Thymoquinone, Black Cumin: Peat Mentioned In Interview

Philomath

Momado965

For those interested in gaining the benefits, you may want to try the seeds themselves. Total lipids are about 28% and pufa is 50-60%. A 5g dose amounts to .8g of pufa. I take the same or less that dosage daily.

For those interested in gaining the benefits, you may want to try the seeds themselves. Total lipids are about 28% and pufa is 50-60%. A 5g dose amounts to .8g of pufa. I take the same or less that dosage daily.

Why? What do you notice.

ddjd

i asked ray:
"Hi Ray,
do you know if its possible to get Thymoquinone extract as a powder supplement, would it be better due to much lower/zero PUFA due to it not being an oil?"

he said
"A chemical supplier, such as Spectrum or Sigma, would have a fairly pure form."

Dave Clark

I was looking for black cumin seed extract in powder form, and the only place I could find it was Bad Monkey Botanicals. I would call them first to see if they have it, their availability is dicey sometimes on some of their products. That's my only complaint with BMB, their products are good quality and good prices.

TNT

Black cumin seed oil is a seed oil. How does this jibe with Ray Peat's recommendation to avoid all seed oils?

TNT

have you read the two comments above yours?

Yes, but it's not clear to me that that would serve the purpose of avoiding PUFAs or offer the same benefits as the black seed oil. I've taken an alcohol-based extract of black seed oil, and it's just not the same as the actual oil, so I wondered if he's directly addressed this issue of PUFAs and BSO, or if this is an exception to that.

Pompadour

Black cumin oil is a no no, because it is one of the fastest to oxidise. Once i collaborated with aromatherapy company and we tested a lot of cumin oil out of curiosity - all was severly oxidised :( After that all of the collegues have stopped to drink it.
So, like it was here already suggested, it is better to take seeds (i think the whole seed is better than isolated oil) or straight Thymoquinone.

TNT

@Pompadour , can the seeds be digested? They're hard little things, and I imagine they would go right through the GI tract undigested, maybe even creating some irritation as they get lodged into crevices.

Pompadour

@TNT the seeds must be thorough chewed or crashed before eating - it must be helpful to grind them.
But they are also very stimulating for digestion - one can have a strong reflux - heartburn because of it. So better to be carefull and try with a small quantity.

Dave Clark

Wondering why the thymoquinone can't be extracted away from the PUFA oils and made into a powder/supplement?

TNT

Is it only the thymoquinone that has medicinal value in black cumin seed oil? Seems me to that most of the time, when we just extract one isolated part of a plant, we are missing the full complement of supporting elements that are necessary for its optimal effect.

RealNeat

"North American Herb and Spice" by Dr. Cass Ingram has the best black seed oil Ive tasted. Unfortunately it is in plastic, Im guessing this is because of shipping. The black seed is said to be cold pressed in Turkey where it is sourced therefore they don't have to irradiate it. In Turkey it is used on almost all the pastries, a very common and tasty ingredient. Traditionally the whole seed is consumed with a spoonfull of honey. All the seeds Ive tasted in the US have a rancid smell to them where the ones in Turkey just smell fresh and medicinal. The thymoquinone is very strong however and though I have no proof, it seems to be somewhat protective of the oil.

Error - Cookies Turned Off

Physicochemical properties and stability of black cumin (Nigella sativa) seed oil as affected by different extraction methods - ScienceDirect

Error - Cookies Turned Off

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom