do a CO2 bath, probably about 1-2x a week, so maybe bones will factor into weight a bit too.

tankasnowgod

How long do you have to wait after applying coconut oil to put on clothing?

If I use it on my upper legs, I don't wait at all, cause I'm not too concerned about the oil going onto my boxers. I usually throw an older shirt on if I apply to my upper body. Nice thing about Coconut or MCT oil is that they don't oxidize, so they don't really stain clothes. Still, I generally want to avoid getting it on my newer clothes.

Luann

I used the coconut oil on my face and the skin there looked so much tighter! Only for a few hours of course. But over the long run maybe it could really do its magic.

Not sure if my skin was actually tighter or if saturated fats just give off a more "youthful" sheen than other lipids do.

And using HCO on my belly feels so strange, really stuffed and satisfied after a few minutes. Haha it feels... different.

Waga

@haidut and all:
I've been using coconut oil transdermally on my son (autistic) for about 2 months, and I'm pleased with it. He has a very damaged duodenum and can't stand oral oil supplements.
My question is:
Since PUFA (more specifically, omega 3) need bile to be emulsified and absorbed by the intestines to the blood (while MCT does not), would it be possible to use PUFA transdermally (without emulsification by bile) ?
I had bought a liposomal DHA oil, with phospholipids. Do you think it could be absorbed by the blood if used transdermally ?
Thanks in advance.

managing

@haidut and all:
I've been using coconut oil transdermally on my son (autistic) for about 2 months, and I'm pleased with it. He has a very damaged duodenum and can't stand oral oil supplements.
My question is:
Since PUFA (more specifically, omega 3) need bile to be emulsified and absorbed by the intestines to the blood (while MCT does not), would it be possible to use PUFA transdermally (without emulsification by bile) ?
I had bought a liposomal DHA oil, with phospholipids. Do you think it could be absorbed by the blood if used transdermally ?
Thanks in advance.
I can't imagine any reason it wouldn't.

But, why would you?

raypeatclips

I used the coconut oil on my face and the skin there looked so much tighter! Only for a few hours of course. But over the long run maybe it could really do its magic.

Not sure if my skin was actually tighter or if saturated fats just give off a more "youthful" sheen than other lipids do.

And using HCO on my belly feels so strange, really stuffed and satisfied after a few minutes. Haha it feels... different.

Would you say this is a positive or negative reaction?

Waga

I can't imagine any reason it wouldn't.

But, why would you?

Managing, thanks for your reply ! My son uses to have a very bad reaction to every oral oil. When it comes to the duodenum, there is the bile release, and he feels a lot of pain. That's why I'd rather use transdermal delivery.

So, just to be clear, do you believe that a PUFA (DHA - omega 3), that needs bile to be emulsified and get into the blood stream when ingested orally, can really get into the blood transdermally, without any bile ?

vulture

Lol, I would much rather be known for finding cool things that make people less dependent on large pharma companies :):
But you bring up a good point and I am sure other people reading this forum are probably capitalizing on it already. Like that guy and his blog where he sells copies of my supplements.
Are they as good and cheaper? Hahahahahaha just kidding bro

How could we know how significant and economically reasonable is applying transdermal EVCO vs oral in order to induce changes in fat profile?

managing

Managing, thanks for your reply ! My son uses to have a very bad reaction to every oral oil. When it comes to the duodenum, there is the bile release, and he feels a lot of pain. That's why I'd rather use transdermal delivery.

So, just to be clear, do you believe that a PUFA (DHA - omega 3), that needs bile to be emulsified and get into the blood stream when ingested orally, can really get into the blood transdermally, without any bile ?
Yes, they certainly would.

But what I am questioning is why would you intentionally introduce PUFA? Perhaps the strongest point Dr Peat makes is the avoidance of PUFA for health.

Waga

Yes, they certainly would.

But what I am questioning is why would you intentionally introduce PUFA? Perhaps the strongest point Dr Peat makes is the avoidance of PUFA for health.

Oh, now I got it. Well, I've never read this from Dr. Ray Peat. I'll have to do my search.
In the autism community it is almost a dogma that you must take omega 3 to reduce brain inflammation.
Thank you for your support.

Israelibacon

So if topical administration of an SFA changes the SFA:PUFA ratio, does this mean that such application changes our total daily calories?

Meaning if I apply 15g of an SFA source to my skin, do I add ~100kcals to my total daily calories consumed?

managing

Oh, now I got it. Well, I've never read this from Dr. Ray Peat. I'll have to do my search.
In the autism community it is almost a dogma that you must take omega 3 to reduce brain inflammation.
Thank you for your support.
I will caution you that some here will respond to this rudely.

I'll applaud you for seeking out the contrary opinion, which Dr. Peat's certainly is.

But yes, PLEASE do!

raypeat.com/articles/articles/unsaturated-oils.shtml
raypeat.com/articles/articles/unsaturatedfats.shtml

good start.

managing

So if topical administration of an SFA changes the SFA:PUFA ratio, does this mean that such application changes our total daily calories?

Meaning if I apply 15g of an SFA source to my skin, do I add ~100kcals to my total daily calories consumed?
This is a great question. I am inclined to say "no". Because I believe the changes we are talking about are in stored fats rather than FFA (although it will affect that ratio down the line presumably).

So that answer can stand until somebody smarter and better informed comes along and disputes/confirms.

NinaElisa

Also, as a neutral business observer, maybe it is more lucrative for IdeaLabsDC to cast off interests in well-being, longevity, and cognitive expansiveness to focus on the major commerce target, superficial appearance :^P

A few glossy stories make for blockbuster sales. Weight Watchers has a market cap of $1.7B. IIRC, major early Prozac prescribing flurry was due to consumer weight loss (placebo and anorexic) rather than improved mood. Drug reps touted this “unofficially” in doctor’s offices. :^{

Of course, there’d have to be some product re-marketing. Estroban could become BellyBulgeBan, and Mitolipin could become DownSizin. :^)

Well, google directed me to the forum while I was looking for an anti-cellulite cream with phosphatidylcholine. That's why I got mitolipin I've been using it for a week now, but I've changed so many things on my routine ( new infrared lamp, diet, exercise, magnesium), that I won't be able to write a proper review of it. Anyway, I'm confident that I will get rid of the 5 extra years I age every winter and look better on my summer holidays.

ladyhawke

I definitely feel a significant calming effect shortly after eating coconut oil. I definitely feel the same effect but maybe stronger if I put it on my skin! Its completely reliable and effective! It can turn anxiety and stress into calm in a very short time! Brilliant stuff!

I wonder what the mechanism is.

raypeatclips

I definitely feel a significant calming effect shortly after eating coconut oil. I definitely feel the same effect but maybe stronger if I put it on my skin! Its completely reliable and effective! It can turn anxiety and stress into calm in a very short time! Brilliant stuff!

I wonder what the mechanism is.

How much do you apply to the skin and what areas?

ladyhawke

I haven't looked out for a different quality or magnitude of reaction with different amounts or places.

Where i apply usually varies but I have always felt the relief- i think i have put it nearly everywhere by now. For example I just melted it between my palms yesterday and noticed the effect. It is very nice! I feel physically better too.

I think I usually use roughly 1 teaspoon at a time- I just take some with my hands from the jar without much care taken over the quantity.

Last edited:

SB4

I have problems with carbs causing worsening POTS symptoms (particularly heart pounding) and fat causing worsening of gastroparesis, leaving me in a bit of a catch22.

I wonder if anyone knows how effective applying say >20g transdemal MCT after a meal would be at reducing glucose usage? I am thinking that maybe the liver would prioritize MCT and hopefully send glucose to fat storage. Therefore I would be able to reduce my gastroparesis with carbs whilst mitigating their negative effects on POTS.

Israelibacon

I wonder if this would work with butter as well...
Additionally, could we encounter androgenic effects if we applied SFA oil to our genitals?​

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals