Topical Methylene Blue + Red Light For Skin Healing

walker_in_aus

I have an open ulcer that I can't get to heal due to a sensitive location. I've had it tested to ensure it's not anything worse than a chafed bit of skin that's unable to heal.

I have tried Zinc Cream, I have tried antifungal (tests came back for skin bacteria though) and I've tried keeping it wet with coconut oil, and dry with cotton and alcohol.

I am now trying red light, seems to have helped a lot. However I want it to heal up faster because I'm heading overseas for a few months - has anyone used methylene blue for topical skin healing? I think combined with red light it could be powerful. Will give it a go for a few days and report back.

churchmouth

I thought there is some safety concern eith combining mb and red light. I've always avoided it.

OP
walker_in_aus

walker_in_aus

I thought there is some safety concern eith combining mb and red light. I've always avoided it.
I thought it was doubley beneficial? It's being used to treat a lot of conditions... well glad I posted there does seem to be some contention!

David PS

Red light may not be the way to go. I found a rat study that speaks to the effects of different biological and physiological effects of light according to each wavelength of:

Blue LED (440-490nm) bactericidal,
Green LED (490-565nm) stimulates fibroblast on wound healing,
Yellow LED (590-630) stimulates collagen on healing mature and
Red LED (630-780nm) is anti-inflammatory.

See table 1 in:
https://www.researchgate.net/profil...on-Cutaneous-Wound-Healing-in-Wistar-Rats.pdf

OP
walker_in_aus

walker_in_aus

Thanks,

I have a combo with "yellow" and it has actually been helping! That and I decided actual sunlight would help!

Sucrates

I think red will help with healing. Blue light will kill a lot of microbes. I've used a blue "SAD" light (440nm) followed by red (670nm) with good effect on infection. Probably 4J/cm2 for both is a good start and I'd use red after blue to limit some of the damage from blue. I've read things that made me weary of MB+ red light also. It will kill pathogens and cells, seems like it's not something to mess around with unless yo do the research. A monolaurin cream or niacinamide might be worth trying too.

Methylene blue - Wikipedia

Methylene blue, when exposed to certain wavelengths of light, generates singlet oxygen (a powerful free radical). This is why it is called a 'photosensitizer', and is why it and other photosensitizers can be used for chemical reactions (they can oxidize molecules).

Here's the absorption band, from what I understand, the more absorption the more singlet oxygen: Methylene blue - Wikipedia

As you can see, it peaks at red light (600-700nm).

Now, for something like an 850nm LLLT LED 'red light', it should be absolutely fine to combine with methylene blue. I was scared a few years ago of combining methylene blue with my 850nm LED, but after looking at the absorption band I came to the conclusion it would fine.

With something like, say, an incandescent bulb, I fear it has potential for oxidative stress, strong oxidative stress at that.

OP
walker_in_aus

walker_in_aus

Methylene blue - Wikipedia

Methylene blue, when exposed to certain wavelengths of light, generates singlet oxygen (a powerful free radical). This is why it is called a 'photosensitizer', and is why it and other photosensitizers can be used for chemical reactions (they can oxidize molecules).

Here's the absorption band, from what I understand, the more absorption the more singlet oxygen: Methylene blue - Wikipedia

As you can see, it peaks at red light (600-700nm).

Now, for something like an 850nm LLLT LED 'red light', it should be absolutely fine to combine with methylene blue. I was scared a few years ago of combining methylene blue with my 850nm LED, but after looking at the absorption band I came to the conclusion it would fine.

With something like, say, an incandescent bulb, I fear it has potential for oxidative stress, strong oxidative stress at that.

So if you ever take methylene blue you should stay in the dark like a mushroom? so many people have reported benefits :(

tara

I would not use methylene blue in an open sore unless you are happy to risk a random tatooing effect in the area long after.

Have you tried straight honey? Or even packing it with granulated sugar?
I think honey has a long history for wound healing, and granulated sugar or similar has had studies done in recent decades for diabetic leg ulcers and internal infections after surgery etc, IIRC.

OP
walker_in_aus

walker_in_aus

I would not use methylene blue in an open sore unless you are happy to risk a random tatooing effect in the area long after.

Have you tried straight honey? Or even packing it with granulated sugar?
I think honey has a long history for wound healing, and granulated sugar or similar has had studies done in recent decades for diabetic leg ulcers and internal infections after surgery etc, IIRC.
Hi Tara,

Thanks, I had considered honey. I found three consecutive days of very exposed sunbaking has actually done wonders, but I might use honey for the rest of the week as well just to be safe. I can't believe I didn'tthink of it, I used to use it on bad acne (don't get that anymore yayyy).

Mawbi

Yes! Both RLT and MB are beneficially impactful in profound ways, but, please do NOT use (biphasic) RLT on days Methylene Blue is used. This article discusses the shared mechanism of action -- which would compound the impact of RLT and push cells to the oxidative side of the biphasic response.

Protection against neurodegeneration with low-dose methylene blue and near-infrared light

ddjd

Dave Clark

So, I guess if you use MB you should stay out of the sun? If that's the case, I'll take the sun over MB, but would like both.

Inaut

Pretty sure haidut mentioned waiting half an hour before exposure to bright light. I think under 15mg it’s relatively safe and at 1mg, I don’t think it’s cause for concern.

Dave Clark

Pretty sure haidut mentioned waiting half an hour before exposure to bright light. I think under 15mg it’s relatively safe and at 1mg, I don’t think it’s cause for concern.
Are you referring to oral dosing or topical dosing? And by bright light do you mean red light, or any bright light. This whole MB and light is confusing to me.

Inaut

Oh apologies. Oral. I need to read better. Sorry folks. I’ll sit in the corner with my cap on

Dave Clark

See, that is the part that confuses me also, if waiting a half hour is okay before light exposure, what about the fact (at least what I read) that MB has a half life of 12 hours in your body and doesn't clear out until about 30 hours. One half an hour doesn't make sense to me. Not trying to be contrary, just trying to understand how to approach using both of these protocols without creating problems.

Inaut

I follow your logic though @Dave Clark. For some reason I’m not concerned with exposure to red light - my lsg1 light (near infrared and uv could be a little more suspect IMO if overexposed.)

golder

I know this is rather old, but it would still be nice if someone could help. I use a combination of quite strong IR/red/UV/heat lamps throughout the day, and I've put my MB on hold because some people say its a great combination, and others are saying its dangerous. Would someone be able to help? Thanks guys!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals